Trying to build pidgin. Novice at compiling pets.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
noalternative

Trying to build pidgin. Novice at compiling pets.

#1 Post by noalternative »

Ok, I am trying to install pidgin from sources but had to install gtkspell before I could do that, and had to install enchant before I could install gtkspell. Unfortunately even after installing enchant configure for gtkspell is still not finding it. What should I do? I checked the help files and did not find and obvious solution.

Here is my console output.

# ./configure --with-included-gettext
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-included-gettext
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for GTKSPELL... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 enchant >= 0.4.0 ) were not met:

No package 'enchant' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTKSPELL_CFLAGS
and GTKSPELL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

#
any ideas about what to do next. I am following these instructions in pet packaging.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35507

I am doing this because the updated versions of pidgin on this board don't work with 4.2.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

You only need to build a .pet if you're interested in distributing it as a package to others. (Or, of course, if you do want to have it be visible to the Package Manager and uninstallable.) If you're only interested in compiling it for yourself, just compile from source. :)

The information here might help: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Install ... #Compiling (I couldn't say for sure, as I haven't personally tried to build it. And, not necessarily the procedures as-is, as they do mention using apt-get in a few places - but maybe there's still something in there that might help.)

Also, if you haven't downloaded the source recently, you might want to do that - Pidgin 2.7.2 was just released.
Last edited by Makoto on Sat 24 Jul 2010, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

noalternative.

Good you found and installed the missing libraries, but you need their respective header files too, that is the DEV files. Just search for whatever package name you installed with the DEV and it should turn something up

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

noalternative

#4 Post by noalternative »

Makoto wrote:You only need to build a .pet if you're interested in distributing it as a package to others. (Or, of course, if you do want to have it be visible to the Package Manager and uninstallable.) If you're only interested in compiling it for yourself, just compile from source. :)

The information here might help: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Install ... #Compiling (I couldn't say for sure, as I haven't personally tried to build it. And, not necessarily the procedures as-is, as they do mention using apt-get in a few places - but maybe there's still something in there that might help.)

Also, if you haven't downloaded the source recently, you might want to do that - Pidgin 2.7.2 was just released.
I am compiling it from the source. I am interested in sharing this pet with others who have 4.2.
Last edited by noalternative on Sat 24 Jul 2010, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

noalternative

#5 Post by noalternative »

01micko wrote:noalternative.

Good you found and installed the missing libraries, but you need their respective header files too, that is the DEV files. Just search for whatever package name you installed with the DEV and it should turn something up

Cheers
enchant is installed, and that is the program gtkspell wants but can't find.