Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 23:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Puppy 1.0.3 with Xfree86-4.4.0 iso released
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2005, 20:30    Post_subject:  Puppy 1.0.3 with Xfree86-4.4.0 iso released  

I am pleased to announce that last night I uploaded a version based on 1.0.3 with a very cutdown XFree86-4.4.0 Xserver. This is limited to vesa as no other modules\drivers others than those required have been included. The gfx response is alot quicker than using the framebuffer.

To avoid confusion the boot options are 1, 2 and 5 as per standard puppy.

You must type xwin to start the gui interface after booting

Scroll mouse support is not included yet, but it is a simple matter of editing /etc/X11/XF86Config......I'll have to search my notes for the config values

Hopefully this should work on a wide range of machines, the binaries are the ones available directly for the XFree86 sight, precompiled binaries.

The usr_cram.fs is around about 3MB larger than the standard and the ramdisk (image.gz) is 16MB as opposed to 11-12MB but the madwifi drivers have also been included.

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/cd-puppy-XFree86-4.4.0-atheros.iso
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2005, 05:53    Post_subject:  

bladehunter, that's great!
I'm keen to download it, problem is, I'm on dialup right now,
a very slow dialup.
I have to go to my daughter's place to access adsl,
so have to wait until Monday Sad
pakt

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 03:56    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 1.0.3 with Xfree86-4.4.0 iso released  

bladehunter wrote:
I am pleased to announce that last night I uploaded a version based on 1.0.3 with a very cutdown XFree86-4.4.0 Xserver. This is limited to vesa as no other modules\drivers others than those required have been included.

Nice work, bladehunter!

Was it difficult to do? Perhaps a similar Xserver could be made for the i810...

XFree86-4.4.0 has built-in support for the i810 graphics chipset family.

I would be willing to give it a try...is it something even a compiling newbie like me could do?

What is needed (compiling environment, source code, etc)?

Alternatively, if you've got a setup to make the vesa version, perhaps it would be a simple matter to replace the vesa modules/drivers with the i810 ones (i810, agpgart, int10 are the ones I know about).

If you need more info, I'm running Kanotix on my Dell 510m laptop. I can check the XFree86 log file to see exactly which modules get loaded.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 05:36    Post_subject:  

I'm pretty sure the vesa driver should work for that chipset.

Are you in a position to give an vesa config a whirl ?
pakt

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 08:40    Post_subject:  

bladehunter wrote:
I'm pretty sure the vesa driver should work for that chipset.

Edited: I haven't actually tried bladehunter's iso since I have a slow dial-up, so I should have written:

It will probably work for the i810, however, I would most likely get the poor resolution that I get with puppy's standard Xvesa, ie 640x480x16 Sad

That is why there is a separate i810 driver included in XFree86-4.4.0. Ref: Release Notes for XFree86[tm] 4.4.0 : Drivers

This i810 driver uses the int10 module to allocate more video memory, then the agpgart module makes it appear as linear memory.

The vesa driver does not use these extra modules which are required for the i810, i810-DC100, i810e, i815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, and 865G chipsets.

Edited_time_total
Glitchman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 23:53    Post_subject: Doesn't work on my Intel 815 chipset :(  

Since I have an Intel 815 chipset, and the standard Puppy gives me very limited video options, I was naturally curious to try this out. As soon as I typed xwin and hit Enter, my screen went red and had lines everywhere. Fearing that it might damage my monitor, I Control-Alt-Backspaced out. No luck here. Sad

Do I have any other options, or does this only work with an Intel 810 chipset?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 01:55    Post_subject: Re: Doesn't work on my Intel 815 chipset :(  

Glitchman wrote:
Since I have an Intel 815 chipset, and the standard Puppy gives me very limited video options, I was naturally curious to try this out. As soon as I typed xwin and hit Enter, my screen went red and had lines everywhere. Fearing that it might damage my monitor, I Control-Alt-Backspaced out. No luck here. Sad

Ditto for me. FIC Sabre 815t.
pakt

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 02:10    Post_subject: Re: Doesn't work on my Intel 815 chipset :(  

Glitchman wrote:
Since I have an Intel 815 chipset <snip>

Glitchman (and Flash), please read my post just above yours about using the i810 driver instead of the vesa driver.

Check this page. It clearly says that the i810 driver supports the i810, i810-DC100, i810e, i815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, and 865G chipsets.

I'm hoping bladehunter can help us out with this as he has managed to get XFree86-4.4.0 (with the vesa driver only) working with puppy. Wink
Glitchman

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun 2005, 02:11    Post_subject: Re: Doesn't work on my Intel 815 chipset :(  

pakt wrote:
Glitchman (and Flash), please read my post just above yours about using the i810 driver instead of the vesa driver.

That's essentially my question: How do I use the i810 driver? All I know is that it's obviously something I must do at the command prompt, since I cannot get into the GUI with xwin.

pakt wrote:
I'm hoping bladehunter can help us out with this as he has managed to get XFree86-4.4.0 (with the vesa driver only) working with puppy. Wink

I will be anxiously awaiting as well. I guess I'll just have to be patient for now. Smile

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun 2005, 03:18    Post_subject:  

Ok guys this may work with a known working XF86Config
(ie another distro you may have used on that machine)

Puppy includes the agpgart kernel module, dunno about the int10 module.

I guess you'd modprobe agpgart first before starting the xserver

copy the known good config to /etc/X11/

untar the tarball to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers

then give it a whirl

Failing that I'll try a , ahem, full install of XFree86 from the binary tarballs on the xfree86.org site

BTW ignore the keymap and font errors it should work fine...well my machine does.......

Oh yeah only try the above with my XFree86 version of puppy
i810_drv.tar.gz
Description  XFree86 4.4.0 i810 driver
gz

Download 
Filename  i810_drv.tar.gz 
Filesize  65.43 KB 
Downloaded  890 Time(s) 
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2005, 12:28    Post_subject:  

Thanks, bladehunter. I've downloaded the driver and am downloading cd-puppy-XFree86-4.4.0-atheros.iso right now using my slooow dial-up. Should have it in 3-4 hours...

I'll get back to you with the results. Keep your fingers crossed. Wink

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 04:09    Post_subject:  

Cool, if you need any additional stuff just let me know, we'll get ya cooking Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 04:18    Post_subject:  

Good luck

How exciting! Smile Really hope it works for you . . .

pakt

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 13:20    Post_subject:  

Progress! We're almost there Smile

It's only running at 640x480x16, but that's because of a (hopefully) small problem.

Checking the XFree86 log, module i810 loads fine. It then loads sub-module int10 OK. Then I get an error:

Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or directory)

I checked and this device is missing in the puppy-XFree86-4.4.0-atheros iso. I compared with Kanotix which does have this device in /dev.

agpgart is the memory manager that 'organizes' the scattered extra memory that int10 has coerced from the BIOS, into linear memory that can be used by the i810 module (Kanotix reports 832KB before agpgart runs - 8MB after agpgart has done its job).

That's what's not happening here - only the pre-allocated 832KB is available, limiting the video mode to 640x480x16.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to 'get' this device. It is a file of 0 bytes...
We're sooo close...anybody know how to fix this Confused

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 15:01    Post_subject:  

did you modprobe agpgart before starting the Xsession ?

I'd assume if that module isn't loaded the device wont be there ?

If that fails start up a known working distro

#ls -l /dev/agpagart

and relay the output
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum