How do I install Avast?

Booting, installing, newbie
koverchenko

How do I install Avast?

#1 Post by koverchenko »

Hello everyone,

I am new to puppy linux and recently, while running XP, my computer was infected with a trojan. I ran the virus protection software I had installed on XP, but I'm not confident it removed all of the malware. A friend of mine suggested as an extra precaution on top of running several different virus protection programs through XP that I also run Avast through puppy linux.

At this point I've spent several hours on forms and web pages trying to figure out how to install Avast, and have only unzipped the tar.gz. file. Would anyone help out and instruct my on how to install Avast?

Also, I've registered with Avast and have my registration key.

ndujoe1

Avast

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

If you have dpup 4.84 you can download the .deb version of Avast.
Click on it and then at the console type avastgui and enter your registration key.

My intention also was to virus check a XP partition for a friend.

Avast ran but when I tried to update the definition files after entering my registration key it failed. Haven't figured out that problem yet.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Use the links given in this post to install using the avast4workstation-1.0.8.pet file.

Once installed, when you run it for the 1st time you will need to enter your registration key.
You can then use it [without updating the virus database], and it should scan successfully.

Then...
Prior to "Update database" in Avast! antivirus:
Enter the following command in a terminal...
/sbin/sysctl -w kernel/shmmax=130000000

I keep a record of all such commands in a text file in a folder I make = /04.
I make /00, /01, /02, /03, /04 folders for various handy purposes.
/00 is the folder to which Firefox is set to download.
They automatically are placed at the top of the folder hierarchy due to the alpha-numeric ordering.

1234seng

Install Avast (AND USE IT)

#4 Post by 1234seng »

The command you showed, Sylvander i.e. the/...kernel/shmmax=130000000, was a great help. It allowed me to run avast and update it and run with the updated virus-database.
I saved the session when I shutdown the PC and then, when I restarted and launched Avast it showed an "Error in avast engine : Invalid argument". Then when I make your command, It will start ok again.
Does that mean that normally the command must be entered at each startup ?

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

It has been a long time since I did this with Avast, and I've only a vague recollection of it.

Here's the original thread where I was given the idea/method.
Read that for ideas.

I guess the key to success is to add...
...The line of code = /sbin/sysctl -w kernel/shmmax=130000000
...To the file = /etc/rc.d/rc.local

1234seng

Other Installation of Avast

#6 Post by 1234seng »

Thank you again Sylvander. Yes seems to be as you say, however I feel I do not need this command to be executed before X starts, so it could be in Startup. All my googles on this site for converting the textfile with the command to an executable script failed. Finally "make a file executable" got the simple answer: right-click on it and set permissions !
I start with a CD and have a USB-disk for PupSave and the likes. Now I have on my USB-Stick the executable file Avast1. Once in Puppy, after switching on the PC, I just click on that Icon and thereafter I can run and update Avast.
Now I'd like to have the full install of Avast on the USB-Stick. The only Avast-package that would install in Pup431 was the Debian. Unfortunately it installs in /usr/lib and also some in /usr/bin with no chance to tell it to install elsewhere.
Anyone Knows how to change that ?

My Idea is to have almost no PupSave to be able to startup on any PC with a broken windows installation and scan and clean it

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Unfortunately it installs in /usr/lib and also some in /usr/bin with no chance to tell it to install elsewhere."
(a) How about this...
Leave the Avast installation on the Puppy Linux filesystem within the pupsave file...
But...
REMASTER the Puppy optical disk so as to incorporate all of the changes within the pupsave to the optical disk.
Then everything will be on the CD.
And the pupsave will be...
Er....empty .
But any subsequent changes, like the updates to the Avast virus definitions, made on this PC or that, would be incorporated into the pupsave file on the Flash Drive.
And you could, later on, remaster the CD yet again if you felt so inclined.

(b) You might remaster using Dougals's improvement to the standard Puppy remaster script.
Haven't used this for a while, but it worked when I did.

1234seng

choose install location

#8 Post by 1234seng »

I'm probably 'crossing the river to find water'. If On PC-xyz I have access to a USB port for reading a Pupsave, it doesn't really matter whether the Avast is inside the Pupsave or in a separate folder. The CD I made is probably not open to extend or modify so I think I'll stay with what I have, but thanks for your tip. It looks promising.
I looked into the wrap-script in the Avast install-files and there it specifies the folders in which it will install. If I were more familiar with install-scripts I would try to modify there.