Puppy School for Beginners

Booting, installing, newbie
edoc

#21 Post by edoc »

Welcome to the wonderful world or Puppy Linux.

What sort of computer and computing tasks do you plan for your Puppy?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#22 Post by edoc »

Is there a newer version than the initial 4.2.1 release?

I have a problem with my wired/wireless network connection not talking to my Internet apps and though maybe I could load a slightly newer version and it would fix what I broke.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

MOURAFA

file manager

#23 Post by MOURAFA »

Mamado wrote:Olá amigos !

Parabéns por esse excelente S.O.

Aqui vai meu Puppy personalizado, rodando em um PIII 650MHz / 256MB Ram / HD 30GB:

Full img:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8965/d ... ydomam.jpg

Uma grande abraço à todos,

Mamado
from Brasil
Mamado, seu PUPPY personalizado parece bem legal.

Qual o gerencidor de arquivos que vc usa? Tem algum file manager mais convencional que se possa adicionar?

Acabei de experimentar o "4.2.1" original e, sem ter tempo ainda de explorá-lo todo ou suas possibilidades de download, não gostei do filemanager default - tenho dúvidas se vai funcionar para pessoas limitadas - eu buscava algo mais parecido com o file manager mais convencional, como usado em outras distribuições. Tenho uma certa experiencia com o "Damn Small Linux (DSL)" e lá tem um file manager "emelFM" pequeno e ainda assim bem eficiente, poderoso e amigavel.

abçs e obrigado pela atenção

Brdog

Firewall help

#24 Post by Brdog »

Hallo all,
Spent sevaral days tryin to finds firewalls info and hads no luck, evans had friends trys.
Woulds some ones offer where it alls cans bes founds , be s so ahppys for these helps -- Loves Pupps

tanks alls
brdog

enhu

#25 Post by enhu »

is this stable now?

wuxiandianzi

Re: Welcome to Puppy 4.3

#26 Post by wuxiandianzi »

tarustraveller

Puppy 4.3.1

#27 Post by tarustraveller »

I have just tried 4.3.1 and it works. It also dialed out on my LG TU550 mobile phone through the Next G network here in Oz. Fantastic. I will now use it instead of Mint L. And best of all....its Australian.
Cheers
Tarustraveller

SickPuppy

so...

#28 Post by SickPuppy »

Would a 4.3 disc load my 2fs file off my usb stick, or would I have to make a new one?

wyq012

#29 Post by wyq012 »

Yeah. It’s good to be yourself. Same with you, I will try to do something. So I support your decision!

killbill

thank,you

#30 Post by killbill »

thank,you for the welcome
puppy linux get's better ever day.

regards, killbill

je_dryst04

#31 Post by je_dryst04 »

What can a puppy do? Is there a puppy for Windows XP?

Jasper

#32 Post by Jasper »

Dear Developers, Moderators, Lobster and other supporters and all readers,

After upgrade from 4.0.6 then reinstall of 5.0.0 and just one week of testing I am truly delighted with Lucid Puppy.

My/our unstinting thanks and congratulations go to all contributors. My computing knowledge is poor, but I can appreciate stability, excellence and attention to minute detail.

Lobster, thank you for your introduction in this thread and for your screen background which I have used in the picture below:

I deliberately put my download, data and Windows/Wine folders outside of the Puppy system, but I observed that when I used quickpet to install Java that the Java folder was also placed outside the main system.

I made a frugal install on my hard drive though when I did an automatic upgrade from 4.0.6 (using a 5.0.0 CD) everything apparently worked perfectly, but my free MB dropped to 440 MB - so I did a fresh install and that (for some reason) saved about 300 MB.

I have a few minor queries, but this thread is not the place for asking questions. However, might this be an ideal spot to maintain information or pointers to keep lupu users up-to-date with major developments?

My regards and joyous barks

PS I can easily copy and paste everything (or just my lupusave file) from my Puppy partition to another folder in the same partition or to another partition on the same drive or to another drive. So I can pre-test any "daring for me" changes and/or have a backup/clone.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 27 May 2010, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

enhu

#33 Post by enhu »

what kernel version is used in puppy5?

cbs

Need drivers for Lupu 501

#34 Post by cbs »

I have a Compaq Armada M300:- 600 MHz, 320 MB Ram, 10GB hdd
I am using a PCMCIA wireless network card: EZ connect SMC2632Wv2
Its has both Windoze XP and a Poor man's install of Puppy Linux 4.3.1. Everything worked fine on my old notebook.
Downloaded Lupu 5.0.1 recently... but it did not detect my wireless card.
Does this mean that 4.3.1 will be the final version of Puppu Linux for this computer?

01micko

Re: Need drivers for Lupu 501

#35 Post by 01micko »

cbs wrote:I have a Compaq Armada M300:- 600 MHz, 320 MB Ram, 10GB hdd
I am using a PCMCIA wireless network card: EZ connect SMC2632Wv2
Its has both Windoze XP and a Poor man's install of Puppy Linux 4.3.1. Everything worked fine on my old notebook.
Downloaded Lupu 5.0.1 recently... but it did not detect my wireless card.
Does this mean that 4.3.1 will be the final version of Puppu Linux for this computer?
It is certainly possible that the kernel in Puppy 5 does not support your device.

A solution might be to use "ndiswrapper" which uses the windows wireless driver.

In "SNS" you choose the "Wndows" button and navigate to the windows folder where the driver is stored, OR in Dougal's network wizard you need to click "Load Module" and then "Use ndiswrapper" and again find the windows driver. The "inf" file is the one you want.

HTH
Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bremer

I need a new breed of puppy

#36 Post by bremer »

Hi! I like Puppy in many ways, but there's one thing that makes it too annoying to recommend and that makes me even consider switching.

I take my Puppy with me wherever I go and use it to boot various defective Microsoft Windows machines. When I do, Puppy asks me silly questions about what keyboard I want and what timezone and what my monitor's resolution should be and other things that I don't care about. I just want it to use the defaults, no questions, and boot up super-fast so I can get things done.

Is there a fast-boot version of Puppy or other tiny distro that's made for people like me? (Please don't tell me to use Damn Small Linux. I have tried it, and it works, but I don't like the direction they are heading getting rid of the desktop icons.)

Thank you very much.

smokey01

#37 Post by smokey01 »

bremer if you choose to save the pupsave file after your initial setup all of your settings will be saved. The first time you shut down puppy you willl be asked to save this file, select yes. Next time you boot, puppy will load your settings automatically.

I am assuming you are using a frugal install which would be the best type for your purpose. You could even have the save file on the original CD/DVD if you like. You just need to ensure you burn it as a multi session when you first burn the iso to DC/DVD.

bremer

#38 Post by bremer »

smokey01 wrote:bremer if you choose to save the pupsave file after your initial setup all of your settings will be saved.
Yeah, I knew about that, but for most of the machines I either don't want to or am not allowed to touch the hard disk.
smokey01 wrote:You could even have the save file on the original CD/DVD if you like. You just need to ensure you burn it as a multi session when you first burn the iso to DC/DVD.
Ah! Now that's something I didn't know. That would solve my problem nicely. I'll poke around and see if I can figure it out. Thank you!

bremer

#39 Post by bremer »

smokey01 wrote:You could even have the save file on the original CD/DVD if you like. You just need to ensure you burn it as a multi session when you first burn the iso to DC/DVD.
Okay, I tried it and it was surprisingly easy to use (I just clicked on "Save" on the desktop) and it is almost but not quite what I want. The problem is that I need the hardware to be autodetected every time because I'll be using this disk in many different machines. Saving it as multi-session seems to hardcode information (the video driver, at least) and I just want the autodetection scripts to assume the default for everything instead of asking me.

By the way, the save-to-multisession dialog boxes are very bizarrely worded right now. For example, one message was
LucidPuppy wrote: Have saved session to live-DVD
(unless it has not, which is an error).
Remove DVD media if you wish.
Do not press close button on drive.
Press ENTER key to close drive tray
(laptop drive, have to manually close)
What the heck is that message telling me and why? Personally, I'd change it to read simply, "Session successfully saved to Live-DVD".

bremer

How much is that doggy in the window?

#40 Post by bremer »

bremer wrote: Okay, I tried it and it was surprisingly easy to use (I just clicked on "Save" on the desktop)
Oops, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I clicked "Save' a second time and got a message that it was time to migrate to a new live-DVD. (Which is crazy since there is plenty of room left on the disk). It gives two options "Blank DVD-R" and "Upgrade DVD-R". I tried both and neither worked. I even tried blanking my Puppy DVD-RW first using "wodim blank=fast dev=/dev/sr0", but that also failed (it didn't even try to write; it just gave me the cryptic "Have saved session to live-DVD... or not" message I mentioned above). So now I've gone and erased my puppy by accident and I'm back where I started.

What breed of Puppy would be best for a person who just wants to boot quickly into a usable system on any random PC they encounter?