Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tubeguy

xorg-high

#1361 Post by tubeguy »

On first boot with 507 I installed the xorg high driver and got a weird looking desktop with no tray (attachment) after restarting xorg. Then installed Firefox and it went back to normal. System does seem a little snappier now.
Attachments
xorghigh.jpg
(77.41 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

playdayz

#1362 Post by playdayz »

Smokey01, You give me an idea. I don't know why we could not prepare a xine package and place it in the Puppy Package Manager. I have always like xine myself, ever since it outperformed power dvd on my windows partition. It had true 4 channel sound unlike power dvd. Ok, enough of that. We got quite a few complaints about gxine not working correctly and especially crashing--the gxine that had been used was from 2006 because the later ones did not work. We have gotten many fewer complaints about mplayer. But I am with you--Lucid puppy is about choice so I am going to try to make that package. Thanks. I am starting to think already--I will include the xineui as well as gxine. Xineui was the first Linux media player I ever used.

And I see nooby had the same idea.

<add> Yikes Smokey, it wasn't a slam dunk and I cannot put any more time in now. I used gxine, xine-lib, and mplayer_codecs_full from the Puppy 4 repo. It played some things but not all and it seg faulted. I had even less luck using the Ubuntu binaries. But it occurs to me, better late than never, that you must have a working gxine. If you could package it up and post it then I will be happy to put it in the puppy-lucid repo of PPM. That will be a great addition. Thanks.

scruffy

Testing Lupu-507

#1363 Post by scruffy »

Fresh Frugal install of Lupu507

Universal installer successfully installed 507 to USB Flash

Installed CatDude's grub-gfxboot pet then used Grub Bootloader to install Pupsta gfxmenu to Grub - looks very nice and it works. :)

Installed Opera 10.6 and imported all my mail/contacts/bookmarks. Email works fine. Youtube videos work well with Icewm.

The only problem I have so far is when my internet connection fails (happened regularly lately) I need to go through
the connection wizard to re-establish a connection. Up until Lupu 505 this happened automatically as soon as the internet came back.

Cheers
AMD Athlon 1100MHz 512MB -Soundcard C-media CMI8738 -Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440 - Netgear wired DSL

smokey01

#1364 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:
you must have a working gxine. If you could package it up and post it then I will be happy to put it in the puppy-lucid repo of PPM. That will be a great addition. Thanks.
I am using gxine 0.5.9 that you put in Lucid-Puppy-5.0. It works fine here. I know the later ones seem to cause some problems that's why Barry stuck with this version I believe. Another idea might be to setup the media players like you have done with the choice of browsers. The only problem with this is it will create problems for people with slow or no internet connections. If you don't have an internet connection then a browser is not important but a media player is a must.

Thanks

Stripe

#1365 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

seeing as we are so close to a release version I have just had a couple of quick ideas that may help.

1. Is there any way of getting a current list of the problems that have not been resolved yet, in the same place? so nothing gets missed between versions and to save having to trawl back through this post?

2. Could a checklist or rota be set up to make sure all applications have been tested fully (including pets) to ensure the best release version possible? instead of for example 47 people testing Gplayer and nobody testing 1 of the graphics programs and a possible problem slipping through.

Like I say these are just the personal thoughts of a newbie, and I apologise if these areas have already been taken care of, but as we are so close I just want to try and help get the best possible release of the best OS.
I know my technical ability is very limited but if there is anything else I can do to help, please just ask.
Stripe

playdayz

#1366 Post by playdayz »

I am using gxine 0.5.9 that you put in Lucid-Puppy-5.0. It works fine here. I know the later ones seem to cause some problems that's why Barry stuck with this version I believe. Another idea might be to setup the media players like you have done with the choice of browsers. The only problem with this is it will create problems for people with slow or no internet connections. If you don't have an internet connection then a browser is not important but a media player is a must.
It's too late to do that this time--but I think placing it in PPM would be close to as good. You are using it in 5.00 I assume. I tried this afternoon to use gxine, xine-lib, and mplayer_codecs_full put I had some problems. Could you try to extract them from 5.00 that will work in 5.07. I will try again too. Thanks. There is obviously more needed than just gxine, xine-libs, and mplayer_codecs_basic. Only mpg video will play both video and audio--other video formats only play audio. mp3 audio plays but not flac.
1. Is there any way of getting a current list of the problems that have not been resolved yet, in the same place? so nothing gets missed between versions and to save having to trawl back through this post?

2. Could a checklist or rota be set up to make sure all applications have been tested fully (including pets) to ensure the best release version possible? instead of for example 47 people testing Gplayer and nobody testing 1 of the graphics programs and a possible problem slipping through.
This are good ideas Stripe. We are getting to the point where we could do that kind of organization. That's how it should be done and now we have the foundation to work from, imho. Not for 5.1 unfortunately, but for 5.2/5.5--01micko is rearing to get his hands on those Maverick binaries ;-) No joke, when you see the start of the next cycle please remind me. Thanks.

shinobar

Countrywizard

#1367 Post by shinobar »

I made countrywizard-0.1 and calling for testing.
Changing keyboard settings with this wizard, you need not have to fall back to console anymore.

See Advanced Topics » Additional Software » Desktop » Countrywizard-0.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

edoc

#1368 Post by edoc »

I imagine this is buried somewhere in the 92 pages of threads ... but just want to report that the old problem of overlapping text and graphics when scrolling in Seamonkey is still there:
VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
Display controller : Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Otherwise everything else I have tried so far seems rock-solid.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

01micko

#1369 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:(SNIP)
This are good ideas Stripe. We are getting to the point where we could do that kind of organization. That's how it should be done and now we have the foundation to work from, imho. Not for 5.1 unfortunately, but for 5.2/5.5--01micko is rearing to get his hands on those Maverick binaries ;-) No joke, when you see the start of the next cycle please remind me. Thanks.
technosaurus uses(d) googlecode. He did this for 4.4 but it didn't catch on too well as far as I know, that doesn't mean to say it wasn't a good idea. I think it was a great idea, just we are all so used to this forum that change is slow.

Of course there are the usual advantages/disadvantages, I won't go through them because the point of this post is not to discuss the idea but make aware that we can put some sort of system in place.

hehe.. Maverick . m-m-m (to steal a Lobster phrase) ... yes! But not for a month for me. You wont see me for a little while after 5.1 is released .. (I'll be around just not prominent :wink: )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smokey01

#1370 Post by smokey01 »

01micko and playdayz, I have just spent the day setting up lupu-507 on a friends machine. All worked pretty well except the sound volume is very low. I had tried all the normal things like alsamixer and retrovol and turned everything up full blast, still not very loud though. When I booted windows the sounds was very loud. Any ideas. HP Pavilion a1220a.

The other issue. When I placed a sfs file, picasa in this case at /mnt/home and rebooted, some of the icons returned to their original position. I think it was the screen lock, bin and zip. I had moved them to make way for Pwidgets. Not a big deal as the next boot I think they stayed put. It only seems to happen after a sfs file is added or removed via boot manager.

I'm a little confused about Gxine. The one I am using in lupu-5.0 is the one that came with 5.0. Are you saying you are having problems with it? I will see if I can find a copy and try it in lupu-507.

tubeguy

minor little thing with Glipper

#1371 Post by tubeguy »

507 frugal, after restarting, the glipper tray icon doesn't show although glipper is actually running and there is an empty space where the icon should be. Restarting x server puts it back in the tray.

As I said, minor, but 1st post says test everything, so... :)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1372 Post by Lobster »

When I booted windows the sounds was very loud. Any ideas.
I get low sound but not in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (so it is not the Ubuntu binaries)

I seem to remember that Barry did set the sound very low
and there was a reason . . .

I often have to set my woofer to max to get acceptable sound
Somewhere in the boot up there is a way of just
upping a number in a config file . . .
Maybe someone will remember . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

stu90

#1373 Post by stu90 »

Frugal 507 IceWM
Had to add powerapplet_tray to z-start-icetrayapps for the battery monitor to show in the task bar.

Jim1911

#1374 Post by Jim1911 »

smokey01 wrote:The other issue. When I placed a sfs file, picasa in this case at /mnt/home and rebooted, some of the icons returned to their original position. I think it was the screen lock, bin and zip. I had moved them to make way for Pwidgets. Not a big deal as the next boot I think they stayed put. It only seems to happen after a sfs file is added or removed via boot manager.
This is the normal operation for all pups using ROX. To compensate, make a backup of root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin (ie copy PuppyPin to PuppyPinBak) and after your reboot, delete PuppyPin and copy PuppyPinBak back to PuppyPin, then restartX, which will quickly restore your desktop to it's desired appearance.

01micko

#1375 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:
smokey01 wrote:The other issue. When I placed a sfs file, picasa in this case at /mnt/home and rebooted, some of the icons returned to their original position. I think it was the screen lock, bin and zip. I had moved them to make way for Pwidgets. Not a big deal as the next boot I think they stayed put. It only seems to happen after a sfs file is added or removed via boot manager.
This is the normal operation for all pups using ROX. To compensate, make a backup of root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin (ie copy PuppyPin to PuppyPinBak) and after your reboot, delete PuppyPin and copy PuppyPinBak back to PuppyPin, then restartX, which will quickly restore your desktop to it's desired appearance.
Yes, I've been meaning to swat that one for awhile.. should be relatively simple, (however there is one caveat, unpluggin/plugging dongles/cards between boots), it can wait, but not forever :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

Bibletime-2.7.2

#1376 Post by Jim1911 »

I used a clean frugal installation of 507 with Edit-SFS to edit tazoc's Bibletime-2.7.2a.sfs to add the libsthat I posted earlier for 506. The resulting Bibletime_lucid-2.7a.sfs works great. All that's necessary is to add the missing libs already posted. Menus and icons are correct.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#1377 Post by playdayz »

tubeguy, more info about saving to a partition. It works with a hard drive if and only if you install the frugal files to / instead of in a folder such as puppy510. That would be good for development I think. It worked for me anyway.

------------------------------------------------------
In lupu-508, we should test the sound level.
h[url]ttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=434775#434775[/url]
This might help.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1378 Post by playdayz »

I'm a little confused about Gxine. The one I am using in lupu-5.0 is the one that came with 5.0. Are you saying you are having problems with it? I will see if I can find a copy and try it in lupu-507.
Yes smokey, I used the pets gxine, xine-lib, and mplayer_codecs_basic that were installed in Lucid Pup 5.0, and installed them in 507 and the resulting gxine runs but it does not play everything it should--in fact it only plays a few things,. It plays mpg video and mp3 audio and maybe some others but not most video and not flac audio. There must be something else that is in 5.0, well duh, but I don't have time to chase it down right now. If you did then I would put it into PPM in time for the release of 5.1. Thanks.

I remember that when we made the shift from gxine and installed a pet of mplayer to test, someone reported that it made gxine not work as well anymore. But I would like to have it for PPM for sure if it could be compatible. We have a few days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hehe.. Maverick . m-m-m (to steal a Lobster phrase) ... yes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrsDT02OcE
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

Stripe

#1379 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Problem with sound icon (volume control) disapearing from taskbar and a loss of sound in icewm after a reboot, will reinstall with alsa sound card wizard (from the set up menu) but after a reboot in icewm it disapears again, but if rebooted into jvm the icon stays and I still have sound.

Stripe

playdayz

#1380 Post by playdayz »

Lupu-508 Beta 3 is ready for some testing. In the first message of this thread. Thanks.