Puppy-Win32-Installer

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

#81 Post by steve_s »

Don't know why it wouldn't put the save file in the same folder, but I assure you it wasn't something I added to exe file...I agree with you that I hope it is the fault of the exe file and not something to do with Puppy, but I can't see how it is the exe file: basically all that file does is makea folder to put things into.

As far as making the swap file, I am sure it doesn't do that automatically...

noryb009

#82 Post by noryb009 »

Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?

steve_s

#83 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?
I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...

ICPUG

#84 Post by ICPUG »

Amen to what steve_s says.

I have been thinking of updating the Lin'N'Win pages for Puppy 5 for a while - but which Puppy 5??

Quirky's and Wary's are Barry's playthings/testbeds so these can vary from version to version very quickly.

Lupu 5.0.1 is the nearest stable Puppy 5 but it had some major problems with video drivers (shared with the Quirky's and Ubuntu and Knoppix ...) which the development of Lupu 5.1 solved. This latter is in beta and hopefully will be released soon and be stable for a while.

I have also become very impressed with Lighthouse Puppy which has been upgraded to 5.0.0C. This has become my fatter Puppy of choice (used to be Hacao). I might start catering for that at Lin'N'Win as well.

noryb009

#85 Post by noryb009 »

noryb009 wrote:
Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?
I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...
I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.

steve_s

#86 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:
noryb009 wrote:
I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.
Wow...good find...give it a run! :D

noryb009

#87 Post by noryb009 »

Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?

steve_s

#88 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?
Just did that manually. You can go to file settings and I also know you can right click it and look through the permissions...there is a box that you check or uncheck...I'll check it again but I'm not in Windows right now...

noryb009

#89 Post by noryb009 »

Never mind. I did it using attrib in the installer.

I think I have a working installer now, I will test it out...

Well, it said that windows was corrupt. Turns out I forgot about the grldr...

noryb009

#90 Post by noryb009 »

I got it working! I'll upload the installer maker package in a bit.

steve_s

#91 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:I got it working! I'll upload the installer maker package in a bit.
Hey, way to go! We await the results...

Oh, I'll change the initial post to reflect your upload...

noryb009

#92 Post by noryb009 »

I have tested it, and you might be able to do these instructions in wine, but they give different checksums.

Instructions (most of these can be done in puppy, and Geany even has syntax highlighting):
1) download the attachment
2) unzip it to C:\ (or "/root/.wine/c_drive" if your in puppy)
3) go into the folder it created
4) open up HOW TO MAKE AN INSTALLER.txt. It will tell you how to make an installer.

You will have to install NSIS to compile it: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download.
Last edited by noryb009 on Tue 19 Oct 2010, 23:00, edited 3 times in total.

steve_s

#93 Post by steve_s »

:shock: Oops...thought this was my thread...it's not.

Ok, I changed the initial post on my thread here to show your new development, norbyb009. Good job! 8)

noryb009

#94 Post by noryb009 »

Thanks!

ICPUG

#95 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks from me as well.

I have yet to investigate what you have done but if you have got it working it sounds very promising.

The problem with Vista/Windows 7 is that boot.ini does not exist and a whole new method of hooking into the Windows boot is required - (most people use EasyBCD for this). As I say I have not looked at your technique yet but I suspect some tweeks will be needed for the latest Windows.

noryb009

#96 Post by noryb009 »

As I say I have not looked at your technique yet but I suspect some tweeks will be needed for the latest Windows.
Yes, it will. Right now, I have it set as:
if grub.exe/grub exists, add that puppy version to the menu.lst, set timeout=10
if grub.exe/grub does not exist, install grub4dos, add to boot.ini, make menu.lst (timeout=0) with the puppy entry.

Would I have to change "does not exist" to:

install grub4dos, if(not vista/win7)add to boot.ini(else)BCDEdit.exe(end if) make menu.lst (timeout=0) with the puppy entry

Is that correct?

Do you have a vista/win7 system? I just want to ask a few questions.

ICPUG

#97 Post by ICPUG »

noryb009

Your logic is right even if it is not exactly functionally correct.

I see you are deviating from Lin'N'Win quite a bit - not sure if that is because of NSIS.

Lin'N'Win DOES NOT INSTALL grub4DOS! It uses the files from it but does not install it in case it messes the MBR/Windows boot process. I know some think I am too worried but better safe than sorry.

Consequently it uses grub.exe on Win 9x and grldr on WinXP. Right now EasyBCD for Linux dual boot on a Vista / 7 system uses a version of grldr as well.

I do have a Windows 7 system but it is sitting in a box while I get the courage (and a holiday from work) to set it up - it has been there a few months!

noryb009

#98 Post by noryb009 »

Thank you for pointing that out. I will have to change the installer process for 9x, I guess. (amazingly, I still have a windows 95 I can work on!)

Ya, it would of been better to phrase it as "unzipped grub4dos"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#99 Post by Lobster »

noryb009 does this once unzipped on a Windows system (don't have one so have to ask)
automatically install (by downloading)
Lucid 5.1

Then when you boot you can boot to Windows or Lucid?

Is that right? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noryb009

#100 Post by noryb009 »

Lobster wrote:noryb009 does this once unzipped on a Windows system (don't have one so have to ask)
automatically install (by downloading)
Lucid 5.1

Then when you boot you can boot to Windows or Lucid?

Is that right? :)
Not exactly... The file I uploaded is a creator for a windows installer to duel-boot.
Also, the files are in the installer, you don't have to download them.

If someone tells me where to upload it, and once I edit it for the windows 9x, vista and 7 boot loaders, then I can compile it and upload it.