Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 22:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 74 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 22:44    Post subject:  

tubeguy,

Sorry I didn't realize that your graphics had changed since 209. Of course something big had happened since then--we shifted to booting straight to the desktop. I have perhaps been remiss in my educational responsibility to explain this. When luci-209 booted "through" xorgwizard, then Barry's programming in xorgwizard was determining which drivers to use. When we now go straight to the desktop, it is Xorg that is determining the drivers. Sometimes Barry's script makes a better guess--particularly with older cards I am betting. However, when we boot straight to the desktop we *First* have the Xorg way, and then, if necessary we have the xorgwizard way. That is two chances to get it right and at the same time most people get a well-configured desktop right off the bat--and they like that--people have been very clear.

This has been something Xorg has been working toward since Xorg 7.3--since then Xorg has been able to auto config without an xorg.conf. We boot to a first run dialog that offers 2 buttons, OK and Make Some Changes. Those who choose to make changes can configure their Language and Locale, Keyboard Layout, and video driver and resolution by clicking two buttons.

The system does makes those changes immediately, reliably and persistently. If someone decides later that they would like to change their keyboard, and they use the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard--when they click to Change their Keyboard layout they are taken to the Video, Language and Keyboard Changer where it is explained that the keyboard and video driver must be set together. They are not taken to an error screen. If someone is determined to break the system they probably can. That seems like a long way to go though, when everything is right there on the opening screen in 3 simple clicks. If someone says, "the system doesn't work" that is wrong--and not very helpful either.

Last edited by playdayz on Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:34; edited 2 times in total
James C

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:07    Post subject:  

Finally got around to trying Lupu-503 on the quad..............

Live pfix=ram. Initial boot brought a usable display,sound and internet. Install the Nvidia 256.36 pet from Quickpet.........following the instructions does not work........exiting to a prompt,entering "nvidia-xconfig" then "xwin" brings a distorted display with no acceleration. However, exit to prompt, "xorgwizard", "choose","nvidia" ,"1360x768x24" and "xwin".......followed by a trip to the "Nvidia X Settings Wizard" to get the correct 1368x768x24 resolution works.

# graphix_test
For your nVidia card, nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) we think the best add on driver is nvidia-173.14.25 or nvidia-256.36. It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. They are available in Quickpet under Drivers
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
nVidia
GeForce
#

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 503

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
7378 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1475.600 FPS
10368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2073.600 FPS
10402 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.400 FPS
10406 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2081.200 FPS
10401 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.200 FPS
10403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.600 FPS
14382 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2876.400 FPS
14803 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2960.600 FPS
14600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2920.000 FPS
14809 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2961.800 FPS
14901 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2980.200 FPS
14897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2979.400 FPS
14859 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2971.800 FPS

-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.35
Direct Rendering : Yes
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:08    Post subject:  

I have noticed a tendency of Firefox in 503 to hang (freeze) Shocked
That was not there in the previous release (If Adope Flash messed up then only that tab was lost). Has anyone else experienced this? Has there been a change?
Ethernet is now persistent but I have to use setup wizard to set sound each time. ALSA config is not persistent.

Font changer for LCD worked well
Intern on hold - Puppy satellite considered priority (only in Lobsterian reality)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=436401#436401

Cool

Last edited by Lobster on Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:51; edited 2 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
SOLUTION:(EDIT)
Add next lines at the tail of /etc/X11/xorg.conf0(or xorg.conf0XORG73 ?) and let it be xorg.conf, which should be preset on CD. the first xorgwizard do nothing regarding xorg.conf at the first boot.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Then, all traditional puppy tools work from the first boot with this breif xorg.conf. The keyboard setting need not be combined with running xorgwizard anymore.

This makes sense.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 23:39    Post subject: The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Lupu-503
Subject description: EEEpc 701

I installed Lupu-503 to a 4gb SanDisk SD card using bootflash and I boot it
from the SD card on my eeepc 701.I installed the video driver,the devx,Chromium
browser,vlc,and after updating the puppy package manager I installed tunapie.

Vlc works great on this netbook and combined with tunapie I can watch internet
tv and it looks pretty good on the 7" screen.

I also have a full install of Puppeee RC7 on the 4gb internal hard drive so I
can boot into either distro so this netbook will actually get used more now.

Puppy is cool Smile
shinobar

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 00:25    Post subject: work around direct desktop  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
SOLUTION:(EDIT)
Add next lines at the tail of /etc/X11/xorg.conf0(or xorg.conf0XORG73 ?) and let it be xorg.conf, which should be preset on CD. the first xorgwizard do nothing regarding xorg.conf at the first boot.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Then, all traditional puppy tools work from the first boot with this breif xorg.conf. The keyboard setting need not be combined with running xorgwizard anymore.

This makes sense.

Thanks Playdayz for your understanding.
I made some test.
  1. expand lupu-503 in the working directory, and in the tree:
  2. copy WORKINGDIR/etx/X11/xorg.conf0 to xorg.conf and add the InputDevice entries at the tail.
  3. revert WORKINGDIR/usr/sbin/xorgwizard and input-wizard to that of the recent woof.
  4. modify WORKINGDIR/usr/bin/xwin. insert next code at line 295-
    Code:
       # 23jul10 shinobar: add the hardware profile if not exists
       if [ "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "" ]; then
        echo "#PuppyHardwareProfile=$HARDWAREPROFILE" >> /etc/X11 xorg.conf
        CURRENTPROFILE="$HARDWAREPROFILE"
       fi

EDIT: now i am testing next code for the line 295-
    Code:
    # 23jul10 shinobar: accept new hardware profile if old ones not exist
    [ "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "" ] && CURRENTPROFILE="$HARDWAREPROFILE"

5. delete WORKINGDIR/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so (<-- EDIT)
  6. dir2sfs WORKINGDIR
  7. rename the sfs as new 'lupu-503.sfs'.
  8. replace lupu-503.sfs in the frugal installed one.
  9. boot up without lupsave files.

Seems working well. But need more investigation on potential side effects.
EDIT: found that displaylink_drv.so must be ejected. If it is there, 'Xorg configure' fails, subsequently xorgwizard fails to make full xorg.conf.

Last edited by shinobar on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:25; edited 1 time in total
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 06:33    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
tubeguy,

Sorry I didn't realize that your graphics had changed since 209. Of course something big had happened since then--we shifted to booting straight to the desktop. I have perhaps been remiss in my educational responsibility to explain this. When luci-209 booted "through" xorgwizard, then Barry's programming in xorgwizard was determining which drivers to use. When we now go straight to the desktop, it is Xorg that is determining the drivers. Sometimes Barry's script makes a better guess--particularly with older cards I am betting. However, when we boot straight to the desktop we *First* have the Xorg way, and then, if necessary we have the xorgwizard way. That is two chances to get it right and at the same time most people get a well-configured desktop right off the bat--and they like that--people have been very clear.

This has been something Xorg has been working toward since Xorg 7.3--since then Xorg has been able to auto config without an xorg.conf. We boot to a first run dialog that offers 2 buttons, OK and Make Some Changes. Those who choose to make changes can configure their Language and Locale, Keyboard Layout, and video driver and resolution by clicking two buttons.

The system does makes those changes immediately, reliably and persistently. If someone decides later that they would like to change their keyboard, and they use the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard--when they click to Change their Keyboard layout they are taken to the Video, Language and Keyboard Changer where it is explained that the keyboard and video driver must be set together. They are not taken to an error screen. If someone is determined to break the system they probably can. That seems like a long way to go though, when everything is right there on the opening screen in 3 simple clicks. If someone says, "the system doesn't work" that is wrong--and not very helpful either.

I'm on board with the way it's set up. It should go straight to a desktop because it's better for most people, that's a strategy I can get behind. Puppy is a top 10 distro and it should be as simple as possible for the most people possible. It was a simple matter to get the resolution right, no complaints here, just wanted to throw my experience out there.

My first reaction was "ah $#!%, it's Debian all over again" but after I cooled off I got it right, after all, this is Puppy we're dealing with here. I've spent hours trying to get Debian, Ubuntu and Mint to work at 1024x768, and it is still an issue for quite a few people other than myself, AFAIK Puppy is still the only one that can get it right on my laptop and still run fast, do everything I want and do it all with less than 130 meg, which is pretty amazing.

Abnormalter

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 06:44    Post subject: Do it simply... :)  

shinobar: "...Add next lines at the tail of /etc/X11/xorg.conf0(or xorg.conf0XORG73 ?) and let it be xorg.conf, which should be preset on CD"

-- Yes, as much else, I would like to see is recorded and presented in the CD...
Because for a long time I have to use own package containing patches and add-ons immediately after the start / install Puppy (some of which I presented to the community of my small 2-3 packages, see about).

shinobar: "i found xwin should be modified to accomplish direct desktop at the first boot. i am investigating."
shinobar: "...expand lupu-503 in the working directory, and in the tree..."
"...If it is there, 'Xorg configure' fails, subsequently xorgwizard fails to make full xorg.conf..."

-- Use my code by typing in the first-run script and you'll be happy! Smile
shinobar

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 07:13    Post subject: Re: work around direct desktop  

modify WORKINGDIR/usr/bin/xwin. insert next code at line 295-
Code:
   # 23jul10 shinobar: add the hardware profile if not exists
   if [ "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "" ]; then
    echo "#PuppyHardwareProfile=$HARDWAREPROFILE" >> /etc/X11 xorg.conf
    CURRENTPROFILE="$HARDWAREPROFILE"
   fi

Another option:
Code:
# 23jul10 shinobar: accept new hardware profile if old ones not exist
[ "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "" ] && CURRENTPROFILE="$HARDWAREPROFILE"

Think this case:
  1. Frugal install Lupu on a USB pen drive.
  2. The first boot, directoly goes the desktop.
  3. Shutdown with creating lupsave file.
  4. Move to another PC and boot up with this USB pen drive.

With the former one, and the original lupu-503, does not directly go to the desktop, but runs xorgwizard on this another PC.

If we take the later option, directly goes to the desktop with proper configuration for this another PC.
Isn't it convinient if we use this puppy installed USB pen drive on multiple PCs?
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 07:38    Post subject:  

01micko, found some problem with the nvidia 256 PET from Quickpet: it asks you to run nvidia-xconfig, however:
1) some PETs don't require this
2) pkg-config is needed to run it, and pkg-config is part of the devx

So change the text, something like "run xorgwizard, select 'choose', type nvidia and select your desired display mode to utilize the driver and take full advantage of your computer's capabilities".

Another problem is CUPS. I couldn't enter the web interface, had to set up a loopback device which wasn't present, that's weird already. Then, I couldn't authenticate, so I opened /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and commented these lines:
Code:
#iguleder: remove root authentication
# Restrict access to configuration files...
#<Location /admin/conf>
#  AuthType None
#  Require user @SYSTEM
#  Order deny,allow
#</Location>

Now it works.

Last edited by Iguleder on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:02; edited 1 time in total
ICQ Number 
ICPUG

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 07:59    Post subject:  

Just to say that I have now tested 503 on my laptop with Intel 855 graphics.

I reran the tests I ran with 213 and everything worked OK. Live CD booted direct to desktop utilising Xorg autoconfig.

Frugal ran OK without the i915.modeset=1 bootcode. I retained the video=640x480 as it is my preference to have larger characters in terminal mode.

Changed keyboard and resolution and changed to intel driver. All OK except for the touchpad tapping and scroll. Use 'configure your touchpad' to set that correct.

All OK.
shinobar

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:13    Post subject: nvidia packages  

nvidia-xconfig fails at the first boot, where the xorg.conf is not completed.
we need to run xorgwizard and 'choose' nvidia, but 'probe' fails as Iguleder desclibes.

I found. After the first run, install nvidia-glx, type on the virtual terminal:
Code:
modprobe nvidia

And then, run xorgwizard. This time xorgwizard 'probe's nvidia.
Such a pinstall.sh performing 'depmod && modprobe nvidia' will help xorgwizard to probe nvidia drivers successfully.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:44    Post subject:  

shinobar

We have taken care of nVidia, please trust me on this Wink

We are fully aware of the failure of nvidia-xconfig and have adjusted all the 'official' nVidia driver DOT_pets accordingly. There is also a help file in Quickpet that will open in the user's browser, (coming soon) giving the user full instructions and the chance to translate if their browser has the capability.

In saying that, I wonder how Ubuntu get around that issue? Though, I'm sure they have more developer resources in their stock pile.

Cheers

Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:47    Post subject:  

nvidia-xconfig needs the devx, shinobar. That's the problem. I didn't try probing without nvidia loaded, because I chose it.

The best thing to do is a pinstall.sh that does modprobe nvidia and shows a message that asks the user to choose nvidia. Smile

EDIT: 01micko, is it possible to use sed and replace "nv" with "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Wink

ICQ Number 
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul 2010, 08:58    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
nvidia-xconfig needs the devx, shinobar. That's the problem. I didn't try probing without nvidia loaded, because I chose it.

The best thing to do is a pinstall.sh that does modprobe nvidia and shows a message that asks the user to choose nvidia. Smile

EDIT: 01micko, is it possible to use sed and replace "nv" with "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Wink

Of course if /etc/X11/xorg.conf was fully formed, or even rpl.. but it's not, so we instruct users to go through xorgwizard... not the most user friendly way but users are not idiots either.

if only Windows was this easy...

Page 74 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: