Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scabz

Re: new personal save file, reinstall firefox questions

#2441 Post by scabz »

simon1482 wrote:
sandungas wrote: Inside puppee there are some apps to edit .sfs filesystems and to resize the savefile (inside "filesystem" apps in the menu)

Make a copy of your savefile before trying any of this
Thanks, but the Resize tool only works to make it bigger, how do I start from scratch with a new smaller Personal Storage file? (I am running puppee off my SSD)
there are a couple different ways to do it, one way is to go to the folder where you pup_save is and create a new text file, or just new file and name it pup_save-fake.2fs and reboot. when it reboots it will ask you which save file to use pick none because the pup_save you made is fake.

when you shutdown it will ask to make a new pup_save.
when you boot with the new pup_save you can delete the old one and fake one, or save the old one somewhere different.

jemimah

#2442 Post by jemimah »

simon1482 wrote:
sandungas wrote: Inside puppee there are some apps to edit .sfs filesystems and to resize the savefile (inside "filesystem" apps in the menu)

Make a copy of your savefile before trying any of this
Thanks, but the Resize tool only works to make it bigger, how do I start from scratch with a new smaller Personal Storage file? (I am running puppee off my SSD)

I don't mind if I lose all my settings etc, I found it quite quick and easy to get puppeee tweaked to suit my taste.

Can anyone help with my firefox question below, please?
simon1482 wrote:Also, Firefox has become bloated with all my extensions etc (I start firefox with an empty tab, but it freezes for 10 sec after I enter the first URL before loading the page, doesn't happen each time I open another tab though). How do I uninstall firefox so that I can do a fresh install? (eg do I need to delete the .mozilla directory etc?)
Did you see my reply? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#438525

aarf

#2443 Post by aarf »

puppeeerc7: WEP with two spaces in the SSID name, downloading puppeeerc 8, initial ETA was 3d plus. averaging under 1Kb/sec. other nonpuppy users are saying there is no speed problem for them.
been consistent slow for me since i started using this only available connection from three days ago.

jemimah

#2444 Post by jemimah »

Raffy has installed a new forum for us at Puppeee.com.

I am working on configuring it. Please test it out and let me know if you have any trouble signing up or using it.

http://puppeee.com/bb

simon1482

#2445 Post by simon1482 »

jemimah wrote:Did you see my reply? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#438525
Sorry I totally missed it! Thanks heaps.

sandungas

Re: puppeee tshirts

#2446 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:
sandungas wrote:
"IceWm configuration" app generates a strange error that i cant understand (i supose that changes something in the "global" iceWM config file)
To replicate the fail:
1- open MENU/DESKTOP/ICEWM CONFIGURATION
2- close icewm configuration (just open & close, there is no need to change settings)
3- right click on the mouse over any of the taskbar monitor apps (battery, temperature, etc...)

This makes the taskbar icons to lost their background settings, and the fail happens in all the themes, even after rebooting the fail is permanent (and i have not found a way to fix it)

------------------------
Hmm, I can't reproduce it. Anyone else have this issue?
I realized that if i boot a clean install of puppeee, this problems is not present, so there must be something wrong with icewm config in my savefile
I dont remember exactly what i did, but this days i was playing with icewm, so probably it was my fault
jemimah wrote:
sandungas wrote:
Xcompmgr desktop effects is very cpu/gpu intensive, the windows effects are veeeeeeery slow
I think this app is unusable in a eeepc, and dont match with the idea of puppeee (fast & light)
What model EeePC do you have? The effects seem much smoother on Celeron than Atom in my testing, but never totally unusable. What kind of framerate do you get in glxgears?
glxgears gives me a 237 FPS

To be more precise, what is slow is the fade effect behind windows & menu
-windows - a bit slow, but usable
-menu - same speed than windows fade, but adding the delay of the menu items in icewm... makes the menu seem buggy

The shadow effects behind windows/taskbar/menu are nice, no problem with them

Maybe there is a config file with the fade speed, or with an option to deactivate it, but seems more a problem of the app than a problem of puppeee

----------------------------------

Yesterday i readed that the icewm puppeee uses is compiled by you, and you was talking about transparencyes
I realized about an strage behaviour with desktop icons

The problem happens in icewm themes that uses background images in the menu/submenues (like the themes i did)
If you change between "Graphic" & "Office" & "Personal" submenues... you will see some desktops icons behind them dissapear partially (i.e. chat icon)

Seems to be some kind of delay with the menu background images (probably something normal)

The strange thing is that Xcompmgr fixes this problem (if you activate Xcompmgr the menu is slower because the fade effect, but the problem with dissapearing icons get fixed) :shock:

simon1482

#2447 Post by simon1482 »

Thanks for all your help so far! Unfortunately, I've got myself in trouble again...do'h...

After getting firefox tweaked to my taste, its suddenly gone back to its default settings/extensions/plugins/etc. I was experimenting with Desktops (Rox-Filer, PCManFM, etc), somehow I think this has killed it. The settings I want back are in
/initrd/pup_ro1/root/.mozilla

How do I tell which folder is being used by the current instance of firefox? And how to I get write access to this folder so I can move the files there? (I tried copying the files to other pup_ro2, pup_ro3, etc directories, but the directories were read only)

Thanks,
Simon

jemimah

Re: puppeee tshirts

#2448 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote: glxgears gives me a 237 FPS

To be more precise, what is slow is the fade effect behind windows & menu
-windows - a bit slow, but usable
-menu - same speed than windows fade, but adding the delay of the menu items in icewm... makes the menu seem buggy
The fade is tweakable (although adjusting the speed does not seem to help on Atom models [but looks good to me on Celeron], turning the fade off is also possible). Eventually I'm going to add more features to the GUI to allow more effects customization. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

jemimah

#2449 Post by jemimah »

simon1482 wrote:Thanks for all your help so far! Unfortunately, I've got myself in trouble again...do'h...

After getting firefox tweaked to my taste, its suddenly gone back to its default settings/extensions/plugins/etc. I was experimenting with Desktops (Rox-Filer, PCManFM, etc), somehow I think this has killed it. The settings I want back are in
/initrd/pup_ro1/root/.mozilla

How do I tell which folder is being used by the current instance of firefox? And how to I get write access to this folder so I can move the files there? (I tried copying the files to other pup_ro2, pup_ro3, etc directories, but the directories were read only)

Thanks,
Simon
The files in /initrd are the AUFS layers - you shouldn't try to modify them directly.

What Firefox uses is a result of combining the layers in the readonly file systems and your writable save file. If you just delete /root/.mozilla, AUFS will white that directory out and none of the layers will show through.

So what you need to do, is boot without loading the save file. Then click on the save file to open it and delete the .mozilla directory. Then the next time you boot, the .mozilla directory that I put in the firefox sfs file will show up and you can start over.

If you continue to have layering problems, you can use Pet Maker Plus to convert the firefox sfs file into a pet and install it normally. Then all the firefox stuff will be in your save file, and hopefully won't pull any weird disappearing acts. AUFS can be a touch buggy at times - if it bothers you, you can do a full install - in which case AUFS is not used.

sandungas

#2450 Post by sandungas »

I prefer firefox over chrome mostly because 2 plugins (AdBlock plus & NoScript)
These 2 are a must for me, they must be configured for every web you visit, but are "spam killers" and makes web browsing faster
Is easy to add plugins to the firefox.sfs ?

I have not tried, but im thinking to make a new puppeee install... reboot (save) and load firefox.sfs and install the plugins (reboot and save again)
Then boot a fresh puppee and take a look at the savefile to try to identify the plugins files
Extract this plugins files and try to inject them in firefox.sfs
Is doable ?

Actually im using chrome, because it seems that is more "integrated" with puppeeee (and faster), but the way chrome can be uninstalled is nice and gives us more freedom
Im not sure wich one i will use, but im happy with both

jemimah

#2451 Post by jemimah »

Have you tried these:
Adblock:https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... kkbiglidom
Flashblock:https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... bcaignabnl

Javascript can be managed in the Chrome content preferences.

------

Remastering the Firefox SFS is also pretty easy. Just install your addons and bookmarks and such. Then boot into Live mode, open your save file, and use the Edit-SFS application to open the Firefox SFS. Move the /root/.mozilla directory from your save file over the top of the one in the the Firefox SFS. Then click Build and you'll have a new custom SFS.

Firefox creates some rather large database files when it first starts up. For a smaller SFS file, you can delete those out of the .mozilla directory. It's sort of trial and error which files need to be there and which can be deleted, but you can look the the files I have in the SFS to get an idea.

jemimah

#2452 Post by jemimah »

Another thing to consider is using this method to block ads.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58332

Works for all browses and won't slow anything down.

jemimah

#2453 Post by jemimah »

Before I make the release announcement, can some people test out my isos, md5sums, and zip packages to make sure I didn't screw up anything major.

http://puppeee.com/files/Puppeee1.0/

aarf

#2454 Post by aarf »

Puppeee-1.0-celeron.iso 05-Aug-2010 00:35 127M
md5sum ok
click iso, copy 4 main files to folder on vfat partition on sdcard, grub boot ok
open wifi connect ok. auto reconnect wifi on reboot ok
opera portable 10.61 post this message ok
create ext3 pupsave, reboot ok
java sfs as configured here ok
pwidgets ok

zicozico

#2455 Post by zicozico »

downloading celeron-zip via crappy but free :-) internet connection in holiday resort in Switserland. (50 minutes left)

I'll test as soon as the download has completed, providing I'm not forced to go to a restaurant :-D

Regards,
Zicozico

calexand

Puppee 4.3 RC 8

#2456 Post by calexand »

Downloaded RC 8 last night, placed it on a 4GiB Sandisk Cruzer, and booted my 900A. The OS was indeed fast and felt stable, except for pwidgets, which would not work. I downloaded it from the Repository and did finally succeed to get the clock to work. Nothing else would work, no matter what I tried.
Looks good, otherwise.
CA

jemimah

#2457 Post by jemimah »

You need to start pwidgets using the Start/Stop Pwidgets entry the File menu. Upgrading it will probably break the patches for the Fan and Battery.

That reminds me I forgot to fix the double batteries in the battery widget. :(

calexand

#2458 Post by calexand »

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, Ma'am, I did attempt to start/stop pwidgets from the file menu. It would not start originally, that is why I decided to try downloading it (again?) from the repository.
Other than pwidgets (still) not working (properly), it appeared to cause no other noticeable harm to the OS.
Thanks again,
CA

jemimah

#2459 Post by jemimah »

Which window manager? Pwidgets/Openbox doesn't work right without some modifications. (Also it only works with ROX, not PCmanFM).

TomRhymer

Puppeee 1.0

#2460 Post by TomRhymer »

I downloaded both the Atom iso and zip, both matched the md5 sums.

Put the zip on a flash drive, ran it on my Aspire One. Everything that I've tried so far has worked fine. Saved and rebooted, no errors. Good job.

This is easily the best Linux distro I've ever found for netbooks. Thanks for all the work you've put into it.

BTW, is there an easy way to edit the boot menu? I'd like to move the 'don't check the hard drive' option out of the advanced menu.