Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#61 Post by Geoffrey »

Found the problem, it's in /usr/share/applications/FireFox web browser.
it reads

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FireFox web browser
Icon=/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png
Comment=FireFox web browser
Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=FireFox web browser
MimeType=text/html;

remove the "$@" from Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
then it works as it should.

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

Here is the Minty theme if anyone wants it:
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Final polish

#63 Post by Henry »

My main and only computer, reformed on QNop 1.2 is finished and in heavy use. I'm very pleased with it. VirtualBox is good. Quite zippy with 480Mb memory assigned.

But some of the icons in the lower panel could be improved -

No problem with the normal "launcher" ones. I'm referring to the special "built-in" ones like clipman, screenshooter, trashcan, and in particular the tiny retrovol icon.

EDIT: I looked at the retrovol speaker, and it's relatively easy to change.

Code: Select all

/usr/share/retrovol/images/
has .png files for high, medium, low, and muted. Simply copy over these whatever images you prefer - color coded, empty/full, same, etc. A decent set is already to be found in

/usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/status/
but is overcomplicated. I like one based on kmix, an upward facing speaker about 36x36.

The Xfce icons can be changed too, e.g. for the clipboard overwrite

/usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/actions/gtk-paste.png
See the new speaker icon at:
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Max Headroom

G'day Gray or Any 1 eLse Able 2 Help, Please!

#64 Post by Max Headroom »

8) I've installed Grays NVidia Driver Package NVIDIA-256.35-k2.6.33.2-q1 Appropriate 4 Me Card & the New Ke*nel, libwnck-2.23.4-i686 ( eMerald Theme Manager ), & Compiz-0.8.4

They Show as installed in the PPM, But they All also have this same Missing Dependency "libgnomeprint xdelta3" According 2 Puppys' Dependency Checker?

This issue has Never Occurred B4, I've Searched the Forum & Googled the Web 4 answers, But in Vain!

How do I Fix this Please?

Ronny

Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M

#65 Post by Ronny »

Hi Guys,

I downloaded Quirky 1.2 which would really suit me well I think.
After searching for quite some time without finding anything, I would like to ask my question here:

I have a Dell D630 laptop with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics chip.
Is there an existing .pet that I can use or is there another way to install a driver for that model.
Thanks a lot

Ronny (fairly new to Linux)

Ronny

Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M

#66 Post by Ronny »

I "think" I found it!
On the Nvidia website I found a driver for the 135M called Nvidia 256.44.
And although on the website the 135M was not mentioned in their 256.35 driver specs I installed the NVIDIA-256.35-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet anyway and it seems to work.
So maybe this little explanation can help other Dell D630 owners.
I realy like Quirky NOP with Xfce.

Ronny

Max Headroom

G'day Gang, Please Help Again w/ the same Missing Dependency

#67 Post by Max Headroom »

I've got the qrky_devx_120.sfs Package & Run it w/ the BootManager configure bootup ( ReBooted ),

installed kNown MythTV Dependencies mysql-5.0.67-php-5.2.6-i686.pet, & qt4-4.3.2.pet then Run Puppys Dependency Checker & it Claims that Both MYSQL & QtLibs aRe Missing that libgnomeprint xdelta3 File!,

this Missing libgnomeprint xdelta3 Dependency is Driving Me Crazy!!!
Please Help!!! :?

Henry

VirtualBox 3.2.8 What about it ?

#68 Post by Henry »

For the past few days when I select VirtualBox I often get a popup with a URL inviting me to click and download the new version. I have avoided the temptation, presuming it would not be so simple, and probably not worth it anyway.

I'm fine with what I have, preferring to wait and see if gray comes up eventually with a new .pet. In any case, I would not want to jeopardise my precious vdi. Here is the change log from the website:

VirtualBox 3.2.8 (released 2010-08-06)

This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
VMM: properly terminate the VM with an error if the guest is trying to switch to the PAE mode but PAE is disabled in the VM settings
GUI: switch to native file dialogs (Windows hosts only; bug #5459)
GUI: don't use native file dialogs on KDE hosts (Linux hosts only; bug #6809)
3D support: fixed GL_EXT_texture_sRGB support
PXE: fixed ZENworks PXE boot regression
OVF: fixed slower export and larger images under certain circumstances (3.2.6 regression; bug #7073)
USB: properly signal an interrupt if the port suspend status changes
USB: respect the remote-only filter
USB: avoid VM hang when changing the configuration of certain devices (Windows hosts only)
USB: fix a crash with older Linux kernels and non-ASCII characters in device strings (Linux hosts only; bug #6983)
PageFusion: fixed conflict with the guest execution feature
PageFusion: fixed stability issues with a large number of VMs
PageFusion: fixed host crashes with guest SMP and Win64 guests
Memory ballooning: fixed problems restoring VMs with pre-allocation enabled
Bridged networking: fixed performance issue with GRO enabled on bridged device (bug #7059)
Hostonly networking: fixed performance issue (3.2.6 regression; bug #7081)
Hard disks: fix auto-reset of immutable disk at VM startup (bug #6832)
BusLogic: several fixes for Windows NT/2000 and SCO OpenServer guests
LsiLogic: fixed I/O errors under rare circumstances
Sharing disks: support for attaching one disk to several VMs without external tools and tricks (see here for a short explanation)
Shared folders: several fixes and performance enhancements for Solaris guests (bugs #4154 and #6512)
Solaris Installer: added support for remote installations
Guest Properties API: correctly support enumerating the properties of a running VM with an empty "patterns" field (bug #7171)
Guest properties: properly delete transient properties on shutdown
RDP video redirection performance improvements and stability fixes
Settings: silently fix host audio driver when reading machine XML settings files or OVF written by VirtualBox on a different host OS, for example convert DirectSound to PulseAudio (bug #7209)
Settings: properly store the NAT network setting in XML settings file version 1.10 and later (bug #6176)
VBoxManage: handle differencing images with parent UUID correctly in subcommand openmedium disk (bug #6751)
Web service: enabled HTTP keepalive for much better performance
Web service: added timestamps to logging output
Web service: treat 8-bit strings as UTF-8 not ASCII
X11 Additions: fix for Xorg 6.8 guests (e.g. RHEL4)

Max Headroom

Missing Dependency Update

#69 Post by Max Headroom »

Missing Dependency Update :oops: Turns Out I've just Found Out that I Actually had 2 Missing Dependencies, the 1st part I've Sucksessfully been able 2 Resolve via PPM,

But I'm Still Stuck w/ xdelta3 Missing Dependency, Even tho NOPQ has it Builtin, Wot's more I've also installed xdelta_gui.gz & Both of these appear in the Utility menu.

But when I Run the Puppy Dependency Checker on Me NVidia Driver Package, eMerald, Compiz, MYSQL, QtLibs & libgnomeprint Every time it says I'm Missing xdelta3.

Please Help!!!

Henry

Re: VirtualBox 3.2.8 What about it ?

#70 Post by Henry »

Henry wrote:For the past few days when I select VirtualBox I often get a popup with a URL inviting me to click and download the new version. I have avoided the temptation . . .
I noticed that the update pets fo VirtualBox 3.2.8 have quietly appeared in the Nop repository at http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/

And seem to work.

Thanks, gray!

Henry

BobbyDing

#71 Post by BobbyDing »

Hello All,
I hope I'm posting in the rite place (nuwb). I've been experimenting with some puppy's on an old IBM laptop (300mhz, 425mb ram, 20gb HD, 1024x768). So far, puppy501 and NOP r2 work fine, and I'm enjoying the experience of resurrecting this old machine.

Today I tried installing the Quirky's (120, 120 retro, and NOP 120), but all fail the Xorg setup. I can get a desktop by using xwin, but the picture is not so good. I thought this was strange, because during 501 and NOP r2 setups, I just selected 1024x768-16 from the Xorg test and it fired rite up. But with Quirky it drops me out the a # saying to try Xorgwizard again. Only after several failed attempts will xwin work.

I don't know if this info would help, but under puppy501, the hardinfo app tells me I have:

Neomagic Corp NM2160 (Magicgragh 12DXP)

Display=1024x768 pixels
Vendor=The X.org Foundation
Version=1.7.6

Under Quirky120 it says:

Display=1024x768 pixels
Vendor=The X.org Foundation
Version=1.7.1

Do you think the problem is a newer kernel> Or newer Xorg? Is it possible to downgrade these? Any suggestions? I really like the XFCE that Quirky uses?

Thanks!

Bobby

UPDATE: Found my problem. Have to add "acpi=force in order for the live CD to boot on the old thinkpad, but that causes the above issues. Once installed on the HD, I needed to add "acpi-off" to the HD boot line. Once I did the kernel picks up the video (and other hardware) just fine! Just thought I should add this info... Bobby
I

Henry

Problem with Virtualbox in Quirky Nop 1.2

#72 Post by Henry »

I've been using virtualbox with Win2000 in Nop 431r2 forever it seems with no problem. Then I went to Quirky Nop 1.2.

And after a great deal of flailing about, with help from gray and his new .pets, all was apparently well. (I've put the painful details out of my mind, which is easy when you're my age ;-)

Then I exported my virtual disk in the ovf format and imported it into the newer Virtualbox version provided for use in Quirky Nop. No problem at all until a week ago.

Then something happened - I don't know what - guessed that the virtual disk had got corrupted. When I tried to restore from my old backup it said sorry, it has to be in the ovf format (which I had lost).

I thought, OK, I'll just rebuild it from scratch, which I set out to do. But it didn't work for me. I get error messages that I hope will mean something to someone here - obviously, ideally gray. Here are the messages:

VERR_VM_DRIVER_LOAD_ERROR (rc=-1910)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
-------------------------------------------------------
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine vm-1
The virtual machine 'vm1' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.
-------------------------------------------------------
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {6d9212cb-a5c0-48b7-bbc1-3fa2ba2ee6d2}
------------------------------------------------------
Run in terminal:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module ...done.
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module ...failed!
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
#

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 302: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxdrv/build_in_tmp: No such file or directoryFailed to open a session for the virtual machine vm1.
-------------------------------------------------

Well, in any case, the situation is not dire. QNop by itself, as customized for my work, is wonderful and perfectly solid. Virtualization by nature is something of a kludge. It did seem the best solution and was great while it worked, but If I can't get it reliably sorted there are workarounds, however imperfect.

For now I'm running RootsMagic in wine with some usual wine limitations. No one has ever been able to run WordPerfect right in wine, so I'm making do with OpenOffice Write, which is good, and imports WordPerfect well, if you don't mind it stripping out all the graphics. But Abiword, it seems, is always too "quirky."

Henry

This may be a clue . . . EDITED

#73 Post by Henry »

On boot up, just before X, I see a fleeting message:

Warning: Deprecated config file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf,
All config files belong /etc/modprobe.d/

Based on this
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56436

I did this

mkdir /etc/modprobe.d 
mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d
No change to the VBox problem, but the boot message now says "Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf . . ."

I am expecting gray will resurface one of these days ;-)

Henry

Summary of VirtualBox problem in Quirky NOP 1.2 "SOLVED"

#74 Post by Henry »

EDIT: Solved in the sense that I have now abandoned VirtualBox, at least in this case. I'm a very persistent guy, but life is short. VirtualBox worked very well until this last quirk, but really, I had wanted to get away from windows, and Vbox is not exactly doing that! More significantly, I am dropping WordPerfect as well, which I have used for 25 years in my writing and publishing, including a substantial list of successful books. But even that feels good - time to move on. OpenOffice Writer is very good, although not my idea of an elegant, efficient program. Let's hope Oracle does well by it (&Vbox).

Thanks again to gray for the solid software through QNop 1.2. I hope he continues with that, as I do.
====================================.

Here is the relevant history:
Henry: "I downloaded the new VirtualBox .pets and installed them (in /opt/). . . .
But it doesn't start. . .

gray: "Henry,
. . . try the entering the depmod-FULL command in the terminal and then re-start the computer.
VB depends on SDL and OpenGL.
Have you installed an SDL pet from the quirky repo ?
For OpenGl you need either the mesa pet or if you have an NVIDIA card then my NVIDIA pet includes OpenGL.

Henry: "gray,
Yet another test; I ran with pfix=ram and made a new test save file with only
Code:
sdl-1.2.11
mesa-7.6-q1
virtualbox-3.2.6-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet
virtualbox_guest_additions-3.2.6-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet
installed in that order.
Rebooted and saved. depmod-FULL and rebooted.
VirtualBox menu did nothing notable.
VirtualBox in terminal gave this:
Code:
# VirtualBox
VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
I searched and finally found a libvga.1.4.3 folder containing libvga.so.1.4.3, which I renamed libvga.so.1 and copied into /usr/lib/.
I don't know if that's legal but finally the VirtualBox window opened!"

After that -
I exported my working virtual disk from the old vbox in Nop 431r2 and imported it into the new vbox in Quirky Nop 1.2. Worked perfectly until recently. I won't repeat the recent details from just above, but the current situation is apparently that I have a VBox in Quirky NOP 1.2 that would import a virtual disk m ovf format - if I had one, but will not let me create a new one. A "catch 22."

shako

lost x server on NOP quirky

#75 Post by shako »

Hi I've been using quirky Nop and it is one of the best puppies ever, I started messing around with CAD programs and got Qcad to work and I think a version of turbo cad under wine.I should have stopped there!!
yesterday tried to install gcad (I think) as a pet but after doing so lost the X , tried to sort it out using xorgwizard but with no luck it will not start x, my question is how do I remove this pet (from the command line) and hopefully the xserver will work again.
Puppy is wonderful thanks to all the contributors I have donated to Barry a few times in the years I have used it, but realise after reading the developer of Ubuntu studio pups comments that I hadn't been out there thanking the community, SO THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAVE MADE PUPPY SUCH A GREAT SYSTEM.
this is a double post as I inadvertantly put it as a new topic!
shako

cthisbear

#76 Post by cthisbear »

" I have donated to Barry a few times "

" hadn't been out there thanking the community "

shako: But your actions spoke louder than words.

""""""""""""""""""""

I hope that someone here can soon help you out.

Regards...........Chris.

Henry

OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs SOLVED in part

#77 Post by Henry »

OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs is fast, efficient, compact.

But how does one add/use an English spell checker, thesaurus, and the internet menu links?

I have begun using OpenOffice heavily and miss these things. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT SOLVED: I found I had to add the spellcheck extension, /en_US.oxt. This in turn allowed me to activate hunspell.

Thesaurus and menu internet links are less important, but suggestions would be welcome.
Last edited by Henry on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ronny

Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#78 Post by Ronny »

Hello,

I am having some problem adding a SFS file to my Quirky 1.2 NOP.
Her is what I have done:
I downloaded the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs file and put it in my /mnt/home folder.
The bootmanager does not seem to recognize the file. After I rename the file to "amarok.sfs" the bootloader does recognize the file and all seems OK.
After a restart of Puppy, I do find Amarok in the Multimedia-tab and after clicking on it I can see the Amarok splash screen for a moment but nothing else happens after that.
Am I missing something here or is the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs simply not usable with Quirky NOP?
Thanks for your kind reply.
Ronny

DaveS

Re: Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#79 Post by DaveS »

Ronny wrote:Hello,

I am having some problem adding a SFS file to my Quirky 1.2 NOP.
Her is what I have done:
I downloaded the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs file and put it in my /mnt/home folder.
The bootmanager does not seem to recognize the file. After I rename the file to "amarok.sfs" the bootloader does recognize the file and all seems OK.
After a restart of Puppy, I do find Amarok in the Multimedia-tab and after clicking on it I can see the Amarok splash screen for a moment but nothing else happens after that.
Am I missing something here or is the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs simply not usable with Quirky NOP?
Thanks for your kind reply.
Ronny
Probably not suitable. I think the Amarok you have there would have been compiled for Puppy 4.3*
Try starting it from a terminal, just open a terminal window and type amarok The output in the terminal window might tell you what is wrong.
Also check here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 963#444963

Also here http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LucidPuppyS ... comments=1
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Ronny

Re: Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#80 Post by Ronny »

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your reply.
I tried the amarok-1.4-lucid.sfs form one of the links you provided but still no luck.
I have a frugal install on an ext3 partition and after putting it in my home folder and adding it thru the bootmanager, Puppy does not start anymore.
I get the message ..... performing a switch root to the filesystem .... kernel panic - not synching : attempted to kill init....
Same thing when I try to add the file to Puppy on USB stick.

So still no luck, I will have to search the forums on Puppy again. A good reason perhaps to learn a bit more about Linux and Puppy!!!
If I find a solution, I will post it here.
I really want to ad a music player style amarok or rhythmbox to my Puppy.
Ronny