Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#2401 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:Maybe is a noob question, but there is some way to fully disable the HDD when booting ? (some kind of modifyer in the bootloader)

In 900HA model the main heat generator is the HDD... and the most battery consumption comes from it too (because the mechanical motors inside it)

Disabling the HDD can be a great performance boost for this models (usefull if running puppeee from SD or USB)
To shutdown the hard drive, first unmount it (all partitions), then open the terminal and type

Code: Select all

hdparm -S 6 /dev/sda

dougeeebear

#2402 Post by dougeeebear »

sandungas wrote:The volume icon never seemed transparent for me in any of the beta releases i tested (almost all of them)... but jemimah has screen captures in her web with this same icon transparent
I dont understand where is the problem....
jemimah wrote:to fix retrovol, go into the retrovol configuration, and use the color chooser at the bottom to set the color.
It's simpler to just un-check "Enable Tray Icon Background Color" in retrovol configuration, then it should be good to go for all theme colors.
Actually, that should be the default setting.

jemimah

#2403 Post by jemimah »

dougeeebear wrote:
sandungas wrote:The volume icon never seemed transparent for me in any of the beta releases i tested (almost all of them)... but jemimah has screen captures in her web with this same icon transparent
I dont understand where is the problem....
jemimah wrote:to fix retrovol, go into the retrovol configuration, and use the color chooser at the bottom to set the color.
It's simpler to just un-check "Enable Tray Icon Background Color" in retrovol configuration, then it should be good to go for all theme colors.
Actually, that should be the default setting.
That only works if your gtk theme matches your icewm theme. It also works fine in ROX-panel.

C Babbage

#2404 Post by C Babbage »

The 1018p booted 4.3 rc 7 from USB flash drive

X, sound, wifi worked out of the box

this model does not have have bluetooth :-(

Thank you for your great effort!!!!

2lss

#2405 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:That should give you diagnostic info. Not sure otherwise. My mouse hasn't given me a lot of trouble, when it does, usually deleting it and re-pairing it works.
Turns out my $ .99 mini bluetooth adapters are junk. 2 don't work at all, 2 work randomly, and 1 works without issue. Oh well you get what you pay for. :lol:

jemimah

#2406 Post by jemimah »

C Babbage wrote:The 1018p booted 4.3 rc 7 from USB flash drive

X, sound, wifi worked out of the box

this model does not have have bluetooth :-(

Thank you for your great effort!!!!
That's good. I was getting worried for a while there that every new model was going to have different hardware.

sandungas

#2407 Post by sandungas »

I have fixed the battery pwidget, the problem is in the file:
/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/configs/Battery

The code looks for battery info in 2 paths:
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0

this 2 imputs are the culpits of the duplicated info
What i did was to remove all references to 1 of them

Btw... i realized that inside this config file... there are imputs for BAT0, BAT1 & BAT2

This means that this code can track the status of 3 different batterys ?

P.D.
I have no idea of coding, i just found this while looking for duplicated imputs in the code using a bit of trial-error
Maybe there are better ways to fix it but this seems to work

aarf

#2408 Post by aarf »

sandungas wrote:I have fixed the battery pwidget, the problem is in the file:
/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/configs/Battery

The code looks for battery info in 2 paths:
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0

this 2 imputs are the culpits of the duplicated info
What i did was to remove all references to 1 of them

Btw... i realized that inside this config file... there are imputs for BAT0, BAT1 & BAT2

This means that this code can track the status of 3 different batterys ?

P.D.
I have no idea of coding, i just found this while looking for duplicated imputs in the code using a bit of trial-error
Maybe there are better ways to fix it but this seems to work
talk to micko and zigbert about pwidget at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601 they are the ones who need to know. they probably dont come to this thread.

jemimah

#2409 Post by jemimah »

So apparently shoutcast is broken in StreamTuner again. Should I pull Streamtuner out of Puppeee? Xiph still works I think.

There's a Streamtuner2, but it needs Python.

jemimah

#2410 Post by jemimah »

I've decided to post RC8 for testing while I setup some Puppeee mirrors and test the ISO. Please let me know if I've broken anything since RC7. :)

http://puppeee.com/web/blog/puppeee-rc8-posted

rjbrewer

#2411 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:So apparently shoutcast is broken in StreamTuner again. Should I pull Streamtuner out of Puppeee? Xiph still works I think.

There's a Streamtuner2, but it needs Python.
Shoutcast still working in VLC.

You2Pup is always a constant "working-not working" situation.
Presently in not working mode again.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

timremy

rc8

#2412 Post by timremy »

hello jemimah

nice, very nice.

wallpapers are great.

timremy

sandungas

#2413 Post by sandungas »

First impressions on rc8...

The improved eee-control with screen tools is even better than it was, this program is one of the better things in puppeee
Im not very used to scaling and panning functions, so i get some not-desired results
But the rest of screen tools seems to work perfect

The only problem i have is when i try to enable both screens at the same time
-netbook LCD @ 1024x600 (16:9)
-external monitor @ 1024x768 (4:3)
This combination left an area not visible in the netbook LCD (taskbar area)

This problem is normal when mixing 16:9 and 4:3 screens, right ?

------------------------------------
Suggestions about the taskbar

-The removed pwireless icon was prettyer than the actual network icon
Joining this 2 icons in 1 is a nice idea but i prefer pwireless one

-The "personal storage" icon is something that i never take care of it
Maybe this one can be removed too

-Rover SpeedLaunch icon is not needed, is good to see it there to remember that we have this app, but i guess that everybody launches rover with the keyboard shorcuts (alt+space)
So... this is another one that can be removed

-----------------------------------
Im finished a dark icewm theme, it will be ready in few days (maybe today or tomorrow)
Is my first icewm theme, but i spent lot of hours with it, is fully done from scratch for puppeee

jemimah

#2414 Post by jemimah »

I think it's pretty normal for weird things to happen when you try to mirror monitors of different sizes. Zarfy gives you a few more options than LxRandr, but I linked to LxRandr in Eee-control because it's simpler and Zarfy has issues if you're running Xvesa.

The icons for network_tray can be found in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/network* . You can replace them with whatever icons you want. If you send me nicer ones I'll use them. The original Pwireless2 icons won't work because there was formerly no concept of sending and receiving.

You can remove tray applets you don't like using the new Startup Item Editor (thanks to afishe2000). The freememory applet is nice though because it tells you if you're filling up your save file before it's too late.

It's harder to change the IceWM toolbar items. The only way is to edit /usr/share/icewm/toolbar. Does anyone have an interest in writing an IceWM toolbar editor?

Let me know when your theme is ready and I'll check it out.

TomRhymer

RC8 on Acer Aspire One D-150

#2415 Post by TomRhymer »

Looks good, everything runs so far. According to powertop, usage has gone down a touch.

One problem, the old "boot error after making a save file" bug is back.

jemimah

#2416 Post by jemimah »

Doh, the old bootinst.bat is back for some reason. I have too many Puppeee flashdrives!

You can still get the fixed version:http://puppeee.com/files/misc/bootinst.bat

sandungas

#2417 Post by sandungas »

About the bootinst.bat installer...

Im having this error in all the beta releases

Is windows XP SP3 with a card reader (drive letters H I J)... the pendrive is plugged in drive K (K is another slot of this same card reader)
The error comes from this card reader (1 error for each empty card slot H I J... 3 errors in total)

This errors happens when bootinst.bat is trying to find drives, i see this 3 errors, and after this, the installer continues without problem and the installation works

Is not a big problem because the installer works... but maybe this error message can be removed

----------------------------------
About the icewm theme im doing...
yesterday i found some tweaks in icewm theme config that let me remove some lines from the taskbar... this gives me some more pixels to "play"... and this means that i need to make new images for all the taskbar
So i will spent a bit more time with it

The theme is finished but im trying to "polish" it a bit more
Its a work of adjusting images "pixel by pixel" ...boring, but looks nice :)

I will send you the files privately when finished jemimah, i want to hear your suggestions

jemimah

#2418 Post by jemimah »

I am aware of the error, but I don't think it can be fixed, short of figuring out a different way to discover the Usb drive in Windows. I know very little about scripting in Windows, and just borrowed that script from Slax, so if anyone else has an ideas how to fix it, I'm all ears. I will add a note about it on the Puppeee install page though.

I discovered a major problem with Chrome. At least the past two RCs have a problem where Chrome can't resolve local addresses unless you have a working internet connection. This breaks CUPS and DidiWiki. I need to figure out how far to roll back or if I should go forward to a Beta version. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=42058

sandungas

#2419 Post by sandungas »

Btw, for the taskbar im using the logo i did time ago
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 638#420638
I was not very happy with this image (i added texture, degrade, shine, etc... to "hide" the pixelation of the edges)

So i had to rework this image, and this is the finall template at full size
I think is the best i can do to remove pixelation, for more definition must be converted to a vectorial image (but i dont know anything about vector images)
**This image is just a preview over black background**

Download the attached gimp file with layer transparency
Feel free to use it for whatever thing, wallpapers, themes, etc...
Attachments
PuppEee logo 2 copia 3.zip
PuppEeee logo template (gimp)
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

jemimah

#2420 Post by jemimah »

Looks good to me. Here's a png with transparency.

I've found a work-around to the Chrome problem. So I won't need to downgrade or use a Beta version.