Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#821 Post by playdayz »

puppy pfix=nox
xorg-setup.old
vesa
xwin
rjbrewer, you can still do that, except change xorg-setup-old to xorg-setup.

Thanks.

playdayz

#822 Post by playdayz »

ICPUG wrote:Here is my report of 211 with Intel 855 graphics.

I run my test on a laptop frugal install dual boot with Windows (Lin'N'Win).

As reported by others with other Intel boards you get the black screen of death.
Both reports of black screen so far are Intel 855. I think. That could be useful info to have.
Another issue: When I booted up letting Xorg configure automatically I then decided to change the keyboard settings etc. cos I thought it would be set to US if I didn't. I was a little surprised to have to configure Xorg as well but even worse I did not have an option to let Xorg automagically configure again

In order to change the keyboard there must be an xorg.conf file--that is why xorgwizard is necessary. If you mean change the Locale (language) that can be done without an xorg.conf--with Menu -> Desktop -> Chooselocale.

playdayz

#823 Post by playdayz »

2/ started video (intel) but at the max for chipset /monitor (1600x1200), no questions asked, was unuseable, should be set 800x600 or 1024x768
Video resolution can be changed with xrandrshell (run xorgwizard from menu) or by using the Video changed from the first run dialog--that runs xorgwizard from a command line).

rjbrewer

#824 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:
puppy pfix=nox
xorg-setup.old
vesa
xwin
rjbrewer, you can still do that, except change xorg-setup-old to xorg-setup.

Thanks.
Thanks; seems vesa is not available.

I tried ICPUGs' i915.modeset=1 suggestion.
Worked fine!

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#825 Post by playdayz »

Worked fine!
There was no vesa driver? I am puzzled. Or the vesa driver did not work?

modeset. We are getting the info we need. Thanks.

playdayz

#826 Post by playdayz »

Huge Announcement

01micko and playdayz are happy to announce that the Lucid Puppy team has been joined by WhoDo as Art Director. WhoDo was the coordinator of Puppy 4.2 Community Edition, which was one of the best-looking Puppies ever. WhoDo's presence should indicate to everyone inside and outside of the Puppy community that we regard the aesthetics of our distro as a top priority. After all, when people use Lucid Puppy, the desktop is what they see most of. WhoDo has already been able to create a contest at Australian Photography to choose the upcoming Lucid Puppy 5.1 background. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/ ... hp?t=61608

WhoDo is also very experienced with Icewm and we are going to include that by default beginning in luci-213, not as the default desktop but in the iso and already tested and configured. This is a good thing we believe because 1) it gives Lucid users an alternate window manager at the cost of only about 1MB; and 2) there have been several things have to do with graphics that jwm is not doing correctly, but Icewm does.

playdayz

#827 Post by playdayz »

Subject description: Supported 830M/MG-845G/GE-852GM-855GM/GME-865G
I have an old laptop which uses the Intel 845g gfx chipset and could only use XVESA however there is a solution so that you can use Xorg.

I found this information on the site, so thanks to the people who submitted this, I have just collated the information and the required file.
Thanks chrome307
Anyone want to bet that these might be the Intel graphics chipsets that give us the black screen? The two reports we have are on 855's.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57514

We ares till seeking information, but one possibility is to detect these chipsets and substitute the i810 driver for the symlink to the Intel_drv and then let it boot. Another possibility is that when we detect one of those chipsets we automatically sift into xorgwizard rather than trying to boot directly to the desktop. The 1955modeset option might fit in also. Things are still in flux but information rules. Luci-213 will have the first approximation of a solution.

rjbrewer

#828 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:

Worked fine!
There was no vesa driver? I am puzzled. Or the vesa driver did not work?

modeset. We are getting the info we need. Thanks.
Using the pfix=nox and xorg-setup gave me the options for
setting up vesa, but selecting it caused "black-screen crash".
Driver missing? No vesa option in menu.

Whatever.....xorg is working fine.
The reason I used xvesa in the 4.xx series Puppies was the
inability of xorg to display correct color rendering when
playing video files or dvds.
Don't have that problem now with this xorg.

Trying a full install.

Vlc quickpet works good. Doesn't have that mplayer dvd menu
screwup that all mplayers seem to have.

I don't like the new Seamonkey; deleted all it's files, installed
1.1.18 pet, replaced .mozilla with same from a previous setup.
Have all old settings and functions working fine.

Full installs

playdayz

#829 Post by playdayz »

Using the pfix=nox and xorg-setup gave me the options for
setting up vesa, but selecting it caused "black-screen crash".
The vesa_drv.so is in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers. You could check to be sure.

Could you do the go to /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copy that to a message.
Thanks.

playdayz

#830 Post by playdayz »

I am about to start testing "gtk-recordMy Desktop." That is how the developers write it. I sure hope the problem might be in the configs; it seems like a very useful program. I use a similar program named Camtasia for my paying work.

To record from my microphone I did this. I started mhWave-edit and clicked the Record button. At the Record screen I choose a format, and then clicked Launch Mixer. On the Mixer I clicked F4 for Capture. I turned up Capture and Capture 1, arrow to them and then up arrow. I also set Input Sour(ce) to Mic. Then I could see movement on the meters--only the left--my mic is a mono plug. mhwave-edit is just a way to start the alsamixer--you can just open a terminal and enter alsamixer.

Then I shut Mh-wave-edit and opened gtk-recordMyDesktop. I made a recording and it recorded sound from the mic.

The ogv file would not play with the gnome-mplayer 0.9.9.2 that is installed inluci-212, but it does play in gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 which we are considering using for other reasons also. It also would play with Smplayer. It would also play with VLC. Somehow I took SMplayer out of the PPM repo. Why did I do that? I see, it will be back soon.

Anyway I think music playing on the desktop might be recorded by changing the Input Sour in Alsamixer. You can do the same things with Retrovol if you right-click and open the Full Window
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.

darwinev0lved

switch_root

#831 Post by darwinev0lved »

OK, unless there are some quick fixed people can suggest I'm going to have to abandon testing till we hit beta.

At the moment luci212 is refusing to boot past switch_root it just hangs and hangs. Never seen that before. Before that, I'd got an odd report that I'd filled my savefile - now I had just installed firefox, java, openoffice: but the latter two install to /mnt/home and I also symlink the firefox profile directory there too, so as to avoid filling up the savefile unnecessarily.

So why on earth would puppy announce that I'd run out of room in my savefile (512MB) when I basically hadn't put anything in it? And could this be related to my problem that when I tried to restart it wouldn't get past switch_root?

Any suggestions?

alec78

Intel Graphics-Luci212

#832 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Hi Playdayz,
Booted up the Samsung x05 with pfix=ram, result black screen.
Rebooted with pfix=ram,nox. Ran xorgwizard, typed in i810, result desktop. Ran video-driver, result below.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 212

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Note the vesa driver.
But using the top mouse wizard in Setup resulted in touchpad tapping working.

On a seperate issue Playdayz, any chance you posting delta files of your new brews of luci and lupu?
I realise this may be the camel's straw, re your post of a couple of days ago.
Cheers

playdayz

#833 Post by playdayz »

This is the third black screen and the third Intel 855.
On a seperate issue Playdayz, any chance you posting delta files of your new brews of luci and lupu?
I realise this may be the camel's straw, re your post of a couple of days ago.
I would like to say I will, but here's the deal. I am lazy ;-)
That is not quite it maybe. I have been working at least 4 hours a day on Puppy for several months now--and we are all happy with the results of that--01micko has been working at least that much also. We are not complaining--we choose to do it. But when I finish one thing there are a couple of more waiting--if I do triage and prioritize then the delta file would never get to the top. Similarly, that error message about the deprecated modprobe.conf hasn't gotten to the top--it will be fixed before release, but probably not today ;-)

It would be great if someone could make the delta files.

(That is not an ideal work method, the one I described. I should make myself have time to just play around and try things out. Actually I am doing that a bit more now that we feel the base is in pretty decent shape.)

playdayz

#834 Post by playdayz »

At the moment luci212 is refusing to boot past switch_root it just hangs and hangs. Never seen that before. Before that, I'd got an odd report that I'd filled my savefile - now I had just installed firefox, java, openoffice: but the latter two install to /mnt/home and I also symlink the firefox profile directory there too, so as to avoid filling up the savefile unnecessarily.

So why on earth would puppy announce that I'd run out of room in my savefile (512MB) when I basically hadn't put anything in it? And could this be related to my problem that when I tried to restart it wouldn't get past switch_root?

Any suggestions?
Experimenting as we are doing can break things. I have done what you described several times and what I do is then boot with the pfix=ram option. You can edit it into the /boot/grub/menu.lst or if you can't boot you can edit it into the boot parameters when grub runs at first. Highlight the Puppy you want to boot and then click 'e' for edit. Then highlight the second line and click e again, add pfix=ram to the end of that line and then click Enter and 'b' for boot.

Usually when I boot I just delete the old lucisave file and start over..

stu90

#835 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:I am about to start testing "gtk-recordMy Desktop." That is how the developers write it. I sure hope the problem might be in the configs; it seems like a very useful program. I use a similar program named Camtasia for my paying work.

To record from my microphone I did this. I started mhWave-edit and clicked the Record button. At the Record screen I choose a format, and then clicked Launch Mixer. On the Mixer I clicked F4 for Capture. I turned up Capture and Capture 1, arrow to them and then up arrow. I also set Input Sour(ce) to Mic. Then I could see movement on the meters--only the left--my mic is a mono plug. mhwave-edit is just a way to start the alsamixer--you can just open a terminal and enter alsamixer.

Then I shut Mh-wave-edit and opened gtk-recordMyDesktop. I made a recording and it recorded sound from the mic.

The ogv file would not play with gnome-mplayer, but it would play with Smplayer. It would also play with VLC. Somehow I took SMplayer out of the PPM repo. Why did I do that?

Anyway I think music playing on the desktop might be recorded by changing the Input Sour in Alsamixer.
I went ahead and installed VLC as lobster suggested this enabled output file to be transcode after recording and to be played locally - just to test out i have uploaded a small .ogv video recording to youtube but for me when i watch it is unwatchable and all blocky and pixilated. ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhN-AoxwAHA

Edit:
Just booted into spup and converted the .ogv file with FFcovert to .flv format.
Video now works on youtube (no audio as my laptop doesn't have a microphone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49utvm5emk

Maybe youtube doen't work with .ogv format?

playdayz

#836 Post by playdayz »

Hm. It's interesting. I did not test mplayer in Quirky but in Slackpup 030/040.
In Luci, if 01micko's ffmpeg is installed, ffplay plays .webm files well and (only with ffplay) both .3gp and .mp4 mobile videos have sound as I wrote in Post 486. Unfortunately, mplayer has failed since 207 (or before).

gjuhasz. Here is gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 compiled in luci. It plays .ogv files which 0.9.9.2 will not play. It does other things better also, maybe it would do your tests--I wouldn't bet on it but it is worth a try I think

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 6-lupu.pet

rjbrewer

#837 Post by rjbrewer »

Using the tip from alec78, I was also able to get vesa working.

Full installs

smokey01

#838 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:
The ogv file would not play with the gnome-mplayer 0.9.9.2 that is installed inluci-212, but it does play in gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 which we are considering using for other reasons also. It also would play with Smplayer. It would also play with VLC. Somehow I took SMplayer out of the PPM repo. Why did I do that? I see, it will be back soon.
playdayz mplayer has never worked well for me no matter which computer I use. When it plays MOV video files produced from my HD camera they are quite jerky. VLC is much better. Gxine and xine both work better too.

James C

#839 Post by James C »

Yet another test of Intel graphics............ :lol:

Got the old Dell off the shelf,running Luci-212 live pfix=ram. Installed Opera and Xorg_High.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 212

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-OpenGL-

Vendor : Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 845G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
Version : 1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering : Yes

# glxgears

1119 frames in 5.0 seconds
1385 frames in 5.0 seconds
1351 frames in 5.0 seconds
1356 frames in 5.0 seconds
1362 frames in 5.0 seconds
1355 frames in 5.0 seconds
1319 frames in 5.0 seconds
1418 frames in 5.0 seconds
1876 frames in 5.0 seconds
1474 frames in 5.0 seconds
2174 frames in 5.0 seconds
2112 frames in 5.0 seconds
2071 frames in 5.0 seconds
2189 frames in 5.0 seconds
2078 frames in 5.0 seconds
2142 frames in 5.0 seconds

James C

#840 Post by James C »

Well, I was reading posts here on the forum and just lost X completely.I'm on another computer while trying to get X working on the Dell.

Can't get X back.....tried vesa,Intel and i810 drivers .....will not restart. Hmmmmmm....... :lol:

Let's reboot and try it again....