Looking for a Puppy compatible PCI NIC card

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
stlchuck

Looking for a Puppy compatible PCI NIC card

#1 Post by stlchuck »

Looking for input from anyone who is using a PCI NIC card for their network connection and their experience with it and wether or not it is fully supported in Puppy. The Nvidia NIC on my new comp won't work with Puppy and rather than mess with a HD install and then trying to install drivers for the Nvidia it seems easier to bypass it for the time being. My preference here is to keep things as simple as I can (KISS system) - and continue to boot from CD if I can. Maybe somewhere down the road the needed driver will be included in a new Puppy distro - but until then this might be a workable solution.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

I forgot to mention in the other thread, but since you brought up "down the road" I'll just throw it in here. Puppy 2.0 won't have the problem with preserving stuff, so when that comes out the installation of the nForce drivers will be simplified. Just so you know.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

stlchuck

Thanks...

#3 Post by stlchuck »

Thanks Pizza - That bit of info will be handy down the road - I've learned the hard way that given my age (50+) and a late start on getting computer skills that I'm best off keeping things as simple as possible. That line about old dogs and new tricks does apply - sometimes in spades!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Just a wild thought...
Try the ne2k-pci.o driver with your Nvidia card...

# modprobe ne2k-pci

It used to be that most ethernet cards were "ne2000 compatible", but I don't
know if the manufacturers bother with that anymore.

stlchuck

Thanks Barry...

#5 Post by stlchuck »

But ne2k-pci.o is a no go. Same message as for the Nvidia forcedeth driver "loading failed". Thanks for the try though - I might get lucky yet! I'll probably take a run out to CompUSA early in the week and see what they have. Can you recomend any NIC's known to work?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

The majority should work.
I've got a SiS900 on-motherboard chip.
You can find a supported list in Puppy, in /lib/libhardware/ethernet.db