Booting problem: "unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr&q

Booting, installing, newbie
Angela

Booting problem: "unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr&q

#1 Post by Angela »

Hi;

Made my ISO perfectly and downloaded my pup001.zip file and put it into C:\. Inserted the DVD i had the ISO on and loaded puppy. I was able to get the cmdline controls but not X

I got this error message:

Sorry, cannot start X File/usr/X11R6/bin/X missing. If X is supposed to be installed. probably puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr

Sorry for the newbie question but this is my first try to dump Windoze.

Please help,
Angela

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Angela, I have a computer which has two different brands of DVD burners: Emprex 16x and NEC. A 1.0.8r1 multisession DVD-RW boots perfectly in the NEC but when I try to boot it in the Emprex I get a similar error to yours. What brand and model of DVD drive are you using?

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

More info about your system, please; in particular, how much memory? 128Mb is a minimum. Did the md5 checksum check out OK? Did you type xwin at the prompt - sometimes, first time around, it doesn't run this automatically? In extremis, you may need to prepare a boot floppy to get a DOS-style console prompt in WXP and point to your directory where xwin is located?
Avoid proprietary boxes if possible, esp. Dell, as they use unconventional calls and HW. Build one from clone parts - Newegg in the USA, CCL in the UK & Europe. Avoid WXP in NTFS - NTFS is a disaster waiting to happen unless you do all mainline, routine things. There is plenty of help on this Forum for querky NTFS behavior.
There have been many similar problems described here, so it's worth SEARCHING.
Personally, I never mix 'doze and Linux - just invites complications (esp. with NTFS) - although plenty of folks do.
Can you repartition your HD, perhaps for Puppy + swap file/partition? PQMagic, if you don't want to use Linux Qtparted.
Not everyone likes to run live-CDs like Puppy from an HD installation, but I find it more convenient as I have access to plenty of old kit. Maybe you have an old HD (>500Mb would do, initially) to try out Puppy? You could either physically swap this into your box or fit a caddy system (my preference). If you can do the latter, and gather up a load of working, but discarded old HDs, then you could try out lots of distros until you find one you like. However, it's unlikely you'll find a faster one than Puppy. When v2.0 arrives shortly, it could be the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread.

Angela

Replying

#4 Post by Angela »

Dear Flash,
I am using a BTC burner, a cheapie.

Dear Sage;

1) I have 256 MB and MD5 checked out.
2) I am not familiar with PQMagic do you mean Partition Magic?

UH OH, new developement, after 8 prior attempts this time it started up.
Sorry to have not been more persistent.

Thanks,
Angela