Lupu-5.10: NetSurf Won't Render My Modem's Webpage

Using applications, configuring, problems
LikePuppy

#1 Post by LikePuppy »

Installed Lucid Puppy 5.10 to USB flashdrive, booted.

Used NetSurf to access my DSL modem's control webpage but, although it loaded part of it (I could view the source), it wouldn't fully load the page so I couldn't go online.

Installed PuppyBrowser 0.5 but it wouldn't run at all when I clicked on it, so I installed libgee-....pet. No help.

Uninstalled PuppyBrowser and libgee, but the PuppyBrowser entry remains in the menu.

Any ideas?

Next, I will try to download a 5.1-compatible .pet of chromium

Patriot

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Netsurf doesn't have javascript support. Get one with javascript ... Seamonkey, Firefox, or something ...

Rgds

LikePuppy

#3 Post by LikePuppy »

Thanks for the reply. I installed Lupu-5.1 updates 1 and 2, then Chromium-6 but, like my earlier experience with PuppyBrowser, it wouldn't start when I clicked on it. Didn't show up on the list of running processes, either.

Curiously, NetSurf takes about 30 seconds to start. In Lupu-5.01 apps flash onto the screen almost instantaneously.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Curiously, NetSurf takes about 30 seconds to start.
Something is wrong. I suspect you have already been meddling with your router settings?
What else could cause this?
If you during the initial boot up type in "puppy pfix=ram" (no speech marks)
you will be booting with a pristine Puppy

Netsurf should load fast.
Is your USB keydrive drive old? They don't last forever.

Something is probably wrong in configuration or hardware.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I used SeaMonkey to configure my Dlink wireless Router now for the firt time today. Bought it yesterday. No problems so try SM or FF no reason they would not work.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

LikePuppy

#6 Post by LikePuppy »

Lobster wrote:
Curiously, NetSurf takes about 30 seconds to start.
Something is wrong. I suspect you have already been meddling with your router settings?
What else could cause this?
If you during the initial boot up type in "puppy pfix=ram" (no speech marks)
you will be booting with a pristine Puppy

Netsurf should load fast.
Is your USB keydrive drive old? They don't last forever.

Something is probably wrong in configuration or hardware.
----

I turned off my DSL modem and tried to boot puppy with "puppy pfix=ram" but the system hung at "Setting up the layered file system" and never booted up. Since that attempt, I've never again been able to boot from a USB drive. My old computer is fussy with USB so I had to use the PloP boot manager, which no longer works. I give up on booting from USB drives.

Worse development: I tried to re-master lupu 5.0.1 onto a DVD-R but must have done something wrong. Instead of booting into puppy,it gave the error message: "lupu-501.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console". I had no idea what to do from the console but later verified that, indeed, lup-501.sfs was not written to the DVD-R by the re-mastering app.

When I re-mastered, I selected "yes" to the question about a "z...??.sfs driver" [should have written that down...]. Could that have prevented the lupu-501.sfs from being written?