Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 14 Dec 2019, 07:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 59 [878 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug 2010, 19:49    Post subject:  

I apologize for monopolizing the thread lately, but I have been making some progress towards getting a flash capable distro down under 16MB.

The latest progress is libflashplayer. I was contemplating getting a license from adobe to compile flashlite4, but I was able to hack flashplugin-7.0r73 to identify itself as 9.0r99 and view youtube in seamonkey-gtk1-1.1.19 - the 999kb pet is available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=443992
(note: flash7 is pretty cpu intensive)

goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug 2010, 03:30    Post subject:  

technosaurus - no need for apologize - just not easy catching up on all your input... Very Happy
I have tested your flash approach - works great - reducing size of libflashplayer.so with almost 70%!
Are you using SeaMonkey for your 16Mb Flash-distro?
I have tried to get a 1.1.19-gtk1 version of Seamonkey to work inside pupngo but I cant get it to report any plugins - think I still miss some libs...and final ISO gets above 20Mb...
Any chance to use a standalone flash-player that other browsers (ex. links) could point to if needed?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug 2010, 05:02    Post subject:  

the 4.3 kernel supports an lzma compressed initrd - so that helps (there is a patch available for xz but the compression is about the same)... just gunzip initrd.gz and then lzma -9 initrd and modify your menu.lst (or equivalent for the iso)

It seems that every gtk1 build of seamonkey (including mine) somehow pulls in extra dependencies - unfortunately much of mozilla is poorly documented so it will probably take several more builds to get the right enable/disable mix - I may eventually end up doing a puppy from scratch where I can better control the build environment and hand select version numbers of packages for size, stability and dependencies. The older static-qt3 version of Opera seems to be the best bang for the buck for now, since this version of flash doesn't require gtk.

Barry compiled a special patched version of swfdec that may also work.

p.s. I also managed to get flash 7.0 to dress up as flash 10.1 - the process should work for flash 9.0 as well & it is still being updated
here is the process:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
wget -c http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp7_archive.zip
unzip fp7_archive.zip
tar -xf fp7_archive/r73/install_flash_player_7_linux_r73.tar.gz
cat install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so |sed -e "s/7.0 r73/10.1 r9/g" >/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
rm -rf fp7_archive.zip install_flash_player_7_linux_r73.tar.gz install_flash_player_7_linux fp7_archive

technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug 2010, 03:38    Post subject:  

I dug up a precompiled Xvesa from the xfree86 site that is pretty small, seems to work and uses few resources. I already stripped and upx'd the binary in my attachment but the dependencies are only lib{c,m,z}, so it should work just about anywhere as is.

it came from one of the Xtinyx tarballs here:
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.8.0/binaries/
(in case anyone wants the card specific/accelerate versions:
Xchips,Xfbdev,Xi810,Xigs,Xipaq,Xmach64,Xsavage,Xsis530,Xtrident,Xtrio,Xts300)
newxvesa.png
 Description   
 Filesize   22.13 KB
 Viewed   1720 Time(s)

newxvesa.png

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug 2010, 00:26    Post subject:  

Just an add-on to the Xvesa collection: Xvesa static build cut out of BL3...
Installed size 850K.

Below compiled via buildroot.
A static build of udev - only udevd is needed but everything included - reduce your memory usage by approx. 1Mb compared to shared build.

squash3.4 (unsquashfs and mksquashfs) static build.

squash4 (unsquashfs and mksquashfs) static build.

sysklogd-1.4.1 static build. Reduces the ram usage from BusyBox´s 1500K to 192K for klogd and 164K for syslogd.

autologinroot static build.
autologinroot-ulib_static.tar.gz
Description  autologin static build
gz

Download 
Filename  autologinroot-ulib_static.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.58 KB 
Downloaded  455 Time(s) 
sysklogd-1.4.1.tar.gz
Description  sysklogd-1.4.1-static build.
gz

Download 
Filename  sysklogd-1.4.1.tar.gz 
Filesize  71.92 KB 
Downloaded  312 Time(s) 

Last edited by goingnuts on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 15:28; edited 3 times in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug 2010, 04:17    Post subject:  

Ad blocking gui for dialog or Xdialog-gtk1
Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ -z $DISPLAY ] && DIALOG=dialog || DIALOG=Xdialog
[ ! -f /etc/hosts.usr ] && touch /etc/hosts && cp -f /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.usr #back up original
for x in `$DIALOG --stdout --checklist "Choose your ad blocking service(s)" 0 0 6 1 "mvps.org" off 2 "systcl.org" off 3 "technobeta.com" off 4 "yoyo.org" off 5 "turn off adblocking" ON 6 "manually edit" off |tr "/" " " |tr '\"' ' '`; do
   case $x in
   1)wget -c -4 -t 0 -O /tmp/adlist1 'http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt';;
   2)wget -c -4 -t 0 -O /tmp/adlist2 'http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts';;
   3)wget -c -4 -t 0 -O /tmp/adlist3 'http://www.technobeta.com/download/urlfilter.ini';;
   4)wget -c -4 -t 0 -O /tmp/adlist4 'http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=0&mimetype=plaintext';;
   5)ln -sf /etc/hosts.usr /etc/hosts && exit;;
   6)[ -z $DISPLAY ] && $DIALOG --editbox /etc/hosts 0 0 && exit || vi /etc/hosts && exit;;#dialog has no editbox so try vi which is cli and in busybox
   *)echo $x;;
   esac
done
touch /tmp/adlist{1,2,3,4} #in case they weren't downloaded
cat /etc/hosts.usr /tmp/adlist{1,2,3,4} |sed 's/^[ \t]*//' |sed 's/\t/ /g' |sed 's/  / /g' |grep ^[1-9] |dos2unix -u |sort |uniq > /etc/hosts.adblock
ln -sf /etc/hosts.adblock /etc/hosts
rm -f /tmp/adlist{1,2,3,4} #need to remove or unwanted lists will be added
#todo add whitelist

Last edited by technosaurus on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 23:05; edited 1 time in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 23:01    Post subject:  

I posted the minimp3 player in the programming thread, but this time I compiled it against dietlibc and it is even smaller (30kb uncompressed) and uses only about 1/4th the ram (~400kb vs ~1700kb) and almost no cpu
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59417

goingnuts

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 01:09    Post subject:  

The minimp3 runs fine in pupngo - the new minimp3-builds ver0.3..

Made me wonder if alsa is needed at all to get sound...Probably common knowledge but I did remove all alsa-stuff from pupngo-build and still got sound from minimp3 (and xmms if present). Saving around 1600-1800K installed...
Funny thing is that a music mp3-file I use as test file is around 7Mb - almost doubles iso-build size...
Now if we could have a small mixer as well...more wants more...
Added 030910: After removing alsa the only three programs using ncurses left is grub, dialog and setterm. As most wizards already can run without dialog I wipped that one out. After trying to compile grub without need for ncurses (and all my trials failed) I found a grub bin inside geexbox that did not need ncurses. Setterm is only used for marking the actual date using xcal so that can be excluded...
Included aumix mentioned below as audio-mixer.
Now iso build size is below the targeted 8Mb (7964K) without loosing functionality...

Last edited by goingnuts on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 01:59; edited 1 time in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 05:19    Post subject:  

/proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
seems to have the data

maybe this Xdialog script could be adapted to work (gtk1 version)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
VOLUME=`amixer get Master | grep 'Mono:' | cut -d '%' -f 1 | cut -d '[' -f 2`
VOLUME=`Xdialog --stdout --under-mouse --title "VolumeControl" --buttons-style text --icon /usr/share/mini-icons/audio-volume-high.png \
--ok-label Set --cancel-label Advanced --rangebox "Master Volume" 9 30 0 100 $VOLUME`
if [ $? -eq 1 ];then
rxvt +sb -geometry 90x20 -e alsamixer
else
amixer set Master $VOLUME"%"
fi
aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au &

instead of amixer etc... maybe use grep and sed on the file directly

p.s. uploaded a new version that will play a list of files

goingnuts

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:26    Post subject:  

For simple mixer found aumix and compiled without almost everything (./configure --without-ncurses --without-sysmouse --without-gtk --without-gtk1 -disable-nls). 11K stripped only using libc.

For GUI - xmixer might be used - 47K using shared libs...
xmixer2.2.tar.gz
Description  xmixer2.2
gz

Download 
Filename  xmixer2.2.tar.gz 
Filesize  20.16 KB 
Downloaded  352 Time(s) 
aumix-2.9.1-i486.pet
Description  aumix-2.9.1-i486 CLI-audio-mixer
pet

Download 
Filename  aumix-2.9.1-i486.pet 
Filesize  10.01 KB 
Downloaded  339 Time(s) 
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2010, 08:52    Post subject: pmconky  

pmconky (Poor-Mans conky): The "quest" to reduce size and increase/maintain functionality continues. Smile
Conky was introduced in pUPnGO to replace xload (have you seen its list of deps?), blinky and freememaplet. conky uses libs already needed for other applications in pUPnGO but take up huge 200K - and only delivers info that various shell scripts can give as well. So I found a replacement: root-tail - 14K! Writes content of text files to desktop...Reduce ISO size by 84 K.
So attached script to mimic the content conky delivers and root-tail. Will not work out of the box if ROX is in control of the desktop (kill ROX-Filer before use). The script is a draft - might even calculate wrong - modify for your own needs.
pmconky.tar.gz
Description  pmconky draft script + root-tail
gz

Download 
Filename  pmconky.tar.gz 
Filesize  7.02 KB 
Downloaded  379 Time(s) 
pmconky.png
 Description   pmconcy running in pUPnGO...
 Filesize   63.64 KB
 Viewed   1415 Time(s)

pmconky.png

technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2010, 10:57    Post subject:  

I had looked into the same things regarding ncurses etc... was thinking that gtk1 would take roughly the same space as those and then use Xdialog. (You can make some nice wizards with it... even a text editor, calendar, file browser, tail-boxes, color selector...)
these addons would then be possible:
ROX-Filer(amigo patched)
dillo-0.8.6
seamonkey-gtk1
xmms
mplayer-gtk1
aumix-2.90... but your Xmixer does look a bit nicer
gPS (view and kill running processes)
gFtp (ftp client)
minimum profit (highlighting text editor)
mtpaint-gtk1
blinky-tray
... and many more

goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2010, 12:20    Post subject:  

technosaurus: I know you are right about using gtk1 and all it opens for...

But I still think that reducing size first is more important...pUPnGO is now below 8Mb ISO - and have full driver set for qemu. There is web-browser, sound and mixer, image-viewer, grub-hd-install, wizards and text-editor. Without drivers he is close to 6MB and still running GUI...
Read this the other day - far above my level but still indicates that major reduction is possible. I can hunt smaller apps. that do the same or build in different ways - but I think the major step could be in the coding...
jwm is 130K - and think of all the different things it can do! The xmixer is 47K and just have to adjust some volume - there must be a difference in level of smart coding...
Consider this hexdump application 202 B Exclamation from the site linked above. Thats small!
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2010, 19:37    Post subject:  

There is asmutils and embutils that can replace some busybox functions, and some of the unneeded stuff removed from the .config and maybe shift the absolute necessary kernel modules to the init and lzma it instead of gzip.
goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep 2010, 12:21    Post subject:  

technosaurus: Trying to follow your guidelines:
First test using lzma went ok: Reduced initrd from 1928K to 1686K (approx. 12%). So kernel from P412 works as well with lzma. ISO now 7630K
First test with asmutils did not go well: Could not compile all utils. Haven't been able to mount the a-linux.img floppy disk to look if the utils could be copied from there.
embutils compile ok but haven't tested yet...
Will also try to make a BB for initrd including only what is needed.
Thought that the absolute necessary kernel modules already was in initrd?
Thank you for all you suggestions!
Page 10 of 59 [878 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: