Iguleder's package tools

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Iguleder

Iguleder's package tools

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Well ... here are some of the tools I wrote to make packaging easier, I think it would be nice to share them. They're useful with Lupu (with Ubuntu packages), dpup (with Debian Squeeze packages) and 4.x (with Debian Lenny packages). Also, when I compile something, I use these tools to trim it and split it in Puppy fashion.

1) strippkg and xdeb require the devx installed.
2) Use at your own risk.
Usage: strippkg [DIRECTORY]
Strip all binary files under DIRECTORY

Options:
--help Display this message and quit
First of all, a script that strips all executables, libraries and kernel modules under a directory. Very useful for trimming packages.
Usage: mkpkg [DIRECTORY]
Process the package in the directory DIRECTORY to separate DEV, NLS and DOC from it

Options:

Then, a script that processes packages and splits documentation, locales and development files from them automatically.
Usage: xdeb [PACKAGE]
Extract the Debian package PACKAGE to a subdirectory under the current directory

Options:
A script that extracts DEB packages to a subdirectory of the current directory.

When I convert DEB packages to PET packages, I extract them with xdeb, then run strippkg on them and finally, split them with mkpkg. Then, I run dir2pet on the DEV, NLS, DOC components and the main package.

Here's an example, I downloaded a GCC DEB from packages.ubuntu.com, then extracted it with xdeb and ran strippkg on it. Then, I used mkpkg to split DEV and DOC from it. Because Puppy comes without docs, I removed the DOC package and the result is a perfectly Puppy-trimmed package, stripped to the max. :wink:
Attachments
iguleder_tools-001.pet
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]