BoxPuppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
2lss

#61 Post by 2lss »

Thanks jemimah, my bluetooth is now working! The bluetooth.conf in /usr/etc/dbus-1/system.d was still missing, but I just coppied it from the latest puppeee.

One other small thing I noticed (may be my wpa_supplicant.conf) is that pwireless only auto connects to the previously connected network after restarting. I.e. I have a profile for network A (aka home) and network B aka(work), and I am connected to Network A. If I reboot at home, pwireless autoconnects to network A, but if I boot at work, pwireless does not autoconnect to the network. I have to connect to network B manually. After that, I can reboot and autoconnect to B fine but when I go home and boot up, I have to manually connect to network A again. I'm not sure if this is per design, a bug, or my wpa_supplicant.conf file. I will try see if I can replicate this with puppeee and a different conf file. IMO its not related to the kernel bug but I could be wrong.

jemimah

#62 Post by jemimah »

You need to put in in Roaming mode by pressing the Roam button.

2lss

#63 Post by 2lss »

Oh so thats what the roam button does :shock: . I guess I should have read the manual. Thanks for pointing that out, everything is working good now.

Dancer

Re: BoxPuppeee

#64 Post by Dancer »

[quote="jemimah"]By popular request, I've remastered BoxPup for the Eeepc.
Download: http://drop.io/puppeee

Hi.

Am veeeery new to this but I think I have fallen a little in love with boxpup! Not only does it have a look I like, but it's cut back to the things I want in my puppy! (As an aside, why does the default puppy not come with a package uninstaller or is that a stupid question?)

Anyway. am enjoying playing around with boxpup v 4.3.1 but would dearly like to use the one talked about above specifically for my eeepc.

I think things have move on and now all the boxpup stuff has vanished.

Any chance of being able to download it somewhere else?

I personally prefer an iso version (got rather confused with using the individual files) if that's at all possible?

jemimah

#65 Post by jemimah »

I've been meaning to update boxpuppeee, but all my time right now is going into getting Puppeee into releasable state.

You can get BoxPuppeee here:http://puppeee.com/files/BoxPuppeee/
And the kernel from here:http://puppeee.com/files/2.6.31.5/
Download all the files (you don't need box.jpg though, that's just a screenshot), so there are 5 files in total you need to get.

The install is not hard! If you already have a bootable usb stick, just copy the files onto it, and it will work. If you don't have one, use Puppy's Bootflash utility to make one, then copy the files onto it.

The reason you can't uninstall stuff is that puppy uses a compressed filesystem to save space, and the compressed filesystems are read-only. So even if you delete files, it only looks like they are gone, but they are really still there, just hidden. You can edit the sfs files, but you have to unpack them, make your changes, then recompress them - and you can't do this while running. So, uninstalling is actually fairly complicated!

Dancer

#66 Post by Dancer »

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, especially as you are clearly working so hard on these eeepc updates and the beta.

Unfortunately I can't get those files you've linked to work.

I should say I only have one usb stick and am trying to create files on it using unetbootin from a winxp setup on my main computer.

With your linked files, when my eeepc 901 starts loading, it gets as far as performing a switch root to the layered filesystem and then there is a kernel panic - not syncing: attempt to kill init.

Just to be sure I tried the same with your files for your 4.5beta and it all works fine, so nothing wrong with the way I'm using unetbootin.

Sorry to be a pain but the boxpup setup really does what I want. I'm a firefox lover (I couldn't get the v3.6 pet to load on your beta version) and don't want much else except abiword/gnumeric and a media player at the moment.

And, to me, Boxpup has such a lovely desktop design.

Any help much appreciated.

jemimah

#67 Post by jemimah »

I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Make sure not to mix and match the kernel or other files from puppeee.

jtouso

Kernel Panic

#68 Post by jtouso »

Problems with BoxPuppeee...
Downloaded from your two links and copy to usb bootable sd (using unetbootin).
..."Perdorming a `switch_root´ to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic - not syncing:Attempted to kill init!

Asus EeePc 901 with 2 Mb ram. Any problem with Puppeee rc 3.5 and also with the older BoxPuppeee
Solutions? Ideas?
Thanks

renatogui

problems with boxpupeee

#69 Post by renatogui »

jtouso:
I also had some problems "not syncing" boxppupee.
I was suspecting of corrupted files or damaged pendrive.
After checking the memory hardware, rebuilding and reformating partition and redownloading boxpuppeee last edition files from site with no success, I tried to use the first edition of boxpuppeee and Bingo! everithing went fine.

So, I am afraid there is something wrong with last boxpuppeee (the version that uses eeex-436.sfs).

Use the first edition that uses pup-431.sfs instead of eeex-436.sfs.

T_Hobbit

#70 Post by T_Hobbit »

The links are not working anymore. Where can I get a copy of boxpupeee?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

raffy

jemimah

#71 Post by raffy »

Try here: http://smokey01.com/jemimah/

At least you still have access to puppeee's or the later fluppy's (or the recent saluki's).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

T_Hobbit

#72 Post by T_Hobbit »

Not there. Thanks anyway!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

ally

#73 Post by ally »

files are still available on the wayback machine (very useful tool)

go here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201012211320 ... oxPuppeee/

ally :)

starhawk

#74 Post by starhawk »

Downloading, to save in my little personal archive.

Wish I could upload 'em all somewhere... IIRC russoodle didn't give me enough space for that tho...

EDIT: maybe not. Doesn't look like there's an ISO present :(

ally

#75 Post by ally »

I have found since my post that the boxpuppeee eeex-436.sfs may be currupt as I cannot mount that file

have had a search around to a) find another b) find commands to repair without success

any help here would be appreciated

still running puppeee1.0 on my eeepc - wicked good!

:)