Fatdog64-500 final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-500 final

#1 Post by kirk »

EDIT: Fatdog64-510 is now in testing. The Nvidia and ATI Catalyst pets for version 500 have been moved into the "old" folder.

Jamesbond and myself are announcing Fatdog64-500 final.

This is a complete 64 bit build with the T2 trunk:

Xorg 7.5
GCC 4.4.3
Cups 1.4.2
Gimp 2.6.8
FireFox 3.6.6
Kino 1.3.4
HandBrake snv 2/2010
Ripperx 2.7.2
openbox / Lxpanel
linux-2.6.34
Blackberry modem support for Verizon.
Xine-UI 0.99.6
libxine 1.1.18.1
x11vnc
TightVNC-viewer
Pidgin 2.7.0
Lots of other stuff!

Xorg auto configures itself and the default keyboard is "US" and the default timezone is gmt -5. You can change these in the setup menu. The old xorgwizard is still there, renamed xorgwizard-old. If you want a detailed xorg.conf go to Menu - Setup - Xorg Video Wizard.
Firefox (see note) runs as user spot, anything you download goes into the Downloads folder on the desktop. At the first shutdown, after making your save file, you'll be asked if you want to move the Downloads folder to the same place as your save file. Most will want to answer yes to that.
Fatdog64-500 uses many scripts from Woof, but Fatdog64 is not built using Woof due to Fatdog being 64bit.

Changes since alpha2:

* Grub fixed
* Full hd install fixed
* PDF printer fixed
* Gimp crashing (hopefully) fixed
* recompiled GTK for Gimp problem.
* upgrade libxine and Xine-UI
* add Xine-UI plug-in for Firefox
* Various other small bug fixes

Changes since Alpha3:

* Firewall fixed
* Petget fixed
* DVDs play when clicked on.
* Removed the "Do you want to unmount" message when you click on a mounted partition.
* Xine now runs as user spot.

Changes since Alpha 4:

* USB printing hopefully fixed (Thanks Jamesbond).
* Firefox upgraded to 3.6.2.
* Kernel 2.6.33.1.
* AUFS enabled for NFS.
* Save file switched from ext2 to ext3.
* NFS file sharing app added.
* Many other small bugs fixes.

Changes since Beta 1:

* Fixed rxvt screen color.
* Move Nouveau stuff to a pet package.
* Update kernel to 2.6.32.2.
* Update Firefox to 3.6.3.
* Grabed Barry's updated rc.shutdown and init scripts out of quirky 018 and merge the changes.
* Add dvb-apps from linuxtv.
* Apply jamesbond's openbox menu fix.
* Update home web page with new links.
* Point the Puppy Package Manager to Fatdog's repo.
* Recompile SDL libs.
* Update to xf86-input-synaptics-1.2.2
* Update to xf86-video-intel-2.11.0
* Update to xf86-video-nv-2.1.17
* Update Vala to 0.8.x svn.
* Add Vala-IDE to devx.

Changes since Beta 2:

* Added pppoe.
* Fixed package manager.
* Fixed xwin, xorgwizard not ran every boot.
* Fixed Ayttm.
* Upgrade xf86-video-ati to 6.13.0.
* Recompiled dialog and fixed terminfo.
* Fixed multi-session install.
* Fixed USB install. (syslinux and mtools)
* Added some extra options to the boot help.msg.
* Fixed time setting in rc.country.
* Fixed the noram option in the initrd.gz.
* Upgrade JWM to 490 (JWM still not recommended).
* Replaced grub with a static version, removed the 32bit libraries required for grub.

Changes since Beta 3 (including rc1 & rc2)

* ALSA fixes.
* Added Blinky with some extra right-click options
* Replaced Ayttm with Pidgin.
* /etc/profile - fix path for qt3/qt4
* Fix for pycairo and pygtk.
* Fix /usr/share/mime.
* Fix PDF printer problem with user spot.
* Fix Package manager.
* Removed symlink in main sfs that was hiding Python.
* Upgrade kernel to 2.6.34
* Upgrade Firefox to 3.6.4rc
* Replaced xcal with calcoo.
* Replaced Xarchive with Xarchiver
* Lots of other fixes.

Changes since rc3:

* Firefox updated to 3.6.6
* ffmpeg updated to 0.6
* Kino updated to 1.3.4
* Updated x264
* Added sox 14.3.1
* Added libvpx-0.9.1
* More fixes

I've uploaded the iso, devx, sources and all extra packages built with T2 here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ns/fatdog/

or

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ns/fatdog/

The T2-packs folder contains all the binary packages the T2 build produced, many not included in the iso.

*Note: The goal for Fatdog is to have web applications run as a non-privileged user. Not in the traditional sense where you log in as a non-privileged user and all of your personnel files are accessible by that user as well. But we log in as root for convenience and in recognition that your personal files are just as important as system files, in fact much more important. Applications that access the internet, Firefox, Xine, Sylpheed, and Pidgin all run as user spot. Spot can only write to a few limited places. Given the lack of virus/trojan attacks for linux type systems this is probably paranoia, but this setup causes little inconvenience for the extra security.
Last edited by kirk on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:35, edited 3 times in total.

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

I need to update the screen shot above, I'll do that soon.

Also, Firefox will complain about Flash being out of date. It does have the latest 64bit Flash that Adobe released. We'll probably be posting a pet package with a wrapped 32bit Flash, which will require the 32bit sfs to be installed, for those who want it.

chrome307

#3 Post by chrome307 »

Thanks for this!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I can't find a way to tell Firefox to put its cache in /tmp, so it doesn't grow like Topsy. Any hints?

tronkel

#5 Post by tronkel »

Flash wrote:
I can't find a way to tell Firefox to put its cache in /tmp, so it doesn't grow like Topsy. Any hints?
I had a go at creating a symlink called Cache within my Firefox profile that pointed to /tmp/Cache. This didn't work because the next time Firefox is started, the symlink gets overwritten by a real directory, also called Cache and so the cache then starts its growth cycle once more.

As another approach, I then entered about:config in the address bar and toggled the setting browser.cache.disk.enable to false.

This disables all caching to disk and doesn't seem to do any harm as far as I can tell.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

Kirk and Jamesbond,

Kudos :D :D :D :D :D

The fastest pup yet and it set up flawlessly and runs fine.

Still a few concerns:

I tried these pets from your site, fbreader, nvidia 256.2, and p7zip and all failed to install.

I am booting up these 5 sfs, could any of these be causing the above failure?
fd64-32bit-libs-3.sfs
fd64-devx_500.sfs
jre160_amd64-3.sfs
wine-1.2-rc5-i486-4.sfs
go-oo_32_amd64-3.sfs (Works good, however, has a strange behavior, when clicking on a file, writer opens with a blank page, however the document open properly with File/Open. Also, nothing showed up in menu, so all the desktop files had to be edited.)

EDIT: Tried a number of other pets from your site and none can be installed.

Thanks again,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 06 Jul 2010, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

#8 Post by tronkel »

Running well on my AMD64.

My Brother DCP7030 printer/scanner gets recognised OK by CUPS.
Scanning is fine. Printer installs OK but won't print (USB printer).

It looks like there is some problem with permissions here. Anyone had a similar problem?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Nooblet0218

#9 Post by Nooblet0218 »

sweet, i'll be switching to this on my amd 64 laptop

Nooblet0218

#10 Post by Nooblet0218 »

Ok so far most things seem to be good. I had to load a module for my wireless card (b43) but other than that everything seems to be fine. Now I'm having one problem trying to install my favorite music player goggles music manager (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=406391). I tried using the .pet that worked fine for me in lucid puppy but i would get something like this when i tried to run gmm in terminal:

Code: Select all

bash: /usr/bin/gmm: No such file or directory
I'm not really sure what the problem is... something is not in the same directory as it was in the other puppy. Any idea what it could be? or are other puppy .pets not compatible with fatdog?

I could go ahead an install the program from source (i don't have a very good track record when compiling from source though) but i need to download libFOX first.

jamesbond

#11 Post by jamesbond »

Nooblet0218, Fatdog64 is a 64-bit operating system. It's the only puppy with 64-bit architecture. Most of the software packages out there are targeted for mainstream puppies (lucid puppy, dpup, quirky, wary, puppeee, nop, and many others), which are 32-bit, thus it will not work directly under Fatdog64 (except those software which are script-only).

If you really want to run standard puppy pet packages (32-bit software), Fatdog64 comes with 32-bit compatibility library (taken from Quirky). It's under fd64-32bit-libs.sfs which you can get from the SFS/500 directory under Fatdog distribution site. Bear in mind that if possible, it's always preferable to run native 64-bit software. The 32-bit library is a stopgap measure - no guarantee that it will work for all stadnard puppy packages! Note that some software that uses GTK/Pango needs to be started with "start32" command otherwise you'll see funny things.

Tronkel, I have an USB printer as well (Epson TX100), it gets recognised and it prints ok. It would be help to go see what's inside the Error Log (under Administration tab). If there isn't enough clue, you may need to edit the Config file (also under Admin tab) and change the loglevel from "info" to "debug".

Jim1911, can you try booting (with a new save file) with only go-oo as the SFS? (of course after ensuring that the md5sum all matches). I'm running with go-oo and don't have that issue, but I did have a similar issue (the OO icons are not showing in the start menu) which resolves itself after a while (that is, after I installed a few pets, install/remove sfs), so I suspect it may be related to aufs layering.

Also, when you say the pets cannot be installed - do you mean that they install but cannot be used, or that they don't show up in the menu, or they do show up in the menu but do nothing when you try to execute them? Do you download them directly from the pets/500 site, or do you use the package manager?

For Lobster - If you try this, Lob, please re-download the openshot pet. This final comes with updated ffmpeg and you need the new openshot - the old one will not work. And oh yes the package manager still shows white on yellow - I think we fixed the other window, but not this one, missed it :(

EDIT: I've attached the hotfix for the white-on-yellow screen for package manager.

EDIT: attached the hotfix for alsawizard (gives warning before it runs the real alsawizard and screw up your system)

cheers!
Attachments
hotfix-0.2-alsawizard.pet
Gives warning before running the actual alsawizard
(969 Bytes) Downloaded 2258 times
hotfix-0.1-ppm.pet
Fix for white-on-yellow background for ppm. Once installed, please do not uninstall.
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 2417 times
Last edited by jamesbond on Mon 19 Jul 2010, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sit Heel Speak

Two problems with Fatdog64 final

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Great job so far,...but...

1. Puppy Package Manager...the necessary initial step, Update the repositories database...radeon driver, using a Radeon HD 4550 video card...the wget screen is white text on yellow background; I had to highlight the whole thing using the mouse in order to read it and therefore know to press Enter twice. Hmm, pressing Enter twice creates two (redundant) identical puppy-fd64 repository listings in the main PPM screen, when only one is needed.

2. Firefox Namoroka in the rc3 version does not have the following problem:

Firefox Namoroka in Fatdog64 final will not download to anywhere but the designated Download directory, even if in Edit / Preferences / General I tell it to "Always ask me where to save files". I get the error message:
<name of file> could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.
opera-10.60-6386.x86_64.linux.tar.bz2 (downloaded from opera.com as distribution-and-vendor="Other (tar)" and default package format, and installed from the unpacked .tar using ./install, to /usr/local) does not suffer the limitation of being able to download only to "Download".

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

Sit Heel Speak,

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :)

Firefox runs as user spot by default and user spot can only write to a few places. When you installed Opera you ran it as root, so it can write anywhere. You can run firefox as root by opening a terminal and typing firefox or go to /usr/bin and drag firefox to the desktop, then click on it.

Sit Heel Speak

#14 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

kirk wrote:Sit Heel Speak,

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :)

Firefox runs as user spot by default and user spot can only write to a few places...
Ah, of course :roll:

Sit Heel Speak

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Verified: by making a clone of firefox-spot

#!/bin/sh
PARAMS="$@"

chown -R spot /root/spot/Downloads

su spot -c "/usr/local/bin/opera-10.60 $PARAMS"
I can make Opera behave the same way.

I was seeing an error (when starting opera-spot from console commandline):

(<unknown>:14356): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to read filechooser settings from "/root/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini": Permission denied
but, copying the subdir .config from /root to ~/spot solved this. Prolly just need to copy the gtk-2.0 subdir of /root/.config over into a subdir /root/spot/.config.

Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:Jim1911, can you try booting (with a new save file) with only go-oo as the SFS? (of course after ensuring that the md5sum all matches). I'm running with go-oo and don't have that issue, but I did have a similar issue (the OO icons are not showing in the start menu) which resolves itself after a while (that is, after I installed a few pets, install/remove sfs), so I suspect it may be related to aufs layering.

Also, when you say the pets cannot be installed - do you mean that they install but cannot be used, or that they don't show up in the menu, or they do show up in the menu but do nothing when you try to execute them? Do you download them directly from the pets/500 site, or do you use the package manager?
Fresh installation with new iso. OpenOffice applications do not show up in menu even after the desktop files were edited to include complete path for both the icon and exec. I copied over the desktop files from /opt/openoffice.org3/share/xdg and edited them. Although the symlinked files would execute the program, they would not show up in menu and there were no icons so I just deleted them.

The pets were downloaded from the default home page link. The same error (see desktop photo) is present regardless of pet selected. Ppm opens but does not contain any repository information so that's not a download option. I did successfully install a numlockx.pet that I already had on my computer.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

Wognath

Fails to boot

#17 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
I'm interested in trying this new puppy on my VIA Nano laptop. However, the boot proceeds as far as "loading kernel modules", then the screen goes black. I'll appreciate any suggestions to try. Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Does the VIA Nano have a 64-bit processor? If not, I don't think it can run Fatdog Puppy.

Have you tried booting a live CD of Fatdog in this machine?

kirk

#19 Post by kirk »

Jim1911,

Make sure that you download the pet package and then click on it. If you try to run petget from Firefox, petget will be ran as user spot and won't be able to install anything. To use the package manager, you'll need to click on "Configure package manager" and then "Update now" to download a new package list.

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911, that's very odd, I can't replicate the problem over here. Yes I have missing icons on the go-oo, but the menu (the text) always shows up fine.

EDIT: the icon problem can by solved by running update-gtk-icon-cache, so it's not aufs layering problem.

EDIT: kirk's reply is more appropriate for the PPM and pet problem :) - he posted when I was still typing

Wognath, I checked, VIA Nano seems to support x86_64, so it should work. I suspect yours if more of a video problem. Can you tell me what graphics chip in your laptop?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]