SmartLink 56k PCI no longer supported by Puppy?

2byte

SmartLink 56k PCI no longer supported by Puppy?

#1 Post by 2byte »

Puppy 4.4 and 5.0 will not recognize this modem. No trace of ungrabwinmodem, slamr, or slmodemd anymore.

Is there a package available for the latest Puppies that will enable this modem?

Thanks

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

2byte,
The analog modem support has not kept up with the advance to newer linux kernels. Puppy 5 and Quirky omit them because the drivers have not been updated for kernels after 2.6.30.5. The latest puppy that has such modem support is Wary 0.3. So give that a try.

As a fallback, try puppy 4.3.1 and install a set of upgrade packages downloadable from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 236#388236
That would create the same level of modem support as in Wary.

Barry (our guru) has been working on modem drivers for newer kernels, but has not released them yet, I believe.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yes, I have compiled Smartlink drivers with the 2.6.34 kernel.

Future puppies will likely be using this kernel, including Lucid Puppy. Also my Spup (Slack Puppy) will have this kernel -- expect that in a couple of days -- watch my blog.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

2byte

#4 Post by 2byte »

I'm very happy to hear that Puppy will continue it's outstanding analog modem support in the future. Speaking for myself, this has always been one of Puppy's strongest features. I was afraid that Puppy was starting to go the way of other modern Linuces that have practically abandoned dial-up modems. I realize that Puppy is designed as a 'personal' computer but it is also a very good OS for SOHO, and fax modems are used almost daily.

bopapu

#5 Post by bopapu »

sorry am new to the forum I will delete my question and create a topic not yet know delete post

FrankA

#6 Post by FrankA »

SmartLink 56k PCI no longer supported by Puppy 5.1?

I got slmodem running with just typing
slmodemd -c GERMANY --alsa
in puppy 5.1 and all worked.

above question (with ver. 5.1 mentioned) is clarifying your issue better. :wink:

Frank Cox

Why Bother?

#7 Post by Frank Cox »

I got the agere modem in my m275 Gateway TabletPc to work with Wary 060 . I just bought a brand new USRobotics -Creative Labs serial/hardware modem for 20 bucks delivered with the USB adapter included so except for a laptop it makes no sense to me to spend the sometimes enormous amounts of time required to get dialup to work on one distro when for 20.00 , or at the most, 50.00 for a USRobotics USB modem {the small one for laptops} you can buy a modem that will work on any Liniux distro with a 5 minute or less set up.
After this last effort of mine I have had enough so I have purchased 2 new serial modems and one generic USB modem they claim works on Linux to go with my 2 USRobotics 33.6 Sporster faxmodems I flashed to v.92 .

bijendra

smartlink netodragon modem 10b9:5459

#8 Post by bijendra »

puppy 4.3.1 automatic recognition by pupdial.
ttysl0 automatic else probe could find in pupdial otherwise #slmodemd in console.
#wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf in console also recognize
somtimes need
#slmodemd in console

Diamond

#9 Post by Diamond »

Unfortunatelly many modems was abandoned,and last supported by puppy 4.3.1. My Lucent modem,too. :(

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

Diamond wrote:Unfortunatelly many modems was abandoned,and last supported by puppy 4.3.1. My Lucent modem,too. :(
Really? The Lucents are supported by both wary (but maybe not the latest) and lucid pup lupuplus*.
FrankA wrote:SmartLink 56k PCI no longer supported by Puppy 5.1?

I got slmodem running with just typing
slmodemd -c GERMANY --alsa
in puppy 5.1 and all worked.
The slmodemd is logically independent from "SmartLink modems" in that is also supports sound card (ALSA) modems usually built into motherboards. The clue is the "--alsa" argument. SmartLink modems are/were supported by the slamr driver, which I have found no longer works when I tried it with wary 5. I left it out of lupuplus, for that reason, but kept slmodemd for the ALSA modems.
Richard