Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
edoc

#261 Post by edoc »

Arghh!

Well, guess I will have to do the same for now.

Are you aware of anyone chasing this bug?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pleriche

Re: Cmake problems

#262 Post by pleriche »

pleriche wrote:I'm trying to compile a program that uses cmake. Having installed 5.1 with the 5.1 devx, cmake gives an error Could not find CMAKE_ROOT. I tried installing the latest cmake, which then ran without error, but compile then gave an even more cryptic error Unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_sections'. Looks like cmake is not the only thing that needs updating, but I can't see what.
I pointed PPM to the Ubuntu Lucid repository and installed the latest cmake and cmake-data. Cmake now works and I can compile and run my program. Looks like the cmake on the devx 5.1 needs updating.

Regards - Philip

pemasu

#263 Post by pemasu »

PDF printing. Epdfview does not print ok, only blank page.
Jrb`s sfs linker and jrb`s adobe acrobat reader 8.0 sfs prints ok and is associatible to thunderbird.

From luci repo foxit reader didnt associate ok to my /mnt/home/thunderbird finnish version. It didnt open pdf at all. It opens and prints pdf if I save it first but that is too complicated for normal use with thunderbird.

edoc

#264 Post by edoc »

CUPS 1.3.11 works fine for printing PDF in WARY 060.

Why would PDF printing have been broken when they moved to a newer version?

Are they not testing CUPS properly prior to releases?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

rcrsn51

#265 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:Are they not testing CUPS properly prior to releases?
As usual, this is not a CUPS problem - it's related to fonts.

If I create a PDF document using Lupu's own fonts, load it into epdfviewer and print it, it works fine.

If I load an external PDF document, it won't print. In the example I tried, the CUPS log showed an error message about invalid font - Helvetica. I think that the message is coming from Ghostscript. Lupu does not appear to have a Helvetica font anywhere.

The same document does print in Quirky, so it must be handling the missing font differently.

[Edit] I wonder if this is because Lupu's Ghostscript was compiled against a collection of fonts that does not match what Lupu actually contains.

pemasu

#266 Post by pemasu »

I concur about PDF printing. Adding more fonts corrected the epdfview printing. I leased some fonts from windows and that was it.

This package helps if you think it is not too big, about 3 Mb and uncompressed almost 6 Mb.

http://thelinuxbox.org/downloads/fonts/ ... nts.tar.gz

Installation folder location: /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 24 Aug 2010, 20:40, edited 7 times in total.

Jades

#267 Post by Jades »

I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.1 on two machines - the main family PC 'Merlin' which is a Pentium D 3.4GHz with 2GB RAM and Radeon X1650 Pro graphics and on my retro-gaming machine 'Zhaan' which has an AMD K6-2 500 CPU and has just been upgraded to 512MB of RAM.

Puppy works very nicely on Merlin, although I have found that it doesn't seem to remember the settings for the wireless network setup (Netgear WN111v2) between boots. I have to go into the wizard, reload the profile and then set up the StaticIP config again (although it does remember the DNS settings).

I can't really comment on Puppy's performance on Zhaan at the moment as that machine has an up-time measured in minutes due to a hardware fault. I suspect that the PSU is faulty and hopefully when the replacement arrives in the next day or two it'll fix it and I'll be able to comment further.

I'll upload HardInfo reports for both machines to my site when I get time (and in the case of Zhaan when it'll stay running long enough to generate one).

Regarding problems with NetSurf, I strongly suspect that the cause is that it doesn't currently have JavaScript support so anything that requires it won't actually work - this is probably the reason why the drop-down menus in CUPS don't do anything.

See http://www.netsurf-browser.org/document ... JavaScript for the NetSurf team's reasoning why JavaScript isn't supported yet.

HTH.

rcrsn51

#268 Post by rcrsn51 »

pemasu wrote:I concur about PDF printing. Adding more fonts corrected the epdfview printing. I leased some fonts from windows and that was it.
I couldn't get this to work for me. Do you have a sample PDF document I could try?

[Edit] As a test, I installed the Ghostscript PET from the Quirky repo and CUPS 1.3.11. Now I can print an assortment of PDFs correctly. Read here.

kevin bowers

#269 Post by kevin bowers »

Jades,

I had similar problems with network parameters not being remembered at reboot on two of the three machines I've installed Luci 51 on. Installing and running Pwireless2 fixed both. Thanks go to jemimah!

BTW, right on the intro page it tells you to install a full-featured browser. Netsurf just isn't enough for the big jobs.

8-bit

#270 Post by 8-bit »

I seem to have a problem and I do NOT think it has to do with a failing hard drive.
I have Lucid Puppy 5.1 installed frugally on a 40 gig partition that was formatted to ext2.
When I boot it from the grub menu, a e2fsck is done on that partition and also on the lupusave.2fs file.
This really slows down the boot process.
Also, if I boot from the same version using a CD with a pfix=ram option, set locale, time zone, and the do a e2fsck of that partition without the -y option, I am told the partition was not unmounted cleanly.
Then when I boot from the hard drive, to Lucid 5.1, no e2fsck is done.
But on a reboot, the check takes place again.
Each time I check the partition with a CD boot, it says it was not unmounted cleanly.
I do not have this problem with Lighthouse pup or Puppy 431 SCSI.

So what the heck is going on?
This is getting downright frustrating.

I should mention in this that if you have built Lupu 5.1 with a built in file system check, that I wonder if it is trying to check a Mounted Partition.
I say this because I boot using Easy BCD on a SATA drive and it looks for grub and menu.lst on a second drive PATA type with Puppy versions on a 40 gig ext2 partition.
Since the PC is accessing the grub boot menu from that partition is it mounted even before the startup fsck is run?

edoc

#271 Post by edoc »

I had a lot of problems with ext2 so I upgraded to ext3.

What does your GRUB menu.lst look like?

This is what I am using. My hope is that between ext3 and "pfix=fsck" the filesystem will retain its integrity.

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Puppy Linux LUCID-5.10_003 Frugal (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel (hd0,1)/lupu-510/vmlinuz pfix=fsck PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda2 psubdir=lupu-510 acpi=noirq nosmp vga=normal video=640x480
  initrd (hd0,1)/lupu-510/initrd.gz
  # Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

8-bit

#272 Post by 8-bit »

Ok, someone explain this to me.
When I boot from the grub menu and select Lupu 5.1, an ext2 file system check is done on both the partition containing grub, and my Puppy frugally installed lupusave file.
Then if I reboot and select Lighthouse Pup, no check is done.
But then if I immediately reboot to Lupu 5.1 no file system check is done.
But then if I reboot from Lupu5.1 back to Lupu 5.1 a flie system check is done.
So that is telling me that Lupu 5.1 is not cleanly unmounting the partition my Puppy frugal installs are on.

In other words, Lighthouse Pup is rebooting or shutting down cleanly.
Lupu 5.1 is not!

I am still open to suggestions as to a remedy.
And again, I have to ask if anyone else is seeing this type of behavior.

edoc

#273 Post by edoc »

X crashed a little earlier this evening, bringing me to the prompt.

My options were "xwin", "xorgwizard", "reboot", or "shutdown".

I tried xwin several times and wach time it tried for a while then back to the prompt - it seemed unable to find the file it needed.

I tried xorgwizard, same failure.

I was stuck with reboot.

I did have several Seamonkey windows open at the time, plus E-mail, plus OpenOffice -- but that is my usual operating condition -- this is the second time in a week that this has happened. I took the first case as an anomaly, now I am wondering ...

Note: The environmental conditions are unchanged; hardware, ambient temp and humidity, etc.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

ragaman

#274 Post by ragaman »

LUPU was one of the best pups released in terms of ease in use. However, everything went downhill once I installed the NVIDIA driver (173 for FX5500 Video Card). The screen flickered, window decoration became red and I lost the taskbar. No option for refresh rate was available in the screen resolution changer utility.

Using VESA, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver then restarted. The desktop remained unchanged (flickering, window decoration red, no taskbar). Somehow, I couldn't roll back to the desktop I had before the NVIDIA driver was installed.

Solution was simple: Wipe the drive clean and install TEENpup.

8-bit

#275 Post by 8-bit »

I have had that same thing happen before to me as to X crashing.
I reinstalled the video driver for my video card in order to recover.
But that is not something one should have to do.

I know, that thanks to Patriot, we now seem to have a clean shutdown on our pupsave files.
But I wonder if that same shutdown script is handling the unmounting of the partition that puppy is installed to as to making sure that one is clean.

In my case, I boot to an Easy BCD boot menu on my PATA drive. I then select Puppy on it which then boots grub on a PATA (ide) secondary drive.
It is booting grub from an ext2 partition on the second drive.
Then the grub menu comes up and I select the flavor of Puppy I want to boot at that time.
I should mention that I do NOT have "pfix=fsck" on the kernel line of any of the Puppy versions in menu.lst.
I currently am booting back and forth between the hard drive installs and CD to check the ext2 partition.
I have never had any errors on the check other than one that said, and I quote, "file system not cleanly unmounted, check forced".
Then the e2fsck is done and no other errors are found.
I am to the point of trying out a mix with renaming the Lucid 5.1 initrd.gz and copying the one from lighthouse into the Lucid 5.1 directory and seeing if that makes a difference.
I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK!!!
But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.

rcrsn51

#276 Post by rcrsn51 »

But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.
Are you assuming that this behaviour happens for everyone?

8-bit

#277 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51,
Short and sweet, no.
I am not ruling out my hardware setup as to the problem.
I am just trying to figure out why Lighthouse Pup and Puppy 431 SCSI as well as Puppy 431 and Puppy 421 do not exibit this behavior.
Also, since grub is located on the partition that gets checkedduring startup and drivers are loaded to access the drives, and a search is done for the puppy files on said partition, I assume that partition is mounted at that point.
So why is an e2fsck being done on it during startup of Lupu 5.1?
I thought there were warnings of doing a file system check on a mounted partition?

If I have offended anyone with my comments on this, I am sorry.
I just am trying to figure this out is all.

mavrothal

Re: Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch

#278 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
simes wrote: Thanks for the reply 01micko. I do have an oldish Athlon processor but it ran Chrome OK on Puppy 5.0.1. Has something changed in 5.1 which means older processors no longer run Chrome? (And if so, is the issue really with Chrome? :D )
Yes, chrome was version 5 in Puppy 5, it is now version 6 in 5.1. You could get the old 5 version from ibiblio and try it, no guarantees and it is not officially supported. If it fails, do some googling around or dependency checking. I will ask playdayz to make a prominent note about the P2/old Athlon issue with the newer chrome versions.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

Cheers
Hi,
The issue does not relate to the official 5.1 but to Chromium 5.0.342 pet but I couldn't find that thread. :oops:

On XOpup that runs nicely lupu510 (Good job guys :D ) Chromium 6 fails with "illegal instruction" but Chromium 5 works OK. However, there is no menu entry nor presence in browser selection panel. Any idea?

(PS: Moderator pls move it to the appropriate thread if known)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pupluser

#279 Post by pupluser »

hi when i toggle fullscreen no matter if its a movie thats on the hd using gnome mplayer or a web page my puppy exit`s xserver or xwin what ever its called and goes to the command line

it does not occur when i play some games or watch fullscreen in youtube or open boxsee that go automaticly to fill screen

please help

thanks

rcrsn51

#280 Post by rcrsn51 »

8-bit wrote:I just am trying to figure this out is all.
I have an ext3 partition with several Puppies, including Lupu, and I have never seen Lupu trigger a filesystem check.

I just set up a test ext2 partition with Lupu and it worked fine there.

It's a mystery why only Lupu is doing this for you. My only thought is that its kernel version is seeing something wrong with the partition that the other Puppies do not.

Do you have another machine on which you could install Lupu - just to confirm that the problem is not being caused by Lupu per se?