Zarfy - Change Screen Resolution Gui - MultiMonitor Support

Miscellaneous tools
jemimah

Zarfy - Change Screen Resolution Gui - MultiMonitor Support

#1 Post by jemimah »

Zarfy is a nice gtk gui for changing your screen resolution. Works well with multiple monitor setups.

Edit: I uploaded a stripped version as disciple suggested.
Attachments
zarfy-0.1.0-i486.pet
(47.06 KiB) Downloaded 5471 times
zarfy.jpg
(68.28 KiB) Downloaded 17165 times
Last edited by jemimah on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

That looks like a nice find.
Requires gio - someone might like to post a link to the best package for that...

Also jemimah, it is good if you can make sure programs and libraries are stripped before packaging them. If I go to /usr/bin and run `strip zarfy` it shrinks from 283 KB to to 39 KB. If I then compressed it with `upx zarfy` it would get even smaller (you can find upx on the forum).
N.B. when I upx things I say that I have done so, as it may be a good idea for people to un-upx them if they're putting them in an .sfs or a remastered CD.
To strip libraries you need to use `strip --strip-unneeded some_library.so`; without the --strip-unneeded option it would break the library.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Ah, I think gio is included in recent versions of glib, so one would have to update that or install Puppy 4.3 (is that what you have jemimah?) to get it.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

Thanks for the pointers. I did only test it on 4.3. I will strip it and repost it when I get a chance.

battleshooter

#5 Post by battleshooter »

Jemimah man, you're just so awesome! You've been going around solving all my problems :)

First there was Pwireless2, I always wanted my wireless to connect automatically, then there was Icewm for 4.3.1, and now this...

You're so awesome! Thanks so much! Screen extension is something I've never been able to pull off no matter how many times I mess is xorg.conf and Xinerama, but you've solved it for me with one simple pet with gui! Thanks man, you rock!

A slightly exuberant, but extraordinarily thankful,
Battleshooter :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

I'm not sure if you know I'm female... I admit "thanks woman" doesn't quite have the same ring. ;)

battleshooter

#7 Post by battleshooter »

Actually I do know :) I say "man" kinda like a surfer thing or whatever, it's just how I talk :) I was gonna write an explanation of this but I thought that if you made comment I would then explain myself better :)

That aside, the point is, I'm very grateful :)

Battleshooter

BTW, I'm female too, don't know how many people know though.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

battleshooter wrote:Actually I do know :) I say "man" kinda like a surfer thing or whatever, it's just how I talk :) I was gonna write an explanation of this but I thought that if you made comment I would then explain myself better :)

That aside, the point is, I'm very grateful :)

Battleshooter

BTW, I'm female too, don't know how many people know though.
Excellent - Have a good day, man!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

I'm female too, don't know how many people know though.
I am 50% female on my mothers side. :wink:

Is Zarfy in Puppeee?. It was in Fluppy and I made extensive use of it to display on my digital TV . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56496

Thanks Guys
Viva le difference 8)

Puppy
100% Penguin
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

big_bass

#10 Post by big_bass »

jemimah

thanks I wrote an advanced menu to change screen sizes in gxmessage for version 2.16 of puppy
it was uuuuuggly but worked :lol:

this is much better
========================================
gio is from the glib2 package I dont like to fill dependencies
with stray libs

for slaxers here it is
http://www.puppy2.org/slaxer/glib2-2.18 ... 3_SLXR.txz

*check your puppy versions glib2 number for the correct package

Joe

jemimah

#11 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote: Is Zarfy in Puppeee?. It was in Fluppy and I made extensive use of it to display on my digital TV . . .
It was until last week - I've replaced it with Grandr.

Grandr is less buggy, and more intuitive, but it requires Gconf.

Q5sys

#12 Post by Q5sys »

jemimah wrote:
Lobster wrote: Is Zarfy in Puppeee?. It was in Fluppy and I made extensive use of it to display on my digital TV . . .
It was until last week - I've replaced it with Grandr.

Grandr is less buggy, and more intuitive, but it requires Gconf.
Any chance of you releasing a Grandr pet with whatever deps it needs?

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

I ended up scrapping Grandr because it crashed when I connected my monitor. I am using LxRandr now. I think Igulider just posted a pet of it.

stiginge

#14 Post by stiginge »

Jemimah how do I get zarfy to remember my settings at reboot? cheers
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

stiginge

#15 Post by stiginge »

Now zarfy gui only has one screen to choose from , it doesn't include the second screen. whats up jemimah?

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

Have you checked that your second screen hasn't come unplugged?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

stiginge

#17 Post by stiginge »

hi disciple, the second (not working0 screen is the screen on the laptop, i can't get this to present on the zarfy gui, its only showing the connected external (working) screen.

darkcity

#18 Post by darkcity »

any luck?, ive been using the xrandr command...

rmcellig

#19 Post by rmcellig »

How exactly do I use Zarfy to configure my dual monitors?

ozboomer

#20 Post by ozboomer »

Folks:

Apologies if this is not the best place to post this query... but since this is a thread about "zarfy" which has been the most help of most of the relevant threads on the forum, I thought this might be the best place to post...

I have a dual-monitor PC configuration that I'm trying to get working reliably and it's been a bit tricky to get things working.

The PC has an EVGA GeForce 6200 512 MB video card (with DVI and VGA outputs) to which I have connected a Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (DVI) and an eMachines E190HQV (VGA). The video card goes through some "flashy moments" on startup but it works pretty well once the O/S is running Ok.

The configuration works Ok with Windows XP-SP3, using the NVIDIA 6.14.13.774 Windows drivers and in this case, I have the 2 monitors running as 2 independent screens... so that's Ok.

Under Puppy (Lucid 5.2.8, Slacko 5.6, Precise 5.7.1), I get either both monitors working Ok showing the same screen/content (the screens are "clones") OR I get one monitor working Ok and the other monitor (almost always the VGA output) showing random characters in various states of solid colour, flashing cells, etc.

So, coming to the forum and searching out info on multiple-monitor configurations, I found a few threads that spoke about xorg.conf and there was a lot of X11 display configuring (most of which I've forgotten about from years ago)... and although I tried a few things with using NV or Nouveau drivers, and manually editing the xorg.conf file, I wasn't able to get any different behaviour from the system or the displays.

I then found this current thread and collected the "zarfy" package (thanks jemimah)... and after installing it and playing about with the program for a while, I was able to get the 2 monitors showing something sensible - a single large desktop with each monitor providing its own "viewport" on the large desktop (Samsung = 1920x1080, eMachines = 1366x768)... Not bad!

However, the problem is that the settings that "zarfy" applies don't "stick". That is, if I restart the X-server or restart the PC, the previous configuration of the displays is restored and I generally only see one working (DVI) display while the other (VGA) display shows it's old random characters.

If I simply run "zarfy", it gets the displays back to the way they were (albeit, with a mis-confgured background picture), where each monitor is displaying a portion of a single, large desktop.

Is there some way that I can capture the changes that "zarfy" makes and somehow fling that info into the xorg.conf file so that I don't have to run "zarfy" every time I start the PC?

Thanks for any forthcoming info.