Quirky 1.2 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
DaveS

#161 Post by DaveS »

ttuuxxx wrote:
DaveS wrote:How can we get Abiword to display /usr/share/examples/text/testdoc.doc properly?
you need to update abiword, wv was broken and Barry used a early version that wasn't broken in his latest, below you'll need both pets installed.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 6-s131.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-s131.pet
I think that was all I changed for abiword in the Quirky retro firefox version I was somewhat supporting.
ttuuxxx
Thanks Ttuuxxx. Done. Works. Great!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

linuxcbon

#162 Post by linuxcbon »

quirky 1.2.0 live cd
- there is no adblock in seamonkey
- wireless connection can be lost.
- nvidia.ko is huge
- wallpaper doesn't work
- unmounting icons dont refresh (reproducible ?)
- when installing to hard drive, /boot/grub folder is empty
- in dmesg traytemp segfault error 4 in libc-2.10.1.so

scsijon

quirky 120 - problems a-c

#163 Post by scsijon »

wierd:
A
install from cd, frugal, empty parn

1st time it said it had installed, but only had the save and copied qrky120.sfs in the directory when rebooted, thankfully the cd found the savefile and started.

2nd time told to install it did

B
installed the firefox pet as I prefer firefox, has missing lib's (libsqlite3.so and libxul.so)? But it does run so ...

shutdown for a while (tummy called for food)

C
on restart it refused to autofind my video card and monitor, took three goes with a shutdown between to get it up again (intel driver / hp p1120 monitor)

more when I get more testing of apps done

scsijon

nooby

#164 Post by nooby »

I tested QuirkyNOP 1.2 version but gxine fails to run mp4 files from youtube but on Quirky 1.0 and 1.2 they play just fine.

can one move quirky 1.0 gxine out to mnt/home and from there into QuirkyNOP-1.2 so I get a fully functional gxine there?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

linuxcbon

#165 Post by linuxcbon »

After burning a CDRW : dmesg shows lots of "Buffer I/O error" and md5sum doesn't work. I found out why : the CD was burned in TAO mode so the last blocks are not written.
I found a solution :
# cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom -speed=4 -dao -data qrky-112.iso
So the produced CD is burned in DAO mode at lowest speed and md5sum is possible.
This was not a bug.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#166 Post by nooby »

Tested on Acer aspire one D250. failed to boot 5 time in a row but booted the 6th try. It seems to go into kernel panic or some loop. The only way to get out of the lock is to do power button reboot.

Give no error message. But it locks after five dots in loading drivers.

So could be something there that goes wrong. Maybe the hardware are too slow and or is the HDD maybe is difficult to read?
title quirky
root (hd0,2)
kernel /quirky/vmlinuz root=UUID=C030C5AD30C5AAAC subdir=quirky
initrd /quirky/initrd.gz
It did not help to do pfix=fsck

What else could I test?

Me and computers are not made for each other.

This time the new Acer D250 failed to boot 7 or more times in a row and when it did boot then it had no LAN card at all. I tested to boot Quirky, Puppeee. Jolocloud, Win7STarter-

None of them could find the LAN card. Where nothing there.

Then I remembered that if one take out battery and power plug and let it lose the memory then it can maybe work.

Which it did. Surprise!

Should I have bought an ASUS instead?

linuxcbon

#167 Post by linuxcbon »

When rebooting, it shows "acpid: exiting" and nothing. Needed to press enter to continue.

fyujj

#168 Post by fyujj »

As usual, another great Puppy (actually in my experience, getting better all the time).
Built-in NVIDIA driver is great for a portable system and it makes difference.

Besides fixing rp-pppoe, as I posted in other places before and also messaged Barry, I would point out that the encryption options at the pup_save dialog don't show in the screen. The dialog is too large, at least in my 17" CRT and the options don't appear in the screen.
I know from other Puppies that the options are 'no encryption', 'normal encryption' and 'heavy encryption', defaulting to the first but a new user wouldn't.

Regards.

gjuhasz

#169 Post by gjuhasz »

nooby wrote:Tested on Acer aspire one D250. failed to boot 5 time in a row but booted the 6th try.
(...)
Should I have bought an ASUS instead?
nooby, if you are sure that the iso file is OK, then try to add

acpi=off nosmp

to the kernel boot parameters.

If still fails on D250, boot up from Wary.

My experience is that machines can boot either Quirky or Wary (at least the ones I can reach).
For example, my Asus boots only Quirky. My Toshiba Tecra fails booting Quirky but runs Wary fine.

B.K. Johnson

Shutdown

#170 Post by B.K. Johnson »

An elegant feature in Ubuntu since 6.10 and also in dpup-484b4 is that during shutdown, the LiveCD is ejected and the user is prompted to remove the CD then to press "Enter" and the drive closes automatically. He can remove the CD or let it remain. I'd like to see that feature in all pups.

It is true that in a frugal install we can remove the CD but if I do not use that drive during the session and forget to remove the CD before shutdown then I have to resort to the paperclip solution (unknown to many newbies) after power-off.

Please consider implementing this.

B.K. Johnson

MinHundHettePerro

Re: Shutdown

#171 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

B.K. Johnson wrote:An elegant feature in Ubuntu since 6.10 and also in dpup-484b4 is that during shutdown, the LiveCD is ejected and the user is prompted to remove the CD then to press "Enter" and the drive closes automatically. He can remove the CD or let it remain. I'd like to see that feature in all pups.

It is true that in a frugal install we can remove the CD but if I do not use that drive during the session and forget to remove the CD before shutdown then I have to resort to the paperclip solution (unknown to many newbies) after power-off.

Please consider implementing this.

B.K. Johnson
Hello :)!

In dpup that was the most annoying "feature" in my opinion (given that I ran on a computer with two optical drives, and always from manually installed frugals - never from CD). But, as a lame translation of one of our national proverbs goes; taste is like one's bottom - divided. Roughly meaning - each to his own.

So, I found out how to disable this feature; just a matter of commenting out the last lines of /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

Code: Select all

# eject CDs
## merge
#for ONEDRV in $MOUNTEDCDS; do
	#echo "$DETECTEDCDS "  | grep -q "$ONDRV[ ]" || \
	#DETECTEDCDS="$DETECTEDCDS $ONEDRV"
#done
## /etc/mtab as a dummy
#rm -f /etc/mtab
#touch /etc/mtab
## eject all
#if [ "$DETECTEDCDS" ]; then
  #echo -n "Ejecting CD's..." >/dev/console
  #for ONEDRV in $DETECTEDCDS; do
	#if eject /dev/$ONEDRV ;then
		#echo -n "Remove the medium, then press [Enter]: " >/dev/console
		#read REP
		#eject -t /dev/$ONEDRV
	#fi
  #done
#fi
In your case, you would want to include this code at the very end of your quirky120's /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown (just before the #the end#-line):

# eject CDs
# merge
for ONEDRV in $MOUNTEDCDS; do
	echo "$DETECTEDCDS "  | grep -q "$ONDRV[ ]" || \
	DETECTEDCDS="$DETECTEDCDS $ONEDRV"
done
# /etc/mtab as a dummy
rm -f /etc/mtab
touch /etc/mtab
# eject all
if [ "$DETECTEDCDS" ]; then
  echo -n "Ejecting CD's..." >/dev/console
  for ONEDRV in $DETECTEDCDS; do
	if eject /dev/$ONEDRV ;then
		echo -n "Remove the medium, then press [Enter]: " >/dev/console
		read REP
		eject -t /dev/$ONEDRV
	fi
  done
fi
and then to introduce these variables, at line 473 in quirky's /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, insert (from dpup484b)

# 08jul09 list up CDs
OPTICALS=""
MOUNTEDCDS=""
DETECTEDCDS=""
if which probedisk2 > /dev/null; then
  OPTICALS=$(probedisk2 |grep '|optical'|cut -d'|' -f1| cut -d'/' -f3)
elif which probedisk > /dev/null; then
  OPTICALS=$(probedisk |grep '|cd'|cut -d'|' -f1| cut -d'/' -f3)
fi 
OPTICALS=$(echo $OPTICALS | tr ' ' '|')
if [ "$OPTICALS" ];then
   MOUNTEDCDS=$(mount | grep "^/dev/($OPTICALS) " | cut -d' ' -f1| cut -d'/' -f3)
   DETECTEDCDS=$(ls -1 -d /root/.pup_event/drive_* | grep -E "_($OPTICALS)$" | sed -e 's,^.*_,,')
fi
My guess is that that this is probably enough to achieve the desired feature - haven't tried it out, though. Just checked the scripts again, since I knew how to turn this feature off.

hth :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

panzerpuppy

#172 Post by panzerpuppy »

Has anyone managed to successfully* install the ATI Catalyst (fglrx) driver in Quirky?

*successfully = with working 2D acceleration / DRI / OpenGL support
Turbopup Tech Support

Billtoo

Quirky 1.2 feedback

#173 Post by Billtoo »

panzerpuppy wrote:Has anyone managed to successfully* install the ATI Catalyst (fglrx) driver in Quirky?

*successfully = with working 2D acceleration / DRI / OpenGL support

Fatdog64 has an ati-catalyst-10.5.pet, I installed that in fatdog64 and my ATI Mobility Radeon hd 5470 works great with it. Nexuiz plays well even.

B.K. Johnson

Shutdown

#174 Post by B.K. Johnson »

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#175 Post by panzerpuppy »

Billtoo wrote:Fatdog64 has an ati-catalyst-10.5.pet, I installed that in fatdog64 and my ATI Mobility Radeon hd 5470 works great with it. Nexuiz plays well even.
Have you tried the same thing in Quirky? FatDog64 is not another Quirky (there's a huge difference).

Does the official installer from AMD work in FatDog64? You'll have to try *that* one.

I've tried (AMD's installer of) Catalyst 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 in Quirky and neither of them would install correctly. See the 'drivers' subforum in 'PETs and Stuff' for more info about this problem:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55284

Does the ATI Catalyst 10.5 .PET from FatDog64 work in Quirky? FatDog is a 64-bit puplet, Quirky is 32-bit (x86). The driver kernel module in that package is compiled for k2.6.34. Quirky uses a slightly older kernel (k2.6.33.2)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Turbopup Tech Support

Billtoo

Quirky 1.2 feedback

#176 Post by Billtoo »

[quote=]

Have you tried the same thing in Quirky? FatDog64 is not another Quirky (there's a huge difference.

Does the ATI Catalyst 10.5 .PET from FatDog64 work in Quirky? FatDog is a 64-bit (AMD64) Puplet, Quirky is 32-bit (x86).[/quote]

I thought you were looking for a puppy version to run on your newer hardware.
I realize that quirky and fatdog are very different, I use them both.

Sorry I mentioned it.

panzerpuppy

#177 Post by panzerpuppy »

What I need is a lightweight, but cutting-edge 32-bit puppy that works on 32-bit CPUs and has SMP (multithreading) support.

Quirky is the only choice at the moment.
The only problem is ATI Catalyst doesn't install on it :(

Why 32-bit CPU support? It's for those PCs with a fairly old Pentium 4 (HT) or AthlonXP CPU, but paired with a modern ATI AGP card (like the Radeon HD 4670).

With these modern AGP cards, your only option is to use Catalyst :(
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
Turbopup Tech Support

panzerpuppy

#178 Post by panzerpuppy »

double post (please delete)
Turbopup Tech Support

B.K. Johnson

Shutdown

#179 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi MinHundHettePerro
Thanks for the tip. You're correct ''to each his own". When I boot from a flash drive I don't want the prompt to remove the CD but when booting from the CD, I do. I also understand why you would not want it though I have 2 Cdrives also.

Will implement your code and get back toyou. Thanks again.

B.K.Johnson

nooby

#180 Post by nooby »

In the lupu thread they talk much about using glxgears using the Console.

In Quirky 1.2 there seems to exists no glxgears.

I have Intel 945 on my Acer so maybe the glx thing is not needed?

I use Omellette to see if the graphics drivers works ok but that one have no numbers that can be compared to glxgears does it?