tried many many distros and only puppy runs otb on this oldie
tried over 20 puppy's on it and tuxxx's classic 214 runs awesome
some of the 4.0 based ones worked ok but they always had sound issues

mrreality13

#142 Post by mrreality13 »

Woot scored a hell of a deal at a local thrift store

dell latitude d600
p3@750 mhz
384 ram(will prolly up this to 512 when i can)
10 gig hd-swaping in the 60 from my Toshiba satellite 2535cds
cdrom/1-2.0 usb
came with a dell usb wifi 1450 adapter-a/b/g

battery seems to run about a 1 hr running a video
just finished installing 5.1 runs great

it also has an s-vid out im a try to mess with

all for $45.00 usd
(plus grabbed an external usb cd drive for 5 bucks more can always use 1 of them)
Last edited by mrreality13 on Tue 17 Aug 2010, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

stalane

Compaq Core 2 Duo T7500

#143 Post by stalane »

Quriky 1.2 on a broken Compaq Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2Ghx
2 Gig Ram
160 Gig HD
Full Install

(Originally VISTA Basic)

The CPU fan is dead since someone dropped this machine before I inherited it. So I have to run it full time on a laptop fan stand thingy. After unzipping a big file or playing multimedia I get a temperature warning...

So I then move the fan directly under the CPU. The result is off balance so I MUST use a very cold, large Bintang Beer as a counterweight.

Works Perfectly!

Moral support in the background is Oke and she says "Hi"

:D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Compaq Core 2 Duo T7500

#144 Post by Béèm »

stalane wrote:Quriky 1.2 on a broken Compaq Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2Ghx
2 Gig Ram
160 Gig HD
Full Install

(Originally VISTA Basic)

The CPU fan is dead since someone dropped this machine before I inherited it. So I have to run it full time on a laptop fan stand thingy. After unzipping a big file or playing multimedia I get a temperature warning...

So I then move the fan directly under the CPU. The result is off balance so I MUST use a very cold, large Bintang Beer as a counterweight.

Works Perfectly!

Moral support in the background is Oke and she says "Hi"

:D
When embedding pictures they should only be 600 wide.
People with small monitors have to side scroll to see the posts.
Could you re-size your picture to max 600 wide and edit your post to use this re-sized picture.

Thank you.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

ken geometrics

#145 Post by ken geometrics »

davesurrey wrote:1. Advent 9315 (also known as Advent 3.

Asus eee 701 netbook.

upgraded to 2GB ram
4GB SSD
Tried everything but best was Puppy Dingo Plus .
Not used any more.

I still use mine. I take my eepc with puppy 431 with me when
I travel.

I use the eepc to (slowly) bring up open office and edit documents etc.

I have 2 Keyspan USB to RS-232 converters that work just fine with it letting me do RS-232 serial with something that almost fits in my pocket.

I have a nearly identical system on an IBM Thinkpad. On the thinkpad, I made a small partition and did a full install into it. grub gives me the choice of using the puppy-431 or suffering through the XP it cam with.

Not a laptop but: I also have the same system set up on my home desk top. That is what I am using now. All three machines look the same to me. No relearning when I change machines.

Dave_B

#146 Post by Dave_B »

I'm running a full disk install of Puppy 5.01 (upgraded recently from 4.31) on an HP 500 Omnibook.
The laptop has a 750Mhz P3, 512M of ram and a 20 Gb hard drive.

I am connected to the internet via the onboard wireless and surfing is fine with Opera. Videos are jerky with the other browsers.

I have 3 other Linux distros on other machines, but I prefer to use this Puppy powered dinosaur.

Dave

Sanity Clause

#147 Post by Sanity Clause »

I'm running Lucid in a nearly dead Compaq Presario 2500; 256 M ram and a 80G HD thats died. Bought it 2003 and have fought it ever since.

Running the onboard 10/100 nic and have had no problems running Firefox or Puppy's browser.

So far everything in Lucid is working well and I would sing its praises to the world!

Having said that, can I have a newer laptop for Christmas, pleeeeeze?

agoodegg

Puppy on laptop

#148 Post by agoodegg »

I'm running pup501 from a USB stick

on an ACER Aspire 1642WLMi that has windows xp(he) and pclinuxos .

I had a bit of trouble gating the WIFI to work,
but it now works as you can see javascript:emoticon(':!:')

regards all Egg

steve_s

#149 Post by steve_s »

Latest work: KDPup lite from forum member dejan555, booting from a livecd and using an external usb flash drive that has a save file and needed sfs files.

No internal hard drive at all.

HP Pavilion N5470.

Took wireless card out of another laptop and put it in here...that was fun (not!).

Sound card needs to be started every time, so wrote a script that does it at startup...here it is for future reference:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
/etc/init.d/alsa stop
modprobe snd-maestro3
/etc/init.d/alsa start
If the version of Puppy you are using doesn't have /root/Startup/ and you want to run something at startup put it in /etc/init.d/ folder.

Won't power off: just had to apply this because this version of puppy wouldn't turn off, just shut down system but not turn off. This fixed that.

Also, using the livecd per this version would always ask me to take out the livecd and hit enter. I asked dejan what to do and he sayed to comment out this part of /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and now it doesn't ask me that anymore:

Code: Select all

# eject all 
if [ "$DETECTEDCDS" ]; then 
  echo -n "Ejecting CD's..." >/dev/console 
  for ONEDRV in $DETECTEDCDS; do 
   if eject /dev/$ONEDRV ;then 
      echo -n "Remove the medium, then press [Enter]: " >/dev/console 
      read REP 
      eject -t /dev/$ONEDRV 
   fi 
  done 
fi 
#the end#

Other than an occasionally twitchy mouse-finger pad, this laptop looks and runs great.
Attachments
kdpup-screenie1.jpg
(63.69 KiB) Downloaded 4983 times
Last edited by steve_s on Sun 22 Aug 2010, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

benny7440

I've Ubuntu somewhere but I prefer Puppy Linux; shhhh

#150 Post by benny7440 »

...a live cd. Thanks to the fact it has 528MB of RAM it runs very ok.
Before having this notebook I was using an old laptop (eBuddy from Earthwalk with just 128MB of RAM with a frugal PL 421 installation & it was behaving very well, too).
Now, I don't know if this's the right place to put this but I'm having a new problem with PL 431. I wanted & tried to install it in an SD Card (128MB - TransFlash) in order to stop booting up with the live cd all the time &, more important than that, to make some configurations persistent: i.e. Bookmarks, Internet Connections Configuratrions, some docs, etc..
As far as I can tell all the necessary files are installed but this notebook refuses to boot, it does the same thing with a DSL in a flash drive that's working in other machines (eBuddy). I already checked that the BIOS is configurable to permit a usb boot. I've a little interface from Motorola to put in the SD Card & connect to a computer via a usb port: tried that to with the same result (I mean to boot via usb & not to install when it's in the said interface).
I noticed that the PET installer gives some alternatives but I think I exhausted the relevant ones except for the least recommended one because I'm digging for some extra info before I do commit myself with the last alternative.
Keep developing one of the best OS available to all in the space required by WIN98 twelve years ago: REMARKABLE!
Note: People that I tell this & other things concerning Puppy Linux make me promise to show them because they don't beleive it.

steve_s

Re: I've Ubuntu somewhere but I prefer Puppy Linux; shhhh

#151 Post by steve_s »

benny7440 wrote:...a live cd. Thanks to the fact it has 528MB of RAM it runs very ok.
Before having this notebook I was using an old laptop (eBuddy from Earthwalk with just 128MB of RAM with a frugal PL 421 installation & it was behaving very well, too).
Now, I don't know if this's the right place to put this but I'm having a new problem with PL 431. I wanted & tried to install it in an SD Card (128MB - TransFlash) in order to stop booting up with the live cd all the time &, more important than that, to make some configurations persistent: i.e. Bookmarks, Internet Connections Configuratrions, some docs, etc..
As far as I can tell all the necessary files are installed but this notebook refuses to boot, it does the same thing with a DSL in a flash drive that's working in other machines (eBuddy). I already checked that the BIOS is configurable to permit a usb boot. I've a little interface from Motorola to put in the SD Card & connect to a computer via a usb port: tried that to with the same result (I mean to boot via usb & not to install when it's in the said interface).
I noticed that the PET installer gives some alternatives but I think I exhausted the relevant ones except for the least recommended one because I'm digging for some extra info before I do commit myself with the last alternative.
Keep developing one of the best OS available to all in the space required by WIN98 twelve years ago: REMARKABLE!
Note: People that I tell this & other things concerning Puppy Linux make me promise to show them because they don't beleive it.
Hey, Benny! What exactly does it do when you try to boot it? Does it boot grub then give an error or just say operating system not found, or what?

esl

Work in progress

#152 Post by esl »

As a work in progress I got my old Thinkpad 380Z running suprisingly well (minus network) from the 5.01 live CD, specs as below:

Processor Pentium II (Deschutes)
Memory 92MB (42MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.50
All hardware figured out pretty much automatically.
Sound system need some trivial manual intervention.

Rolled back to Puppy 4.3.1 and that gets the Netgear configured seemingly OK, recognised by my router OK, but still no internet connection - so temporarily stumped and can't figure it out...

George

Aitch

#153 Post by Aitch »

George

see my reply in this thread, you may have a DNS problem, especially if using Virgin ISP

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50515

HTH

Aitch :)

rokytnji

#154 Post by rokytnji »

Been awhile since I have posted what works on this thread. I have sold some of the other Laptops I have previously posted and purchased a couple of Netbooks with the percentage of funds made .

Asus EEEPC 701SD.
8gig internal SSD (AntiX 8.5 Full iso/Full Install)
1 gig of ram
Puppeee 4.4 Beta. Frugal install on 4 gig external SD Flash card.

Asus EEEPC 900
4gig SSD primary/ 16 gig secondary (AntiX 8.5 full iso/ full install. / on 4 gig SSD. /home on 16 gig secondary SSD)
2gig of ram.
Puppeee 4.3.7 Beta. Frugal install on 4 gig Externall SD Flash Card.

Both Netbooks have Camera,Sound including Mic, Hotkeys, Flash, Media Players, Skype, working out of the box using Puppeee. I have documented this in Puppeee threads also.
Last edited by rokytnji on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

ZekeMenuar

#155 Post by ZekeMenuar »

I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 on a 4gb SanDisk Traveler flash drive.
I have Puppy setup to load into RAM.

My laptop is a Enpower EN660 aka MSI PR600.
Enpower was the store brand of PC Club before they went under.

Intel Core 2 Duo T7100
Intel 965 onboard graphics
4GB RAM
15.4" monitor
Intel PRO Wireless 4965

Installed and runs with no drama.
Puppy is my preferred OS when running the laptop only.

Still working on solutions for running an extended desktop with the 15.4" laptop monitor and a 19" external monitor.

As soon as I can I hope to install Puppy along side Windoze 7 in a dual-boot.

The flash drive also works on my wife's similar Enpower laptop.
It has a Intel T5400 chip, NVidia graphics and 2gb RAM. and has the same MSI chassis.

dingo53

#156 Post by dingo53 »

Hi all,
After a few initial issues Puppy 511 is working quite well with some reservations.

The biggest problem was getting Puppy onto the hard drive. The stock CD rom drive on this vintage laptop doesn't like large files, resulting in "hangs" either on booting from the CD or during the install process.

The solution for that was to commence the install on another PC then refitting the HD.

The video chipset also had its moments. Xvesa could achieve the 800x600 resolution though woefully slow. Downloading the Xorg_High driver solved that after manually editing the xorg config to 800x600 (it offered 640x400)

No problems with the sound or network adapter, SMC2206 USB - Ethernet.

I still haven't been able to get the cardbus / PCMCIA adapter to work, though I haven't tried it since installing toshset.

The other reservation, which is not just a Puppy issue is the small screen size. At only 800x600 resolution it's not a serious web browser. Many sites do not display correctly. This site does though! Some of the Puppy GUIs are too high, making things difficult.

It does what I wanted it to, that's as an ebook for the EMC2 documentation I'm trying to absorb and put to use and running Skype to stay in touch with friends and family.

With 192MB of ram I opted for a full install. It's currently using 112MB with SeaMonkey and Skype running.

Pushing things to the limit I tried Pradio. Radio's fine however TV just makes it. Moving the video window kills it, resulting in a black window. Oh well, can't expect too much from a K6-2-400.

Just for fun, I've installed 421 retro frugal on a second partition. No problems getting those big files from the CD under Puppy Linux.

Puppy 511 is a great upgrade from Win98SE, and much easier to install.

dingo53

#157 Post by dingo53 »

No problems on this Acer Laptop yet. Supposedly designed for Win XP it ran like a 3 legged log until I fed it Puppy 511, full install, with Firefox and Skype.

I've now got my sights set on my daughters Toshiba :) It's bogged down and can't get up. Just need to make sure it will go with Testra mobile wireless and I-pod.
Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT 192MB Puppy 511 full and Puppy 421 frugal.
Acer TravelMate 270 Puppy 511 full & Seamonkey. Wary090 frugal

gary

eMachines eM250 notes...

#158 Post by gary »

Recently installed Lupu511 on a eMachines (Acer) eM250 netbook...

CPU: Atom N270 1.6Ghz hyperthread single core
RAM: 1Gig
HD: Hitachi HTS54502 SATA 250Gig 2.5inch internal
CD: N/A
Display: 10 inch LCD 1024X600 native
VGA Cntlr: Intel 945GMS/GME
Audio: Intel N10/CH 7 hi-def
Network: Broadcom BCM4312 802/11 b/g
Touchpad: Synaptic

Since there is no CD, I created a 4Gig flash and did a Universal Frugal install to the netbook from that.

Problems...
1) Initial problems getting the touchpad (synaptic) to work properly, but was solved... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60430

2) Had a little trouble connecting to my router, but after jumping thru a few hoops it works fine. A more intuitive "View local routers" would be helpful.

3) Hangs (a lot) at initial boot message "Loading drivers need to access disk drives". Interestingly, if the message is followed by exactly 5 dots, it will hang and the only work around is to hold power button until it shuts down, then restart by pushing button again. This is repeated until more than 5 dots are shown and it then boots successfully. This happens about 75% of the time and also happens when I boot from the flash drive???

4) Sound doesn't work yet, and am still working on this one?

Once booted, the system seems to run OK and is on par in the HW Info benchmarks with the 1.5Ghz Celeron reference CPU.
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

CatDude

#159 Post by CatDude »

Hi all

I have now added this link http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyOnLaptops
at the top of this thread.
This should make it easier for you to find what you are looking for, instead of wasting time trawling through this thread.

To those of you who have already contributed to this thread, may i ask a favour,
if you need to add any more details on any other laptops you get Puppy running on,
would you be so kind as to just add a new post on the end, rather than editing any existing posts.

This will make it a lot easier for me to try and keep the wiki page up to date.

A big thankyou to all who have contributed so far.
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Aitch

#160 Post by Aitch »

Thanks CatDude

A valuable resource, and I wish more people did this on long threads, no names mentioned

Aitch :)