Suggestions for Puppy - Printing

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
tim

Suggestions for Puppy - Printing

#1 Post by tim »

I realy like the new puppy 1.0.5, great work and many thanks. I would like to see Cups incorporated for printing, i see some work has already been done, and this would make puppy realy versatile with a huge database of printers and network printing available. I have converted several people to puppy, finding a suitable printer has always been a problem.
I find most people just want to surf, send email, and write/print documents, the weakest link here is the small database of printers.
I also find Textmaker much more powerfull than Abiword.
I love the Dotpup downloader, used it to install Audacity - superb.
Did get fed up of the lonesome pup staring at me - it all became too much, i wanted to take it home and look after it, feed it, take it for walks ..................
Tim

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

I don't think that CUPS is suitable for Puppy. It is quite large when you include the ESP ghost script and Perl.

Not everybody needs CUPS, The existing printing system covers the most common printers.

From the people that need CUPS, not everybody need ESP ghostscript or perl or all the specific printer drivers.

What people have difficulty understanding is that CUPS is a printing system, not a printer driver. CUPS is not monolythic, you will need different components for different printers.

Of course, if size is not an issue, you can throw in all the drivers and PPDs and dependencies that someone will ever need. In this case, size is an issue.

I have some ideas on how to integrate CUPS with puppy without having it in the base puppy, the problem is that it would be very time consuming and I haven't seen the need or interest.

Just a couple of people have asked how to set-up CUPS. So, from my point of view, for the handful of people using it it's more time efficient to just help them one by one.

We have already spent about 80 hours and I wouldn't rule out spending over 300 more hours to create a puppyfied solution. That considering that we have enough people testing which hasn't been the case up to now.

tim

#3 Post by tim »

Yes i guess cups might be a problem from what you say, I did try the free version of Turboprint as puppy has all the dependances, it installed ok with unrpm and seemed to be working,nice easy interface - but did not print and seemed to have a permission problem - sorry am not technical at all so had to give up!

noip

#4 Post by noip »

Some idle thoughts on Puppy and printing....

I spent yesterday having a look at the native network printing capabilities of Puppy. I wasn't successful, but I did learn a lot.

Now, whilst I'm sure I could add on other techniques (notably the good work that has been done on CUPS), the thing that concerns me is the added size of the installation. I see that Barry has tried to make a capable, light-weight operating system here, and I guess I'm averse to adding to it on my machine if I don't have to. So, back to pdq and the samba installed with Puppy.

Samba ...
I have a printer connected to another machine and defined in samba. Now, I CAN print to it using the samba command line, but that is pretty basic. It does, however show that it can be done. I've read that there is a script called "smbprint" that doesn't appear to be included in Puppy at the moment, and that is used to print using samba. Perhaps this is an avenue to persue.

Pdq ..
What a pity the documentation is sparse and makes assumptions as to what you know. I read that someone successfully used it to print to a network printer that was directly connected to a router .. once again, promising.

Can't help thinking this has something to do with "host" and "printcap / printrc" files as well.

Any more ideas?

GS

ftgs

Ken Gundry

network printers

#5 Post by Ken Gundry »

I cracked the network printer problem yesterday, assuming the printer on a (Windows) network has a name. At the command prompt, type "ping printername" (<cntl>C to stop the display!). The response will reveal a string of numbers, and those are what should be entered in Xpdq as the interface options remote host, not the printer's name nor the name of the server.

The programs that come with Puppy Linux appear to have provision for one printer only, the default (addressed as lp or lpr I think). Is there any way to make them offer options? I have a B&W and a color printer available, and need to be able to choose between them.

Finally, deriving from an earlier message in the string, wvdial does not appear in the Pupget list that I see (Puppy Linux v.1.04). Where can I find it?

Ken Gundry

Alucard_the_dex

#6 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Lexmark seems to be a popular brand and offers a linux development kit for drivers

http://lexmark.com/

its in the drivers and downloads area if you um cant find it lol
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

Alucard_the_dex wrote:Lexmark seems to be a popular brand and offers a linux development kit for drivers
As far as I know Lexmark has a dismal track for linux support. Apparently not too many people are activelly using the development kit.

So, if you are not a driver developer, check if there are stable drivers already before deciding to buy Lexmark. I have a multifuncition lexmark, the printer is working through a compatible printer driver but the scanner and copier are not supported yer.

edoc

#8 Post by edoc »

rarsa wrote: I have a multifuncition lexmark, the printer is working through a compatible printer driver but the scanner and copier are not supported yer.
Is the model you have currently on the market?

Is the color output good enough for photos, business cards, small posters, etc?

Are the cartridges refillable -- or reasonably priced?

I am getting desperate to solve my Puppy color printer problem!

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

There are many good printers that work with Linux. Go to http://www.linuxprinting.org and check the support for the printers sold at your local computerstore.

I would not recommend using any the Lexmark. My printer works perfectly in color, but it's with a hacked print driver and as I said before, the scanner does not work at all in Linux.

There are some Epson and HP that are very well supported. Actually, if you check the list of printers in the Printer wizard you'll know that they are supported. Just compare the printer you like agains the corresponding linuxprinting.org review.

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

rarsa wrote:There are many good printers that work with Linux. Go to http://www.linuxprinting.org and check the support for the printers sold at your local computerstore.

I would not recommend using any the Lexmark. My printer works perfectly in color, but it's with a hacked print driver and as I said before, the scanner does not work at all in Linux.

There are some Epson and HP that are very well supported. Actually, if you check the list of printers in the Printer wizard you'll know that they are supported. Just compare the printer you like agains the corresponding linuxprinting.org review.
I have tried that with two printers and neither has worked properly. The Epson C84 printed light and colors were off, the HP DJ-600C didn't print at all.

Perhaps I will pick up a couple of printers, one Epson and one HP and see which one works.

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

aahhaaa

#11 Post by aahhaaa »

The relatively huge number of looks (407 right now) at this very recent post says something about how big a problem this is.

I'd suggest, as there seem to be something like 40 million Linux users worldwide, and the multi-function printer/scanner/fax/OCR machine driver is a complex and model-dependent creation, that we consider whether it is really our job to come up with the software.

I'm imagining an email campaign to say, Lexmark... 'Dear Sirs: I am returning this printer because it does not have Linux capability.' EOL

How many returned printers would it take before they got their engineering staffs on the stick? Those guys could handshake a printer in a week or less; assuming there was a standard interface in Linux.

Open Office'ing, GIMP graphics, desktop publishing, all sorts of realworld activities are hamstrung by inadequate printer support. Printer support should come from printer suppliers, or there will always be a serious lag in Linux usability, if we have to wait for a model to come out before drivers are written.

Most of the gurufolks posting here are 'pure' OS enthusiasts, and drivers aren't their thing. The mainstreamer considering using Linux will want productivity on a printer, or pass on by.

Its a problem.

edoc

#12 Post by edoc »

aahhaaa wrote:The relatively huge number of looks (407 right now) at this very recent post says something about how big a problem this is.
422 and counting at the moment ...

Bought a HP 4215 multi-function printer-fax-scan device today. Figured I could get the color printer working, some of the other features work without the pc, and the rest will wait (or I can access them via my old Win98 laptop).

HP sent me here for a driver: http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml

The device is not even listed but I am in hopes that the 4100-series driver will work on the 4200 series.

Any thoughts as to the steps I need to take to get a HP driver into Puppy?

Do I use the "alien package" selection in 1.0.6 AptGet?

Sure would be good to have an interactive DotPup into which one enters the HP printer model and it grabs the closest one and loads it -- same as the network card app.

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Auda

#13 Post by Auda »

I cracked the network printer problem yesterday, assuming the printer on a (Windows) network has a name. At the command prompt, type "ping printername" (<cntl>C to stop the display!). The response will reveal a string of numbers, and those are what should be entered in Xpdq as the interface options remote host, not the printer's name nor the name of the server.
Hmm, my printer shows in LinNeighborhood as " brother " but if I try and ping it I get " host unknown " I know that it is attached to 192.168.1.1 on lp1 but using 192,168.1.1 in xpdq doesnt work.
What name are you pinging ?

Auda

dewdrop

Printing

#14 Post by dewdrop »

I recently bought a Canon iP1500 printer. I tried using the install method I worked on with Rarsa......CUPS....(Solution finally here)...without success.....so I visited the following site: http://www.turboprint.info/

I did the install outlined on their website and the Canon iP1500 jumped into life.....albeit with an ad on every page printed, requesting that the user purchase a license key for 29.95 Euro (Approximately $39 US).

I will continue trying Rarsa's solution to see if I can get that to work.....experimenting is good for the soul....if you have the time...:)

I'm currently using Puppy 1.0.6 from CD into RAM.

Dewdrop

drewmeister

Printing

#15 Post by drewmeister »

HELP! Where have I gone wrong? I run the print wizard in Puppy 1.0.6, both Live CD & Multisession, and when I send anything to the printer I get an error that it can not find a library. But the lib is THERE on the CD and in ramdisk. Someone please offer me a clue.

quiliro

lexmark 5000

#16 Post by quiliro »

Hello.

I am trying to use lexmark 5000 inkjet. As far as I have investigated there is a ghostcript driver for it available but it is not in puppylinux 1.0.7 (gs -h doesn't show lx5000). Is there a way I can update the pdq drivers in puppylinux?

Thanks

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

I wrote a brief appraisal of IJ printers here:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=6802
based on personal experience.
Shame I didn't get around to penning it earlier, which might have helped some of the folks above. Sorry.

quiliro

matrix printer

#18 Post by quiliro »

Thanks sage for your repply about the inkjet.

I am trying to configure an Epson LX300 printer. Is there a way to do it without CUPS?

Thanks.
Quiliro