DSL apps don't work in PUPPY

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dougtheslug

DSL apps don't work in PUPPY

#1 Post by dougtheslug »

I read somewhere in the forum that DSL extentions are Tar and they could be converted to pupps I tried untaring one (Gcompris) and it umpacked but there must be an extra step to make the executables work because I cant seem to make it work when I klick on it
Does some one have any ideas?
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

dsl's are tar files, and you can unzip them by using tar

to get the files to work, you have to figure out where to put them, and what configuration files need to be changed and how, and what extra files you need to get (for example, library files that it needs that dsl has but Puppy does not have) ... stuff like that

Puppy is not DSL, or RedHat or Mandriva or Ubantu or Knoppix or Vector or Slack ... packages that are specially designed for one distro may not work in another distro without modifications

my mplayer dotpup is a modified dsl file ... my dotpup downloads the dsl file from ibiblio (mplayer is too big to fit in a 1 meg package, and other rpm packages i've tried require things like lame library files) ... Vector's mplayer package works in Puppy too (with modifications), and i think it's compiled so it will run on an i386 cpu

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

dougtheslug, what application did you want? Maybe I can make dotpup, but please don't tell me k3b.

dougtheslug

#4 Post by dougtheslug »

the application is called "Gcompris" is an educational package that teches kids math reading and writting skills
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

dougtheslug, it looks like it shudda worked, but it didn't. I couldn't load X - got a segmentation fault after installing the files.

I've had pretty good success using Debian precompiled binaries and the directory structures are generally more or less compatible with Puppy.

I'll try a Debian package. It's too big for a normal dotpup, but if it works, we could make a dotpup and get the .deb package with wget.

I'll try one of these next maybe a day or two:

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian/pool ... /gcompris/

dougtheslug

#6 Post by dougtheslug »

that will be great I am used to debian I like the fact that is a brease to install software , if it only were that easy to install the distro : but if DEBS work I can give it a try