Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sc0ttman

Re: ... still, mtpaint keeps opening up

#501 Post by sc0ttman »

nancy reagan wrote:Hi Cat,

Followed your instructions "v-bar" gone, but .... mtpaint keeps opening up ....????
Possibly this has something to do with the hotkey assigned to mtpaintsnapshot..
I removed the hotkeys for this script from the relevant jwm config files, because users reported this problem, especially in Xvesa...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Hugh

Turbopup Xtreme v.1.0

#502 Post by Hugh »

Synth and All,

In recent weeks I've tried many of the derivatives
in addition to the 'Official' releases. Although all
of them, with one exception, have worked on my
Older Hardware, it is difficult to find one that works
with SPEED.

So I find myself coming back to Turbopup time and
time again because it is such a HOT performer!

Just wanted to say, once again, Thank You Synth for
this great derivative! On my 'older' system it has
proven to be the "BEST!"
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

nancy reagan

Re: ... still, mtpaint keeps opening up

#503 Post by nancy reagan »

sc0ttman wrote:
nancy reagan wrote:Hi Cat,

Followed your instructions "v-bar" gone, but .... mtpaint keeps opening up ....????
Possibly this has something to do with the hotkey assigned to mtpaintsnapshot..

I removed the hotkeys for this script from the relevant jwm config files, because users reported this problem, especially in Xvesa...
Hi Cat f00 Scott, Thanks all

Final (?) question : how should Fancy Reagan (eternal beginner) "remove the hotkeys..." as reported by Scottman..

`f00

#504 Post by `f00 »

Owoo, hotkeys .. if they are more-or-less standard jwm hotkeys, chances are they'd be referenced in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file (in keybindings section). If that file or similar is not included (much like the /root/.jwmrc-tray file) in the template, jwm keybindings should be in the template itself (/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc file). If so, comment-out as usual and try simply reloading jwm (if the template was edited, you may need to run fixmenus first).

Pesky thing is, hotkeys can be bound to actions in a variety of ways :roll: Going back a bit, there's even a few processes/scripts that may stay 'up' unless explicitly killed (like on the htop screenie, I'm pretty sure I closed that dialogue for mtpaintsnapshot.sh and yet there it was..)

good luck/hunting

nancy reagan

Gave up

#505 Post by nancy reagan »

`f00 wrote:Owoo, hotkeys .. if they are more-or-less standard jwm hotkeys, chances are they'd be referenced in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file (in keybindings section). If that file or similar is not included (much like the /root/.jwmrc-tray file) in the template, jwm keybindings should be in the template itself (/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc file). If so, comment-out as usual and try simply reloading jwm (if the template was edited, you may need to run fixmenus first).

Pesky thing is, hotkeys can be bound to actions in a variety of ways :roll: Going back a bit, there's even a few processes/scripts that may stay 'up' unless explicitly killed (like on the htop screenie, I'm pretty sure I closed that dialogue for mtpaintsnapshot.sh and yet there it was..)

good luck/hunting
Thankx for your efforts. Gave up. Now in Brunopup set cpu manager and it seems .. that it does not shut down all of a sudden .. maybe it is not as hot as yesterday

darkstrike

IBM Aptiva

#506 Post by darkstrike »

Hiya folks!

I've read a lot of good things about this puplet in terms of it's performance, which leads me to want to give it a try. I've got an ancient IBM Aptiva kicking about that many of you have probably seen me post about in the past and I am trying to find a pretty decent Puppy derivative to give the old beast a bit of life back. I tried putting Puppy Stardust 013 on it, but it seems sluggish.

I was curious how well you think TurboPup would run on it? It's got a 200mhz Pentium, 64mbs of RAM, a 2mb video card, a 2.5gb HDD, and an old Sound Blaster Pro 2 sound card that a few Pups I've tried do not seem to like. I'd like to be able to run some fairly modern programs, Skype for one, some sort of MSN client (probably Pidgin as it has a pretty low overhead), and then a Mozilla-based browser that I could import my usual bookmarks into...say Seamonkey or Firefox......think it's plausibly doable on TurboPup? Mostly using it as a basic internet machine (e-mail, surfing, nothing elaborate like streaming internet video or anything of course, haha!) I know some things had to have been cut out to lower it's overhead, so I was curious.

I've also been told to give Puppy 214X-r5 a try...thoughts? Comparisons? :) I'm assuming I should be using a Full install? I've been lurking for awhile, but I'm still pretty much a Linux newbie...

cthisbear

#507 Post by cthisbear »

darkstrike:

Download both TurboPup and Puppy 214X-r5.

Copy the sfs file onto the drive...one test at a time.

Load the corresponding Puppy in your cd and
see if it picks up the file from your hard drive and boots up.
Your copied sfs >> has to be lowercase.

Cheat Frugal...Simple.. no dangers...faster...no installation issues.

Chris.

darkstrike

#508 Post by darkstrike »

Thanks cthisbear, I'll give it a go once I pick up some CDs; is there a certain place I have to copy the SFS to? I've never used Frugal installs before, just Full installs.
Last edited by darkstrike on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

AtleTZ

Turbo Pup with Qualcomm CDMA PCMCIA modem

#509 Post by AtleTZ »

Dear all....

I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to get this modem working in Turbo Pup as i only have 128mb ram and also find Turbo very nice...

Can i install some pet?

Atle

Flapdoodle

Re: Turbo Pup with Qualcomm CDMA PCMCIA modem

#510 Post by Flapdoodle »

[quote="AtleTZ

I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to get this modem working in Turbo Pup as i only have 128mb ram and also find Turbo very nice...

[/quote]

This might be a little help:
http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/cards/

Near the bottom of the page

Aitch

#511 Post by Aitch »

AtleTZ

long thread, but best place for help, ask Richard

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828

Also see this for modem test .pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 241#349241
The instruction to a user would be to install the dotpet, in a console type:
./pmodemdiag
and attach the tarball to a posting or PM to the helper.
HTH

Aitch :)

fyujj

#512 Post by fyujj »

I would just like to report that one can't download Turbopup from the link at the first page of this thread. It gives a "530 Login incorrect." error.
The link there is ftp://puppyiso:puppyiso456@ftp.servage. ... eme_v1.iso
I tried changing it for ftp://ftp.servage.net/turbopup_xtreme_v1.iso and setting up the username for "puppy" and the password for "linux" in wget but it gave me some error, if I remember well it didn't recognize the username (I tried again in Lupu now but it's giving me error messages in Slovenian or a similar language ;) )
Is there another link to download it?

muggins

#513 Post by muggins »

fyujj,

see here.

fyujj

#514 Post by fyujj »

Thank you, muggins.

puprag

weird noises when recording with my sound card

#515 Post by puprag »

I am getting some weird noises when recording with my sound card with Turbopuppy does anybody know why?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VN2KR5F7

Q5sys

#516 Post by Q5sys »

fyujj wrote:I would just like to report that one can't download Turbopup from the link at the first page of this thread. It gives a "530 Login incorrect." error.
The link there is ftp://puppyiso:puppyiso456@ftp.servage. ... eme_v1.iso
I tried changing it for ftp://ftp.servage.net/turbopup_xtreme_v1.iso and setting up the username for "puppy" and the password for "linux" in wget but it gave me some error, if I remember well it didn't recognize the username (I tried again in Lupu now but it's giving me error messages in Slovenian or a similar language ;) )
Is there another link to download it?
to quote a post a few pages earlier...
CatDude wrote:Hello emil

Try this: http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/other/turbopup_xtreme_v1.iso
username:puppy
password:linux
md5sum 48d59d71310526b4468b63d21ba83651

If you have no joy with that, Try one of the links here

Hope that helps
CatDude

darkstrike

Odd install error?

#517 Post by darkstrike »

Hey all!

In the last week, I've been trying two different distros on my ancient Aptiva as recommended by CThisBear, the second of which is TurboPup. I had installed Puppy 2.14X RC5 and have been giving that a whirl, and it's not bad at all, but considering how minimalist TurboPup is, I was wondering if it would work any better!

Long story short, when I start my installation, during the install process, I have a number of windows that pop up from the Package Manager asking me if I want to remove certain packages...? Is there any particular reason why this is happening? I haven't touched the package manager, and it seems odd that it's asking me to remove packages from a LiveCD and a hard drive partition that doesn't even have anything on yet...?

Apologies if I missed a post somewhere explaining how to solve this glitch!

muggins

#518 Post by muggins »

I wonder whether, when you've booted it, if it has "grabbed" an existing pup_save file from some previous pup version.

darkstrike

#519 Post by darkstrike »

It can't there's only one partition and it's formatted as a completely empty ext2 partition?

Unless somehow it's grabbing something off the drive that wasn't completely overwritten in the format? No idea!

Flapdoodle

#520 Post by Flapdoodle »

I have been using TPE as my only OS for some time now. Love it!
Is there a version 1.1 still in the works? Are beta testers needed?