Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

rerwin

#21 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
Now that I have been able to get to your diag file (after a busy weekend), I see that ttyUSB0 eventually got placed in the wvdial.conf file, implying that the probe found it. It looks like it took many tries to get to that point. However, I also see that you did not actually install my latest debug package.

You have stiginge-modem_7.1_debug-1, which is the first one I tried. Please uninstall that and install modem_7.1_debug-2.pet, from a few postings back - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 365#436365

Although they do no harm. the following packages are no longer needed, but DO NOT uninstall them:
- pmodemdiag-1.0
- modem_fix_pack_delta-7-to-7.1 (since it is already part of modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to-7.1)
I mention this only so that others can leave them out.
Did that numerous times and still won't find the modem.
It appears that the last time might have worked. But know that when you replug it, you then have to probe it again. Automatic detection operates only during boot-up. But probing should accomplish the same thing.

When your modem is recognized and its mode switched to "modem" (without the need for the mode-switch utility, BTW), probing should find it. Just be sure to wait a minute or two between plugging and probing, to give the device time to respond.

Other things: I see no evidence that you actually probed the device. Be sure to click on the "CHOOSE" (formerly "probe") button, then on the "PROBE" button on the next popup. I expect to see two log files, which are missing. They may get deleted when you exit Pupdial, so get the diag while pupdial is still up.

Also, when you make the diag file, please have the modem plugged in at the time. The list of USB devices (pupscan) looks strange, which is why I need to be sure it was plugged in.

Thanks for "hanging in there".
Richard

Toy4

Install modem_7.1_debug-2.pet,

#22 Post by Toy4 »

It still doesn't look like it did anything. Well, at least the proper files are now in place so we are going in the right direction again. Sorry for taking that step backwardd. I have attached another diag file and I left Pupscan open while I created it. I hope I did that in the correct sequence. Here goes......

Oh, It appears RC8 is available for update. If I update to RC8 will that screw up anything that has been loaded previously.
Asus EeePc 900A w/Puppeee1.0 with 3G modem (Sierra 598U)
AMD Duron 797Mhz w/Puppy4.31 & Puppy2.14& Puppy4.20
Dell Dimension 2350 w/Quirky1.20Retro & Lucid Puppy5.10& Wolfe020

rerwin

#23 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
If I update to RC8 will that screw up anything that has been loaded previously.
I believe jemimah has brought RC8 up to the 7.1 level. So, on a fresh installation/pupsave with RC8, just install the latest debug package, modem_7.1_debug-2.pet. Don't use your current pupsave, at least for these tests.
Richard

Toy4

Latest Test Diag file

#24 Post by Toy4 »

The Diag file I just sent you that is dated 26 July 2010 was generated off the RC7 system. I haven't updated it yet.

Toy4

Latest Test Diag file

#25 Post by Toy4 »

This one looks like something good happened and you may get some good info out of this file It didn't connect but it it tried and we maybe a lot closer to a good result. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your assistance.

rerwin

#26 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
I have updated, again, the debug package, to "-3". The mode switching is not being triggered. I suspect that puppeee RC7 does not have the latest usb_modeswitch packages. I will recommend that jemimah add them to the next RC, but I am out of time right now. Please uninstall "-2" and install "-3". The new package has a workaround for the missing modeswitch upgrade.
Richard

Toy4

Updatte to -3

#27 Post by Toy4 »

I updated to -3 and tested it again. I have attached the diag. Have a nice night.

rerwin

#28 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
Thanks for the diag file. It looks like everything worked as it should! As far as you went. If you intend to connect to the internet through the modem, you need to provide a "phone number", user ID and password -- often the ID and passwords are just fakes, because the provider does not require any, but the dialer requires something in those fields. The phone number is usually *99# or *99***1#.

Now please try RC8. I have just looked at it and see that it is not at level 7, so you need to install all four of the packages here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074
and then modem_7.1_debug-3.pet.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

Hmmm, I thought RC8 was at level 7. I don't think I got all 4 pets though. I'll update it again. :?

Toy4

RC8 and .packages

#30 Post by Toy4 »

Here is a list of the packages I have installed.

Puppeee RC8
pmodemdiag-1.0
modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to7.1
pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.1
modem_fix-pack_delta-7-to-7.1
modem_7.1_debug-3

When I sent that diag file last night my NetBook was already updated to RC8 (3rd Diag file).

I just tried what you suggested and used the real phone number and Toy4 as the username and a word for the password. It didn't work. OK, before I continue please make sure I am on the right path. I have done another diag file from after my latest attempt. Here it is:

rerwin

#31 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I am afraid I have bad news. The phone number you are using looks like what you would use when dialing from a land-line phone to get to an ISP. From what I have seen, the wireless modems use the cell phone systems, which apparently have their own way of providing data services. So, I don't think you can do what you are trying. As I mentioned before, the number most people use is some variant of #99*. I have also seen a number like 777, but certainly not a 10-digit number as used for voice calls.

I guess your options are to:
- Augment your cellular account to add data services.
- Use your analog modem (built-in, PCI card, PCcard) if you have one.
- Obtain a USB analog modem (SmartLink- or Conexant DGC-based)
Richard

Toy4

modem_fix_pack_delta-7-to-7.2.pet& modem_7.1_debug installed

#32 Post by Toy4 »

It is back to having attitude problems. It looked like it was going to work then a bunch of new ugly messages showed near where it paused last time then worked. This time it paused and then buckled. I have attached the most current diag file.

rerwin

modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to-7.2.pet connect wizard fixed

#33 Post by rerwin »

I have fixed the problem reported in Barry's blog
Posted on 8 Aug 2010, 16:20 by BarryK
script broken
Please do not apply modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to-7.2.pet in any Puppy greater than 4.x, as it breaks network setup.

The script /usr/sbin/connectwizard is overwritten with a very old version.

I will contact rerwin about this and he will post an upgrade for the PET.
That package has been re-uploaded with better implementation of the modem message changes. More details are given in the update in the first message of this thread.

In addition, I have upgraded the usb-modeswitch data base (to 7/7), to add 6 wireless devices:

Code: Select all

0421:060c - Nokia CS-10
0cf3:20ff  -  Atheros Wireless / Netgear WNDA3200
12d1:1031 - for Android SDK
12d1:14c1 - Vodafone (Huawei) K4605
12d1:1523 - Huawei R201
1ee8:0013 - Onda MW833UP
There is no need to replace your data base unless your wireless device has one of the listed hardware IDs.
Richard

Toy4

Modem not working

#34 Post by Toy4 »

When I last installed those 2 files you requested the modem stopped working. I saw that you said the modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to-7.2.pet that I installed was screwed up and should be removed. I removed and downloaded the newer one. Now my modem isn't detected at all. I am sending you a diag file to see anything sticks out. Please advise.

Toy4

Still having troubles with Puppeee Version 1.0

#35 Post by Toy4 »

After I installed version 1.0 of Puppeee and with a new save file. Now, I got nothing. I don't have Wlan so I am attaching this file from a Windows(sic) computer. This maybe that same as the one you got the other day. I can't get the 3G modem to show up. Boot with it in and probed it and nothing. It doesn't even show up.

rerwin

Code correction for wireless modem support

#36 Post by rerwin »

I have discovered a coding error in the magic logic that ensures that wireless modem drivers get loaded. Although the error may not affect all such modems, I cannot let it stand. The fix is in the attached package.

The package also addresses an issue uncovered by puppeee 1.0. The file that relates drivers to firmware is named to match the kernel name. However, puppeee uses two such names, but has the file named without the kernel part. Although there may be cases where different versions of the file are needed, much of the time the file is the same for all kernels used in a puplet or derivative. For cases like puppeee, I have added logic to create a link to the "generic" (non-kernel identified) file name, so developers need not attend to the naming unless a special version of the file is needed. The logic is in the package as an edit of rc.sysinit, so should apply to any version of rc.sysinit.

The package also includes a debug statement that I intend to remove (and re-upload the package) when I am convinced all is well. (I cannot completely test the magic myself, so need the debug info from actual wireless-modem users.)

UPDATE: Re-uploaded the package (after download number 10) with a different way of ensuring the correct firmware.dep file, by renaming it instead of creating a link. This is to avoid complicating the version-update process. There is no need to re-download it for testing, though, as the effect is the same as before.

UPDATE 8/28/2010: Uploaded "5.4" which improves the waiting for all firmware to load, particularly where a module substitution is made.
Richard
Attachments
pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-delta_5.2_to_5.4.pet
Fixes wireless modem error. Ensures correct firmware.dep file.
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 1451 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 28 Aug 2010, 03:47, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#37 Post by BarryK »

Richard,
The latest Woof supports logging of monthly tx/rx totals. Reported here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01758

I posted a comment to that blog thread outlining how support for monthly logging could be built into pupdial.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Toy4

Verizon USB760 Modem now works

#38 Post by Toy4 »

I was instructed to install pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-delta_5.2_to_5.3.pet that rerwin just created that would fix the recent modem and network issues. Well, I created another copy of Puppeee1.0 on my Netbook and added the pet package and rebooted numerous times. The only browser on 1.0 is chrome and while the 3G and the networks appeared to be working i wasn't able to properly test them.
I tried again later and now I can get chrome to load web pages and have verified that the modem works with the update on a clean install of Puppeee1.0... Many thanks to Rerwin for this.

rerwin

pupdial support of tx/rx accumulated monthly

#39 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
Attached is my implementation of tx/rx accumulation by pupdial. I collect separately for each of the two possible accounts, but provide a link for the reporting tool to access the active account values.

The files for rc.sysinit to initialize are:
- /var/local/pupdial/isp1/rx_bytes_month
- /var/local/pupdial/isp1/tx_bytes_month
- /var/local/pupdial/isp2/rx_bytes_month
- /var/local/pupdial/isp2/tx_bytes_month

The link for reporting the current ISP values is:
- /var/local/pupdial/isp

The package sets these up for testing, but there is no report program, yet. This provides a test case for whomever codes the reporter. A difference file is also attached.

Toy4,
This also has an updated modem script for you to try with puppeee 1.0. Your diag file indicates the detection logic is not adequate, so I added debug logging. Also, the diag file did not show your actually connecting with the modem. Could you wait until you are connected before you run pmodemdiag, so I can be sure all the pieces are playing right? Just install it on top of what you have, "CHOOSE > ERASE" in pupdial, then reboot. Thanks.

UPDATE 8/22/2010: Uploaded delta to 7.4, which has an improved statistics collector and improvements and debug info for USB modem detection and some troubleshooting.

UPDATE 8/23/2010: Re-uploaded 7.4 with fixes and possible workaround for ttyUSB connect failure - after download number 3.

UPDATE 8/24/2010: Re-uploaded 7.4 with debugging of puppeee modem problem - after download number 6.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fix_pack_delta-7.2_to_7.4.pet
statistics-accumulating pupdial and usbserial debugging
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 1294 times
diff-pupdial.tar.gz
pupdial difference listing - Shows the new code, but it is now moved to a new script,
modemdisconnect, because it is needed in 2 places in pupdial.
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 1290 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 02:44, edited 4 times in total.

Toy4

pet you requested was added

#40 Post by Toy4 »

I don't think I used pupdial yesterday and I don't think it went there. I clicked connect and then a window for gnome ppp showed up and i used that and it connected and showed a countdown of how long I was connected and it was 45:00. I just tried that again and it didn't work today. Went back and did Pupdial again but both of these will not show in the pmodemdiag file as it was taken right after I installed the fix and rebooted. Pupdial doesn't really show that I am connected but I am typing an entry in the forum and that can't be happening if the modem isn't connected. OK, here comes your file.