Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
tubeguy

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 15:27    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
latest Aqualung with no crashes, errors or freezes. Updated repos, used PPM to install, spent about 15 minutes getting extra libs and viola,

If you remember and have a chance we could use what you did, what you had to add etc., in order to make a pet to put in the repository and make available to everyone. If not then no worries--letting us know that it works is a big help. Thanks.

Heck yeah I'll do that- I've been trying to compile from source for weeks but the learning curve is apparently too much for me so far, the Aqualung site evens warns that if you haven't compiled before don't start with this. Wink

I don't remember all the libs, but I'll do a pfix=ram and go through it again and keep track of what goes into it.

What I originally wanted to do was create 2 pets, a stripper with just basic functionality and a kitchen-sink version with all the bells and whistles. The one I have now is whatever the Ubuntu version is, most but not all the options enabled. Anyway I will do it ASAP, love to see a fresh Aqualung pet someday.

Snail

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 16:42    Post subject: 5.01 stable? You have to be joking.  

Quote:
Playdaze wrote:

Why the same programs? Concerning a "stable" release: are there any reports of the software in Lucid Puppy crashing and causing data loss?

Does the whole system black screening and locking up solid immediately after clicking on the gxine descktop icon qualify as stable in your book? I have reported this and had it confirmed by another user.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=424070&sid=fd2c8393268b62b9027f13deda793f28

There seems to be a bug with the Puppy browser, which I also reported. Recently I had the unversal installer fail on an ext2 usb install.

What is the point of testing if our reports are ignored? I can't/don't want to demand fixes but it is extremely discouraging to read this.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 18:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
Does the whole system black screening and locking up solid immediately after clicking on the gxine descktop icon qualify as stable in your book? I have reported this and had it confirmed by another user.

I agree completely that's not stable. Do you know how to fix it? If so, please let us know. I am working on one way of fixing it--which is to change our multimedia player to mplayer. The preliminary results have been very good in luci-202 and 203. Would you begrudge the 3 weeks it will take to get 5.1 ready with its significant improvements, instead of working more on gxine which has been erratic in most or all puppies I have ever used.

However, every bug report helps and is important. And the things we hear in bug reports will be the things we test most carefully for in 5.1, so all of the bug reports are valuable. I wish I could fix every one the day I saw it, but even when I go to the bugzillas for Firefox or any other complicated software, I see bug reports that go back and have not been fixed yet.

IMHO the bugs for which we have fixes are not nasty enough bugs to run the risk of an update--and in my experience updating any operating system is a significant risk--when we get some more bug fixes it will be time for an incremental update, but I would ask for the short time to do something much more valuable in the long run.

And I just thought of it this way, Lucid puppy was released May 15, and has already had one very significant update. Having one update a month would be about what was expected in previous Puppies. We will probably fulfill that by having one more before we can deliver the substantial improvements of 5.1.

For the gxine bug I will spend the time this evening to prepare a pet of MPlayer--it is not a simple piece of software but I will give it a good shot. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize. I should have thought of this sooner. It turns out I had done all the work getting it ready for 5.1.

So here are gnome-mplayer and mplayer. You neede to install both. Gnome-mplayer is a frontend for mplayer--gnome-mplayer has two problems we know about: 1) it does not do full screen properly, and 2) it does not do DVDs with Menus. Other than that it seems to work. On the plus side, it is drag and drop onto the desktop icon, or open the program and look for files of course. I haven't been testing on 5.0.1 but I just run through some quick tests and it played everything that the 5.1 version plays--which is everything I have tried.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/gnome-mplayer-Lucid.pet
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mplayer-1.0rc3.pet

I regard this as a hot fix for people who have been having trouble with gxine. But as I have said--no update is without some risk, so please back up everything important.

Oh yes, I think it will make Chromium 5 crash, so if you want to use both you should go to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and delete the 4 gecko-mediaplayer plugins.

Here is SMPlayer. It is much larger than gnome-mplayer and on luci-203 it plays full screen but not apparently on 5.0.1. It is also a front end for mplayer.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/smplayer-Lucid.pet

Quote:
Wonder if the problem could be related to the video drivers in some situations?

That sounds plausible to me, and indeed we have the video drivers already in much better shape for 5.1.

Quote:
I'm all for a better multimedia player. Smile

Lobster makes the case that being drag and drop makes it better because it "just works" for the end user. Playing everything is a good sign too think Wink

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 Jun 2010, 18:49; edited 2 times in total
James C

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 18:35    Post subject:  

FWIW, I'm running 2 frugal installs of 5.01 as well as the testing install (now 203) and I've had exactly zero Gxine crashes or lockups.But, I'm all for a better multimedia player. Smile

Wonder if the problem could be related to the video drivers in some situations?
Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 18:55    Post subject:  Keep up good work...and do things in your own time  

playdayz, 01micko, everyone:

Just a note to say.. it all takes time to debug and test programs.. I have been at this for over forty years. TRUST ME.. it takes time to do the job right. So THANKS to everyone involved.

KEEP UP THE GOOD Work; at your own time schedule.

Thanks!! Very Happy
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 19:07    Post subject:  

The "High Performance" graphics in luci-203 from the first message in this thread do not work correctly on reboot--they drop back to software rendering instead of hardware.

For now Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart the X server will re-establish the High Performance hardware rendering.

Here is the more permanent fix. X needs to find a /dev/dri/card0 but card0 is in /dev instead. I tried to create the symlink /dev/dri/card0 to /dri/card0 but every time the computer was rebooted X would clean out the /dev/dri folder and delete the card0 symlink. So I created a symlink to /dev andrenamed it dri and placed it inside of /dev, so now card0 is still created in /dev but X can find it also in /dev/dri. I am sure someone will tell me if this is bad form, but if they do I hope they will suggest another way to solve the problem Wink I will fix it in luci-204.

Snail

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun 2010, 07:31    Post subject: Begrudging  

Quote:
I agree completely that's not stable. Do you know how to fix it? If so, please let us know. I am working on one way of fixing it--which is to change our multimedia player to mplayer. The preliminary results have been very good in luci-202 and 203. Would you begrudge the 3 weeks it will take to get 5.1 ready with its significant improvements, instead of working more on gxine which has been erratic in most or all puppies I have ever used.

I apologise if I seemed begrudging. I'm not attempting to crack any whips (A truly futile exercise if I was.). And I do appreciate all your work. Thank you for the pet.

If I could "fix it", I would of course have posted the details. However, I suspect that diagnosis of a bug that wipes all traces as this one does would challenge even a relatively advanced user, which I most obviously am not.

It isn't the existence of bugs in isolation that I was commenting on, they are inevitable. Rather it was the impression given that you considered everything was rosy about 501, in which case bug reports on that version are a waste of everyone's time.

I do feel, based on the 501 thread and my own experience, that I may have been fortunate as a newcomer to Puppy to be introduced to 420 and 431 first. 501 has some great features but a noob would be thoroughly turned off by some of the bugs reported. Maybe the pressure Barry put on has resulted in a too-early final release of Lupu. Perhaps the intro could take you to a known issues/workarounds/won't-fix-in-this-version page on the wiki?.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:41    Post subject:  

Quote:
introduced to 420 and 431 first

No question. I agree. 4.3.1 especially was much more refined than Lucid Puppy 5.0 and 5.0.1. Not only the difference between the the 8th in a series (or whatever) but also the difference between Barry doing it and someone new doing it. But we learn fast, and 5.1 is going to rock Wink

Also, I will be posting more in 5.0.1 making some of the new stuff available--such as the Mplayer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news on gnome-mplayer. It plays full-screen when the High Performance graphics are installed. Whcih makes sense i guess. Gnome-mplayer is the (much) smaller frontend for mplayer. Probably this means we can include gnome-mplayer and then offer SMPlayer in Quickpet. And btw SMPlayer does not play full-screen either when the High Performance graphics are *not* installed.
Snail

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun 2010, 16:21    Post subject: 501 and newcomers  

I am looking forward to 510. 501 is already astonishingly quick, on my machine, even for a Puppy. It's especially amazing, since it's Ubloatu-based. Please don't rush it, make sure it's rock solid before calling it a Lupu. Those that knowingly try out a Luci shouldn't mind problems, are actually looking for them to some extent. Once it gets branded as suitable for general use however there is the potential for a lot of heartbreak for the unwarned.

I do think that there could be advantages in more hand holding for newcomers to compensate for the difficulties that the less mature nature of 501 compared with 420 and 43x will cause them. The wiki and the initial help pages do not give any warning of these matters at present.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun 2010, 21:34    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
latest Aqualung with no crashes, errors or freezes. Updated repos, used PPM to install, spent about 15 minutes getting extra libs and viola,

If you remember and have a chance we could use what you did, what you had to add etc., in order to make a pet to put in the repository and make available to everyone. If not then no worries--letting us know that it works is a big help. Thanks.

OK, here's what I did:

1. Updated repos
2. Install aqualung_0.9~beta11 from PPM ubuntu-lucid-universe
- chose "examine dependencies"
- chose "download-and-install selected packages
- chose "archive.ubuntu.com"
- did not trim the fat
3. Install libcddb2: http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/libc/libcddb/libcddb2_1.3.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

I guess I didn't remember only needing one extra lib this time. I've spent hours kvetching to myself over missing libs with this thing over that last few weeks. Just so jazzed to have this version working!

Build version: R-1114

Homepage: http://aqualung.factorial.hu

This Aqualung binary is compiled with:

Optional features:
[+] LADSPA plugin support
[+] CDDA (Audio CD) support
[+] CDDB support
[+] Sample Rate Converter support
[+] iRiver iFP driver support
[+] Loop playback support
[+] Systray support
[+] Podcast support
[+] Lua (programmable title formatting) support

Decoding support:
[+] sndfile (WAV, AIFF, etc.)
[+] Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
[+] Ogg Vorbis
[+] Ogg Speex
[+] MPEG Audio (MPEG 1-2.5 Layer I-III)
[+] MOD Audio (MOD, S3M, XM, IT, etc.)
[+] Musepack
[ ] Monkey's Audio Codec
[+] WavPack
[+] LAVC (AC3, AAC, WavPack, WMA, etc.)

Encoding support:
[+] sndfile (WAV)
[+] Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
[+] Ogg Vorbis
[ ] LAME (MP3)

Output driver support:
[ ] sndio Audio
[+] OSS Audio
[+] ALSA Audio
[+] JACK Audio Server
[+] PulseAudio
[ ] Win32 Sound API

TAP-plugins are from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tap-plugins/, follow directions in readme for makefile editing.

Edit: Regarding the TAP plugins, I just ran make/make install without editing makefile, works that way.
aqualung_desktop.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  aqualung_desktop.jpg 
Filesize  146.78 KB 
Downloaded  237 Time(s) 
aqualung_installed_packages.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   100.05 KB
 Viewed   1043 Time(s)

aqualung_installed_packages.jpg

found_missing.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.7 KB
 Viewed   1044 Time(s)

found_missing.jpg

Last edited by tubeguy on Fri 11 Jun 2010, 18:42; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 17:03    Post subject:  

sc0ttman has posted this great game in the games section, a racing car game called strangely Racer Laughing

It works great with all the glx stuff in Luci

Of course I have been using it strictly for testing, trying not to have fun ( Razz )

Cheers

playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 17:14    Post subject:  

Awesome, tubeguy. I can build it with your instructions. The "trick" I have been using to build some programs is to do exactly what you did, but at the point when it asks Download Only or Download and Install--I choose to Download Only. Then I have all the deb files in my download directory and I use a script to "undeb" them in that directory--so then I have them in /usr, /etc and so forth. I put all of those into a new folder named just for instance Aqualung and that folder becomes Aqualung.pet when I run dir2pet on it. Thanks.
(I will post that script later today, just in case anyone finds this interesting Wink The script is named loop-undeb.sh which is what it does)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news today. It looks like we will be able to have Abiword 2.8.5 in Lucid Puppy 5.1. 2.8.5 is the current version--just released. We have 2.8.3 in Lucid Puppy 5.0. 2.8.5 compiled nicely in luci-204pre and it does not have any of the problems that spoiled versions of Abiword other than the 2.8.3 we used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

More good news. Gnome-mplayer will now play full-screen with the basic graphics (in 2.04 coming soon). We will in high likelihood use it for 5.1, even though SMPlayer is slightly more feature-filled--SMPlayer is also 10 times bigger (2MB to 20MB). SMPlayer is so big because it uses Qt, but it is a good one and we will have it available in either Quickpet or the new, simple, Lucid repo in Puppy Package Manager in 5.1--that's some news too by the way. And odd as it sounds, gnome-mplayer is not really a gnome program, in that it does not have any gnome dependencies--it's deps are all gtk (for the interface).
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 17:30    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
(I will post that script later today, just in case anyone finds this interesting Wink The script is named loop-undeb.sh which is what it does)

I certainly find it interesting. I'm still on a mission to compile Aqualung from source, version 1142. It's more of a geek pride thing at this point, I just want to teach myself how. Not enough time in a day, I seriously don't know how you devs get so much done in the amount of time you do it.

playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 19:10    Post subject:  

You are going to like this, tubeguy. I am using luci-204pre, which has the same mplayer as luci-203, and I just built Aqualung and all it needed was 4MB and about 6 dependencies--I think that mplayer has provided almost all of what it must need. This one would not work with 5.0.1 as it is--is yours working with 5.0.1--only with luci-203 I think but here it is. I will test it with 203 just to make sure now. <Yes. It works with luci-203.>

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/aqualung-0.9b11-Lucid.pet
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 19:45    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
You are going to like this, tubeguy. I am using luci-204pre, which has the same mplayer as luci-203, and I just built Aqualung and all it needed was 4MB and about 6 dependencies--I think that mplayer has provided almost all of what it must need. This one would not work with 5.0.1 as it is--is yours working with 5.0.1--only with luci-203 I think but here it is. I will test it with 203 just to make sure now. <Yes. It works with luci-203.>

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/aqualung-0.9b11-Lucid.pet

Actually I'm on luci 202...maybe it's time I moved on! But 202 is so stable and fast I couldn't help loading it up and doing a remaster for myself.

http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/tube-ified.jpg

Note the menu button, something I feel completes the package. Wink

I'm off to hit the streets for a while now, will get 203 later tonight. You, by the way, rock sir!

Page 14 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: