e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Jim1911

#61 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi bones01,

Try Icewm, to change from JWM in Lupu-507, select Desktop, Desktop Settings, Window Manager Switcher Choose JWM or Icewm.

I've also had a running e-Sword disappear when minimized, and I believe I was using JWM at the time, however, it was an intermittent behaviour. Haven't noticed it happening with Icewm.

Jim

bones01

#62 Post by bones01 »

Thanks Jim,

I don't have the "Window Manager Switcher" in my menu. I'm using Lupu 5.0.1, so don't know if that makes a difference.

There's always something else to be done!

cheers

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#63 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Thanks Jim,

I don't have the "Window Manager Switcher" in my menu. I'm using Lupu 5.0.1, so don't know if that makes a difference.

There's always something else to be done!

cheers

Bones
Yes, that's only in the betas for 5.1 and they are very stable on my computer.

Frank Cox

Desktop File -Appearance

#64 Post by Frank Cox »

I built a new 431 full install for my flash drive and I get this error message on the desktop file which is the one you wrote and copied it into Geany and saved to usr/share/applications

Can't find Exec command in .desktop file '/root/.usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop

I put the icon in pixmap but it does not find it either.

Its weird , the last install worked perfectly. one mistake I think I made was adding MFC40.DLL , I went back and added MFC42 but I don't know if it matters. Also the colors are horrible on the start page and poor in the graphics viewer .

This was the first time I installed 960.exe .

It does not show up in menu either. i don't understand how to make that file executable which may be the problem, esword.sh works fine.

Jim1911

#65 Post by Jim1911 »

Apparently, your flash drive paths are different on your installation. Since e-Sword.sh works properly, you just need to edit the paths in the .desktop file to reflect your installation.

Frank Cox

sh

#66 Post by Frank Cox »

Jim1911 wrote:Apparently, your flash drive paths are different on your installation. Since e-Sword.sh works properly, you just need to edit the paths in the .desktop file to reflect your installation.
I put the ,,sh file on the desktop to open the program. Do you have any idea why the graphics are do poor? Is there enough difference in 9.60 to cause that?

Thanks

Jim1911

#67 Post by Jim1911 »

Graphics quality has nothing to do with e-Sword version, just hardware and it's interface with the OS.

Frank Cox

Weird

#68 Post by Frank Cox »

Puppy created a Desktop file in root/desktop that opens the program and I overwrote the file is usr/share/applications with that one and now it opens the program but it still does not show up in menus. I ran fixmenus again,

disciple

#69 Post by disciple »

This .desktop file must specify a different "category", which isn't recognised by Puppy. Try editing it to match the category in the other .desktop file.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

Re: Weird

#70 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote:Puppy created a Desktop file in root/desktop that opens the program and I overwrote the file is usr/share/applications with that one and now it opens the program but it still does not show up in menus. I ran fixmenus again,
After running fixmenus, you also need to restartX.

Frank Cox

Wierd

#71 Post by Frank Cox »

disciple wrote:This .desktop file must specify a different "category", which isn't recognised by Puppy. Try editing it to match the category in the other .desktop file.
This gets weirder by the minute. Now the root desktop file is gone and what is left is usr/share/applications/e-sword.desktop and usr/share/applications/wine-e-sword.desktop
The one that functions is usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop.

Should I overwrite it or are they both wrong? Thanks!

usr/share/e-Sword.desktop

[?
Code:
Name=e-Sword
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png
Comment=Bible study
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WordProcessor
GenericName=e-Sword

usr/share/wine-esword.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Comment=Bible study tool
GenericName=Bible Study Tool
Exec=/usr/local/bin/e-sword
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Path=/root/.wine_Esword/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/e-Sword/
Icon=/usr/share/icons/e-sword.png
Categories=Word Processor
usr/share/e-Sword.desktop

[?
Code:
Name=e-Sword
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png
Comment=Bible study
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WordProcessor
GenericName=e-Sword

usr/share/wine-esword.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Comment=Bible study tool
GenericName=Bible Study Tool
Exec=/usr/local/bin/e-sword
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Path=/root/.wine_Esword/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/e-Sword/
Icon=/usr/share/icons/e-sword.png
Categories=Word Processor

Frank Cox

Re: Weird

#72 Post by Frank Cox »

Jim1911 wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:Puppy created a Desktop file in root/desktop that opens the program and I overwrote the file is usr/share/applications with that one and now it opens the program but it still does not show up in menus. I ran fixmenus again,
I did,even tried rebooting . I posted the files above, thanks for all the help!

Jim1911

Re: Wierd

#73 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote: The one that functions is usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop.
If that file works, rename or delete the other. If you are still having problems, just go through the procedure on page 1 again.

disciple

#74 Post by disciple »

Actually, you only need to restart jwm, which is rather less disruptive :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#75 Post by disciple »

what is left is usr/share/applications/e-sword.desktop and usr/share/applications/wine-e-sword.desktop
The one that functions is usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop.

That one functions in the sense that it opens e-Sword? Or that it shows up in the menu?
Categories=WordProcessor matches my menu entry for abiword, so I think it should show up in the menu.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

PeacebyJesus

#76 Post by PeacebyJesus »

I have use E-sword like daily in XP for years, and thank God for it, but do not think i will install in Puppy, but TheWord Bible program is second to it. (http://www.theword.gr/) It only has a Windows version, but i have installed it using Wine in 2 other Linux distros and it runs fine with no other configuration needed, though it has lots of options in itself. I do use the compact install, and have no added many other modules to it. I like it that its Bible text comes with cross references, and i have been using it to make html N.T. Bible pages with commentary, using OpenOffice. (http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/Ne ... t_TOC.html)

bones01

#77 Post by bones01 »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi bones01,

Try Icewm, to change from JWM in Lupu-507, select Desktop, Desktop Settings, Window Manager Switcher Choose JWM or Icewm.

I've also had a running e-Sword disappear when minimized, and I believe I was using JWM at the time, however, it was an intermittent behaviour. Haven't noticed it happening with Icewm.

Jim
got ICEWM and e-sword now minimizes without disappearing. Think I'll hang on to it now.

Thanks
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

MRT42

Esword will not install on Puppy Lucid 5.11

#78 Post by MRT42 »

I am trying to install esword 9.51 on puppy lupu 5.11 I have downloaded and installed wine from quickpet (version 1.1.43). I got a message that gecko needed to be added and I followed the instructions on the wine wicki for installing it. I downloaded and installed the 2 dll's Jim1911 recommended to the directory /root/.wine "C:\\windows\\system32\". I also configured the two dll's he suggested in the wine config for native windows.

My problem is that now when I try to install the Esword setup .exe file nothing happens. I have tried telling it to open with wine but still no result.

I am running lupu 5.11 on a frugal install. I found a suggestion on the wine wiki that if a program fails to install with wine to try opening from terminal. I did that and got the following error message. Maybe it might explain why the install .exe file is not running. Here it is.

# wine setup951.exe
err:module:import_dll Library OLEAUT32.dll (which is needed by L "Z:\\mnt\\sdc1\\Mark's Toshiba Satelite Backup\\Downloads\\E-Sword\\version 9\\esword 9.51\\setup951.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L "Z:\\mnt\\sdc1\\Mark's Toshiba Satelite Backup\\Downloads\\E-Sword\\version 9\\esword 9.51\\setup951.exe" failed, status c0000135

Any ideas as to why this is not working or how I can get it to install? Thanks in advance.

MRT42

Solved! problem installing e-Sword on Lucid Puppy 5.11

#79 Post by MRT42 »

I seem to have found a solution to my problem of the e-Sword install file not installing. Rather than assigning the riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll to "native windows" in the wine config window I assigned them as "native, builtin). Then I tried again to install and it did without any problems. I am thankfully running e-sword now on my lucid puppy 5.11 frugal install and it is running fairly well. Everything seems to work although sometimes a bit jerky.

disciple

#80 Post by disciple »

FWIW you don't normally need gecko. It is only for internet explorer and such things.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER