Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#2001 Post by Stripe »

I would be happy to test anything, just my technical knowledge may limit what I would be able to do.
Hope that helps
Stripe

edoc

#2002 Post by edoc »

I am seeing the Wifi and sound problems, intermittent and severe, on one laptop but not the other.

Both have Lucid 5.1 with the 002 update.

Very odd.

It could be a local hardware cause but that seems less likely with several others seeing the same "bug".

Do you need details about the hardware on the naughty puppy laptop? :roll:
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

dancingdog777

think of tips that would help newbies

#2003 Post by dancingdog777 »

One question which bothers many Linux users is why does Puppy boot into root rather than a user account (ie guest)?

Minnesota

Puppy testing

#2004 Post by Minnesota »

playdayz:

Personal testing:
Been in this business a long time so I like to see how the aesthetics and ease of use of the desktop and menu items first. Well second as I read the forum daily.

I have quite a few machines so I am able to test on new and old hardware. Also have multiple printers attached to the various computers, so printing is important. I usually test on the standard printer. I test both Abiword and Gumeric., I will test the movie offering as well. Which will tell me if sound is working as I often do not have speakers turned on.

Developer testing:

I am not yet confident with code even though I have programmed many languages in the past. However as Puppy progresses.. ease of use is becoming more and more important. If you want to know if a Newbe can use the system. Ask your spouse or a child to sit down and navigate the system. Much of Linux and Puppy is still cryptic. To a developer or user for many years ROX means something, Gnumeric means something.... Gwine means something. Thank your for relabeling the icons on the desktop to more generic terms. The average user will use only a limited number of programs. Unless they have a special need. Keep thinking of the user Please.

There are two things programmer do not want to do... not sure which comes first... but they are documentation and testing. Both are important. Personally after programming many big systems... I am convinced a well designed and well written screen is self documenting. So that leaves testing!

To say again, asks developers to test on NON computer experts... it will go a long way to make their software operate more clearly.

As long as I am making comments... I taught Visual Basic for many years... and used to dive some the students batty.. why... I demanded they error check for what can go wrong-the obvious and what CAN’T go wrong - the one in a million shot... well... no programmer wants to be woken up at 2:00 AM to fix his software. How to avoid this.. do not rely on the system to give you error messages.... test in your program for every conceivable possibility to insure the data the program is working with is correct. It is much better to find the errors as the operator is in front of the screen on the keyboard; than to find errors later and allows the system to give cryptic messages. Example if you are entering a name filed Insure the user is not entering numeric data, insure the field is of the correct length.... If capitals are not allowed, insure they can not be entered.

I believe Barry and others have sets of sound files to test with and a set of video files as well. These should be in a universal data area so all developers can use them for testing. Possibly the same with stock word processing documents and spread sheets so there are no surprises. Certainly everyone does not have the same hardware, but a test box can be set up to connect and insure all of the flavors of wireless work. Same for LAN, most all computers today have a lan… it is easy to insure connection. It is today probably the most important program for many people. Speaking of that… congratulation on attempting to automatically set up the LAN or Wireless.. I have expressed dismay for some time that if you were giving a copy of Puppy and told to play.. you have no idea you need to make a connection before you attempt to use a browser. Sorry but it not obvious to a new user, who is used to sitting down at a computer and using it.

Wish list:
Please take a long look at the various programs and screens where you need to click on a filed to start entering data. Please look at the programs – gui where there are so many items on the screen that you have no idea where to start. And in some cases the data flow is bottom to top. In some programs clicking on a item does nothing, you must click the button. Very confusing.
In short, you can not solve all the problems in one attempt, but keep at it.. PUPPY is evolving and getting better and better. Thank you for compiling a list of test procedures, it will insure each new flavor of Puppy will be bench tested well before it hits the public.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

playdayz

#2005 Post by playdayz »

Minnesota, specifics please. You won't hurt our feelings ;-)

Minnesota

OK, will take a day

#2006 Post by Minnesota »

OK.. will take a day.. evening here, and dinner time.

:).

playdayz

#2007 Post by playdayz »

Please Test this. pupluser found that the font set for lupu-510 did not do Hebrew and Arabic when the font set for lupu-501 did.

Please test this set and see if you notice any untoward side effects. Thanks.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Fonts-lupu510.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Aug 2010, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: Puppy testing

#2008 Post by James C »

As long as we get rid of the bugs.................... :lol:

Seriously, as long as most of the focus is on squishing bugs and fixing usability issues Lucid Puppy should continue to improve.

Stripe

#2009 Post by Stripe »

Hey Playdayz

RE: Fonts-lupu510.pet
Just tried your posted link on 3 different browsers for the above pet,and none can access it

Yet the rest of my internet is working OK

Cheers
Stripe

James C

#2010 Post by James C »

Same here......looks like an extra "e" has crept into the address.....diddey instead of diddy. :)

EDIT:

Yep, took out the "e" and it works.Try this.......

playdayz

#2011 Post by playdayz »

James C wrote:Same here......looks like an extra "e" has crept into the address.....diddey instead of diddy. :)

EDIT:

Yep, took out the "e" and it works.Try this.......

Yes, James C fixed it. The one and only time I didn't double-check ;-)

Thanks.

kevin bowers

Testing procedures

#2012 Post by kevin bowers »

Playdayz,

I am what Minnesota called a "non-computer expert", so by his definition I'm a testing expert. Or maybe I took that one a bit too far? Anyway here's my take on the subject.

I place bugs into two classes, major and minor. Any one major bug is a showstopper; it takes an accumulation of minor ones for me to abandon a distro. I can run tests for all possible major bugs in a matter of a few hours, and usually do. Minor bugs may not become apparent until I've used the distro regularly for a month or so. If I haven't found it in a month of regular use it doesn't qualify as a bug for me.

Major bugs are readily apparent. Kernel panic on first boot is the worst I can think of; that happened to me recently, I'm afraid Jemimah's Puppeee is not compatible with my new Toshiba netbook even though it has a Celeron. Luci 509 runs it very well. Video problems come next, there has to be a video driver that gets the resolution right in both x and y directions, with no anomalies, and is stable. The Xorg-high drivers had stability problems on the new Toshiba but the default drivers work fine (Intel). Sound has to work and still be working on reboot (everything has to work on reboot, no reconfiguring on each boot). Network interfaces! Wired ethernet cards seem to almost always work right but wi-fi has been a nightmare in Linux. Part of this of course is that most chip manufacturers don't publish Linux drivers, and the state of the art is changing at an unbelieveable pace, so it's hard to keep up with it. But I'm not going to tear apart a good machine to replace the wi-fi card because one distro won't work with it. On the new Toshiba I wound up using NDIS wrapper with the Windows XP drivers.

Minor bugs are just that, and every OS has them. Have you been following the problems with Open Office crashing while starting a slideshow? (It looks like 01Micko is right, the problem is with JWM.) Someone else noticed this before I did; this is why we need lots of testers. This is what I would call a minor bug. I have another: when the netbook had 5.0.9 and the desktop had 4.3.1, CUPS in the netbook immediately found the Deskjet 895c connected to the desktop. After I upgraded the desktop to 5.1 (actually a clean install, not an upgrade) the netbook can't see the printer anymore. Yes, I suppose I could simply hook the printer directly to it... but it sure was nice... Again, a minor bug.

So far I've seen no majors and only a few minors in Luci, and some of the minors have already been ironed out. At the risk of alliteration: Far out!

Keep up the good work, and as always, thanks!

playdayz

#2013 Post by playdayz »

Open Office crashing while starting a slideshow? (It looks like 01Micko is right, the problem is with JWM.)
Things like that are one reason we have two window managers. What would be nice is a version of Open Office that is tested and configured for Lucid Puppy--soon I hope. And since Open Office will have to be an sfs rather than a pet, we will need an easy one-click process for installing sfs's.......
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Aug 2010, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#2014 Post by playdayz »

All of our users are international users of one kind or another, and we expect them to be well-served and pleased with Lucid Puppy 5.1 which is the most language aware Puppy ever. It is a very easy thing to change one's Language and Locale and just as easy to change one's keyboard layout--using tried and tested Puppy code. Further, many of the main programs, the word processor, the media player, the text editor, the spreadsheet, Quickpet, and several of the browsers are language aware by default. 01micko spent numerous hours organizing and implementing the internationalization of Quickpet--and it is beautiful and great fun to use.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Aug 2010, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.

omskates

#2015 Post by omskates »

Stripe wrote:Thanks Playdayz

Will give that a go when I return to my main machine (the one with the sound issues)

At the moment I am running 510 on a 800mhz 256mb sd ram box with a 1024mb swap partition (May be too large but have plenty of room as just put a 500gb hard drive in) nvidia geforce fx 5200 card. (works perfectly on suggested quickpet driver, thanks again 01micko)

Anybody have any tips on browsers etc when using such a box?

Cheers
Stripe
Stripe R U running Full or frugal on that machine?

playdayz

#2016 Post by playdayz »

Today is the 5th day for Puppy at #2 on the Distrowatch 7 day ranking. This is also due to Puppeee which was released a couple of days before Lucid Puppy 5.1. The Puppy total has increased from about 1250 to the current 1571 over the 5 days and should increase for at least 2 more days.

jemimah

#2017 Post by jemimah »

kevin bowers wrote:I'm afraid Jemimah's Puppeee is not compatible with my new Toshiba netbook even though it has a Celeron.
You need to use Fluppy for non-Eee netbooks - the software is the same, but the kernel is more inclusive. Fluppy004 should be posted in a few hours.
playdayz wrote:Today is the 5th day for Puppy at #2 on the Distrowatch 7 day ranking. This is also due to Puppeee which was released a couple of days before Lucid Puppy 5.1. The Puppy total has increased from about 1250 to the current 1571 over the 5 days and should increase for at least 2 more days.
Yeah I saw that - very cool! Also the Lubuntu guys saw it on Distrowatch and are now lusting after my custom LxLauncher. ;)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2018 Post by Lobster »

As Larry says the best internationalization and testing ever has occurred with Lucid 5.1 We even have Hebrew and Arabic fonts - wow, must be a lesson in there somewhere . . .

Severe Bug Warning ahead
- may corrupt your save files
So do try this at home - we are penguins
:roll:

. . . meanwhile I have been downloading and running gridwars2 (in the software games section) It is not compiled for Puppy Lucid but seems to work.

Seems . . .

It would crash the computer to the level of a total black screen and lock the computer up not allowing any software reboots.

Now it has corrupted further (I am assuming it is this program - could be the new beta 4 of Firefox but had no problems with that)

Look at the enclosed image - all those save.sfs are getting a kernel panic, including the latest save file which is almost pristine apart from Gridwars2 and Firefox 4 beta

I have never come across such severe incompatibility

Puppy Bugs
Bigger, better - Banished!
Attachments
panic.JPG
(44.83 KiB) Downloaded 1244 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

thefixer

x1200 GPU

#2019 Post by thefixer »

sorry, GPU drive is fail. First boot, desktop loads, but everything is a VERY dark grey, black and whitish, no colors, just a dark dark grey that is hard to see anything, sticking with 4.3.1.

Integrated ATI inegrated GPU x1200 on an Intel socket 775 motherboard.

omskates

#2020 Post by omskates »

playdayz wrote:Today is the 5th day for Puppy at #2 on the Distrowatch 7 day ranking. This is also due to Puppeee which was released a couple of days before Lucid Puppy 5.1. The Puppy total has increased from about 1250 to the current 1571 over the 5 days and should increase for at least 2 more days.
That's so cool!! And congrats to jemimah :D