Official 4.3.2

News, happenings
wuwei

#321 Post by wuwei »

Hi ttuuxxx
count my vote for a continued/finished 432, too.

Despite Lupu and Quirky, 432v3 is still my main Puppy.
And there is a very good reason for it:

Internet connectivity

I don't know what happened on the way from 4 series to 5 and Quirky. But it is impossible to maintain a pppoe connection during long inactive periods and through reboots. In Lupu I wrote a crude script as workaround, but Quirky is just stubborn and won't keep the connection.
Here in 432 it is just making a symlink from /usr/sbin/pppoe-start_shell to /root/Startup; and it works.

The only thing that 432 can benefit from Quirky is the multimedia versatility. Barry got a lot more video codecs running in Gxine now, than any other Puppy.

So, if time is not your bottleneck, please do continue to develop 432 and 214x for older hardware.

IsleVegan

latest suite of puppy OSs after 4.3.1 do not work

#322 Post by IsleVegan »

This old laptop's built-in display died and the only official puppy OS that works on it is 4.3.1 and 4.2.1. I have tried the latest version of knoppix and various Ubuntu versions and they all turn off the external display and do not respond to the Fn-F5 key to turn on the external display.

I hope that any future versions will still work with this computer as it is. I'm using 4.3.1 quite happily now.

Thanks for the good work. An updated and auto-updating web browser would be nice, though! :-)

Aloha

Snail

Yes Please!

#323 Post by Snail »

ttuuxx if you are really keen on coming back to 432 it'd be the best news I've had in puppy since I downloaded 432V3! A stable bugfix of 431 with the upgraded Seamonkey is IMHO the best possible Puppy at this time, at least for some of us. As your 2.14 has shown, it is not necessarily the highest numbered version that is the best for everybody.

Gurglin

#325 Post by Gurglin »

HI f00,

Sorry for the belated response
`f00 wrote:4) sounds like the pupX 'screensaver' kicking in - normally blanks the screen after like 10 min (600 sec) of inactivity. Puppy is green by default (and to save laptop batts)
I fully agree on blanking the screen for sparing energy, that is why I mentioned the malfunctioning of the screensaver. After going to hibernation the monitor remains blank for a couple of minutes, for then starting again without any human intervention! :?
`f00 wrote:off-the-cuff - Xvesa would be wonderful for a 'just works' (if it does or can be made to..)
having a simple x-display is a good thing :)
I think Xvesa is NECESSARY for a distro targeting old PCs
[url=http://gurgleitaly.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/open-letter-to-open-source-community/]Open Letter to the Open Source Community[/url]

James C

#326 Post by James C »

Still using this as my main OS every day and the only major "bug" that comes to mind is the fact that xvesa doesn't work.Everything else seems pretty solid. :)
I know one user was having troubles with Abiword, but it works fine here and I couldn't duplicate the problems.Hopefully you'll find the time to get this finished so we can have one last solid 4 series release. :)
My install is working fine though so whatever you choose is good here. :)

Gurglin

An idea for maximizing the impact of your work

#327 Post by Gurglin »

ttuuxxx,

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to release 4.3.2 and 2.14X not just as updates of legacy (which might be interpreted as obsolete) 4 and 2 series, but almost as they were new distros.

As an example, instead of Puppy 4.3.2 and Puppy 2.14X you could call them T4X and T2X, highlighting for each of them which are the main characteristics and target PC specificities for preferring them to LuPu and Quirky. For instance, the 4X series has a good compatibility with WinModems, capital dispersed in later releases.

Just add a different window manager or change a bit the desktop outlook (like you already did in the past with your Puppies), and that is it!

You and Barry should also consider that in such a case the potential impact and visibility on distrowatch would be higher than merely launching updates of versions which (at the eyes of a non-puppy users) are already old at their birth.

I would have a chat with Barry on this matter, if I were you...

Again, it is just an idea...

BTW, it looks there was somebody else who already launched Puppy 4.3.2...
[url=http://gurgleitaly.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/open-letter-to-open-source-community/]Open Letter to the Open Source Community[/url]

tlchost

Re: An idea for maximizing the impact of your work

#328 Post by tlchost »

Gurglin wrote: BTW, it looks there was somebody else who already launched Puppy 4.3.2...
Yep...and it works quite well.....

Thom

DaveS

#329 Post by DaveS »

Can anyone explain why gnumeric cant open its own files in this release? Terminal gives this error:

Code: Select all

gnumeric: symbol lookup error: gnumeric: undefined symbol: gsf_xml_probe
Bit of a showstopper :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jpeps

#330 Post by jpeps »

DaveS wrote:Can anyone explain why gnumeric cant open its own files in this release? Terminal gives this error:

I posted libgsf-1.14.18-i486.pet on page 16 that solves the problem

DaveS

#331 Post by DaveS »

jpeps wrote:
DaveS wrote:Can anyone explain why gnumeric cant open its own files in this release? Terminal gives this error:

I posted libgsf-1.14.18-i486.pet on page 16 that solves the problem
Great thanks, fixed.............. :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nubc

#332 Post by nubc »

Two bad developments for me:
1. Yahoo refused to accept GAIM as a chat client.
2. Ayttm would not connect to Yahoo servers

Has anyone successfully chatted @Yahoo with Ayttm?

EDIT: Argh, ttuuxxx's Classic Pup 2.14X is the only Puppy I could get to do Yahoo Chat. Meebo, that is.

darkcity

#333 Post by darkcity »

the ISO image for puppy 4.3.2v3 is no longer in ttuuxxx's directory

tubeguy

#334 Post by tubeguy »

darkcity wrote:the ISO image for puppy 4.3.2v3 is no longer in ttuuxxx's directory
I have it here: http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/iso/4.3.2.V3.iso
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

darkcity

#335 Post by darkcity »

much thanks, tubeguy ; -)

scsijon

#336 Post by scsijon »

darkcity wrote:the ISO image for puppy 4.3.2v3 is no longer in ttuuxxx's directory
this may mean that we are about to get the long awaited 4.3.2v4 and xvesa has been fixed

hoorrraaaayyyy for ttuuxxx
scsijon

Gurglin

#337 Post by Gurglin »

scsijon wrote:
this may mean that we are about to get the long awaited 4.3.2v4 and xvesa has been fixed

hoorrraaaayyyy for ttuuxxx
scsijon
Sorry for "sinking" your enthusiasm with this "rocket" written by ttuuxxx on may 30 on the "Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series" thread
ttuuxxx wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:Download link is dead :(.

Yes all my 100MB+ iso's were delete from Eric's puppylinux.ca server by the host. I need to find a new one which can handle my sort monthly downloads.
many dev's that have had iso's on .ca are in the same boat.
ttuuxxx
:?

bill

A Site to park your creations

#338 Post by bill »

Hi guys,have you considered using 4Shared ? Maximum file size is 200MB,Max storage is 10 GB.

http://www.4shared.com

scsijon

#339 Post by scsijon »

bummer! for ttuuxxx and the others.
yolu have my simpathies
scsijon

jemimah

#340 Post by jemimah »

If you all are getting bored waiting for Ttuuxxx to come back, I could use your help testing Fluppy. It has most of the bugfixes that 4.3.2 has, plus a bunch of new stuff. I got a lot of inspiration from Ttuuxxx's work.