Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Roy

#81 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

Re: wireless connectivity... Does my attachment show anything useful? If I am reading it correctly, ndiswrapper is not installed -- but the quirky b43 module isn't loaded either. #iwconfig doesn't show wlan0, either.

-Roy
Attachments
fluppy wireless.png
(123.36 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

jemimah

#82 Post by jemimah »

Roy, the driver is not being detected - also I didn't compile the ndiswrapper kernel module for Fluppy yet.

Did you say the proprietary wl driver works well for this card and the b43 driver in Quirky does not work? I can build the wl module and you can test it.

jemimah

#83 Post by jemimah »

Big_Bass has kindly created an uploaded an ISO of Fluppy02.

http://www.puppy2.org/slaxer/Fluppy-002.iso

Md5sum: 39522428dff632abb35ed8ccce18fbfb

Grab it with:

Code: Select all

wget -c http://www.puppy2.org/slaxer/Fluppy-002.iso

Roy

#84 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

The proprietary wl.ko driver works wonderfully with the newer broadcom cards found in netbooks. Tempestuous had made a .pet for the Puppy 4.2x kernel (the numbers escape my memory at the moment), but has stated that Puppy 4.3x onwards has a different file arrangement in the .iso directories. The wl.ko seems to require ssb and b43 (and others maybe?) to be removed for proper operation without conflict. jrb accomplished this in a Special Puppy431 for broadcom 4312 (and other?) wifi cards (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50570).

I found that the b43 driver in Quirky 1.0 allowed a connection with my Broadcom 4312 wireless card, too -- but I'm kinda' in travel status and have never sat down long enough in a single period to see if it had problems staying connected for any length of time. Apparently, it is with this newer kernel that a freshly redesigned (reverse engineered) Broadcom b43 driver can be implemented.

rcrsn51 had problems maintaining connectivity with the b43 driver in Quirky 1.2 (noted in bug thread) and came up with the ndiswrapper fix referenced previously. Note that ndiswrapper, from my limited understanding, allows WEP encryption but not WAP or WAP2.

A dirty little secret of mine is that I have one of tempestuous' .pets for the wl.ko wireless driver that I use in Boxpup431. It's not supposed to work -- but I have never had any problems with it. [Developers' shrieks may be heard in the background now.] Of course, that particular academic exercise may be irrelevant to this discussion as Puppy431 is an even earlier kernel than you are using in Fluppy....

I realize that this is all rather undefinitive, but the bottom line is that if you want a tester for Fluppy with the broadcom card, I'm game. You just choose whichever route you want to take....

-Roy
Last edited by Roy on Tue 08 Jun 2010, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#85 Post by jemimah »

Roy,

Can you run lsmod and see if the b43 driver loaded?

If not, try 'modprobe b43' then run iwconfig and see if a wireless interface shows up.

Also running 'dmesg|grep b43' might provide a clue.

jemimah

#86 Post by jemimah »

I've been reading some. It seems the b43 module requires firmware. You can try copying this firmware from Quirky. The file is /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz. Just copy this file to the same place in Fluppy and reboot and that may solve it.

Roy

#87 Post by Roy »

It looks to me as if the b43 is being loaded (I still have the ndiswrapper file, though). See attachment.

-Roy

EDIT: The attachment is only a .txt file! I labeled it as a .gz file only to allow the upload. Remove .gz and substitute .txt for viewing.
Attachments
lsmod.gz
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 343 times

Roy

#88 Post by Roy »

The file is /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz.
Sorry, Jemimah. I don't have access to Quirky at the moment. Maybe next week sometime? (That almost reads badly -- but what can I do?)

-Roy

EDIT: I have found a bcm43xx-firmware.pet that I used with Boxpup413 on my external hard drive. Let's give that a try, shall we?
Last edited by Roy on Tue 08 Jun 2010, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#89 Post by jemimah »

Here it is.
Attachments
b43.tar.gz
(92.39 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

Roy

#90 Post by Roy »

Just an accurate observation here:

I have a folder named 'documents' on Fluppy's FAT32 USB drive. Every time I add a file to that folder, I have to fix the boot with XP before the next Puppy session can begin.

Roy

#91 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

Still no joy. 'iwconfig' shows wlan0, 'ifconfig wlan0 up' shows 'ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory'

But I want you to help me check something else....

There was a Puppy distro (past-tense) that always failed to unzip the broadcom firmware... where would I look to make sure this is not happening here?

-Roy

jemimah

#92 Post by jemimah »

Tried with both the windows and the linux installer and I can't reproduce it. I wonder what you are doing differently than what I do.

Roy

#93 Post by Roy »

No idea, jemimah. Never had this happen before. I'm actually in front of two machines ATM; one running XP and the other running Mint 9. The Fluppy stick and my external hard disc drive are the only things that are mine... so my troubleshooting is limited.

Roy

#94 Post by Roy »

Okay, I rebooted without my save file, renamed my save file so that it would not be recognized as such, and rebooted again...

Boot error

Back to the XP machine to rebuild the boot record... again.

Back to the netbook and rebooted. Created new save file. Rebooted. Put b43.tar.gz into /lib/modules/all-firmware/ and rebooted. Checked /lib/firmware/ directory to see if the firmware was being extracted.... nope.

Used my bcm43xx-firmware.pet to put the extracted firmware into that directory (maybe an earlier -- too early? -- version) and rebooted again.

Pwireless2 still shows zero access points and I'm still getting the 'ifconfig:SIOCSFIFFLAGS : no such file or directory'

jemimah

#95 Post by jemimah »

Can you try creating a bootable drive using BootFlash on Puppy and see if you still have the same problem creating files?

Use Bootflash to format a blank drive - say no when it asks if you want to install Puppy. Then copy the Fluppy files to the new drive. But don't copy the ldlinux.sys file - leave the one that Bootflash creates untouched.

Also, can you send me the output of dmesg?

Timmi

#96 Post by Timmi »

eeePC 900SD
Would not allow to add a profile for a hidden SSID on wifi.
Pretty slow on this machine (celeron 800MH, 512MB, 8GB SSD) - I guess this is as stated, better for Atom or better.

Roy

#97 Post by Roy »

Here is what I've been working with....

Your Broadcom firmware in /modules/....
Your Broadcom firmware manually extracted to /firmware/ (creates directory)
My Broadcom firmware .pet installed (puts broadcom firmware in /firmware/ without additional directory and adds microcode)

Sleep value in rc.d whatever adjusted to 10, then 100, then 400....

dmesg.txt sent via EMAIL (problems trying to attach)

-Roy

jemimah

#98 Post by jemimah »

Timmi wrote:eeePC 900SD
Would not allow to add a profile for a hidden SSID on wifi.
Pretty slow on this machine (celeron 800MH, 512MB, 8GB SSD) - I guess this is as stated, better for Atom or better.
Yeah it's going to be slow compared to Puppeee (especially booting, but I expect it should run ok) - it's amazing what a custom kernel buys you!

The hidden SSID thing is a bug in the RT2860 driver. Does work in Puppeee? I use the manufacturer's driver there - might be less buggy - I haven't got a lot of feedback either way.

Roy

#99 Post by Roy »

Used Igulder's pup-432-2.6.25.16.iso to use BootFlash; exited process upon being asked for a Puppy image. Copied fluppy02.zip onto 4G thumb drive and opened extraction utility; removed ldlinux.sys file from file selection and extracted remaining files.

This is not a bootable disc

Placed thumb drive back into running linux environment and ran bootinst.sh; created bootins.bat

This is not a bootable disk

Put the thumb drive back into an XP environment and ran the Windows boot utility

Success!

jemimah

#100 Post by jemimah »

So bootflash doesn't work - something is awry.

Try running bootflash, but don't copy anything to the drive afterwards. When you try to boot it, you should get an error about not being able to find linux - but not an error about the drive not being bootable.

Then if that works, don't copy the zip file to the drive - extract the files somewhere else, then copy the files to the flash drive. Make sure to preserve the directory structure.

Also try a different usb drive and see if you get the same results.

Keep an eye on the ldlinux.sys file and make sure it doesn't disappear at any time during the process. This is not a regular file - if it gets moved or overwritten, it breaks.