Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

Quirky NOP 1.2

#1 Post by gray »

Quirky NOP 1.2 is available at http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/

This is a 100Mb remaster of Quirky 1.2 in the tradition of previous NOP's

Nearly Office Pups are so called because office apps have been removed ready for you to tack on an SFS file of your favourite office suite (recommend Open Office).

Quirky 1.2 worked amazingly well on my recently acquired EEEPC 1001HA so I made this by;

Replace JWM/ROX with XFCE 4.6.2 / Thunar
Replace SeaMucky browser suite with Firefox 3.6.6 / Sylpheed
Remove Abiword, Gnumeric, Homebank, Ayytm, Geany
Added Transmission
Added Pwidgets 2.27
Removed Nvidia proprietary driver - if you have an Nv card you would probably want to add the full Nvidia driver anyway !

Note this is not an upgrade for previous NOP - it will need a fresh savefile.

check it out -
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(76.12 KiB) Downloaded 4988 times

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

does it work in small Netbooks too? Intel graphic?

I'm downloading it now
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Thanks Gray. Totally cool. No problems installing and running on Acer Aspire 5633. Intel graphics, Dual core.
Wifi connects and sticks, printing good, display brilliant (particularly like being able to set 'hinting'), no problem creating 'save' file.
Finding a non-buggy Abiword might be a challenge :)
Thanks for TinyMenu in Firefox. Compact Menu is always the first thing I install.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

I ask this in two places due to them related.

Gxine in Quirky 1.0 and 1.2 works with youtube files that has been downloaded and saved as mp4 ut here in QNOP they fail to work at all.

Can one borrow the gxine from the working version to this one?

Video streaming is different on this one. It locks and work and locks and work. Looks really weird.

I chosed intel as graphics. Hope that was right.

I look to see what it says in hardware summary.
MESA Dri Intel 945

so should I have written mesa instead of intel or let it make its own choice in testing?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Looks great and since everything is working while running live I'll be doing a frugal install in a few minutes.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

Pleasant surprise today!

Good improvements from Nop 413r2, especially in multimedia.

Testing now, using my regular Opera 10.60 in /mnt/home/opera, outside pupsave.

Will, if actually adopted, use Thunderbird 2 for its convenience with Enigmail. No, I would not use OperaMail ! (Both it and Sylpheed use file formatsthat are cumbersome for large mail archives.

(Suppose best to simply not display unused apps like Firefox and Sylpheed with NoDisplay=true and modify defaults as needed?

Are there new files available for Vboxguestadditions.iso and
Virtualbox__.pet?

Thanks

russoodle

Thanks, Gray

#7 Post by russoodle »

Hi guys,

Download locations:

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... OP-120.iso
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... md5sum.txt
User: puppy
Password: linux
and
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/quirkyNOP-120.iso
0a5c83fa3331cc32ed895d1e047f740d quirkyNOP-120.iso
(thanks micko)

December 2010:
Unfortunately, Caneri's repo no longer exists, so Gray's link now results in a 404
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 13:00, edited 3 times in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Henry

BUG EDIT: Clipman can't be added

#8 Post by Henry »

Xfce's clipboard manager, "clipman," is a feature that to me is indispensable in writing and computing. I use it continuously.

It is set up so only one instance can be established. If one is added to a panel the Clipman item is greyed out in Add New Items. That's how it works in Nop 431. My problem in Quirky is that I don't have one established in either panel (if so I can't find it) and it's still greyed out.

When I try to create a clipman I get this message:

"Failed to execute child process "/usr/share/xfce4/panel-plugins/clipman.desktop" (Permission denied)."

Is anyone else having a similar problem? Suggestions?

EDIT: I think this is a bug, and a pretty serious one. Checksum is OK. (I burned another iso anyway.) When I use pfix=ram and try to add Clipman to a panel the first time, it greys out, and and cannot be added.

Also I note when normally editing desktop application files I cannot copy and paste, e.g. NoDisplay=true, from one file to another.
----------------------------------------------------
Also, does anyone know how to run VirtualBox here?
That's another essential for some (me, anyway)
Which, if any, .pet and Guest Additions apply?

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

wayne128

#9 Post by wayne128 »

greeting everyone,

i am happy to read this, and i downloaded to try on my old laptop, it has celeron 1.3G with 640M RAM and with a old VIA Unichrome Pro on board graphic chip.
several other linux distros does not work on the video.

but this one work without me doing anything. so i am very happy.

as i m new to linux it takes me a while longer to learn. at this point i wish to access other network computer for file sharing. and i need help since i do not know how to set up ,

when i use lameSMBxplorer Samba browser, i could see
1. my Win XP computer's IP address but there is no share name,
2. another computer with share printer and two shared directories. when i double click the share name, there is a pop up windows asking domain, username and password. the problem is i did not set any name and password in the window XP and other machine so i do not know what to do at this point to access those computers.

could someone please help me point to some tutorial to get network file sharing?

thank you

ragaman

#10 Post by ragaman »

1. my Win XP computer's IP address but there is no share name,

Are you sure there's a shared folder in that XP computer?

2. another computer with share printer and two shared directories. when i double click the share name, there is a pop up windows asking domain, username and password. the problem is i did not set any name and password in the window XP and other machine so i do not know what to do at this point to access those computers.

domain- try typing the workgroup to which that PC belongs.
name and password- if you did not set any password on WinXP, then leave that blank.

Have you also tried pnethood?

wayne128

#11 Post by wayne128 »

1. Yes, very sure, have been using it daily with other PC for long time.

2. OK type Workgroup and leave name/password blank, it works, thanks

thanks for suggestion on using Pnethood, i tried and with good results on some PCs but no good on others.

I summarised below and hope it is clear. it is quite a network share issue.

lets put this here, computers are XP1 , D2 , Z3, LP ( laptop with quirky)

3. XP1, D2, Z3 all can share with each others on Shared Folders.

4. XP1, D2, Z3, can ping LP but cannot see LP in Workgroup

5. on LP, Using pnethood,
LP can see XP1's Share folder , can see all files, can copy files from XP1.
LP can see Z3's Share folder , can see all files, can copy files from Z3.

But, LP can see D2's Shared folder, but when clicking Share folder, there is no files.

6. on LP, using lameSMBxplorer,
LP can see XP1's IP address, can see Server name, but cannot see Share Names
LP can see Z3's IP address, can see Share Name and can access all files.

LP can see D2's IP address, can see Server name, can see Share Name, but cannot see any file.

it appears something amiss at LP as i have not yet known how to set up network sharing,

Any clues on how to make LP Share with the rest ?
thank you

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

First, your Puppy machine won't automatically share its files with the Windows machines. You first need to start a server (samba, http or ftp).

I don't know why you have inconsistent results getting Puppy to see the Windows shares, but here are some manual commands you can try.

Make a local mount point with

Code: Select all

mkdir /root/share
Look up the IP address of a Windows machine with

nmblookup pc_name
Mount its share with

mount.cifs //aaa.bbb.cc.dd/share_name /root/share -o guest
Then open your folder /root/share.

Henry

An old problem in a new Nop

#13 Post by Henry »

In addition to the clipboard problem I described above, and the concern over the availability of VirtualBox, I have run into Pburn again. Still too problematic.

I have been unable to find a generally satisfactory linux CD/DVD burner for Puppy. So I continue to use the excellent DeepBurner in wine.

The combination of Barry's advances in Quirky and gray's practical approach are very attractive, so I do hope it thrives. I also hope that some here will confirm or clarify the problems I've observed. I've used Nops for years in extensive business-critical service, and hope to be able to move up to QNop eventually, having already spent considerable effort in creating its quirkysave.

gray

Clipman

#14 Post by gray »

Henry, the fix for Clipman is a simple one. It is looking for libexpat.so.0 and cannot find it. Open up a terminal in /usr/lib and link libexpat.so.0 to libexpat.so.1 i.e. ln -s libexpat.so.1 libexpat.so.0

As for Virtualbox I should have a pet for 3.2.6 uploaded soon - just testing now. :wink:

magerlab

#15 Post by magerlab »

I thought opera 10.6 would be your choice, gray :)
but FF 3.6 is also good
thanks a lot for this loooooong awaited version of NOP

gray

Opera

#16 Post by gray »

Magerlab, I thought Opera was starting to get bloated - especially when you consider that around 1.5Mb of mozilla libs are needed for the flashplayer plugin. :cry:

Henry

Re: Clipman

#17 Post by Henry »

Thanks!
gray wrote:Henry, the fix for Clipman is a simple one. It is looking for libexpat.so.0 and cannot find it. Open up a terminal in /usr/lib and link libexpat.so.0 to libexpat.so.1 i.e. ln -s libexpat.so.1 libexpat.so.0

As for Virtualbox I should have a pet for 3.2.6 uploaded soon - just testing now. :wink:

magerlab

#18 Post by magerlab »

interesting :)
i thought since they refused from qt dependencies it will be mush smaller

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Did you get the phone call from Stockholm yet, gray?!
So rare that genius strikes so often on one continent...

Henry

Now for the hard part - SOLVED

#20 Post by Henry »

I was (am) excited by QNop. I'm still using the Nop that evolved over the years, and it does everything I need flawlessly. It's on the same hard drive as QNop and shares the same data files. I suppose I should leave well enough alone, but it seems about time for a catchup job. Earlier today I wasn't sure, but having sorted out some things today, yes, QNop is excellent!

It's fun to work with, and is superior in a number of areas. As gray will remember it took me a lot of time and help to perfect my Nop. Here we go again with QNop. I'm a little baffled about which packages work with it. One assumes the -q ones do, and I always search for them first.

Gnome-MPlayer is elegantly designed, just right.

The easy part was getting most things working, and getting it all tricked out as I like, suppressing all those things I don't want to see (or use). Setting up keyboard shortcuts, etc.

EDIT: But I've spent a day or two trying to get Gnupg working in Thunderbird. Also, I get this in Thunderbird:
"OpenGpg Alert, Enigmail:Enigmime service not available. To permanently avoid this alert, either fix the problem or uninstall Enigmail using the OpenPgp->preferences menu" That's a new one on me - Enigmail works fine in my other system.

But I decided I'd spent enough time on this and uninstalled Enigmail. I can easily enough decrypt occasional emails in the terminal. Anyway, the accountant handles most such mails in Eudora :-)

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 24 Jul 2010, 20:21, edited 2 times in total.