Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lemmy999

#2501 Post by lemmy999 »

^ ^ ^
I tried pdev1=sda5 to no avail :( However I think I'm on the track of the problem. I noticed that I hadn't removed the sd card I'd used to install Puppeee so I took it out. The result was that I now get the message I was previously getting
eee-504.sfs not found.Dropping out of initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
It looks like the eeepc isn't using the frugal install at all! Or maybe its looking for the .sfs file, failing to find it and then using the one on the sd card.

I have checked the hashes for the 504.sfs files installed on sda5 and the sd card. They are identical.

jemimah

#2502 Post by jemimah »

Sandungas,

I guess it's not really surprising that ramboot needs psubdir explicitly specified.

There is a patch for loading SFS files from psubdir, but Puppeee doesn't have it yet.

The most painless way to make Ramboot and SFS files work, is to put all the files at the root.

The updating layered file system messages is probably because ramboot is not finding all your sfs files.

It is possible to hibernate to a usb card. But you probably don't want to run the OS with a swap space an slow usb disk because it will be bad for performance. So you'd want to unmount the hibernation partition after resuming.

jemimah

#2503 Post by jemimah »

lemmy999 wrote: It looks like the eeepc isn't using the frugal install at all! Or maybe its looking for the .sfs file, failing to find it and then using the one on the sd card.

I have checked the hashes for the 504.sfs files installed on sda5 and the sd card. They are identical.
You can tell by which drive is mounted as the system disk (the one with the red dot on it on the desktop).

Are you still booting with no arguments?
What filesystem is 504.sfs on?
Does it work if you don't put it in a sub directory?

sandungas

#2504 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:...I guess it's not really surprising that ramboot needs psubdir explicitly specified.
The most painless way to make Ramboot and SFS files work, is to put all the files at the root.
The updating layered file system messages is probably because ramboot is not finding all your sfs files.
This explains the problems i had (psubdir, sfs, and this message) probably all are caused by the same
jemimah wrote:There is a patch for loading SFS files from psubdir, but Puppeee doesn't have it yet.
I saw this conversation today, is an interesting addition to puppy, the folder tree in the device will be more organized, and this sfs can be loaded selectively for each pupplet
Btw... i was thinking to make 3 different savefiles (to store differents configs of the bootmanager with the different sfs that must be loaded in each)

i.e.
Puppeee designer ---> puppeee + gimp.sfs + blender.sfs + python.sfs (python is needed by blender)
Puppeee arcade ---> puppeee + puppyarcade8.sfs

This can be achieved by using different savefiles ? there is another easyer way to load different bootmanager configs?
jemimah wrote:It is possible to hibernate to a usb card. But you probably don't want to run the OS with a swap space an slow usb disk because it will be bad for performance. So you'd want to unmount the hibernation partition after resuming.
I thought on hibernation because this message
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 236#403225
The only part that i dont understand is how to edit the hibernate.sh file adding "swapon" & " swapoff"
Can you upload a hibernate.sh with this tweak ?

I supposed that this tweak enables the swap only for hibernation, but i prefer not to mess with scripts, because im not a coder

----OPS, EDITED, MY FAULT----

So i need hdparm to stop the HDD
And swapoff to deactivate the swap on SD
Swapon to enable the swap.... only for hibernation

Do you plan to add hdparm & hibernation to eee-control ?

Is not a petition :oops:

aarf

#2505 Post by aarf »

flwm: cosmetic not big issue.
at beginning no problem. now after a few improper shutdowns. nearly every restart will have desktop irregularities. black boxes around pwidgets Only one task bar showing either the top bar or the bottom bar very rarely both bars.

clicking /root/Startup/0wigets will remove the black boxes from pwidgets. (now desktop linked.)

/root/my-panel-applets/ROX-Menu is also now desktop linked for when the bottom bar doesn't make its appearance.

is there something i can click that will start the bottom or top task bars or can these irregularities be fixed simply by code manipulation?
Attachments
black.jpg
(27.24 KiB) Downloaded 1019 times

lemmy999

#2506 Post by lemmy999 »

@jemimah

From memory I'm pretty certain its booting from the sd card. I am still booting with no arguments. The current filesystem 504.sfs is mounted on a reiser.

I'll try moving everything to a different partition and lose the subdirectory later.

jemimah

#2507 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote: The only part that i dont understand is how to edit the hibernate.sh file adding "swapon" & " swapoff"
Can you upload a hibernate.sh with this tweak ?

I supposed that this tweak enables the swap only for hibernation, but i prefer not to mess with scripts, because im not a coder

----OPS, EDITED, MY FAULT----

So i need hdparm to stop the HDD
And swapoff to deactivate the swap on SD
Swapon to enable the swap.... only for hibernation

Do you plan to add hdparm & hibernation to eee-control ?

Is not a petition :oops:
To fix the hibernate script look for the line 'acpitool -S' and modify like so

Code: Select all

swapon /dev/sdb1
acpitool -S
swapoff /dev/sdb1
Change sdb1 to be the name of your swap device. The difficulty here, since you're using a removable drive is that this name may change from reboot to reboot.

I probably won't add hdparm to eee-control because you need to be rambooted for it to work. Hdparm also only works on spinning drives - you can't spin down an SSD. If you hdparm a drive that's in use it'll either not spin down at all or spin up and down over and over again depending on the delay you set. Spinning up and down is bad for the drive, so really only people who understand what they're doing should use hdparm.

jemimah

#2508 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:flwm: cosmetic not big issue.
at beginning no problem. now after a few improper shutdowns. nearly every restart will have desktop irregularities. black boxes around pwidgets Only one task bar showing either the top bar or the bottom bar very rarely both bars.

clicking /root/Startup/0wigets will remove the black boxes from pwidgets. (now desktop linked.)

/root/my-panel-applets/ROX-Menu is also now desktop linked for when the bottom bar doesn't make its appearance.

is there something i can click that will start the bottom or top task bars or can these irregularities be fixed simply by code manipulation?
I think this might be the result of filesystem corruption. Have you run an fsck on your save file?

jemimah

#2509 Post by jemimah »

lemmy999 wrote:@jemimah

From memory I'm pretty certain its booting from the sd card. I am still booting with no arguments. The current filesystem 504.sfs is mounted on a reiser.

I'll try moving everything to a different partition and lose the subdirectory later.
Ah, the puppeee kernel doesn't have boot time reiserfs support.

jemimah

#2510 Post by jemimah »

I've posted an updated firefox sfs and also the puppy arcade sfs.

jemimah

#2511 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote: Puppeee designer ---> puppeee + gimp.sfs + blender.sfs + python.sfs (python is needed by blender)
Puppeee arcade ---> puppeee + puppyarcade8.sfs

This can be achieved by using different savefiles ? there is another easyer way to load different bootmanager configs?
Maybe you should look into tcz linker. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47976

I haven't tested it, but it should allow you to load SFS files on the fly, as many as you want.

lemmy999

#2512 Post by lemmy999 »

@Jemimah

Amazing how such a seemingly small detail can cause soooo much trouble. Created a new ext2 partition, installed puppeee into a sub folder, tweaked grub accordingly and everything is looking good :D

Now for nfs and skype!

Thanks for all your help!

aarf

#2513 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:
aarf wrote:flwm: cosmetic not big issue.

I think this might be the result of filesystem corruption. Have you run an fsck on your save file?
yes did pfix=ram and fsck on the pupsave and it was clean. also have pfix=fsck in menu.lst . what is puzzling is it is random what will actually be on the desktop. no discernible pattern. for one boot when using an external sd card reader had the pwidgets backgrounds come in as murky light blue instead of the black. it isn't much effort to create a new pupsave but not sure if it will fix for long.

aarf

#2514 Post by aarf »

playdays writes in this threadhttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 374#441374
Lupusave save file. When you create a Save file I recommend at least 128MB--if the file is too small things will fail unpredictably
my pupsave is 32mb which is what i normally use. could this be part of the problem with my flwm desktop? free space icon in bottom task bar is not so accurate for personal storage file.

pemasu

#2515 Post by pemasu »

About pupsave. I usually use 512 mb - 1 gb even when using usbflash. I also usually install dev sfs to get python. That eliminates problems of too small pupsave or need to install something which is included with basic configuration.

After that testing and installing is easy. No problems with weird problems.

In lupu development thread there were some self-induced problems because of too small pupsave. The recommendation of 128 mb pupsave was justified.

sandungas

#2516 Post by sandungas »

I was testing with 32mb & 64mb savefile... (trying to reduce boot times) but both sizes are too small, and you will have a message in the top of the screen permanently remembering you that you must resize your savefile

But if you are interested in keep a small savefile take a look at the "remaster tool app" (is an app preinstalled in puppeee, i dont remember the name exactly)
With this app you can remaster the "big" filesystem.sfs by adding your changes & configs

I always boot in ramboot.. so i dont need to save anything

And talking about ramboot... it seems that the only way to make it work is placing all the files in the root of the device (puppeee main files + additional.sfs)... ALL in the root
The bad part is that ALL the .sfs in the root are loaded when booting (even the ones that are not configured to load in bootmanager)
If you dont want them to load, just remove them from root... not a big problem

Actually ramboot does not work with subdirectoryes
-You can boot puppeee from a subfolder, and place the additional.sfs in the root... but when booting in ramboot this additional files are not loaded (not detected by the bootmanager)... and you will have a error message in the boot "updating layered filesystem"... (a layer update that in fact is not working)

-If you boot puppeee from a subfolder, and place the additional.sfs in this same subfolder nothing is detected (even using psubdir= pdev= or pde1= ) none of this modyfiers solve it

----------------

Jemimah, what kind of changes do you do to the .sfs to work ?
All the ones that i downloaded for your web works fine (old & new ones... thx btw), but the originall puppyarcade8.sfs (sfs v4) created by scottman was not detected by the bootmanager
What kind of incompatibilityes can we find in other .sfs ?

I need blender.sfs to work, and i would like to learnt how to convert them

jemimah

#2517 Post by jemimah »

If the SFS has a version number in it, you just rename it - that's all I did (plus a tweak for icewm that sc0ttman suggested).

sandungas

#2518 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:If the SFS has a version number in it, you just rename it...
You mean the name of the file ? because yours has no numbers in the name (i.e. puppeee-arcade.sfs)

Edit:
Great, blender.sfs is loading :)

The original name was: blender-2.49b_431.sfs and i just renamed to: blender-2.49b.sfs (erased this _431 version number)

aarf

#2519 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:I think so. I have to do the paperwork first and tell Barry.

I'm not sure if I have enough megabytes left on my aircard (evil AT&T will cut you off if you go over the limit) to do the upload to ibibio so I need to wait until Monday.
jemimah: in case you miss this
Posted on 13 Aug 2010, 23:25 by BarryK
Re Puppeee
I did send an announcement for Puppeee to Ladislav at Distrowatch but he has chosen not to post it. Instead, he has added a comment to the Puppy 5.1 announcement.

It looks like Jemimah will have to register it as a separate distro, and it will then go into the waiting list (3 months).
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01756

sandungas

#2520 Post by sandungas »

I been tweaking a few pwidgets trying to adapt them for netbooks, if somebody is interested, the files are attached in this message with a short explain of how to install them -----> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 863#441863

*The battery one is fixed, because the original one shows duplicated info in puppeee