Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#1081 Post by Stripe »

I have used a usb memory stick with the "bootflash install puppy to usb" It formats the usb stick to fat 32 then you just choose the iso disk image of the puppy you want to load, and it automaticaly installs it, the only downside is you dont get a F2 puppy pfix option. It is ideal for performing clean installs though (full or frugal) Then just choose the usb device from the boot menu and away you go.
Hope this helps
Don

playdayz

#1082 Post by playdayz »

Now is there a way to change the keyboard without setting off xorgwizard?
Since the keyboard layout uses a setting in xorg.conf that must be fully created before the keyboard layout can be changed, xorgwizard must be run once before it can be changed. if it has already been run then you can use the mouse/Keyboard Wizard to change the keyboard layout.

This has to do with the way Puppy has always been configured--there should be a way around it--but we are using Puppy as present in Woof. Since we have a system that works it doesn't make sense to us to start rearranging basic components of Puppy this close to a release.

alec78

playdayz

#1083 Post by playdayz »

New Lucid news - excellent idea
the update button was never really used
and if needed can be implemented and added to the news
I would suggest some links
eg.
Forum link
Wiki
News
Barrys Blog

. . . And some 'ads' for Puppy innovation
Quirky, Woof, Fatdog, Fluppy, Puppee, 2.xx, Slaxer
yes, exactly. That's the plan. Do you have an intern you can lend me ;-)

tubeguy

#1084 Post by tubeguy »

Iguleder wrote:Here's a font appearance wizard. Very basic. :wink:
Holy cow that is fantastic! Thank you!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

playdayz

#1085 Post by playdayz »

use 207 a lot because the font display on my LCD screen is quite good, though a million miles adrift of Ubuntu, but later versions appear thin and scrappy. Did something change? So wish Puppy had adjustable hinting.......
I have been squinting at the screen for long enough now and my eyes are hurting, but I have come to agree with you. Luci-207 was before I started getting advice. ;-) What I would say is that the fonts there are just slightly "heavier." We will be going back to that arrangement in the next Lupu. Thanks for the specific reference.

DaveS

rjbrewer

#1086 Post by rjbrewer »

Thanks BILLtoo and Stripe; got it working.

With Lupu 501, and Fluppy, I could use bootflash direct from the live
cd.
This cd doesn't have the ldlinux.sys file, so it's necessary to use
the actual iso.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tasmod

#1087 Post by tasmod »

Well after a very dicey start and continuing problems I started again by deleting the savefile I had just created.

A fresh start and new save file, set my settings rebooted again and now everything is stable.

I did notice that the fonts were very thin and indistinct. However once I used the keyboard wizard and when xorg run, reset screen resolution it all cleared up.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tubeguy

resolution stuck at 800x600 with lupu 503

#1088 Post by tubeguy »

First boot looks like this, no higher options, should be 1024x768. This is the exact problem I always had when trying to run Debian or Ubuntu on my laptop, first time I've seen this happen with Puppy. Lappie has a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 controller, can't seem to find anything specific about it.
Attachments
800x600.jpg
(100.82 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

playdayz

#1089 Post by playdayz »

This is the exact problem I always had when trying to run Debian or Ubuntu on my laptop, first time I've seen this happen with Puppy.
We're a mongrel Puppy, we inherit some from Ubuntu and some from Puppy.

tubeguy

#1090 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:
This is the exact problem I always had when trying to run Debian or Ubuntu on my laptop, first time I've seen this happen with Puppy.
We're a mongrel Puppy, we inherit some from Ubuntu and some from Puppy.
:lol: All kidding aside, something's changed from 209 to 503. I'll fiddle a bit.

rjbrewer

Re: resolution stuck at 800x600 with lupu 503

#1091 Post by rjbrewer »

tubeguy wrote:First boot looks like this, no higher options, should be 1024x768. This is the exact problem I always had when trying to run Debian or Ubuntu on my laptop, first time I've seen this happen with Puppy. Lappie has a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 controller, can't seem to find anything specific about it.
Exact same problem I have on a Inspiron 4000, P3, Ati graphics.

It also will not install Grub to hard drive; I suspect the drive, but
other Puppies install okay.

Full installs

tubeguy

#1092 Post by tubeguy »

rjbrewer wrote:
tubeguy wrote:First boot looks like this, no higher options, should be 1024x768. This is the exact problem I always had when trying to run Debian or Ubuntu on my laptop, first time I've seen this happen with Puppy. Lappie has a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 controller, can't seem to find anything specific about it.
Ran xorg wizard, now back to 1024x768.

rjbrewer

#1093 Post by rjbrewer »

tubeguy wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
Keyboard layout-video driver runs x too.

EDIT:
In more than 2 years I have never run across a Puppy that wouldn't
install grub to the hard drive of my Inspiron 4000 laptop; something seriously
screwy about this Luci. :lol:
Last edited by rjbrewer on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 07:45, edited 2 times in total.

Full installs

shinobar

simple working around the keyboard setting

#1094 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:
Now is there a way to change the keyboard without setting off xorgwizard?
Since the keyboard layout uses a setting in xorg.conf that must be fully created before the keyboard layout can be changed, xorgwizard must be run once before it can be changed. if it has already been run then you can use the mouse/Keyboard Wizard to change the keyboard layout.

This has to do with the way Puppy has always been configured--there should be a way around it--but we are using Puppy as present in Woof. Since we have a system that works it doesn't make sense to us to start rearranging basic components of Puppy this close to a release.
No, this system doesn't work.

It provides the first run dialog and the Video, Language, and Keyboard Changer.
Most of users press OK at the first run dialog why they need not change. But not all users choose correct buttons. Not all users fully understand the messages on the first run dialog.
Some press OK but after realized he had to change the keyboard.

You may say 'Follow main menu and run the Video, Language, and Keyboard Changer'.
Regardless, most of them click the 'Setup' icon on the desktop which launches the wizard wizard.
And some directly go to the 'Setup' ignoring the first run dialog.

What happens? Someone find the changing the keyboard model doesn't work. This is not the worst.
Most of them changes their keyboard layout from the wizard wizard and it seems working. But after X server restarted, it ruins.
In this case what happens puzzles the users. This worst case occurs frequently i think.
EDIT: Playdayz, you are wise in modifying input-wizard to prevent this worst case. But it was needless.

No, we are not using Puppy as present in Woof.

The direct desktop on lupu-503 is realized by replacing the xorgwizard in woof by the fake one. But it was not needed.
Use the xorgwizard in woof and just put a fake xorg.conf. It works better.
The point is the fake xorg.conf is xorg.conf0 PLUS 'InputDevice' section.

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
   Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
   Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection
The simple way working around.
EDIT: i found xwin should be modified to accomplish direct desktop at the first boot. i am investigating.
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

#1095 Post by shinobar »

REMARK: changing the video resolution on the fly by the xrandx can shrink the resolution but CANNOT enlarge in some case.
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1096 Post by playdayz »

tubeguy,

Sorry I didn't realize that your graphics had changed since 209. Of course something big had happened since then--we shifted to booting straight to the desktop. I have perhaps been remiss in my educational responsibility to explain this. When luci-209 booted "through" xorgwizard, then Barry's programming in xorgwizard was determining which drivers to use. When we now go straight to the desktop, it is Xorg that is determining the drivers. Sometimes Barry's script makes a better guess--particularly with older cards I am betting. However, when we boot straight to the desktop we *First* have the Xorg way, and then, if necessary we have the xorgwizard way. That is two chances to get it right and at the same time most people get a well-configured desktop right off the bat--and they like that--people have been very clear.

This has been something Xorg has been working toward since Xorg 7.3--since then Xorg has been able to auto config without an xorg.conf. We boot to a first run dialog that offers 2 buttons, OK and Make Some Changes. Those who choose to make changes can configure their Language and Locale, Keyboard Layout, and video driver and resolution by clicking two buttons.

The system does makes those changes immediately, reliably and persistently. If someone decides later that they would like to change their keyboard, and they use the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard--when they click to Change their Keyboard layout they are taken to the Video, Language and Keyboard Changer where it is explained that the keyboard and video driver must be set together. They are not taken to an error screen. If someone is determined to break the system they probably can. That seems like a long way to go though, when everything is right there on the opening screen in 3 simple clicks. If someone says, "the system doesn't work" that is wrong--and not very helpful either.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#1097 Post by James C »

Finally got around to trying Lupu-503 on the quad..............

Live pfix=ram. Initial boot brought a usable display,sound and internet. Install the Nvidia 256.36 pet from Quickpet.........following the instructions does not work........exiting to a prompt,entering "nvidia-xconfig" then "xwin" brings a distorted display with no acceleration. However, exit to prompt, "xorgwizard", "choose","nvidia" ,"1360x768x24" and "xwin".......followed by a trip to the "Nvidia X Settings Wizard" to get the correct 1368x768x24 resolution works.

# graphix_test
For your nVidia card, nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) we think the best add on driver is nvidia-173.14.25 or nvidia-256.36. It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. They are available in Quickpet under Drivers
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
nVidia
GeForce
#

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 503

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
7378 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1475.600 FPS
10368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2073.600 FPS
10402 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.400 FPS
10406 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2081.200 FPS
10401 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.200 FPS
10403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2080.600 FPS
14382 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2876.400 FPS
14803 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2960.600 FPS
14600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2920.000 FPS
14809 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2961.800 FPS
14901 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2980.200 FPS
14897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2979.400 FPS
14859 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2971.800 FPS

-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.35
Direct Rendering : Yes

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1098 Post by Lobster »

I have noticed a tendency of Firefox in 503 to hang (freeze) :shock:
That was not there in the previous release (If Adope Flash messed up then only that tab was lost). Has anyone else experienced this? Has there been a change?
Ethernet is now persistent but I have to use setup wizard to set sound each time. ALSA config is not persistent.

Font changer for LCD worked well
Intern on hold - Puppy satellite considered priority (only in Lobsterian reality)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 401#436401

8)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#1099 Post by playdayz »

SOLUTION:(EDIT)
Add next lines at the tail of /etc/X11/xorg.conf0(or xorg.conf0XORG73 ?) and let it be xorg.conf, which should be preset on CD. the first xorgwizard do nothing regarding xorg.conf at the first boot.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Then, all traditional puppy tools work from the first boot with this breif xorg.conf. The keyboard setting need not be combined with running xorgwizard anymore.
This makes sense.

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Lupu-503

#1100 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Lupu-503 to a 4gb SanDisk SD card using bootflash and I boot it
from the SD card on my eeepc 701.I installed the video driver,the devx,Chromium
browser,vlc,and after updating the puppy package manager I installed tunapie.

Vlc works great on this netbook and combined with tunapie I can watch internet
tv and it looks pretty good on the 7" screen.

I also have a full install of Puppeee RC7 on the 4gb internal hard drive so I
can boot into either distro so this netbook will actually get used more now.

Puppy is cool :)