Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rjbrewer

#461 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:915resolution only affects Xvesa. Xorg doesn't use it at all.
????

In order to use Xorg in Fluppy or Luci on my Inspiron-intel855gm graphics; I must use i915.modeset=1 fix.

Is this not a 915 resolution problem?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

pemasu

#462 Post by pemasu »

Is here question of this patch ? Looks like it affects only certain intel GM
graphics.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 799#223799
For Intel graphics devices which need a vbios hack to enable their true resolutions, here is the "915resolution" utility.
Puppy 4.1 alphas already have this utility modified to support the Intel 945GM chipset in the Acer Aspire One, but this version has been patched further to support the G33 (GMA3100) Intel chipset, device id 29c0:8086.

UPDATE Sep 25 2008: G33 support now includes device id 29b0:8086.
UPDATE Oct 13 2008: support added for GM965, device id 2a00:8086.
UPDATE Dec 11 2009: ArchLinux patches added by Barry, then modified by me to support GM45 (GMA 4500MHD) device id 2a40:8086.
UPDATE May 31 2010: support added for GMA3150 (N10 Pineview) device id a010:8086.
UPDATE August 28 2010: support added for GMA X3100, device ID's 8086:2a01 and 8086:2a02. I have identified these two devices in the source code as part of the "GM965" chipset family.

jemimah

#463 Post by jemimah »

rjbrewer wrote:
jemimah wrote:915resolution only affects Xvesa. Xorg doesn't use it at all.
????

In order to use Xorg in Fluppy or Luci on my Inspiron-intel855gm graphics; I must use i915.modeset=1 fix.

Is this not a 915 resolution problem?
No actually.
All the 915resolution binary does is modify what resolutions the BIOS advertises. Only Xvesa cares about the BIOS. Xorg is more sophisticated.

i915.modeset is an adjustment for the kernel - so Xorg doesn't have to figure out how to set the resolution itself.

pemasu

#464 Post by pemasu »

Does kernel level modesetting work in Puppies ?
Attachments
modesetting.png
(15.32 KiB) Downloaded 1637 times

alec78

Failure to set up Huawei E169G in Luci-222

#465 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Sad to report that I failed to get online with luci-222/Samsung X05 and Huawei E169G USB 3G modem.
I fired up the X05 from a dongle with luci-222 on. Hit the Connect icon on the desktop and then went through the usual routine of erasing the on board dial-up modem and then probing for the ttyUSB0 modem, only now I am getting no modem detected.
I shut down then re-booted with the E169G already inserted but no joy.
I am posting this from my old Dell Latitude LS and lupu-510.
I have either done something quite silly, or this is a big step backwards for me.
Setting up the E169G has been getting easier and easier with each evolution of Puppy, until it was a matter of just a few clicks and filling in a few boxers, thanks in the main to the great work done by rerwin.
I'll probably do a new pfix=ram install tomorrow and try again.
Cheers

01micko

Re: Failure to set up Huawei E169G in Luci-222

#466 Post by 01micko »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,
Sad to report that I failed to get online with luci-222/Samsung X05 and Huawei E169G USB 3G modem.
I fired up the X05 from a dongle with luci-222 on. Hit the Connect icon on the desktop and then went through the usual routine of erasing the on board dial-up modem and then probing for the ttyUSB0 modem, only now I am getting no modem detected.
I shut down then re-booted with the E169G already inserted but no joy.
I am posting this from my old Dell Latitude LS and lupu-510.
I have either done something quite silly, or this is a big step backwards for me.
Setting up the E169G has been getting easier and easier with each evolution of Puppy, until it was a matter of just a few clicks and filling in a few boxers, thanks in the main to the great work done by rerwin.
I'll probably do a new pfix=ram install tomorrow and try again.
Cheers
alec78

You want some good news? I have the same modem :wink: . I also have access to another 3G modem to test. I will get on to this later today.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

technosaurus is at it again :-)

#467 Post by scsijon »

from barrys blog and maybe we should consider it for 511 especially with the 0%cpu load

regards
scsijon

-----------------------------------
Posted on 1 Sep 2010, 24:58 by technosaurus
minimp3 30kb static
I came across a very tiny mp3 player a while back and compiled it against puppy's gnu libc and libm but recently I wanted to see if I could remove even those dependencies and ended up compiling it against static dietlibc. It is only 30kb and runs in less than 500kb of RAM with 0% CPU load on my 1.6Ghz laptop. If you have ever wanted to integrate sound into the startup or just have always reliable and minimal mp3 capability, this is it.

I have posted the sources and binaries in this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59417
----------------------------------

Karl Godt

#468 Post by Karl Godt »

luci-222 works best with my modem now , too

no plugin/plugout anymore.

the linenumbers of pupdial are the same as 218+219 , 220 is different.

218 and 219 weren`t so easy if IRCorrectly

perhaps it`s pppd or wvdial becomming better

rjbrewer

#469 Post by rjbrewer »

Couldn't get a wireless connection to last more than 1/2 hour until
I installed Pwireless2.

Not the Pwireless2 in the ppm (which I couldn't get to connect), but
the Pwireless2 from Jemimahs thread (which connected immediately).

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#470 Post by playdayz »

Not the Pwireless2 in the ppm (which I couldn't get to connect), but
the Pwireless2 from Jemimahs thread (which connected immediately).
I will look into changing.

Oh, something was wrong. One was 44k and the other was 254k (the one in jemimah's thread--which is now the one in the puppy-lucid repo of PPM). Thanks.

playdayz

#471 Post by playdayz »

alec78, what is the last lupu or luci that worked, if any? Thanks.

bigpup

#472 Post by bigpup »

Barry is doing some bug killing to some of the base programs in Puppy. They are posted in his blog. Not sure if you have seen them. Some look like they could be dealing with Intel video problems.

pemasu

#473 Post by pemasu »

Sorry about hijacking thread in my experiment. Pulseaudio and stream2ip and Apple Airport Express. Getting good in making work. I can install packages, compile pygtk, import needed python modules and install the rest of music apps in 1½ hour. Nearer in making howto use Apple Airport Express for streaming music wirelessly to stereos in Lucid Puppy. Of course AEX also prints wirelessly.

This is about testing music apps. Pupradio - mplayer - streaming netradio does not work. Music pauses all the time. Aqualung for playing CD works fine. Installed Tunapie2 from ubuntu repo - shoutcast stream - music app agualung - streams to AEX fine and plays fine. Tunapie2 seems to be fine streaming app. It has icecast or shoutcast checking boxes.

And then, installing alsa-player and alsa-player-common breaks pulseaudio. Uninstalling and it works again.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Tazoc´s streamtuner2 sfs which should work in Lucid Puppy breaks python. When installed with jrb sfs linker, python libs forwards to streamtuner2 installation location and python does not work. When uninstalled python is missing, I had to install python2.6 again to get it work. Grave caution when using that mix ! I think I dont try it when installed traditionally at all. Working python is main thing. Sfs linker mechanism maybe main reason to above behaviour though.

Stream2ip developer mailed that he would like to see his app working 100% in Puppy. There is gtk warnings and app does not change info about finding device and does not minimize itself when connected. I mailed him link of Lucid 5.1 download page :)

01micko

#474 Post by 01micko »

From the other thread :wink:
01micko wrote:Hi everybody

Xfce4

The package: http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/x ... -Lucid.pet 5MB.

Petspecs: xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid|xfce4|4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid||BuildingBlock|14824K||xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid.pet||xfce4 desktop environment|ubuntu|lucid|5|

Checksum: 5b6a125cfa9d5f95c16d5b7771814291 xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid.pet

It should work fine with any Luci-Lupu and Dpup, tho I have only tested on Luci. I just tested in 5.1 too, all ok.

It is labelled as 'beta' for good reason. That's what it is, but in saying that the actual window manager seems very stable. I have tested on 3 boxes, my main athlon X2, an older P4 and an old P3 coppermine and it runs well on all.

Issues
  • While I did my best to get mimetypes working, my ambitions sometimes exceed my capabilities. That's why we call this 'open source'. If anyone can fix mimetypes, go for it. However, rox mimetypes still are working ;)

I also did my best with menu icons, with a reasonable result. I am using mostly gray's work here but there is alot of *.desktop files, I was extremely careful not to break anything with Jwm/Icewm.

Xfce has a 'tips' gui on startup. I broke it somehow. I disabled it by renaming the exec in /usr/bin.. not the best way, but I was getting a bit sick and tired. Need help. (You'll see the remamed exec ;) )

I left 'hidden files' as default in Thunar, easy fixed, better not to show for new users

Pwidgets won't work with it.. it did in an earlier luci, now it doesn't. Haven't time to fix. However it does work in 5.1, more on this issue later with a patch.

GTK theme... I have an inbuilt 'WM-Switcher' that will switch between Jwm, Icewm and Xfce4. It works reasonably well, but upon instalation of the pet the GTK theme is instantly changed. In the pinstall.sh there is a splash warning the user of this, and urging to fix it, maybe should have a dummy theme in the pinstall. I have discussed this with Barry and in the wm-switcher I perform the gtk theme switch befere X dies.. see /usr/sbin/wmswitcher.

Also, it is required to first start Xfce4 with a full dropout to prompt and 'xwin startxfce4'.. somehow it won't work the gui way on first run.. no big deal IMO. Also mentioned in the pinstall.sh splash. Seems those splashes don't show up if you install from PPM, or that could be me.

You may not get a background on first start, restart of X should fix it, or else choose a background with the xfce tool.

Features
  • Compositing works great, even without glx/mesa/xorg_high, I tried with the stock 'nv' driver, albeit on my fast box.

It's kind of like a mini KDE. Those used to KDE who have never tried it will be fairly comfortable.

I have discarded the native Xfce 'logout' exec in favour of a simple gtkdialog script. It seems X needs to be killed before any logout type operation can be performed in Puppy, so I did that. See /usr/bin/xf-shutdown. I don't see how those hal scripts could ever work in Puppy!

Browser-default (lupu specific) is updated to filter out some 'exo' stuff, see /usr/sbin/browser-default.

I didn't have to tinker with any critical system files. That was a relief! Yay!

The default panel basically mimics the jwm/ice/puppy panel in any puppy .. down to the tray icons, which are the default.. retrovol is still a pain with that '-bg' option! Working on that.

On every restart of X the backgrounds in /usr/share/backgrounds are symlinked back to the xfce backdrop directory. Does no harm, error sent to /dev/null (if any).

Screenies

Image Pretty boring.. just like KDE in that regard :roll:

Image All the tray icons work as expected. (Note: you won't get that 'cog' icon, that's one I setup for myself :wink: )

Image Integrated Rox launch icon, purists will certainly miss Rox ;)

Image What's not to like? :D
(sorry for BIG screeny, but some things get lost in the translation ;))

Recommendations
  • Absolutely.. Wbar! Sorry CatDude, I haven't integrated your latest fix, that makes it a good package.. on to it.. ;), there will be an updated wbar package soon.
Special thanks to gray and dejan555, also thanks must go to BarryK, for listening to me about an improved /usr/sbin/delayedrun script. Also tasmod, Eyesonly, CatDude, playdayz, jim1911, James C, chrismt for testing and feedback.

Enjoy!

Cheers

01micko

(you all know me as Mick anyway! :lol:)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Beta Testing and Development

#475 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="01micko"]From the other thread :wink: [quote="01micko"]Hi everybody

Xfce4
/quote]

It's working good in luci 222, I haven't broken it yet anyhow :)

Karl Godt

#476 Post by Karl Godt »

Ayttm : First time I used it ++ it`s funny :) -- lacks some plugins like Actions and Invite
pupRadio : ++ streaming good on 1.050 Mhz -- difficult to adjust ; I`m missing `streamtuner` a little -- saying needs xmms -- coulndn`t find xmms on 4.3 until now
booted also lupu-501 and luci-219 : luci-222 is best !

alec78

Failure to set up Huawei E169G in Luci-222 UPDATE

#477 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
First to playdayz, lupu-510.

Now the update. Did a fresh install, but with the E169G inserted from the start, I don't usually do that, result no different modem not found
Opened a terminal and ran wvdial /etc/wvdialconfig, output in brief was
"port scan
ttyUSB0<Info> No such device or address."

I then ran /usr/sbin/usb-modeswitch and got
"Error: Could not find file /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup".

I then looked in /var/log/messages the last line said
"syslog.err root: usb_modeswitch: tcl shell not found, install tcl packages."

BarryK posted today in his blog that he has updated the dial-up and 3G packages in woof, and posted a link to a new thread being run by rerwin on 3g modems for 4.3+ versions of Puppy. rerwin is again doing a lot of work updating and re-updating his .pets. So it may be a woof issue.
Cheers

Stripe

#478 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

511 downloaded and installed (clean full and frugal) from a usb image, looking good so far

Stripe

James C

#479 Post by James C »

Snuck a release in on me....... :lol:

Downloading now........ :)

James C

#480 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.1.1 rc on the old test box...............everything fine so far. More testing later.