Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
scruffy

Nvidia graphics driver

#701 Post by scruffy »

Thanks to shinobar I've solved my Nvidia graphics problem. I didn't realize that I should start my fresh install with vesa.

NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet installed fine and graphics are much faster. Is it worth including this in quickpet
for older Nvidia cards?

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 210

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: NV18 Board - p119s0nz Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
3457 frames in 5.0 seconds
4247 frames in 5.0 seconds
4260 frames in 5.0 seconds
4062 frames in 5.0 seconds
AMD Athlon 1100MHz 512MB -Soundcard C-media CMI8738 -Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440 - Netgear wired DSL

JustGreg

#702 Post by JustGreg »

I have found, like others, that starting from Xorg configuration using VESA is the easiest way to install the official Nvidia pet.. I have been working on a pet for Slack Pup, which has both the nv and nouveau drivers. Trying to change to nvidia driver seems to fail. However, one can always change to the nvidia driver using the pet if the initial configuration is VESA. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

playdayz

#703 Post by playdayz »

I've been using Opera 10.11 on (2) 5.01 installs and all these test installs....seems to work fine. 10.60 on the other hand......... Laughing
There are complaints everywhere about 10.60 being buggy and not quite ready for prime time, but it's still fast. Smile
Thanks James C. I was going to ask your opinion of whether we should use 10.60 as our Opera. I have got it now. I agree btw. Thanks.

playdayz

#704 Post by playdayz »

OK I un installed songbird .. and deleted a directory called .songbird2 ( to see if that helped)

I then re installed via quickpet . The install was successful..but still no menu entry..when I try to start it from a console i get this now !!
g0pey, How large is your pupsave file? That is the number in the lower right corner. If it is too small, less than 100 probably, then programs will not install correctly. What version of puppy, luci-209? I just tested and it installed and there was a menu entry under multimedia. If you have enough pupsave memory, then try to exit to a prompt and enter 'fixmenus' and then enter 'xwin' to return to jwm. Have you changed anything from default? Background shouldn't matter? Sorry we don't have a quick fix.
I increased my save file size by +512 M .. so it went from 380M free to over 900 M..
Good. I see you got it yourself. The numbers seem large to me also, but Songbird is a large program and it needs at least double--and more--to install the pet. The downside of installing some of the programs we are using is this. I routinely use 1024MB of pupsave memory. Those who want to use less certainly can--Puppy has no frills programs to do most things.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

#705 Post by gjuhasz »

JustGreg wrote:I have found, like others, that starting from Xorg configuration using VESA is the easiest way to install the official Nvidia pet.. I have been working on a pet for Slack Pup, which has both the nv and nouveau drivers. Trying to change to nvidia driver seems to fail. However, one can always change to the nvidia driver using the pet if the initial configuration is VESA. I hope this helps.
The best way to survive would be removing BOTH nv and nouveau drivers from the sfs. If they are in separate PETs, users could choose either of them after booted up using vesa. Thus, installing the proprietary nvidia driver wouldn't be a nightmare.

Note that I don't see a huge performance difference between vesa, nv and nouveau.
Last edited by gjuhasz on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#706 Post by playdayz »

think that the best way to survive would be removing BOTH nv and nouveau drivers from the sfs. If they are in separate PETs, users could choose either of them after booted up using vesa. Thus, installing the proprietary nvidia driver wouldn't be a nightmare.
Nouveau was accidentally present in luci-210. My fault--it snuck back in. It is not planned in 5.1

This means one more luci before the Beta. Rats on me.

I will post 211 today
--with this and a couple of other fixes.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#707 Post by playdayz »

Test3 (Lupu 5.00 for comparison)
-----
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 500

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: NV18 Board - p119s0nz Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"
scruffy, Test 3 is using the nvidia driver which is the only one that uses hardware acceleration--that is why it is much faster. As I said above I screwed up and the nouveau driver snuck into luci-210 which messes up installing the nvidia pet. Please look forward to luci-211. You can also mess with 201 to get the nvidia pet to install and run.

gjuhasz

Re: The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-210

#708 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote:1. Bugs that you reported previously that were fixed - make sure they are still fixed.
There are some issues concerning Mplayer. Does not play sound for mobile videos (.3gp, .mp4). Cannot play .webm files. (In spup, all mentioned are OK)
playdayz wrote:2. The upgrade path for your graphics card - can you get high performance (glx) graphics...
Beyond nouveau, the nv driver should also be moved to PET. This allows painless selection of either nv/nouveau or nvidia.
playdayz wrote:3. The programs in Quickpet and Puppy Package Manager ... Some other programs require that you install Python.
Installing some software from PET package does not recognize missing dependencies that require further manual install and activation. E.g., Jokosher requires Python then Python requires pygtk ... an average user gives up seeking further todo-s: he needs to enter 'update-python-modules' in a terminal and then enter 'jokosher' and it should run. Maybe I am an average user or below, but Jokosher still refuses to work for me :(

Thats all. In general, Luci seems to be on the right way towards 5.1 :)

playdayz

#709 Post by playdayz »

As you have been telling me, Nvidia is a mess. I apologize; I have been doing other things. Those other things needed to be done though.

On my FX 5200 none of the nvidia pets would work. I notice that Ubuntu has the nvidia drivers--a multitude of them. We need to find out if they work and if so then we could offer them with a table of which one to select--we could even help. 01micko is that what you mean by giving people the number of their card?

I am feeling kind of ornery today, but it is going to take us longer than planned to get the Nvidia right, so imho opinion we might consider booting directly to the desktop--we understand things a tiny bit better now. Except, to boot directly to the desktop, you need Icewm because JWM will not resize itself correctly. That is one of at elast 3 big things that jwm does not do correctly--2) it doesn't allow gnome-m,player 0.9.9.2 (the lastest) to go full screen correctly, and 3) it doesnt' allow Stellarium to run correctly either. Notice a pattern? What's your opinion?

Here is some trivia. Ubuntu's nouveau driver doesn't do hardware acceleration--other distros do. In my experiments today, neither nv or fbdev do software acceleration worth a darn. So, for us, their is no open source acceleration at all. Additionally there is no one nvidia driver that works across the board, but neither are there multiple drivers as with ati, so that you could have, say, 3, that would cover all ATI cards.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#710 Post by Stripe »

Hi All
I can play sound for mobile videos (.3gp, .mp4) in Gplayer and smplayer just mp4 and 3gp yideos are not very good (dont know if they are supposed to be)
Hope this helps
Don

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

old message here

#711 Post by Béèm »

This message deprecated config file had been away for a while.

Code: Select all

VERSION UPDATE
LOAD KERNEL MODULES
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
LOAD SWAP
MISC. SYSTEM SETUP
WAIT MODULES LOADED
USER SELECTED MODULES
SETUP SERVICES
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
RECOGNISE MEDIA DEVICES
MISC. DESKTOP STUFF
PERSONAL BOOT SCRIPT
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
cups: started scheduler.
Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

dhcpcd: version 5.1.5 starting
Starting HAL daemon:  /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
dhcpcd: eth1: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.3
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/0' created.
modem `modem:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/0'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.
dhcpcd: eth1: acknowledged 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.1
dhcpcd: eth1: checking for 192.168.1.3
dhcpcd: eth1: leased 192.168.1.3 for 172800 seconds
dhcpcd: forking to background
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

losing connection in lucid 210

#712 Post by Béèm »

This started in lucid 210.
Regularly I loose connection and have to push 'try again' in the SeaMonkey browser.
Mostly it works then.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

shinobar

Why not Grub4Dos?

#713 Post by shinobar »

Is it concreted that the Puppy 5.1 will use Grub and not Grub4Dos?

The universal installer sais FRUGAL installation is recommended, and it can install to a non-Linux FAT or NTFS partition.
But the Grub requires Linux boot partition. Otherwides, you must use a boot floppy or a USB pen drive.
And you must edit the configuration by hand because the grubconfig basically does not support FRUGAL installation.

Contrary, the Grub4Dos does not require Linux partitions. The only limit is the first partition should not be ext4.
And the Grub4DosConfig supports both FRUGAL and FULL installation.

stu90

#714 Post by stu90 »

playdayz:

If they are of any use here are the matching light/dark GTK & JWM themes i made for puppy.look
8)
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23368666/themes.tar.gz

shinobar

Menu nesting

#715 Post by shinobar »

The main menu on lupu and luci has submenus.
What I feel curious is important and frequent used programs are hidden under the submenus.
For exmple, Wizard Wizard, Puppy package manager, etc.
This menu listing is not user friendly especially for beginers.

If you use submenus, the major programs should be at top and the misc in subdirectories.
But I think submenus are not needed in case the applications is not so many, and the lupu/luci is the case.

playdayz

#716 Post by playdayz »

Shinobar, You are always worth listening to. Thanks for your contributions. You have obviously thought very clearly about the user interface--that is an interest of mine also. I was lucky to hear Alan Kay speak many years ago. He was one of the innovators at the Xerox Parc (Palo Alto Research Center) who invented the graphical user interface that Apple used for the Macintosh and then he worked as an "evangelist" for Apple. He told a story about getting into a rickety old plane in the outback and getting nervous when he saw that all the dials and gauges looked like some child had turned them around so that none of them had "the 12 at the top." Ah, but when the plane reached cruising altitude, every one of the dials and gauges pointed straight up so the pilot could see with a quick glance if anything was out of order. That had something to do with designing computer user interfaces ;-)

01micko

#717 Post by 01micko »

Ok, :D I like it! (let's hope we all do :wink: )

report-video doesn't report driver.. ah.. that's because it get's info from xorg.conf :wink:

I loaded CatDude's nvidia-173.xx pet.. :D

report-video ok, nvidia driver :D

glxgears .. 16100 frames in 5 sec, bit slower than JustGreg's driver, but supports my card and 'just works' in Luci-211 :)

Sound :D

firefox in 10 seconds :D

I can see everything I need at a glance :shock: :lol: :wink:

we're getting there Image Image Image

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#718 Post by Lobster »

What's your opinion?
Use icewm and have jwm as a pet or second wm. Most people will notice only the improvements.

That is the short answer.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#719 Post by 01micko »

Yes, what Lobster said but leave in JWM. Small enough, even with all the tools, and the switcher works ok. (Warren and David will like that!)

I notice all the Xorg_High is in this release, hence the extra weight, is it needed for the way Ubuntu handles Xorg? Curious.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#720 Post by DaveS »

Lobster wrote:
What's your opinion?
Use icewm and have jwm as a pet or second wm. Most people will notice only the improvements.

That is the short answer.
If you do that, please point me to an icewm tutorial. I know JWM so well, it would be a real culture shock. Worth it in the end though?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!