Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rerwin

#2421 Post by rerwin »

jemimah,
I have posted updates to the modem packages. Since it has been established that the "-7" versions don't work very well, you might as well upgrade to the latest attempt at getting it right. For your consideration, I am attaching a puppeee-specific collection of the changes to assist you in merging them into puppeee. It also includes the latest usb_modeswitch updates.

Before adding the new/updated files, please check the pinstall file for all the necessary deletions. That file also edits the firmware dep file, but you need not do that part. I have made the edits to your firmware.dep.2.6.30.5 and also to a copy of quirky's firmware.dep.2.6.33.2.

Since you are using kernel 2.6.33.2, shouldn't you also use the corresponding /etc/modules directory? In case that is desired, I have included the DOT.. file from quirky, too. And quirky does not have the generic firmware.dep file that RC8 has, so you might delete it from puppeee.

Although I named the file "delta 6 to 7.2', it does not contain most of the changes you have already made. However, a few scripts are identical except for the modify date -- yours are later than mine, perhaps due to how you merge them into puppeee -- that must change the date as you copy. I doubt it will be a problem if you use the early-dated versions -- the dates may again get changed anyway.

HTH.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fix_pack_delta-6-to-7.2-puppeee.tar.gz
puppeee updates for modems
(112.18 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

sandungas

#2422 Post by sandungas »

My icewm theme is finished, i think there is no need to pass you the files privately jemimah, is very modifyed to my likeness, and there is no too much room for modifications with black colour

But if you have some suggestion i can make a new one of any colour, i know that you like "girly" themes :) and i have been testing with pinks and looks nice (pure colours looks more real with the white/black degrades)

This theme is simple and very skinnable, and i tryed to simplify a lot the config file
Attachments
PuppEee Black Frosty.tar.gz
IceWM theme
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

jemimah

#2423 Post by jemimah »

rerwin wrote:jemimah,
I have posted updates to the modem packages. Since it has been established that the "-7" versions don't work very well, you might as well upgrade to the latest attempt at getting it right. For your consideration, I am attaching a puppeee-specific collection of the changes to assist you in merging them into puppeee. It also includes the latest usb_modeswitch updates.

Before adding the new/updated files, please check the pinstall file for all the necessary deletions. That file also edits the firmware dep file, but you need not do that part. I have made the edits to your firmware.dep.2.6.30.5 and also to a copy of quirky's firmware.dep.2.6.33.2.

Since you are using kernel 2.6.33.2, shouldn't you also use the corresponding /etc/modules directory? In case that is desired, I have included the DOT.. file from quirky, too. And quirky does not have the generic firmware.dep file that RC8 has, so you might delete it from puppeee.

Although I named the file "delta 6 to 7.2', it does not contain most of the changes you have already made. However, a few scripts are identical except for the modify date -- yours are later than mine, perhaps due to how you merge them into puppeee -- that must change the date as you copy. I doubt it will be a problem if you use the early-dated versions -- the dates may again get changed anyway.

HTH.
Richard
Thanks. I'll work on this today.

jemimah

#2424 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:My icewm theme is finished, i think there is no need to pass you the files privately jemimah, is very modifyed to my likeness, and there is no too much room for modifications with black colour

But if you have some suggestion i can make a new one of any colour, i know that you like "girly" themes :) and i have been testing with pinks and looks nice (pure colours looks more real with the white/black degrades)

This theme is simple and very skinnable, and i tryed to simplify a lot the config file
It looks good to me. I think the color options should be named something other than ff0000, ff00ff. I'd also suggest an additional, more minimal version with smaller titlebars and a shorter taskbar. It's nice to be able to switch sizes when going from the tiny screen to a big external monitor. I'd love to see what this looks like with a bright color. I don't think we need two pink themes, but a Purple theme might be cool (bonus points if it looks good with the Faraway gtk theme). We also don't have any IceWM themes in warm colors - though that can be difficult to pull off.

jemimah

#2425 Post by jemimah »

Check out the new Puppeee t-shirts that Tubeguy put up on Zazzle!

http://www.zazzle.com/tubeguy/
Attachments
t3.jpg
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
t2.jpg
(5.67 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
t1.jpg
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 813 times

sandungas

#2426 Post by sandungas »

lol @ the T-Shirts, are cool
jemimah wrote:I think the color options should be named something other than ff0000, ff00ff
These "alternative" coloured.theme ´s can be done easily
1 - open default.theme with geany
2 - use the "replace" function to replace this chain of text ---> ffffff with your favourite colour (i suggest to use gimp to select colours in RGB format)
3 - save the file with the same name than the colour you used (RGB.theme)

The naming i used is a way to organize all the alternative .themes that can be done this way, i added these 6 as a suggestion for the user to take a look at the default.theme file and create his owns :)

jemimah wrote:I'd also suggest an additional, more minimal version with smaller titlebars and a shorter taskbar. It's nice to be able to switch sizes when going from the tiny screen to a big external monitor.
The interface is intended for little screens, and there are some size limitations in the theme that maybe are not obvious, is long to explain, and with my bad english even more, but i will try it for somebody that is interested in re-skin the theme

Taskbar height
Monitor apps icons (battery, net, temperature, etc...) are 24x24 pixel size
This icons dont support real transparency (just a plain background)
My idea from the beggining was to add a degrade at the top & bottom of this icons
So... taskbar height is = 24 (icon) + 6 (degrade on top) + 6 (degrade on bottom) = 36

There is no value in iceWm config file to define the taskbar height (is defined by the height of the logo image)
IceWm adds by default 2 pixels on top of the logo + 3 on bottom
So... taskbar logo must be 31 pixels height (31 + 2 + 3 = taskbar height)
And taskbar logo needs some transparent pixels to preserve the degrade behind it (icewm.xpm is overlayed over taskbargb.xpm... and taskbarbg has the degrade)

*IceWM dont support degrees of transparency (a pixel is transparent or not)

Windows Titlebar height
There is a value in the config file to define this, i set it to 25 pixels because:
Im using 13 pixels Sans font in all the theme (taskbar buttons, titlebar & menu)
For the titlebar image im using the same degrades of 6 pixels of the taskbar, in fact... the TitlebarAT.xpm image is generated using taskbar.bg.xpm as a base (it must be resized, but keeping this 6 pixels at the top & bottom)
So... 13 (text) + 6 (degrade on top) + 6 (degrade on bottom) = 25

Windows buttons are the last images that must be created, needs the same background than titlebar, and the height must be the same (in fact... the height must be the double because button images contains 2 different states of the button)

I did 2 gimp templates (of taskbar & windows buttons) to remember all the image sizes & to generate all the buttons easily
For a new taskbar i just need to create 2 or 3 images, and for windows titlebar i need another 1 or 2 images, the boring part is generate all the windows buttons, but is not difficult

Is easy to reskin it, but for size changes i must make a new theme from scratch
jemimah wrote:I'd love to see what this looks like with a bright color. I don't think we need two pink themes, but a Purple theme might be cool (bonus points if it looks good with the Faraway gtk theme). We also don't have any IceWM themes in warm colors - though that can be difficult to pull off.
Warm colours looks fine, there is no problem with them, my only suggestion is to avoid lighter & darkness (to mantain the degrade because this is what looks a bit more "real" like a 3D button)

I have done this colour test with warm purples, are just a proof with the same size of the taskbar in my theme (36 pixels height), say me wich one aproaches most of what you want... or say me a colour in RGB format
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

You can crop one of this images to 1x36 pixels size and replace taskbarbg.xpm in my theme with it for a preview in a theme working... it will be visible in most part of the taskbar
Last edited by sandungas on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

simon1482

new personal save file, reinstall firefox questions

#2427 Post by simon1482 »

(sorry to interrupt your advanced discussion with my newbie questions!)

How do I create a new Personal Storage file? While playing around, I increased it to 1GB (on my 4GB 701), now I realise I only need 512Mb so would like to start afresh with a smaller file.

Also, Firefox has become bloated with all my extensions etc (I start firefox with an empty tab, but it freezes for 10 sec after I enter the first URL before loading the page, doesn't happen each time I open another tab though). How do I uninstall firefox so that I can do a fresh install? (eg do I need to delete the .mozilla directory etc?)

Thanks,
Simon

sandungas

Re: new personal save file, reinstall firefox questions

#2428 Post by sandungas »

simon1482 wrote:(sorry to interrupt your advanced discussion with my newbie questions!)

How do I create a new Personal Storage file? While playing around, I increased it to 1GB (on my 4GB 701), now I realise I only need 512Mb so would like to start afresh with a smaller file.

Also, Firefox has become bloated with all my extensions etc (I start firefox with an empty tab, but it freezes for 10 sec after I enter the first URL before loading the page, doesn't happen each time I open another tab though). How do I uninstall firefox so that I can do a fresh install? (eg do I need to delete the .mozilla directory etc?)

Thanks,
Simon
Im another newbie with puppy, but you have 2 or 3 options when booting from live media to repair and clean the savefile

Inside puppee there are some apps to edit .sfs filesystems and to resize the savefile (inside "filesystem" apps in the menu)

Make a copy of your savefile before trying any of this

mfalls

puppeee tshirts

#2429 Post by mfalls »

Be cool if tshirt was available with your pink shades pooch; anything an end user like me can test rc8 on 701SD or 1000H?

zicozico

RC8 and you2pup

#2430 Post by zicozico »

RC8 seems to be working fantastic so far.
Panning is excellent!

Only thing wrong I found is You2pup not working anymore which is a bit sad as I use it a lot :-(
I tried older versions but they also fail, which makes me think it is somewhere in the preconditions rather than the script itself. Scipt complains about an argument too many on line 26 (or 28 depending on the version).

Regards,
Zicozico

jemimah

#2431 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote: I have done this colour test with warm purples, are just a proof with the same size of the taskbar in my theme (36 pixels height), say me wich one aproaches most of what you want... or say me a colour in RGB format
How about #63527A?

jemimah

#2432 Post by jemimah »

simon1482 wrote:(sorry to interrupt your advanced discussion with my newbie questions!)

Thanks,
Simon
No need to apologize. This thread is pretty much a free for all.
  • First thing to do is rename your existing save file to something like oldsavefile.2fs.save. Then reboot and reboot again to create a new save file.

Now reboot again and choose not to load any save file from the menu.

Find your old save and rename it to oldsavefile.2fs. Click on the old save file to open it. Then click on your new save file and open it too.

Now all you need to do is select all the files in your old save file and copy them to the new save file.

At this point you can go into the new save file and delete the /root/.mozilla directory. If you installed Firefox using the SFS that should be enough to reset it to the original settings.

Rename your old save file back to oldsavefile.2fs.save, and reboot. It should come up with your new save file.

jemimah

Re: puppeee tshirts

#2433 Post by jemimah »

mfalls wrote:Be cool if tshirt was available with your pink shades pooch; anything an end user like me can test rc8 on 701SD or 1000H?
Unfortunately I don't own the pink goggles pooch - just grabbed it from google images. There might be copyright infringement issues if I do much more with it than use it as my avatar.

At this point, I just need to know that all the menu items work, and if you find any bugs.

jemimah

Re: RC8 and you2pup

#2434 Post by jemimah »

zicozico wrote:RC8 seems to be working fantastic so far.
Panning is excellent!

Only thing wrong I found is You2pup not working anymore which is a bit sad as I use it a lot :-(
I tried older versions but they also fail, which makes me think it is somewhere in the preconditions rather than the script itself. Scipt complains about an argument too many on line 26 (or 28 depending on the version).

Regards,
Zicozico
Apparently YouTube keeps changing things on their end. You2pup has been updated several times in the past few months but it keeps breaking. I'm going to remove it for 1.0 and hopefully someone will post a fixed version in the You2Pup thread.

nooby

#2435 Post by nooby »

It is possible in both Quirky and Lupu to save youtube files manually using /root/tmp/

Play a file on youtube.
Wait until the loading has been done but the playing still has no reach end.
One can set it on Pause while the rest of it loads.

Then go to the directory where you have music and let that dir be open in Rox.
Then start another rox and go to /root/tmp/ and look out for the Flashxxx file

Move that one to your music dir and rename it to the artist and song title.

Plays usual one can name it .mp4 if on like but it plays without ending too.

Good to know while one wait for devs to make graphic such dowloads.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sandungas

#2436 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:At this point, I just need to know that all the menu items work, and if you find any bugs.
gimp2.6.8.sfs sets 2 duplicated icons in the "graphic" sub-menu

Btw, gimp2.6.8.sfs works fast with low cpu comsumption even with several windows opened, and 6 mb is very light
Works great, and was very usefull to me when doing the theme (0 errors in several days testing)

-------------------

"IceWm configuration" app generates a strange error that i cant understand (i supose that changes something in the "global" iceWM config file)
To replicate the fail:
1- open MENU/DESKTOP/ICEWM CONFIGURATION
2- close icewm configuration (just open & close, there is no need to change settings)
3- right click on the mouse over any of the taskbar monitor apps (battery, temperature, etc...)

This makes the taskbar icons to lost their background settings, and the fail happens in all the themes, even after rebooting the fail is permanent (and i have not found a way to fix it)

------------------------

"Lock" app (icon in the desktop) becomes inactive after this:
1- click the "lock" icon in the desktop
2- close the window

------------------------

Xcompmgr desktop effects is very cpu/gpu intensive, the windows effects are veeeeeeery slow
I think this app is unusable in a eeepc, and dont match with the idea of puppeee (fast & light)

sandungas

#2437 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:
sandungas wrote: I have done this colour test with warm purples, are just a proof with the same size of the taskbar in my theme (36 pixels height), say me wich one aproaches most of what you want... or say me a colour in RGB format
How about #63527A?

Done, you have the files in a private message, feel free to change default.theme configuration to your likeness and make your alternative.theme ´s colour variations with geany

jemimah

#2438 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:
"IceWm configuration" app generates a strange error that i cant understand (i supose that changes something in the "global" iceWM config file)
To replicate the fail:
1- open MENU/DESKTOP/ICEWM CONFIGURATION
2- close icewm configuration (just open & close, there is no need to change settings)
3- right click on the mouse over any of the taskbar monitor apps (battery, temperature, etc...)

This makes the taskbar icons to lost their background settings, and the fail happens in all the themes, even after rebooting the fail is permanent (and i have not found a way to fix it)

------------------------
Hmm, I can't reproduce it. Anyone else have this issue?
sandungas wrote:
"Lock" app (icon in the desktop) becomes inactive after this:
1- click the "lock" icon in the desktop
2- close the window

------------------------
Ok. To fix, delete the file, .xlockrc. I will see if I can fix that.
sandungas wrote:
Xcompmgr desktop effects is very cpu/gpu intensive, the windows effects are veeeeeeery slow
I think this app is unusable in a eeepc, and dont match with the idea of puppeee (fast & light)
What model EeePC do you have? The effects seem much smoother on Celeron than Atom in my testing, but never totally unusable. What kind of framerate do you get in glxgears?

jemimah

#2439 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:
Done, you have the files in a private message, feel free to change default.theme configuration to your likeness and make your alternative.theme ´s colour variations with geany
This looks very cool. Thanks a bunch.

simon1482

#2440 Post by simon1482 »

sandungas wrote: Inside puppee there are some apps to edit .sfs filesystems and to resize the savefile (inside "filesystem" apps in the menu)

Make a copy of your savefile before trying any of this
Thanks, but the Resize tool only works to make it bigger, how do I start from scratch with a new smaller Personal Storage file? (I am running puppee off my SSD)

I don't mind if I lose all my settings etc, I found it quite quick and easy to get puppeee tweaked to suit my taste.

Can anyone help with my firefox question below, please?
simon1482 wrote:Also, Firefox has become bloated with all my extensions etc (I start firefox with an empty tab, but it freezes for 10 sec after I enter the first URL before loading the page, doesn't happen each time I open another tab though). How do I uninstall firefox so that I can do a fresh install? (eg do I need to delete the .mozilla directory etc?)