Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 06:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Different Start Modes
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Donner

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 08:16    Post_subject:  Different Start Modes  

Hey,

i am not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but anyways...

I am working on a little PC (old hardware), which I want to use as a music player for my stereo at home. Now, obviously if I just want to listen to music I don't need a graphical user interface or window system, but sometimes of course (e.g. to configure, install software etc.) it would be nice to have one.

So I'm thinking of a system, which doesn't start a X-Server (is that what the window manager / GUI system is called?) but only the programs which are needed to play music (mplayer and a plugin to enable a bluetooth cell phone to control mplayer).
But then on the other hand I would like to be able to start the normal GUI when it is needed, so like if I press a certain key or something like that I want the normal puppy Linux to start.

My question is: is this possible? What kind of tutorials should I read to be able to accomplish that?

Thank you so much,
D.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 11:53    Post_subject: Re: Different Start Modes  

Donner wrote:
Hey,

i am not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but anyways...

I am working on a little PC (old hardware), which I want to use as a music player for my stereo at home. Now, obviously if I just want to listen to music I don't need a graphical user interface or window system, but sometimes of course (e.g. to configure, install software etc.) it would be nice to have one.

So I'm thinking of a system, which doesn't start a X-Server (is that what the window manager / GUI system is called?) but only the programs which are needed to play music (mplayer and a plugin to enable a bluetooth cell phone to control mplayer).
But then on the other hand I would like to be able to start the normal GUI when it is needed, so like if I press a certain key or something like that I want the normal puppy Linux to start.

My question is: is this possible? What kind of tutorials should I read to be able to accomplish that?

Thank you so much,
D.

Might find some ideas here:

http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Multimedia/MP3-1.html?sort=author

And Jemimah presents some ideas:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=376066&sid=560f6377c1f4fe985dc7a4cf23c8e558
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2010, 12:29    Post_subject:  

It is very possible. To start X (The thing that does the GUI.) from the command line you run the command "startx" but if you have not configured X for the current system you are on then you need to run the "xorgwizard" command to configure X then the "startx" command.
If you what a Command Line Interface app for a music player then have a look at "moc" there are some pets on the forums of it, just search. On my Puppy Linux 4.3.2 v3 (A 4.3.1 update by ttuuxxx.) installs I use the moc-2.4.4.pet.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum