Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simon1482

#2361 Post by simon1482 »

Hi, how do I get horizontal scrolling using the touchpad working? I have an EeePC701 running Puppeee 4.3.1.

Also, I have a Logitech Nano VX220 wireless mouse which I would also like to get the horizontal scrolling working for, please.

Thanks, Simon

PS Sorry for all the empty threads I've made by mistake. Mods, feel free to remove them.

pemasu

#2362 Post by pemasu »

simon1482. Adjusting touchpad, you should use FlSynclient. Efficient tool.

Click the attachment.
Attachments
Enable horisontal scrolling using FlSynclient.jpg
(175.79 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

simon1482

#2363 Post by simon1482 »

Thanks heaps!
pemasu wrote:simon1482. Adjusting touchpad, you should use FlSynclient. Efficient tool.

Click the attachment.

sanderd

package installer

#2364 Post by sanderd »

hi,

i just updated to rc7 on my eeepc900. works great (again!), but i seem to miss the package installer icon on the desktop.
also not available in menus. so, where did it go?

@mod: this post replaces http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57832

tnx.
sander

scabz

#2365 Post by scabz »

you can find it here /usr/share/applications/Puppy-package-manager.desktop

in the menu it should be under system

djr

beta 7 with java and chrome

#2366 Post by djr »

Running with beta 7 I just added the java sfs file and tried to access several java enabled web pages without any luck.

I finally got it to work by creating the plugins directory for chrome, which was not present, and adding a soft link to the java plugins shared library. Here are the commands:

mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_21/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so .

Hope this helps someone else.

(BTW, thanks so much for the emacs sfs. Now I don't have to translate every edit I start to type in)

jemimah

#2367 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:have downloaded java sfs from http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/java_jre1.6.sfs and configured the boot manager to load it, restarted and now want to configure either chrome or opera 10.60 to use the java sfs but cant see where to do it.
Read here: http://pupweb.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1278996626

jemimah

#2368 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:
nooby wrote:Another thing.
which Wine pet am I to use in puppeee?
has this
http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/picasa3_wine.sfs
got wine?
Picasa comes with wine, but I didn't get around to checking if it can be used with other stuff yet so I didn't add wine to the menu. I will make a wine sfs this week probably.

I was going to build it from the Wine here: http://code.google.com/p/puppy-developm ... loads/list

jemimah

#2369 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:
Both seems to write to the HDD each 30 second.

What is that about?
That's pretty normal for Linux, and fairly difficult to fix. You can use Ramboot if it bothers you.

jemimah

Re: package installer

#2370 Post by jemimah »

sanderd wrote:hi,

i just updated to rc7 on my eeepc900. works great (again!), but i seem to miss the package installer icon on the desktop.
also not available in menus. so, where did it go?

@mod: this post replaces http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57832

tnx.
sander

Hmm not sure where it went.

Fix it by editing /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and add

Code: Select all

<icon x="224" y="32" label="install">/usr/sbin/dotpup</icon>
inside the <pinboard> tags. Also there is a /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.orig file that may work if you copy it to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.

nooby

#2371 Post by nooby »

I guess you talk about the one made by Gyro?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56585

One need to change to a special made initread.

I only have 1GB of RAM on my ACER. Playing lot of youtube can fill it up easily I guess
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jemimah

#2372 Post by jemimah »

Puppeee and Fluppy have Ramboot supported out of the box. It's on the boot menu.

nooby

#2373 Post by nooby »

Ahh that is super!

You mention about it in a post
If waiting for it to save on shutdown is irritating, check out the ramboot option - which loads everything into RAM, and doesn't try to save on shutdown.

I try to find where you explain how to activate it. Does one add pfix=ramboot to the kernel line?

How does one save changes to pupsave then. does that mode add a save button?

jemimah

#2374 Post by jemimah »

To get the boot menu, you need to create a bootable stick by following the directions on the Puppeee website. Otherwise Ramboot is activated by using ramboot=1.

There is no way to save in Ramboot. First set up your system how you want it, then ramboot when you don't need to save. If you need to make changes, just boot normally.

You need to keep the size of your save file small enough to fit into ram or it won't work.

nooby

#2375 Post by nooby »

ramboot=1 only works for linux formatted hdd not for dual booting with Win7 on Acer D250 due to NTFS .

Error! Failed to boot with that boot code but boots normally when edit it out again.

I am in puppeee now.

Another question. Temp always says 27C and that seems unrealistic to me because it feels like 40C or earmer to my hand.

Is Acer D250 known to not be able to give right readings?formatting.

nooby

#2376 Post by nooby »

Jemimah, I do trust your deep knowledge about how Puppeee works .

But don't you remember that some member of the forum did say that it is possible to shut down without saving by manually do some clever things.

At most a month ago. So I shall get out of my laziness and find that thread.

Edit

Not sure maybe this is that thread but could be another one.
Bruce B says:
A user with good file management 'know-how' could make these changes in a matter of several minutes. It would be a matter of knowing what he wants to accomplish.

However, lacking the file management 'know-how' I doubt he could make the changes, save for a detailed step-by-step tutorial.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 653#430653

But the post and thread I hope to find was a very easy workaround if oen know how to do it, which I failed to grasp.

From my poor memory.

Save the pupsave file you want to have as your secured permanent save file in a place where puppy don't load it during boot. That way you always have a fresh version to load using this workaround.

Text that I don't remember hinted how one do that above.

So it was a clever work around.

You delete or just ignore the newest changed pupsave file and load the preferred secured pupsave placed in a way that don't allow puppy to boot it and despite that one getting changed and saved at shut down that did not matter because at next boot or reboot you only make use of the preferred secure unchanged one from its hidden place instead which remains as one want it to be.

sorry confusing text. But it sounded to be an easy foolproof thing to do. I only wish me would get how to do it

nooby

#2377 Post by nooby »

Oh it could be this one.
How to Build a Locked-Down Installation of Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41146
rcrsn51 describe how to:

The basic idea is to create a pup_save file and make a backup copy of it.

Whenever Puppy is booted, the backup version is copied onto the current version.

The user always starts with a pristine pup_save and any changes that are made during a session will disappear on the next boot.

Because this will involve modifying the Puppy initrd.gz file, you may want to make a backup copy in case of problems.

Or, if necessary, you can boot off the Live CD and copy the original version from the CD.
I wish me could think as clearly as he does.

He mention how he use it on usb here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 233#431233

does that mean it only works on usb?

jemimah

#2378 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:ramboot=1 only works for linux formatted hdd not for dual booting with Win7 on Acer D250 due to NTFS .

Error! Failed to boot with that boot code but boots normally when edit it out again.

I am in puppeee now.

Another question. Temp always says 27C and that seems unrealistic to me because it feels like 40C or earmer to my hand.

Is Acer D250 known to not be able to give right readings?formatting.
NTFS shouldn't cause a problem, but the sfs files and save file all need to be in the same place.

I think acer needs a kernel module for temperature detection. Fluppy has the module, but not Puppeee.

jemimah

#2379 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:Jemimah, I do trust your deep knowledge about how Puppeee works .

But don't you remember that some member of the forum did say that it is possible to shut down without saving by manually do some clever things.
Are you trying to keep it from writing to the drive, or make it unmodifiable? Ramboot does both, but other methods will only do the latter.

nooby

#2380 Post by nooby »

You are right.

I need to uninstall the firefox sfs and the picasawine sfs because they are in mnt/home and not the subdir.

So I started all over. Deleted the puppeee savefile and set it all up with bookmarks and mail account and symlinks to music and pictures and the menu.lst and added ramboot=1 to the title in menu.lst all this after a reboot created a pupsavefile.

But when rebooting and testing it then it gave same error

not correct ext2 so it fails to boot.

deleted the ramboot=1 and all works again. So something goes wrong.