Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dejan555

#41 Post by dejan555 »

TEXT SELECTION TIPS:

If you only highlight text with mouse you can then paste it with middle click.
On laptops you can press both buttons together instead middleclick.
This should work for copying/pasting from and to terminal too.
For pasting into terminal you can also use shift+insert shortcut.
In some terminal emulators you can do "rectangular text select" if you hold ctrl+alt then drag.
What's more interesting is you can use rectangular select in geany too!

Glipper/Parcellite and other clipper utilities are usefull too get used to them - you can usually set them to use primary selection too (text highlight only) when remembering items and specify how much items they can remember.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

chrome307

#42 Post by chrome307 »

Thanks dejan555 for those tips :)

pri

unlimited pupsave

#43 Post by pri »

this is just simple trick for unlimited pupsave :D

just move a folder then linked to original , i recomended /mnt/home. if you plan to save a system folder, make sure /mnt/home is a linux partition. if not, symlink will deleted when install.

i use it to install windows program file, /mnt/home/.wine link to /root/.wine

tested on wine not tested on linux system :D
edited :D

sorry look like there is an other similar :D
ah deleted there is my empty post, just let it be :D
Learning by Doing

bones01

learning GRUB

#44 Post by bones01 »

I learned today that when editing the menu.lst in GRUB, the # symbol at the front of a line means that GRUB doesn't read it.

menu.lst makes more sense now.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#45 Post by bones01 »

Winetricks brings up an impossibly sized screen. To scroll along, hold alt-click and move along. Resize the screen as normal if needed.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

potong

#46 Post by potong »

This is not a trick as such but rather "thinking outside the box" or should I say "thinking inside the box"!

Long ago I bought a 3-in-1 Lexmark printer/scanner. This works fine in windows but it could not be persuaded to work in Linux. I contacted Lexmark but they would/could not provide drivers for this model. So the 3-in-1 sat on the desk and dried up (BTW ink cartridges for this model were exorbitant).
Fast forward a few years: I am now using Puppy and I have a need to scan some documents but no scanner available. Well the 3-in-1 has a scanner but how to connect it to puppy?
I already have VirtualBox installed (for testing out new pups) so I popped in an old win2000 setup disk, created a win2000 virtual machine, applied the VirtualBox Additions to allow seamless desktop, installed the Lexmark printer/scanner software and then setup a shared folder between puppy and the virtual win2000 machine.
Now, with just a few clicks, I can use the scanner again and if need be the printer.
One proviso: the version of VirtualBox has to be the non-open source one because the 3-in-1 is connected via USB.

HTH

Potong

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

I discovered the same thing. Inkjet printers are the worst way to go unless you print a lot. If you don't, the ink dries out between uses. Expensive bummer. Laser printers are a better choice if you only print occasionally. They use dry toner powder, which should have a shelf life of pretty much forever.

Most of us these days have a digital camera with resolution high enough to make a dandy substitute for a scanner if your standards aren't too high. :)

If necessary, you can put the paper under a piece of glass or plastic to flatten it. Arrange things so the light source is far enough to the side of the camera that the reflection of the light source doesn't show in the picture.

potong

#48 Post by potong »

The Problem:

You want to print something off the web but you don't want to print adverts/sidebars/headers/footers etc.

If you're using Seamonkey, go to File/Edit Page, then in the new window, highlight the text or area you want to print and either copy or cut it.

Open a new composer page from File/New Composer Page and paste in you selection.

Continue copying/cutting until you have all the details you want and either save or print the result.

Bookmarklets are another way to go or if your a firefox person investigate Greasemonkey and/or Firebug.

HTH

Potong

p.s. Another excellent addon is Scrapbook for offline reading and it also includes a wysiwyg html page formatter

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

→ °¿°
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

efiguy

Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't

#50 Post by efiguy »

Hi Group,

- In working on building a simple streaming TV PC to scanconverter, found that discovering the streaming url is somewhat difficult. There is much software to purchase, but I need to do this on the cheap, and all the urls seem to obfusicate the sources.
- So I put this methodology file together, as a "how to" - but actually looking for easier suggestions, or sources of any better techniques - [only 143 more urls to scan, if live long enough ;) ]

Thanks,
Jay
Attachments
FindingTV_stream_urls.ZIP
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 638 times

chrome307

#51 Post by chrome307 »

Thanks Lobster for those special characters :)

don570

jwm modifications

#52 Post by don570 »

If you want a way to quickly launch the terminal...
Type in terminal

Code: Select all

geany /root/.jwmrc-tray
Insert this new line in the appropriate section

<TrayButton popup="Run Terminal" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
choose 'Restart JWM' at the menu
Test by clicking on new icon in tray

I made a few other changes and the section now looks like

<!--	<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> 
	<TrayButton popup="Choose Default Browser" icon="www24.png">exec:browser-default</TrayButton>
	<TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton>-->
	<TrayButton popup="Run Terminal" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
	<TrayButton popup="Run mhWaveEdit" icon="mini-record.xpm">exec:mhwaveedit</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>

Now there is now 3 icons for quick launch. Terminal, mhWaveEdit
and Show Desktop
Last edited by don570 on Mon 26 Jul 2010, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

don570

e3 text editor

#53 Post by don570 »

Practice using terminal text editor e3
It could be useful if desktop doesn't come up when booting.

Start by opening a new file

e3 /root/file_name.txt
or just

e3 file_name.txt
To quit the program is the hardest part of program
ctrl-k then ctrl-q
You will be asked to save the document.

PeacebyJesus

#54 Post by PeacebyJesus »

potong wrote:The Problem:

You want to print something off the web but you don't want to print adverts/sidebars/headers/footers etc.
r
Or L. click before the point that you want to begin copying, then go to where you want to end and hold down the Shift key and L. click again. And if you want to eliminate pictures, etc, then go to your word processor and under Edit, choose Paste special (or unformatted text.) I use OpenOffice, and R. click on a Toolbar and choose customize Toolbar, and then hit Keyboard and then i change keyboard shortcuts so that a key such as F2 will launch paste special.
Last edited by PeacebyJesus on Wed 11 Aug 2010, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

ken geometrics

Re: e3 text editor

#55 Post by ken geometrics »

don570 wrote:Practice using terminal text editor e3
It could be useful if desktop doesn't come up when booting.

Start by opening a new file

e3 /root/file_name.txt
or just

e3 file_name.txt
To quit the program is the hardest part of program
ctrl-k then ctrl-q
You will be asked to save the document.
I use words to remember what the key strokes are

^K-B = blocK Begin
^K-E = blocK End
^K-C = blocK Copy
^K-M = blocK Move
^K-Q = blocK Quit

It is actually in many ways a good editor because the commands can all be done without moving your hands off the keyboard. When you select a block text, it says "yes sir that text is to be selected". It doesn't turn off the selection when you move the cursor etc. There is none of that "the editor knows better than the user" in the programmers mind.

Hotdog

For us mouse-centric users

#56 Post by Hotdog »

Using your mouse to launch a program that just doesn't run the way you expect? Or, one that when clicked on seems to do nothing at all?

Try running it from a terminal and it will probably give an error message that you can use to start tracking down the problem.

vovchik

#57 Post by vovchik »

Dear efiguy,

If you want to disambiguate streams, have a look at this pet I posted about a month ago http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73104.

With kind regards,
vovchik

banger0250

Remove ROX-Puppy-Pin

#58 Post by banger0250 »

This is just to stop the ROX pupypin from starting up on the desktop. I needed this to play around with wbar && conky/lua. Open up your .xinitrc in a text editor and comment out these lines.

#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
#/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

#w468 on old PCs this sometimes does not start, see further down...
#if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
#rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
#else
#rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
#fi
Taking pup for a walk

amigo

#59 Post by amigo »

When preparing avocado slices, don't try to peel the avocado and then slice it. Instead, slice with the skin still on -it's easy to remove the skin from the slices afterward.

trapster

#60 Post by trapster »

amigo - nothing easier than a big metal spoon to get the skin off an avocado :)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog