Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 01:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
pppoe with lupu 5.0.1 (also puppy 4.2.3)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
tehtrb

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 08:25    Post subject:  pppoe with lupu 5.0.1 (also puppy 4.2.3)
Subject description: no connection

hi

i'm using an older pc with onboard lan & crunchbang linux (modified ubuntu). internet connection is pppoe through an external modem.

ive been wanting to switch to puppy for a while now, for i have to save system resources, crunchbang crashes everytime i try to use java, which i need to play poker :S

however, the roaring penguin script does not seem to work. the connection always times out, whether i let the server give me dns ip's or i manually enter them. i've d/lled pup 5.0.1 now with hopes that that might be fixed, but it apparently isn't. i've searched through the forums, but couldn't get much sense out of what i've read, please forgive a newbie's inexperience.

what raises a question mark is that pppoe-start tries to connect to ppp1 while the only thing i can find is ppp0. ifconfig gives me modem ip's and everything, the connection just keeps timing out and i can't get in.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
fzimmer

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 10:13    Post subject:  

I had the same problem and found out there was simply a typo in my user name/password. You get no message from the roaring penguin, Just a timeout.

Or set DEBUG=1 in the /usr/sbin/pppoe-start script and look at the log.
fyujj

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul 2010, 08:13    Post subject:  

I don't like to use this expression because I'm really not depreciating other people's work, but rp-pppoe is crap. Just in the sense that it won't do what it's supposed to do unless one knows its idiosyncrasies, that is, it will put off 80-90% of the users.
The way it works for me is: just hit enter in all questions it asks (save, of course, for the username, password and the firewall type selection, in which case I choose #1 -standalone).
If you do it wrong the first time it won't work anymore and you'll have to reboot and do it right the first time you run it. Then it should stick with the connection properly.

Maybe there's a package size issue but rp-pppoe should be replaced by pppoeconf ASAP.

From http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30818&sid=ac104213698b826bb985319052273179

Quote:
...In April of 2008, before releasing Puppy 4.0, Barry put a warning in pppoe-setup which alerted users to the fact that choosing "server" to obtain the DNS addresses from their ISP server would probably not meet with success. If the user takes the advice to "just press the ENTER key", then when pppoe-connect is run it will not make the symlink, and all is well.

Unfortunately, there is also a suggestion to first try entering "server" to see if it will work, and run the setup script again if it doesn't. If the user does that, the symlink will be created when pppoe-connect is run, and any attempt by pppoe-setup to fix it will fail because of the "Too many levels of symbolic links" error. The link needs to be removed manually...
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: