Installing Flash 9

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dbd400@gmail.com

Installing Flash 9

#1 Post by dbd400@gmail.com »

I am new to puppy, but not new to Linux, nor to Unix before it. I am trying to get Flash version 9 to run on puppy. An internet search yielded a comment by someone who indicated that very many such efforts were useless, but that using flash9 with puppy 4.x.x worked and was stable. He generously supplied a link to the flash as a .pup package; in full, 'flash9-064-STABLE-pup'. I am aware that .pup packages are obsolete, but unless there exists another recourse, I am stuck with this. Flash10 is not supported on the tiny machine in question, and a version of the end application was created to run under flash 9. Your site gave no information, though I am unaware of the scope of search -- I searched in unsorted and Advanced Topics.

The primary task is to install flash9. Puppy told me that in order to do this, I need to install a .pet package called dotpuphandler.

I found a dotpuphandler-0.0.4.pet.gz. After gunzip it expanded it and removed the gz, but the built-in selectable 'dotpuphandler' in the list is -0.0.4-2 It always ends with 'package not found'. Then I tried renaming the package with the -2 in the name, and as a separate try, renaming to tar.gz. perhaps there is a way to alter the names requested in the list presented by 'install', or to add other names. Perhaps I need further info on how to work with the PETget package manager.

A further complication is that there is no internet available under puppy because, while under Windows the machine easily accesses the internet, under puppy, it runs into the problems surrounding Realtek pci Ethernet controller 8111/8168B which are copiously documented here and elsewhere. The short answer for this is that it seems to have loaded the driver for 8169 and this is a known problem. So internet access has been done the long way round; time consuming but just barely possible.

Any and all help is gratefully appreciated, or any other way to get flash9 running.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

The .pet.gz extension is actually incorrect - it's caused by a browser adding the .gz to the end of the filename when it downloads, for whatever reason. (A .pet is actually gzipped, so the browser is looking at the file's contents and deciding it helpfully needs to add .gz to the end, even though it shouldn't be doing that.)
Remove the ".gz" from the filename (so that it's simply 'filename.pet'.) The .pet file should then install correctly.

However, there have been .pets created for Flash 9 and Flash 10. Rather than use the forum's search engine, you might try a general forum search using this search. You might need to be running at least Puppy 4.2 or 4.3 for the .pets, though.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

dbd400@gmail.com

Installing Flash 9

#3 Post by dbd400@gmail.com »

Thank you. This is Solved, and Flash 9 is working on the desktop.