Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

Toy4

modem touch up

#41 Post by Toy4 »

Didn't look like that found a device when it did the diagfile, but pupdial window is still open and modem is working fine.
I am attaching that file now. later, Off to work, thought i'd get you this before I left. Saw you on late last night then you left and when I came on to check this morning there was a PM waiting.
Asus EeePc 900A w/Puppeee1.0 with 3G modem (Sierra 598U)
AMD Duron 797Mhz w/Puppy4.31 & Puppy2.14& Puppy4.20
Dell Dimension 2350 w/Quirky1.20Retro & Lucid Puppy5.10& Wolfe020

rerwin

#42 Post by rerwin »

This package improves modem detection and the support of alternative devices. If your wireless modem uses a device number other than ttyUSB0, you can try other ttyUSB devices by clicking on the ttyUSB1 (or 2 or 3, etc.) button to test that name. (It is only one button, but its name changes as you test the various names.) If successful, that device will become "selected", otherwise the selected device will be unchanged.

This also works with ttyACM and ttyHS devices. In addition, pupdial is shrunken a little to better fit small screens. The connect button changes are from jemimah.

UPDATE: Re-uploaded the package (after download number 7) with a rearranged pupdial selection/probe window to fit the most-used control buttons into a 480-pixel-tall display (after jemimah pointed out the problem to me). It has no functional changes.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fix_pack_delta-7.2_to_7.4.pet
Improvements to pupdial and its friends for modem detection and control of alternative ttyUSB devices.
(17.27 KiB) Downloaded 1418 times

rerwin

Upgrades consolidated!

#43 Post by rerwin »

The above three pup_event and modem "delta" packages are now merged into the consolidated packages at the beginning of this thread. I have removed the "BETA" designation, as I have received no recent problem reports requiring fixes.

However, I am grateful to Toy4 for his assistance in testing my changes, as part of troubleshooting his installation of puppeee 1.0. Although he was eventually successful, our process involved verifying my changes and now gives me the confidence to publish what I hope is the final product, with respect to its functionality and "look and feel". Ongoing maintenance will be necessary to keep up with the usb_modeswitch utility as it evolves.

As a follow-on, I plan to post a "service pack 4.3.1.1" that includes these upgrades as well as some of the fixes posted in the 4.3.1 Bugs thread. That is intended for users starting out with 4.3.1, to make some improvements so they do not run into the same old problems that have long been solved (informally) . That will be in a new thread.

I hope that anyone still having difficulty with their modem will post here with the details, so I can assist.
Richard

Fabio T

Difficult in detecting HSDPA modem

#44 Post by Fabio T »

I have got a new brand Sony Vaio VGN-TT46XG with Sony EveryWair interface, that is in reality an OPTION Globetrotter module (it seems a GTM382W) vendor=0x0af0 product=0x7601.
With Puppy 4.3.1., specially with Quirky 1.20 retro (kernel 2.6.30.5) , modem is correctly responding and connecting, with advanced kerneks modem is invisible to Puppy (and not works).
In the other hand, same advanced kernel (2.6.33) can see an OPTION Globetrotter vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6901 on an ASUS notebook....
Any ideas?
Perhaps the upgrades posted in this thread can help, or need to wait a further kernel upgrade?
Thanks.

gortonc

Success!

#45 Post by gortonc »

Richard,

Thanks so much for all the time you have devoted to this project. I have been thrilled with the performance of 5.1003 on my Compaq Presario V2000 with one minor annoyance. My Huawi usb 3g modem would only work after a minimum of 2, and sometimes 4 attempts at probing and or erasing modules. After adding the 4 new pets it connects flawlessly the first try. Congratulations, and thanks again ':D'

Chris

Toy4

Failed to get online

#46 Post by Toy4 »

Hey, new failure to document. I was at my bank and tried to get online to access a website and it wouldn't work. OK, I am not sure what actually happened at that point. This modem never does tell you (in pupdial) that it is actually working so you have to guess it is and try it. OK, well I tried and it was working very well since that last issue. So, I don't know if it couldn't find a tower to connect to or if I tried too early before it was connected or what. When I tried it again in an area I know that I have success it told me that the daemon died (again). I booted up into my test system and mounted that save=file and went into etc/ppp/peers and removed those two files and rebooted and I am on without incident. I just checked the peers file and those 2 files are n there again so I have to assume they are OK in there and maybe they are removed on shutdown. It doesn't seem to connect when they are there. Like I mentioned before, I know how to clear the problem up I just don't understand what triggered it and what the story is with those two files and why they seem to cause it to not connect. I have attached the diag file.
Asus EeePc 900A w/Puppeee1.0 with 3G modem (Sierra 598U)
AMD Duron 797Mhz w/Puppy4.31 & Puppy2.14& Puppy4.20
Dell Dimension 2350 w/Quirky1.20Retro & Lucid Puppy5.10& Wolfe020

rerwin

Modem Fix Pack 8 Available

#47 Post by rerwin »

Modem users,
I have uploaded a "cleaned up" version of the modem and modprobe improvement packages to the first page of this thread. If you have been keeping up with these updates for the puppy 4.3+ series, you can install the attached "7.2_to_8" package instead of the "6_to_8" package posted there. Be sure to also install the pup_event_backend_modprobe fix 5.5 package, preferably first.

If you use "6_to_8" on a newly installed frugal puppy that does not yet have a pupsave file, please wait until a reboot before installing it. This is necessary because the /var/local pieces do not get saved if a pupsave is not being used.

Some details of the internal changes: I have replaced some of my "improvised" logic with more "mainstream" coding.

1. I utilize the /etc/modprobe.d directory for any changes to the modprobe.conf file (for modems and sound cards). I have eliminated the /etc/modprobe_includes directory and have changed blacklist processing to include any blacklists in /etc/modprobe.d. This should facilitate changeover from the modprobe.conf file to moving its contents to modprobe.d files (although I did not actually do that).

2. I simplified maintenance of usb_modeswitch support by replacing the /etc/usb_modeswitch.d directory with a tarball of its contents. The tarball's name includes its version as the date of its release (-yyyymmdd). If multiple such files are present, the one with the latest date is used.

3. In response to a report by smokey01 that his wireless modem did not work in the latest fluppy, I noted that the modem was already switched to modem mode, so no modeswitching was done. With the earlier fluppy, the modem had to be switched, and then it worked. His case involves the "vodaphone workaround" for modems not recognized automatically. The script for that, pmodprobeoption, seemed to do the right things but the modem still was not "detected" appropriately. I have reviewed that script and have revised it to handle a flood of invocations that were not being serialized to prevent interference. Smokey01, please try this both with and without the modem having been switched.

4. As provided in the latest version of woof, I have added collection of traffic statistics similar to those for the "sns" networking connections. I expect someone else to add the values to the appropriate reporting scripts/programs.

5. In response to a continuing issue with Agere 8086:1040 PCI modems, I reviewed the "agrsm" driver package and made some changes. This modem is not "seen" by the linux driver, so requires that the drive be force-loaded. That revealed a bug with such a situation, as well as a missing part of agrsm support. Now, only "agrmodem" need be added to the list of modules to load at bootup (specified with the BootManager), since agrserial is an undeclared dependency that is now handled internally. This fix should also benefit any Agere modem that uses the "agrsm" driver -- without needing to force its loading (other than the 8086:1040).

UPDATE 9/23/2010: Re-uploaded package with patch to wireless modem detection, after download number 6.

UPDATE 10/3/2010: Re-uploaded package after download number 20, with verified corrections to wireless modem detection, incorporated from "patch-2" (so no need to install that patch).
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 03 Oct 2010, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Hello Richard

I am having fatal issues with your latest packages with my hardware.

I have the Huawei e169 that is now approaching 2 years old trying on my X2 AMD dual core, 2GB RAM, nvidia chipset on motherboard. The issues are with Quirky-1.30 (Barry's latest) and lupu-511 and the latest dev branch of that luma-002, but the latter 2 don't include your latest packages so the packages are installed manually.

What happens is that the mode switching seems to occur just fine, though I have to load 'option' manually in lupu and luma, which is a system problem and beyond the help you provide here, so that's not the issue. I then probe the modem and it shows up as ttyUSB0, fine, then I try to connect with my usual settings and it initialises, and at the APN string it errors with 'bad init string'. Ok, so I tried changing the string manually same thing.

Now, if I try to test the modem by clicking on the 'ttyUSB0' button I get a complete system freeze, same behaviour in all three OS> qrky, lupu, luma. This is reproducable 100% of the time. It's possible that it's HW related at my end because this system is only a couple of months old and I have never used the modem with it.. the last time I used the modem was 3 months ago in lupu-500and Puppeee (by jemimah) on my eee 701SD and it worked fine OOTB.

If you want me to attach logs I can do so, but it might be a kernel issue, not sure.

I'll do some testing of the modem to make sure it still works, it is surely possible that it has failed.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Hello Richard..

I tested on another machine running widows xp and the modem worked, but, I got 'sim not inserted' error. This is probably because of corrosion ( I live on the coast in a warm moist climate) so I pulled the sim and cleaned it, booted to lupu-510 (which resides on this machine) and I was online in a matter of seconds.

That explains the 'bad init string' error. I'll test further on my main machine to see if I can reproduce the crash.

Perhaps when the sim card is not inserted you could append a line to the output that says, "check sim card insertion" or something to idiot proof the prog for dummies like me!

Cheers!

EDIT:
Results
luma-002 Opened pupdial on main machine, settings were already in place from previous experiments, clicked connect, online in 2 seconds, your packages uninstalled

qrky-130 Worse, now crashing as soon as I open pupdial

lupu-511 Not connecting, can still reproduce crash, your packages installed. NOTE: seem to experiencing network issues, this happens often, could be why it's not connecting, more on that one, and a log later.

rerwin

#50 Post by rerwin »

I am back, now, after a mini vacation away from computers. In response to Barry's report of an issue with his APN, I have discovered a recent bug in pupdial that skips processing of both the APN and PIN. I think I have that corrected in the attached patch package.

Anyone getting the "no carrier" problem might try this, in case the APN setting is the cause.

UPDATE 9/30/2010: Added patch-2 to fix the problematic modem detection for ttyUSB modems. Someone please try this and send me a pmodemdiag file, so I can verify the fix works. I cannot test with a real ttyUSB device, but have with a device that uses ttyACM. The logic is similar. You should see fewer alternatives, since only likely prospects are found, usually only one.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fix_pack_8-patch-2.pet
pupdial APN/PIN fix plus correction of modem detection accuracy
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
modem_fix_pack_8-patch-1.pet
pupdial APN/PIN fix
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 854 times

mcewanw

PCMCIA hardware dialup modem not working under Lucid 5.1.1

#51 Post by mcewanw »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread since my problem relates to an old PCMCIA hardware (non-windows) analog dialup modem and not any kind of wireless modem.

I wonder if anyone could help me? I've been running various versions of Puppy Linux from and including Puppy 2.17 up to Puppy 4.3.1 on my old Dell CPx laptop using an old hardware pcmcia 56K dialup analog modem successfully.

The modem is a PCMCIA 3Com Megahertz internal modem with Model number 3CXM756 (though its just a standard analog hardware analog modem as far as I use it, its full description is: "56K Global GSM & Cellular Modem PC Card").

In practice, for the many years I've been using it, it has always been detected, without problem, using PupDial -> Probe at /dev/ttyS1. But unfortunately, when I run Puppy Lucid 5.1.1, the modem isn't being found at any IO port all. Being a simple hardware modem I think it should work without problem, but for some reason /dev/ttyS1 is simply not being found at boot time under Lucid 5.1.1. So I'm stuck using Puppy Linux 4.3.1 or Puppy 2.17 instead (on the exact same laptop). I've run pmodemdiag, both under the successful case of Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and the unsuccessful Puppy Lucid 5.1.1 and the main result of concern seems to be as follows:

The modem dialup connection works fine when using Puppy Linux 4.3.1. Probing in PupDial and Running pmodemdiag in that OS produces at line 346 a "messages" log file as below, which shows the modem being detected correctly at /dev/ttyS1:

"messages" line 346: Oct 6 13:25:28 (none) user.info kernel: 1.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

"messages" line 354: Oct 6 13:27:02 (none) daemon.notice pppd[6224]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1

When running Puppy Lucid 5.1.1 instead however, but on the same old Dell CPx laptop, PupDial fails to find any modem. Manually pressing the "Choose" button in PupDial, and then pressing "Probe" button (or ttyS1 button) fails to find anything at /dev/ttyS1 when running Lucid 5.1.1. Running pmodemdiag with this OS and examing the resulting "messages" log file, I find in fact that /dev/ttyS1 is simply not detected. That seems to be the root of the problem, but why, I wonder isn't /dev/ttyS1 found?

Hoping that someone may be able to point me to the problem solution, I have attached the pmodemdiag.tgz files for both the modem working under Puppy 4.3.1 case and for the modem not working in the Puppy Lucid 5.1.1 case. I'd be very grateful, therefore, if someone could look at these and let me know if they can see why the modem isn't being detected at /dev/ttyS1 or anywhere else when using Puppy Lucid 5.1.1 (but /dev/ttyS1 detected fine in the earlier Puppy 4.3.1 and in Puppy 2.17). Note that I've been successfully using this old PCMCIA hardware modem for years with many other Puppy Linux varieties from at least Puppy 2.17 up to and including Puppy 4.3.1

Puppy Lucid 5.1.1 otherwise works fine in this old 500MHz machine, but I only have that dialup connection so I simply can't use it, alas, without this (my only) modem being detected.
github mcewanw

peebee

Is it a pcmcia problem?

#52 Post by peebee »

Hi mcewanw

Have you checked if it is a pcmcia problem?

Have a look at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 392#446392

Cheers
Peter

muggins

#53 Post by muggins »

rerwin

Extension of Agere HDA & PCI modem support

#54 Post by rerwin »

Agere HDA and PCI modem users,
Attached are a modem fix pack patch (-3) and 3 agrsm drivers for use with the puppy 4.3.1 kernel 2.6.30.5. These packages require the installation of the pup_event_backend_modprobe...5.6 package, available at this direct link (in first message of this thread): http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=32795

The patch determines which variant driver is required and sets it as the active agrsm/agrmodem/agrserial driver. In addition to the "11c11040" variant used in woof and its products, the new drivers support PCI modems with IDs 11c1:048c & 048f and 11c1:0620 & 0630. If you have one of these modems, the initial boot-up with the patch (and appropriate module package) installed will entail a delay in the start of the Connect Wizard (while it waits for a 'depmod' to complete).

My hope is that Barry will take the additional variants into the source repository and include them in kernels containing modem drivers.

As I do not have a modem to test with, I hope some users will try this out and report results here. Thank you for any feedback on this.

UPDATE 10/7/2010: Re-uploaded the 3 agrsm packages, to include a "depmod" to regenerate the module dependency listing to include the new modules.

UPDATE 10/9/2010: Re-uploaded the modem_fix_pack_8-patch-3.pet package after download number 8, to improve the script that determines the variant to use. If you download it, please also re-download and install the pup_event_backend_modprobe...5.6 package mentioned above. It has also been updated for the new patch-3. The new capability is to deal with missing variants by not loading any of the remaining variants (because the wrong one would not work, anyway).

UPDATE 10/15/2010: Re-uploaded all of the packages. Now they should all work reliably. Note, however, that:
- They require the use of depmod_FULL and that the packages DO NOT run that upon installation.
- The modem fix pack 8 patch 4 should be installed before any of the agrsm packages.
- At least the agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225-k2.6.30.5 package should be installed, because it is the default (most likely needed) variant and is needed for the selection method to work.
- The agrsm048pci-2.1.60_20100108-k2.6.30.5 package appears to be the same as the original puppy version, so may not be necessary to be installed.
- After all the packages are installed, then run depmod-FULL from a console.
- To be sure the new code takes effect, run pupdial and CHOOSE > ERASE, even if no modem is already detected.

I am posting a special version of the patch in the wary09 thread, so use that with wary, instead of patch-4 here.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 18 Oct 2010, 19:46, edited 6 times in total.

mcewanw

Re: Is it a pcmcia problem?

#55 Post by mcewanw »

peebee wrote:Hi mcewanw

Have you checked if it is a pcmcia problem?

Have a look at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 392#446392

Cheers
Peter
Thanks, Peter, that did the trick (using pcmcia-socket-startup from Ubuntu pcmcia utils). I imagine a lot of older machines aren't detecting their pcmcia cards in the default Puppy Lucid 5.1.1. The pcmcia utils package is tiny so hopefully the developers will consider providing it by default with the standard distribution in future releases. Anyway, I am happy. Thanks again. And thanks also to you muggins for the pcmcia-related info/links you provided.
github mcewanw

01micko

#56 Post by 01micko »

mcewanw

I will suggest to playdayz (lucid coordinator) to add pcmcia-utils to the 'news' page available from quickpet.

Cheers

peebee

Re: Extension of Agere HDA & PCI modem support

#57 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Agere HDA and PCI modem users,
As I do not have a modem to test with, I hope some users will try this out and report results here. Thank you for any feedback on this.
Richard
Hi Richard

I have downloaded 3 pets and will apply them to pup431 and let you know the outcome for 11c10040 on my HP550 laptop with HDA modem.

Should they also work with the 2.6.30 variant of wary070 using the same kernel????

Thanks
Peter

peebee

Test report

#58 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard - here is my test report

I started up Puppy4.3.1 with a pristine pupsave file.

I loaded pets in this order (not sure if this was correct as I'm getting very confused by all of the versions and patches and deltas...sorry):
pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.6.pet
modem_fix_pack_7.5
7.5 to 8 delta
modem_fix_pack_8-patch-3.pet
agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225-k2.6.30.5.pet

I rebooted and am sorry to say that no modem was detected - I also noticed that there were duplicate entries for both agrmodem and agrserial in the modules list.

So I started again with a pristine pupsave but this time I explicitly deleted the versions of agrmodem and agrserial that came with 4.3.1 in the "extras" folder - then I just loaded the
agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225-k2.6.30.5.pet
then I ran depmod-FULL manually
then I added modules (this time there was only 1 version) agrmodem & agrserial
rebooted
and this time I had a working /dev/ttyAGS3 - yippee

If you need me to send any diagnostics to hlep you track down why your fixes/patches/deltas are not seeing and configuring the modules automatically then I stand by ready to send.

Cheers
Peter

peebee

wary07 k2.6.30.5 report

#59 Post by peebee »

Tried to use agrmodem on wary070 k2.6.30.5 and got:

Oct 8 13:52:08 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: disagrees about version of symbol snd_hda_codec_read
Oct 8 13:52:08 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_read
Oct 8 13:52:08 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: disagrees about version of symbol snd_hda_codec_write
Oct 8 13:52:08 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_write

on modprobe - so didn't load

rerwin

#60 Post by rerwin »

Peter (peebee),
Thanks for trying the new packages.

However, you missed a critical package and could simplify some of the others. Here is what you need when starting with an original version of 4.3.1:
- pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.6.pet
- modem_fix_pack_to_431-6.pet
- modem_fix_pack_delta-6_to_8.pet
- modem_fix_pack_8-patch-3.pet
- agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225-k2.6.30.5.pet

Be sure that modem_fix_pack_delta-6_to_8.pet is a very recent download copy, as it now includes the "patch-2". Or install "patch-2"

Your sequence points out to me, something I omitted: the agrsm dotpets should include a "depmod" after installing, to update the modules.dep file. Here is what happened: the patch moved the existing (old) version of the modules into the directory for the new 11c11040 modules and then updated modules.dep. Then you replaced the old modules with the new ones in the agrsm package, but did not update modules.dep. So, once you have installed the above packages, run depmod from a console. That should take care of those "agrmodem warnings". (I will update the agrsm packages to add the depmod, although that will slow them down.)

Regarding your mention of duplicate entries in the "modules list", which I assume is the modules.dep dependency list. That is now to be expected, due to the way I implemented support of all the variants. The first entries for each module are the ones that get loaded. That pair of entries will duplicate one of the subsequent sets. The first set is affected by an internal link that selects the variant (the only one, in your case).

One hour later: The agrsm packages are updated with the depmod command.
Tried to use agrmodem on wary070 k2.6.30.5
I tried that last night and it seemed to be OK. Since Wary 070 already has the correct AGRSM package, I hope you did not install the one I made for 4.3.1, even though it is the same kernel. I think Barry has rebuilt kernel 2.6.30.5 with changed configuration parameters. So, use the Wary version. When I tested, I installed only:
- pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.6.pet
- modem_fix_pack_delta-7.5_to_8-woof.pet
- modem_fix_pack_8-patch-3.pet

Thanks, again.
Richard