Put Desktop Icons on a Launchbar

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
DaveS

Put Desktop Icons on a Launchbar

#1 Post by DaveS »

This .pet will install an autohide launchbar at the top of your screen with the standard desktop icons included. You can then remove the icons from your desktop, but still have them available. The bar is configurable, so you can add your own customisation as required. Tested in 4.3* and Quirky.

It is dead easy to install. First, just run the .pet included here. Then open a terminal/console window, and just type fixmenus and hit 'enter'
Not much will happen. A couple of lines will appear on the screen, then it will stop. Takes about 5 seconds. Close the terminal window.

Go to the menu button at the bottom left of the screen, click it, and select shutdown>restart jwm.

The screen will flash, and voila, your new menubar will be installed and activated. Just move the mouse pointer to the top of your screen, at it will appear.
Attachments
Icontray.pet
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Under The Hood

The .pet just installs a very tiny text file into the /root/ directory called .jwmrc-tray-top, and adds a line to the menu template in /etc/xdg/templates to activate the text file. Running fixmenus configures it, and re-starting JWM makes it available. The file in /root/, .jwmrc-tray-top is a hidden file, so you must set Rox filemanager to show hidden files before you can see it. If you want to change something, just load it into a text editor and go for it. The syntax is easy to follow.
If you make edits and want to test your syntax, save your changes, open a terminal window and type jwm -p
This will check for errors for you.
If you get in a dreadful mess, just re-install the .pet :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tubby

#3 Post by tubby »

Nice one Dave, just installed it in my own dpup build and it works a treat.

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

have a look at menu>desktop>change window manager>flwm {as opposed to jwm} in puppeeerc5 or fluppy03. it has all the icons along the top.

bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

Does Quirky 1.00 use JWM? (I know it might seem a dumb question, but I thought it used something else)
Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

bones01 wrote:Does Quirky 1.00 use JWM? (I know it might seem a dumb question, but I thought it used something else)
Bones
Certainly Q1.2(latest release) is JWM. Maybe some of the earlier beta releases did not?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#7 Post by James C »

I no longer have Quirky 1.00 installed (moved up to 1.20) but I seem to remember that Quirky 1.00 used Openbox/Fbpanel as default window manager.
HTH.

stu90

#8 Post by stu90 »

yes im pretty sure Quirky 1 was Openbox/Fbpanel