Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: youtube2pup video downloader lupu 508

#1401 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:youtube2pup video downloader lupu 508

I don't find the youtube2pup video facility anymore.
I wanted to see if it is working now.

Will it be back?
Is it abandoned?
In the meantime I tried the flasgot extension for SeaMonkey and this works well.
Also coolpup referenced a solution with pvideo pet.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Stripe

#1402 Post by Stripe »

Hi Beem
There is a couple of good addons for firefox for downloading flash video in various formats (mp4, flv and 3gp)
( I normaly use the "1-click youtube video downloader") and mhwave edit will convert the video files to mp3s.
Hope this helps and if you need to know anything else just ask.
Stripe

playdayz

#1403 Post by playdayz »

I don't find the youtube2pup video facility anymore.
I wanted to see if it is working now.

Will it be back?
Is it abandoned?
Yes it is abandoned. Youtube changes thigns frequently to prevent programs such as you2pup from working and no one can keep up.

playdayz

#1404 Post by playdayz »

When boot to the desktop fails and a user has the command prompt it is hell to type when having a National Language Keyboard.

So no change here.
Béèm, Did you fail to boot to the desktop? The goal is that everyone can boot successfully to the desktop--we have solved the big problem from Lupu 5.0--which was Intel 855 graphics chipsets.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1405 Post by playdayz »

For example, through the video/language/keyboard changer, I could change the keyboard settings without dropping to the command line. Also, my internet connection fired up automatically without any intervention. These were quite great functions but they are lost in the latter lucis. Any chance to bring them back?
smil99, "change the keyboard settings without dropping to the command line." The code in 505 that allowed that was too complicated and untested. To make the changes now you don't actually see the command line--you would have to restart X either way. Since it is only once, generally, that people need to do this, we went for the safest way. But it also works to change over and over, ask me ;-) You can also use the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard to change Keyboard layout once you have set it once with the Classic Configuration Experience.

If you have ethernet your connection should have been automatic--the difference is that simple network setup doesn't run automatically. it seemed like too many things popping open at once.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#1406 Post by edoc »

pvideo is a wonderfully-valuable tool, thanks!

I have it working in spup 040, hope it will also work in TXZ_450 and Fatdog64-500.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

playdayz

#1407 Post by playdayz »

What happened to the menu item for nvidia settings? Missing?
Hey Smokey, That should be present after installing the nvidia pet, afaik. But 01micko will know for sure.

peebee

Laptop battery level indicator missing

#1408 Post by peebee »

Running 508 frugal install on HP550 laptop.

Looking really good....congrats to all involved.

I'm still without a battery level indicator on both JWM and IceWM - should I expect this to appear automatically? It always did with previous Puppies?

mplayer still does not do dvb-t properly for me - just get sound plus a blank white screen - VLC though if loaded works fine.

CUPS still crashes Chromium still but now works OK with Netsurf.

SNS now seems to maintain details of my wifi connection through a reboot which is a real advance - still have a problem with losing the AccessPoint but this can be re-established with an
iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxxxx
command.

Cheers
Peter

playdayz

#1409 Post by playdayz »

I'm still without a battery level indicator on both JWM and IceWM - should I expect this to appear automatically? It always did with previous Puppies?
Yes, it should appear automatically. 01micko is doing some last minute work on it that might help.
CUPS still crashes Chromium still but now works OK with Netsurf.
Are you sure about Netsurf? For me it gets to a point with drop down menus and they don't show right in Netsurf. I think there is nothing we can do about Chromium--people will want it even though it doesn't work for Cups.
mplayer still does not do dvb-t properly for me - just get sound plus a blank white screen - VLC though if loaded works fine.
And yes, at this point it is enough that there is a way to get it done, even if not the default.

peebee

CUPS - SMB - Netsurf - success

#1410 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:Are you sure about Netsurf? For me it gets to a point with drop down menus and they don't show right in Netsurf. I think there is nothing we can do about Chromium--people will want it even though it doesn't work for Cups.
Yes - I've managed to install a SMB printer that sends a raw PS file to my Windows XP box where it gets successfully printed using the REDMON and GSView runes and magic. Used Netsurf to do the CUPS setting up bit on lupu508 AOK - drop down menus worked where needed.

Cheers
Peter

Jasper

#1411 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdazs and the team,

I agree there is a stunning choice of "Nathan" backgrounds which will surely please thousands of new users as well as current devotees.

I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.

I also agree with the comment above about dark coloured text on a dark background so I hope that very few new users will be affected by this or alternatively, and preferably, the standard set up can be made universally legible.

It would be good to have existing programs updated (e.g. Osmo).

Lucid Puppy 5.1 will justifiably receive rave reviews and huge acclaim. I am now using 5.0.0 as my main OS (having today relegated Xubuntu to the back burner despite it is highly tweaked to suit my personal needs).

My regards and congratulations

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Lupu-508 Beta 3

#1412 Post by Billtoo »

This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.
My 4gb flash drive is down to 2.4gb free after installing quite a few things.

01micko

#1413 Post by 01micko »

James C..

I beat you in "How Low can Lupu Go?" stakes.... :lol:

AMD K6 400, 128MB RAM, 300MB swap :P

:lol:
Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1414 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
When boot to the desktop fails and a user has the command prompt it is hell to type when having a National Language Keyboard.

So no change here.
Béèm, Did you fail to boot to the desktop? The goal is that everyone can boot successfully to the desktop--we have solved the big problem from Lupu 5.0--which was Intel 855 graphics chipsets.
No I didn't fail to boot to the desktop. In this case by a mouse click the config can be done.

Good to hear that the big problem is solved. So let's hope that nobody has the problem anymore, then all is well.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#1415 Post by Jim1911 »

Lucid-508 is working great on my system with one notable exception. It has problems with an ext4 partition.

I tried an installation on an USB flash drive formatted to ext4. it appeared to install using the puppy universal installer, however it failed. Reformatted it to ext3 and it worked fine.

Also, tried a frugal installation on an internal ide ext4 partition, it also appeared to work with the universal installer, but no files were copied. I repeated this installation, but this time manually copied the files using ROX to the ext4 partition. It was successful, and booted properly.

I haven't tried a full hd installation.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#1416 Post by playdayz »

This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.
I did that same kind of install as a test billtoo, saving to the whole partition as you did. I thought things were too slow to use, but your tip might help there. Thanks.

shinobar

the first button

#1417 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:smil99, "change the keyboard settings without dropping to the command line." The code in 505 that allowed that was too complicated and untested.
I know your work is excellent but i think the complexity comes from the first button wrongly buttoned.
We have had to modify xwin instead of the acrobatic way of swaping xorgwizard.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 409#436409

if you hurry to release 5.1, then i am looking forward to 5.2.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

bit

#1418 Post by bit »

partview wrong
Attachments
1.png
(61.03 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times

stu90

#1419 Post by stu90 »

Modified 1280 pixels version of Conky Lucid for Puppy Lucid.

First install conky from puppy lucid repo in puppy package manager then install conky.puppy-0.1.pet

This is 1280 pixel version only.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/236535 ... py-0.1.pet

Config file is: /root/.conkytheme/conkyrc

added little turn on/off gui: /root/conky.switch

playdayz

#1420 Post by playdayz »

I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.
Yes Sir Jaspar, this is something that Icewm does correctly but not jwm. I should put in a message to restart X-server.

Thanks.