Wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#1 Post by BarryK »

I have announced Wary 0.7 on my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01792

Please reports bugs. I welcome feedback on the mix-n-match concept, especially any ideas to improve it. If it looks good, I might add Quirky to the mix, so not only can you choose a kernel but also whether you want a Wary or a Quirky Puppy.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

My initial reaction is that this is making life way too complicated. If a newcomer has an older machine that won't run the latest Puppy, they need an alternative that's based on an ISO. And there are lots of ready-made choices - Puppy 431, Ttuuxxx's Classic Pup 2.14X, and johnbiles' new offering.

The same holds for Quirky. There are many community members who like the basic 100 MB Puppy and are waiting patiently for Quirky 1.3 as an ISO.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'm with rcrsn51. There's Puppy for enthusiasts who like to tinker and want to help with development, which I suppose is Quirky, or Wary, I'm not sure. Then there's Puppy for people who just want a simple, easy-to-use operating system that just works. Again, I'm not sure which Puppy that is. I thought it was 4.3.1, but has that changed to Lucid Puppy?

It seems to me that the profusion of Puppy-related websites and webpages, some of which are not maintained up to date, makes it confusing for a beginner to figure out which Puppy to use. Especially considering the breakneck speed of Puppy's evolution. I guess that's a problem common to anything developed by a collaborative effort of volunteers on the internet. :(

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

Barry,

I think this is a great idea. Yes its perhaps too complicated for newbies, but they have Lupu-5.xx which is incredibly easy to use.

This is a good intermediary step for users to become developers, not as complicated as "woofing" your own but requiring some understanding of the Linux system and the Puppy system in particular.

Also makes downloading way more efficient if you want to try all versions.

Cheers, J

BTW - How hard would it be to modify init to allow selection of Puppy system at boot? Then the same vmlinuz, initrd.gz and zdrv could be used with multiple versions of Puppy.

Billtoo

#5 Post by Billtoo »

I made the iso and burned it to a dvd then did a frugal install on a freshly formatted hard drive.
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+
Memory 1555MB (118MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.07
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 03 Sep 2010 10:54:14 AMEDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio AdapterCMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.27.47 (i686)
Compiled #1 Sun Jun 6 11:09:12 GMT-8 2010
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.3.4 (GCC)
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.07
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.4.2

I used xorgwizard on first boot and chose probe (still using it)
The computer has an ATI radeon x1600 pro agp grahics card that I installed.
I compiled lxterminal and it isn’t working properly, it doesn’t seem to erase old text which may show up on a new line, I used vte_0.24.3 which works in lupu but maybe not wary.
I’m going to do another wary 070 with a newer kernel and see how that goes :)
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Great idea

#6 Post by gjuhasz »

jrb wrote:I think this is a great idea. Yes its perhaps too complicated for newbies, but they have Lupu-5.xx which is incredibly easy to use.
Also makes downloading way more efficient if you want to try all versions.
Wow!

I downloaded all versions and begun testing with 2.6.27.47 while you were uploading the rest :wink:

My findings (frugal install, ISO still not created):

1. All versions work, the files are OK.

2. Video is still incompatible with virtual environment. Neither VirtualBox nor VMware could be set for Xorg. Xvesa works with all versions, in both virtual environment.

3. Network (LAN) autoconnects except at 2.6.27.47.

I will check the above on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 this night.

Short notes:

Barry, I second jrb. The new concept is excellent. Either, I don't think that this version targets newbies. However, intermediate testers would better help you if they could use a common virtualized platform. VM support can be provided by sfs file(s).

rcrsn51, Flash, I am sure that a Wary :) ety of ISO files will be created and commented soon by the community.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Great idea. Makes it very easy to try different kernels as the only big download is the sfs.
Test.doc crashes Abiword. Dont you just love Abiword :)

Code: Select all

abiword: symbol lookup error :/usr/lib/libabiword-2.8.so: undefined symbol: _wvf
ree
Last edited by DaveS on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

chrismt

#8 Post by chrismt »

This idea is cool but I have seen this idea with another Linux distro called Slax

It was great if we also had a similar website that makes this easier

http://www.slax.org

I don't have a cd burner in this Puppy PC

I download and burn dvds in my Windows 7 PC

What should I do?

James C

#9 Post by James C »

chrismt wrote: I don't have a cd burner in this Puppy PC

I download and burn dvds in my Windows 7 PC

What should I do?
You could download everything to your Puppy PC, build the iso,copy to a flash drive and move it to the Windows box and burn to disc.
Or, as it says in the readme, just download and do a manual frugal install.......that's what I just did.
HTH.

James C

#10 Post by James C »

Interesting idea. :)

I just downloaded the necessary files and did a manual frugal install of the 2.6.27.47 version on this old P3 test box.Seems to be working fine,posting from it now.
Also, on my main Linux box, downloaded everything and built the 2.6.30.5 and 2.6.34.1 versions into isos.Will give them a test later.
No problems here at all.

Terryphi

kernel 2.6.34.1

#11 Post by Terryphi »

I upgraded my frugal install of Wary 060 to 070 kernel 2.6.34.1 on my desktop system with a wired connection and everything I have tested so far has worked OK. I have not tested wireless on my laptop yet.

One quibble: Flashplayer version included is out of date. I updated to latest version which is 10.1.82.76 .

One oddity I have noticed in recent versions of Wary is that fast scrolling in Opera 10.61 (and now 10.62) causes smearing of text. This does not happen when using Seamonkey or Firefox.

Terryphi

#12 Post by Terryphi »

I certainly like the mix and match idea - and I would like to see Quirky added as an option.

James C

#13 Post by James C »

Burned 2.6.34.1 to disc and posting from it now, live pfix=ram.Doesn't appear to use a lot of resources, see screenshot.

Seems like the old P3(733 mhz w/256 mb ram) prefers the older 2.6.27.47 kernel while this newer box (Athlon XP 2.0 ghz w/1gb ram) likes the new kernel.
Attachments
2.6.34.1.png
(25.95 KiB) Downloaded 2099 times

sinc

#14 Post by sinc »

I think its a fantastic idea. I just built an iso. Its still a bit of a manual process, if it were possible to add download links to your directions page that would be helpful. And if at some point all a person had to do was click each option and then it the package took care of itself would make it easier. GREAT thinking to try to allow people choices. :D

shinobar

SFS version

#15 Post by shinobar »

Hi, Barry,

Sorry i do not yet running the new Warry-007, but looking up the code in woof September 3, 2010.

Regarding the sfs version, the bootmanager has the code:

SFSSTR='squashfs, version 3' #v423
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 28 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4' #v423
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4' #100607
Is it right for the kernel 2.6.28? or should be '-gt 27'?
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 27 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4'
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4'

The concept of 'mix-n-match' is nice idea for the developers i think.
If there is a chance that you or someone provides older kernel, next code may be useful in rc.sysinit.
The Puppy-431JP(Japanese edition) has such a code before '###PERSONAL BOOT SCRIPT###' because the 3 kernel version of Puppy-431JP were build up with the similar concept of 'mix-n-match'.
Of course the main sfs file was converted for the older kernel which uses sfs version 3.

# correct mksquashfs/unsquashfs version
KERNELSUBVER=$KERNMAJ
#KERNELSUBVER=`echo -n "$KERNVER" | cut -f 3 -d '.' | cut -f 1 -d '-' | cut -f 1 -d '_'` #v423 100831
SUB_SUB_KERNELVER=`echo -n "$KERNVER" | cut -f 1 -d '-' | cut -f 4 -d '.'` #100607
SFSVER=3
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 27 ] &&  SFSVER=4
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSVER=4
for F in mksquashfs unsquashfs; do
  ln -sf /usr/sbin/$F$SFSVER /usr/sbin/$F
done
Hope to be something helpful.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: SFS version

#16 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:Hi, Barry,

Sorry i do not yet running the new Warry-007, but looking up the code in woof September 3, 2010.

Regarding the sfs version, the bootmanager has the code:

SFSSTR='squashfs, version 3' #v423
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 28 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4' #v423
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4' #100607
Is it right for the kernel 2.6.28? or should be '-gt 27'?
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 27 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4'
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSSTR='squashfs, version 4'

The concept of 'mix-n-match' is nice idea for the developers i think.
If there is a chance that you or someone provides older kernel, next code may be useful in rc.sysinit.
The Puppy-431JP(Japanese edition) has such a code before '###PERSONAL BOOT SCRIPT###' because the 3 kernel version of Puppy-431JP were build up with the similar concept of 'mix-n-match'.
Of course the main sfs file was converted for the older kernel which uses sfs version 3.

# correct mksquashfs/unsquashfs version
KERNELSUBVER=$KERNMAJ
#KERNELSUBVER=`echo -n "$KERNVER" | cut -f 3 -d '.' | cut -f 1 -d '-' | cut -f 1 -d '_'` #v423 100831
SUB_SUB_KERNELVER=`echo -n "$KERNVER" | cut -f 1 -d '-' | cut -f 4 -d '.'` #100607
SFSVER=3
[ $KERNELSUBVER -gt 27 ] &&  SFSVER=4
[ $KERNELSUBVER -eq 27 ] && [ $SUB_SUB_KERNELVER -gt 46 ] && SFSVER=4
for F in mksquashfs unsquashfs; do
  ln -sf /usr/sbin/$F$SFSVER /usr/sbin/$F
done
Hope to be something helpful.
shinobar,
My code is correct. Squashfs 4.0 was merged in the 2.6.29 kernel. However I backported 4.0 to the 2.6.27.47 kernel, and I intend to do so for any 2.6.27.x upgrades -- I think Iguleder has already done this. All other kernels prior to 2.6.29 have Squashfs 3.x.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

Right now I'm recompiling the 2.6.30.5 kernel in Puppy 4.3.1. It is configured unchanged from before, as I want all prior 3rd-party modules to continue to work. The only change is that I have upgraded Aufs -- this is required to support features in latest Woof.

I will upload this kernel to the 'mix-n-match' directory on ibiblio.org when it is ready.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

I would like to get some feedback on X in Puppy 4.3.1 compared with that in Wary. Did your video work properly in 4.3.1 but issues in Wary, or vice-versa?

The reason that I am asking this is that I compiled all the base packages for Wary using Xorg 7.3+, the "+" means the last releases of Xorg packages before they went up to Xorg 7.4. Approximately I am using the same Xorg packages as in Debian Lenny.

That includes the xorg-server 1.4.2. However, Puppy 4.3.1 uses the very first version of xorg-server that was released for Xorg 7.3: 1.3.0.0.

If the majority viewpoint is that video in 4.3.1 (and 4.2.x) is better, I am thinking that I will do a complete recompile in T2 with the original Xorg 7.3, same pkg versions as used in 4.3.1. Quite a lot of work in going through all that again, but if Wary's thing is falling back to rock-solid older packages then I will go back to whatever is the best, especially on older hardware. Heck, 4.3.1 works fine on all my recent netbooks.

Billtoo

#19 Post by Billtoo »

I don't believe I've ever run 431 on this computer but here's how it went with wary 070:

I made an iso of the 2.6.30.5 kernal and burned it to a dvd.
Booted with pfix=ram
Did the setup wizards and rebooted to create a save file.
Put devx in mount home, chose resize save file and rebooted.
Downloaded nvidia pet from the forum and installed it.
Compiled a few apps (lxterminal now works properly)

# glxgears
42087 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8417.247 FPS
50277 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10055.248 FPS
50285 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10056.954 FPS
50261 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10052.061 FPS
50305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10060.807 FPS
50313 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10062.402 FPS
#
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3374MB (163MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.07
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 03 Sep 2010 09:21:04 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.30.5 (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP Tue Sep 1 15:48:26 GMT-8 2009
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.07
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
Version 3.2.0 NVIDIA 190.53
Direct Rendering Yes

edit: I've been running pmusic and it works good but if I go to run nexuiz at the same time pmusic is the only sound that I can hear.
I compiled moc (an mp3 player) and I can have that playing music and have nexuiz running at the same time and hear the music fine but can still hear the guns blazing away in nexuiz.

edit: We had a power failure earlier today and it lasted for a couple of hours so I went for a nap, the power must have come back on just before I got up because when I passed the computer room I saw that the computer had rebooted and 070 was doing a fsck on sdb1.A few minutes later it is finished and all is well.

edit: I added the newest opera browser and it's working well.I also added icewm.
I've added several radio and tv presets to pupradio/tv and it's working well except in puptv the voice is a little out of sync with the video.

edit:I downloaded the updated 2.6.30.5 kernel from ibiblio and burned another dvd,I am using my old savefile.The hardinfo report now shows:
Compiled #2 SMP Sat Sep 4 11:55:07 GMT-8 2010
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 23:52, edited 5 times in total.

JonT

#20 Post by JonT »

Wary 2.6.27.47 version, frugal install on Dell Inspiron 1100, Intel 845 graphics, works perfectly with the i810 driver. The intel driver gives uncertain restarts of X (sometimes multiple xwins to start, sometimes with no text visible, as in Lucid 511rc). Xvesa refuses to even try, exits to prompt immediately. Wireless with ath5k driver is straightforward and stable. Will try the other versions over a few days.

Having this difficult graphics chipset, I am glad to see your mix-n-match experiment.

Seeing your recent post about older versions, I dug out my 411 CD and am using it now. I recalled that 411 has a link named i810_drv.so but not the file itself. Your blog provided the file. It had been saved on another partition. This time I knew how to install it from the command line after a failed xorgwizard probe with "intel". Old Home Days. [edit: that's 421 not 412.]

I coincidentally downloaded 412 Retro (kernel 2.6.21.7) earlier today to see if its drivers would solve the Lucid 511rc problem (no) but it, 412, also runs flawlessly with i810, not intel. IIRC, 431 gave me problems having to choose between an intolerably hyperactive touchpad or slower graphics. I will check out 431.
Last edited by JonT on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.