Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

How to configure KMS in LHP 5.00

#21 Post by tazoc »

@All,
Thank you for the helpful feedback. From research on KMS I've gleaned some ideas for the display problems we've seen.
From https://publictest6.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/KMS
KMS stands for Kernel ModeSetting. That means the kernel is responsible for switching video modes and managing the video outputs (this was previously handled by Xorg).
KMS enabled hardware

Most AMD/Radeons (from R100 to R500 on Fedora 11). Most Intel hardware as well.
Sometimes allowing the kernel to manage the video outputs causes a boot to blank (black) screen. I thought our kernel 2.6.33.2 (from Quirky) had KMS disabled, but I found a kernel module drm_kms_helper in /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/ so I suspect it is still active. (If you want to know what kernel modules your display driver might use, that directory is one place to look. Another is Menu | System | Hardinfo | Kernel Modules.) The kernel 2.6.30.5 in LHP 4.43 does not have drm_kms_helper.

So here's how to disable/configure KMS in LHP 5.00: from the LiveCD boot menu enter:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram xforcevesa nomodeset
(If you are booting from GRUB, simply add a space followed by xforcevesa nomodeset to the end of the kernel line.)

If the above doesn't help try:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram xforcevesa nomodeset acpi=off
or
Intel graphics: instead of nomodeset try: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
ATI Radeon: radeon.modeset=0
nVidia: nouveau.modeset=0

Tip: If you know which kernel module your display card is using, you can find the available kernel parms by typing modinfo <kernel_module_name> in a terminal. So for nVidia you'd type modinfo nouveau. (The Xorg driver for nVidia is nv but the kernel module is nouveau. For Intel, the i810 driver is now intel and the kernel modules are i810, i830 and i915.)

If any of this is helpful for Lighthouse 5.00, please let me know specifically what works, and I'll place it on the first post and the web site.

[Edit 2010.06.22: Feedback indicates puppy xforcevesa nomodeset usually works for LHP 5.00. LHP 5.00B and later ISOs include this by default.

According to ICPUG, With Intel855 use the kernel parameter i915.modeset=1 and either auto-configure Xorg (option 1 in xorgwizard) or choose option 2 and select the intel driver.
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 22:38, edited 11 times in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#22 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi tazoc,

Your post above solved my black screen problem.

Since I boot from GRUB, I added a space followed by nomodeset to the end of the kernel line per your suggestion. Then it booted normally, however, I had to use the vesa driver which worked OK. After creating a save file and loading mariner, I then selected "nv" which was the only option for nvidia cards. I tried the nvidia-195 pet for Lucid, but it did not work.

So far everything I've tried works except playing wav files. On wav files, I get audio, but no video.(Message: Fatal error - Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.)

Thank you for another fine distribution,
Jim :D

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

tazoc

#23 Post by tazoc »

Hi Jim,
Glad to hear that nomodeset helps! Maybe I will put it into the default isolinux.cfg for the next ISO, so it won't be necessary when booting from the LiveCD.
Jim1911 wrote:So far everything I've tried works except playing wav files. On wav files, I get audio, but no video.(Message: Fatal error - Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.)
I just tried all the wav files in /usr/share/audio and they played without error. Maybe you've got a wmv file? If so, and MPlayer is giving the error, right-click on MPlayer | Preferences | Video and select a different driver. Or right-click on the wmv file and select Gxine.
Hope that helps,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

jasmac

#24 Post by jasmac »

Hi TazOC,

Well I find myself in a situation where I am no longer going to be able to commit any of my time into helping with this great distro you have created. Life is busy, LHP will always be on my USB and will travel with me. Can I just say that since finding LHP and using it as well as contributing where I was able, it has be a pure joy. Best of luck with the development of your new series, I leave you my final desktop for your perusal. Enjoy life and enjoy LHP.

Cheers

Jason

Diggs

#25 Post by Diggs »

tazoc wrote: Sorry about your trouble! Have you tried using 'puppy pfix=nocopy' at the bootmenu?-TazOC
It works, but is this supposeed to be the permanent fix? That we need to catch at the boot screen on every boot and manually enter this to avoid kernel panic?

Also, using an Radeon HD3850 graphics card there is no way I can get Xorg to run and must use vesa unfortunately as I would like to use the hardware acceleration of that card. (And, I haven't found how/where the proprietary ATI drivers are installed.)

Diggs

Re: Lighthouse Pup 5.00 A 224M k2.6.33.2

#26 Post by Diggs »

tazoc wrote: 2010.05.27 If boot ends with a blank (black) screen, type 'puppy pfix=ram nomodeset' at the boot menu and see How to disable KMS
Actually for me it has to be nomodeset xforcevesa for the boot not to end in a black screen.

ICPUG

#27 Post by ICPUG »

Goodness Tazoc - you are really something.

I've yet to try the new version of LHP but when I saw the video problem reports I got kinda depressed. I have integrated intel855 graphics on my laptop which needed the i810 driver in the past - intel driver does not work in all resolutions.

With lupu, i810 didn't work either and I was stuck with the vesa driver. I presumed this was because of the kernel with KMS support as identified by Barry.

Now you have come up with some totally new info to disable KMS and try kernel parameters to get intel to work again.

Even if I find this doesn't work the effort you have made to resolve the issue is more than anyone else. Thank you. Hopefully, I will find something that will work amongst the new info.

Jim1911

#28 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote:I just tried all the wav files in /usr/share/audio and they played without error. Maybe you've got a wmv file? If so, and MPlayer is giving the error, right-click on MPlayer | Preferences | Video and select a different driver. Or right-click on the wmv file and select Gxine.
You are correct, it is an wmv file that I tried. :oops: , however, trying to set preferences in MPlayer, it freezes on the Subtitles section as shown in the attached photo and will not respond to the mouse or keyboard. Gzine does play the file fine.

Does Mariner include nv plus other nvidia drivers as in your previous distribution? If so, they aren't being offered as choices.

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 28 May 2010, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Barburo

#29 Post by Barburo »

I echo the comments from ICPUG.
i915.modeset=1 worked for me like a charm. My hardware details are:
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz
Memory : 3046MB (258MB used)
Operating System : Lighthouse Pup 5.00 A
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 28 May 2010 08:00:58 AM PDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20100328 2010Q1 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
I first tried i915.modeset=0 to no avail - blackscreen from probe and selecting Intel as the driver failed to get a working test from Xorg.
i915.modeset=1 probe also returned a blackscreen, but selecting Intel as the driver gave me a sharp, properly configured 1360x768 screen. DRI is active and ant-inspect runs at about 43fps.
Strangely all of the subsequent messages whether console or "boxed" now display at the max resolution so appear quite small on the screen, but quite legible and usable so no problem - just something I have not seen before. A consequence of the i915.modeset=1 parameter I guess.
I opted for an ext3 save file (the default) and I see that fsck is giving me an error. The fsck.err file appears in /home with the text: sda6,ext3,/lhp5a/spupsave-5a.3fs
As I reported earlier my wifi interface wlan0 is recognized and easily configurable but I still have problems with making the settings persist - I have to run the wireless wizard every boot.
Other than that I am now filled with zeal and will continue testing for bugs.
Thanks Taz!
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tazoc

#30 Post by tazoc »

jasmac wrote:Hi TazOC,

Well I find myself in a situation where I am no longer going to be able to commit any of my time into helping with this great distro you have created. Life is busy, LHP will always be on my USB and will travel with me. Can I just say that since finding LHP and using it as well as contributing where I was able, it has be a pure joy. Best of luck with the development of your new series, I leave you my final desktop for your perusal. Enjoy life and enjoy LHP.

Cheers

Jason
Hi Jason,
You will be missed and I've very much appreciated your contributions. You have a great talent! I understand other commitments come first and wish you all the best. :)
Take care,
TazOC
Diggs wrote:It works, but is this supposeed to be the permanent fix? That we need to catch at the boot screen on every boot and manually enter this to avoid kernel panic
Good point! I'm working on some changes to the init script that disable copy to ram unless puppy pfix=copy or c or fc (fsck and copy) is entered at the boot menu. I don't understand why the copy sometimes fails even though I've checked for available memory in the script and tested dozens of configurations in VirtualBox.
Also, using an Radeon HD3850 graphics card there is no way I can get Xorg to run and must use vesa unfortunately as I would like to use the hardware acceleration of that card. (And, I haven't found how/where the proprietary ATI drivers are installed.)
I see. This is a long-shot but try radeon.modeset=1 (without xforcevesa and without vga=) and choose radeon in xorgwizard. If that gives a blank screen, please try choosing radeonhd in xorgwizard if you haven't already. If still no go, go back to nomodeset xforcevesa or the least parms that work, use the Video Reporting Tool in the System Menu and attach /tmp/root/report-video-full.gz to a post for me. I don't know if the proprietary Catalyst driver would work or not. It would need to be re-compiled for the new kernel and I haven't had time to try. (That's why you couldn't find it.)

From Googling that card it appears that it is an RV670, a few of which were AGP instead of PCIe. As CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set in the new kernel from Quirky I don't know if there is a way to get acceleration working if the radeon driver doesn't work. But I'd still like to see the report-video-full on this card as there are some other kernel parms for radeon (modinfo radeon in a terminal) we might try.
Thanks,
TazOC
Jim1911 wrote:trying to set preferences in MPlayer, it freezes on the Subtitles section as shown in the attached photo and will not respond to the mouse or keyboard. Gzine does play the file fine.
Hmm, what happens when you close the Warning message (see taskbar in screenshot)? If you had to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or reset the machine, try opening MPlayer from the menu and then changing the video driver before opening the wmv.
Does Mariner include nv plus other nvidia drivers as in your previous distribution? If so, they aren't being offered as choices.
No, I haven't tried to compile any proprietary drivers yet--it's on my to do list. Instead, try nouveau.modeset=1 on the kernel line. From modinfo nouveau, there are other parms to try, nouveau.agp=0 or nouveau.accel=1 or nouveau.accel=0
Barburo wrote:I echo the comments from ICPUG.
i915.modeset=1 worked for me like a charm....
...selecting Intel as the driver gave me a sharp, properly configured 1360x768 screen. DRI is active and ant-inspect runs at about 43fps.
Hey Barburo, that's very good news! To me that says that Intel i915 KMS is working--with hardware acceleration. Your 3D-Demo frame rate is even better than my radeon setup (~40fps).
I opted for an ext3 save file (the default) and I see that fsck is giving me an error. The fsck.err file appears in /home with the text: sda6,ext3,/lhp5a/spupsave-5a.3fs
That's normal with the new improper shutdown recovery feature from Quirky. The fsck.err tracking file is created at boot up and removed during a normal shutdown. If it is still there at next boot then e2fsck automatically checks both the host part and the pupsave for errors.
-TazOC

Diggs

#31 Post by Diggs »

tazoc wrote:
jasmac wrote:
From Googling that card it appears that it is an RV670, a few of which were AGP instead of PCIe. As CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set in the new kernel from Quirky I don't know if there is a way to get acceleration working if the radeon driver doesn't work.
-TazOC
Correct. It is an RV670 and an AGP card. I'll do some trials with a few other things and let you know. It behaved the same way when I had Ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. The solution there was to do an install from the live CD then on the reboot, stop at grub and add nomodeset xforcevesa to the command line. Once booted to vesa I could go in and install the ATI proprietary drivers and reboot right to an xorg desktop without a problem. I'm not sure how proprietary drivers install into Puppy but will give it a try.

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote: Hmm, what happens when you close the Warning message (see taskbar in screenshot)? If you had to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or reset the machine, try opening MPlayer from the menu and then changing the video driver before opening the wmv.
Good catch, that enabled preferences to be set. However, none of the other drivers worked either. I guess, that I can change the default player to gxine.

Thanks,
Jim

abushcrafter

#33 Post by abushcrafter »

Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).

Got veasa running with mouse not working by letting it update one of my pup-saves :(. I think it was ignoring "pfix=ram" too. Oh well. Poor you has a lot of debugging to do if you can face it still :roll:.

Jim1911

#34 Post by Jim1911 »

The procedure referenced in my signature would not work to install e-Sword, so I installed the older wine-1.1.40. After that change, e-Sword works great.

You may not have seen that zigbert has updated Pprocess
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

tazoc

#35 Post by tazoc »

abushcrafter wrote:Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).
Hi, have you tried puppy pfix=ram,nocopy i915.modeset=1 or something like that? I haven't got the copy-to-ram sorted out yet. In the initscript I set the MINRAM2CPY = 2.75 x size of main file which should be more than enough, but reports indicate the copy still fails with a kernel panic sometimes. Using the new-for-LHP 5.00 pfix=nocopy should prevent the kp.
-TazOC
Jim1911 wrote:The procedure referenced in my signature would not work to install e-Sword, so I installed the older wine-1.1.40. After that change, e-Sword works great.
Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried it with 5.00A.
You may not have seen that zigbert has updated Pprocess.
No, I hadn't seen that, thank you. I did find an alternative that looks promising:
xfce4-taskmanager hacked for puppy
-TazOC

Jim1911

#36 Post by Jim1911 »

No, I hadn't seen that, thank you. I did find an alternative that looks promising: xfce4-taskmanager hacked for puppy
-TazOC
Yes, technosaurus, is trying to get it into DuDE which prompted zigbert to update his pprocess. The next version of DuDE will probably have the capability to access both.
Jim

Barburo

No Audio

#37 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
I get no audio when I run Alsaconf
Looked in /tmp/bootsysinit.log and see (in part)
chgrp: /dev/audio: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/admmidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/adsp: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/aloadC0: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/amidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/audio: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/audio0: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/dmmidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/midi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/music: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/seq: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sequencer2: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sndstat: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/speaker: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/amixer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mixer1: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/admmidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/adsp': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/aloadC0': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/amidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/amixer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio0': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/dmmidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/midi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mixer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/music': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/seq': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sequencer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sequencer2': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sndstat': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/speaker': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mixer1': No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/fd0*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/fd1*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mmc*: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/fd0*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/fd1*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/hd*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mmc*': No such file or directory
Any suggestions how to go about getting sound?
B.

Abnormalter

Sound on Asus eeePC 900 workedn't!

#38 Post by Abnormalter »

I'm too! On my Asus eeePC 900 I have not sound anlogically...
And the Licid Puppy 5 on 2.6.33.2 kernal has analogically problems. Fucking newest kernel, who has minor version < 10-15 =)

Barburo

#39 Post by Barburo »

One other quirk.
Using LXDE - I configure it with wbar at the bottom and system bar at the top.
When I exit to command prompt (say to run alsaconf) then xwin to reshow LXDE the system bar doesn't show. I can switch to other WMs (JWM Xfce) but on switching back to LXDE still no bar. I can only get it back by rebooting.
B.

abushcrafter

#40 Post by abushcrafter »

tazoc wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).
Hi, have you tried puppy pfix=ram,nocopy i915.modeset=1 or something like that? I haven't got the copy-to-ram sorted out yet. In the initscript I set the MINRAM2CPY = 2.75 x size of main file which should be more than enough, but reports indicate the copy still fails with a kernel panic sometimes. Using the new-for-LHP 5.00 pfix=nocopy should prevent the kp.
Trying it now. btw have you seen this:
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - HOWTO Remaster a big Puplet (~700 MB)