We Don't Feel So Good About M$

For discussions about security.
afgs

We Don't Feel So Good About M$

#1 Post by afgs »

http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Googl ... ood_About_
The cited reason is security concerns; not entirely surprising...

jpeps

Re: We Don't Feel So Good About M$

#2 Post by jpeps »

afgs wrote:http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Googl ... ood_About_
It doesn't surprise me either. I spent about a week trying to get rid of some Trojan on my housemate's windows PC, using about 5 different anti malware, anti virus programs along with registry cleaners, cleaning out startup processes, etc, etc. Every time I think it's licked, up pops the same garbage....(with no browser open, two popup blockers, 2 firewalls, etc, etc)...Finally, I just plugged in a USB thumb drive with puppy on it..which was what I should have done initially. Funny thing, even the Microsoft Update site wouldn't work.

russoodle

#3 Post by russoodle »

jpeps wrote:
afgs wrote:http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Googl ... ood_About_
snip....(with no browser open, two popup blockers, 2 firewalls, etc, etc)...snip
Please educate me if i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but i was under the impression that it's not a good idea to run dual firewalls with Window$, as they're likely to conflict and cause issues. I always thought that, if one was running a 3rd-party firewall, then the Window$ one should be disabled.

(similarly with AV, one at a time...mind you, since i rarely boot into 'doze these days, i'm not up with all the latest)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

russoodle wrote: Please educate me if i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but i was under the impression that it's not a good idea to run dual firewalls with Window$, as they're likely to conflict and cause issues. I always thought that, if one was running a 3rd-party firewall, then the Window$ one should be disabled.

(similarly with AV, one at a time...mind you, since i rarely boot into 'doze these days, i'm not up with all the latest)
Initially I had only Kerio running, but since nothing else worked, I activated Windows firewall as well. No conflict, but it didn't help. Anyway, she now has a much better OS loaded that doesn't need a firewall or any of the other worthless malware virus software. All this started when Desktop Security 2010 suddenly appeared.

re AV: It's good to have several flavors on hand, since they pick up different problems...although you might want only one running in the background.