Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone,
Ladislav who runs Distrowatch says he gets this error when booting Legacy OS ?
I can't boot your new release. The message is "ERROR, cannot find
Puppy on 'idecd' boot media."

I had no problems with your previous versions.

Ladislav
I've read 2 comments on this forum that shows Legacy OS is booting for those 2 users?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

I've successfully booted the live cd of Legacy OS on two different computers......my old P3 with an old dvd-rom drive and my main Linux box with a new dvd-rw drive...............no problems on either computer.

EDIT:
Just successfully booted the live cd on my XP box w/ a cd-rw drive too.

sullysat

#3 Post by sullysat »

Hey john,

I'm running live in a virtual box with 256MB of RAM and its working fine so far. Boots good.
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

calexand

#4 Post by calexand »

Hello John,
Will not load for me. I get a "hard" freeze and have to turn machine off.
IBM 8141-2JU/P4HT 3.0GhZ/1 Gig RAM/Intel i915 Graphics/80 GiB SATA/Gigabit Ethernet/C-Media 5.1 Surround sound PCI card.

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Just in case a non-booting condition exists because of some graphics issue, the three computers I successfully booted Legacy OS in have the following onboard graphics...............
Intel 810, S3 Graphics ProSavage and Intel 865.....all allowed successful booting of the live cd.
HTH>

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

No problems on several machines. This distro behaves better than anything since Puppy v1.0.8r1.
However:
IBM 8141-2JU/P4HT 3.0GhZ/1 Gig RAM/Intel i915 Graphics/80 GiB SATA
doesn't sound much like a 'legacy' machine to me.
Just when will the message get through to that nation?!
Don't use Intel cpu, don't use Intel graphics chipsets, don't throw dosh at that worthless company, you don't need 3GHz nor 1Gb RAM to run a compact distro. It ain't 'patriotic' to behave like a lemming, that's what folks who use the other OS do. Sell that box and build yourself something more reliable with recycled parts from your local amenity dump or wherever. Rip off your go-faster stripes.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

I got the same message as shown in your first post when I tried to boot from a CD.
When I tried from a frugal install, vmlinuz loaded, initrd.gz loaded, a search was done of all my hard drive partitions for a personal settings file, and then I got the same message as I previously stated.

The PC is a Compaq Presario with AMD dual-core processor, SATA cdrom and SATA harddrive with secondary PATA harddrive.
3 gigs memory. Nvidia video card. And an Adaptec scsi card.

calexand

#8 Post by calexand »

Wow. Just unbelievably wow...
CA

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

1. Failure to load.
Last successful line:
Mounting /dev/hdc on (/initrd)/mnt/dev_ro1... Done
First line to fail:
Mntg pup_214.sfs off /dev/hdc...mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2... FAILED

2. Hardware:
Mobo = ASUS A7A266 [2002]
CPU = 1000MHz AMD Athlon
RAM = 3x256MB
Nvidia NV5M64 [RIVA TNT model 64/model 64 pro](rev 15)
Pioneer DVD-RW

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

RAM = 3x256MB
Might be worth unhooking one of those Ram strips? Some board/OS combinations don't like/won't work with all three slots populated. What does the ASUS manual say?

Roger Hunter

#11 Post by Roger Hunter »

It won't boot on my Gateway P4 system.

Dies at entering the number of puppy install to be used.

Must not like my USB keyboard because it won't respond to any keypress.

Roger

wuwei

#12 Post by wuwei »

I get a similar message as Ladislav does:
cannot find Puppy on 'idehd'
Did a frugal install directly from the ISO to a subdirectory on my Linux partition (4 files). Grub stanza is (no pupsave yet):

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title LegacyOS Frugal-ext3 (on /dev/hdb5)
  rootnoverify (hd1,4)/legacy
  kernel (hd1,4)/legacy/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=hdb5 PUPMODE=12 SFSFILE=ext3,hdb5,/legacy/pup_214.sfs ZDRV=ext3,hdb5,/legacy/zdrv_214.sfs 
  initrd (hd1,4)/legacy/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
Am I right in assuming that using a subdirectory might cause the problem? Puppies of series 2 didn't have that option, yet, if I recall correctly.
Does Legacy? Ttuuxxx's 214X does have the subdirectory option, though.

Oh, and PMEDIA=idehd makes no difference at all.
Last edited by wuwei on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#13 Post by James C »

I'm still having no problem booting the cd.......running live on my main Linux box now.All ide drives if that could be a clue.

8-bit

#14 Post by 8-bit »

I got the CD to boot fully on a DELL desktop with IDE drives and 384 megs of ram and a 900mhz intel processor.
Also, had to run vesa as my Radon Rage 64meg video card did not work to bring me to a working desktop.
The reaction time on clicking on anything was really slow.
And I do not know if it was just being slow, but clicking on a desktop icon seemed to not work whereas selecting the same app from the menu did.
But it was still very slow.
On my other desktop PC with the SATA drive and SATA dvd R/W, it booted the kernel, initrd.gz, and then did a search of all drives for a personal settings file and dropped to a grub command line, not being able to find the files it needed on the CD.
The checksum on the ISO was ok also.

Sylvander

#15 Post by Sylvander »

1. @ Sage
"What does the ASUS manual say?"
I'm no expert, but...
It seems to me to be saying that:
All 3 SDR DIMM sockets can hold 3 matching 64/128/256/512MB/1GB RAM cards.
So all should be OK, and seem to be so for lots of other Puppies.

davec51

Frugal Booting

#16 Post by davec51 »

I tried to make a frugal install right from the iso, as I always do with new versions of Puppy. At first I couldn't boot because I had "root=/dev/sda1" instead of " . ./hda1." Then the boot went further. I put the main Puppy file directly in the root of the partition instead of in my "legacyos" folder, and it went a bit further. But I still can't get all the way to the desktop.

svgt

Can't boot from hda1 with full install

#17 Post by svgt »

Hi,

I am twiddling half an hour with boot trials. The live cd is booting without problems.I did the full install, called here coexist.

I limited the installation to exactly one ext2 partition and a swap file. nothing else,

First I got from grub (in mbr) -file not found - because vmlinuz was not in /boot/vmlinuz. I changed it to /vmlinuz. The next message was a problem with initrd.

Kernel panic - no init found - proposal to hand over init= parameter

My grub parameters in menu.lst are:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal

Regards
Svgt

DFI AZ30-TL - 1.7GHz single core Athlon - 768 MB RAM - 7 years old

john biles

#18 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,

Legacy OS is built on Puppy 2.14 and the only major change is the updating of glibc 2.3.5 to Puppy series 3's glibc 2.5 like ttuuxxx did with 2.14x

Nothing else system wise had been changed. So anything ttuuxxx incorporated in to 2.14x from later puppy series isn't included in Legacy OS sorry!
Am I right in assuming that using a subdirectory might cause the problem? Puppies of series 2 didn't have that option, yet, if I recall correctly.
Does Legacy? Ttuuxxx's 214X does have the subdirectory option, though.

Oh, and PMEDIA=idehd makes no difference at all.
Hello wuwei, Legacy OS doesn't have the subdirectory option like ttuuxxx's 2.14x sorry!
At first I couldn't boot because I had "root=/dev/sda1" instead of " . ./hda1." Then the boot went further.
Hello davec51, Legacy OS still uses kernel 2.6.18.1 and internal Hard Drives are still seen as "hda" not "sda" like later kernels use.

In testing I use 4 PC's ranging from a 500mhz celeron to a 3ghz Pentium 4, 2 Laptops / 1 800mhz Pentium 3 and 1 duo core 1.8ghz 3 year old Laptop and all boot straight from the CD drive? I see some users are passing on commands etc when booting up from the CD. what happens if you just let the CD boot normally without doing anything?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

James C

#19 Post by James C »

I've booted Legacy OS on 3 different machines, the two lower spec boxes I let boot normally.....no boot parameters added. The other box (2.6 dual-core w/2.5 gb ram booted pfix=ram.

James C

#20 Post by James C »

For what its worth, Legacy OS has booted on 4 of 4 computers here.I grabbed another box off the shelf, booted pfix=ram and posting with it now.
AMD Duron 1.4 ghz w/384 mb ram and 1gb swap.

Using a lot of ram and swap but it's running pretty quick. :)